Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I made this for the Trump thread but it works here also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Count me into the “Alex soon to be seen in Russia shilling for Putin” crowd.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pirate Radar posted:

Does the judgement vanish upon his death, or do FSS and his estate remain obligated to continue paying down the balance if they continue to make money after his passing?

I don't know the answer re: Jones estate after death because that's a Texas law specific question assuming he dies in Texas while still residing there. Typically there is a method for people to make claims on an estate, though, and I'd be shocked if there isn't some way in TX for the families to try.

Both Jones and FSS are jointly and severally liable for the full amount in both cases. They are both responsible for the full amount, and there is no way for this debt to go away short of Jones dying and his estate closing (after the families claim what they can from it) and FSS winding down completely with no successor. There really is no way for Jones to wriggle out of this because of the way he positioned himself. If he had actually put up real money in the first sham bankruptcy instead of saying he'd pay $10m for everyone to split over five years while still refusing to admit fault AND actually shut the gently caress up about Sandy Hook, the families might have agreed to take the money and give him a third party release.

As it is now, he has two undischargeable judgments against him personally for nearly a billion dollars collectively. Yes, Free Speech Systems, LLC is in bankruptcy - but Alex Jones is not. There is no way for Jones to get the debt forced onto FSS entirely even though he has tried (like his bullshit indemnification agreement with himself).

Had Jones actually ran FSS, LLC as a proper business and not a disregarded entity, he would have options. There are a lot of things he could have done differently to mitigate this. He's out of options now.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Thanks for answering.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Both Jones and FSS are jointly and severally liable for the full amount in both cases. They are both responsible for the full amount, and there is no way for this debt to go away short of Jones dying and his estate closing (after the families claim what they can from it) and FSS winding down completely with no successor.

Legally speaking, what counts as a successor? If Jones kicks it and one of his employees quits to start FSS 2, a nominally separate entity, and does an Alex Jones Tribute Show while selling the same supplements, are they going to get hauled into court and have to give the plaintiffs a cut? How far away from his shadow do they have to get to escape the judgement against him and FSS?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just had a disturbing thought, Jones has always come off as being just a few feet or so from going over the edge and shooting up a courthouse or government office himself (and let's be honest, when you spew brainworm poison for a living, even if you know it's all BS, at some point it's going to start living in your head), is there a non-zero chance that he tries take as many people with him as he can after this? Especially when it goes through appeals and he's still left owing more money than he can possibly actually make in the remainder of his life?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Good riddance to anyone that tags along for Alex Jonestown

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know the answer re: Jones estate after death because that's a Texas law specific question assuming he dies in Texas while still residing there. Typically there is a method for people to make claims on an estate, though, and I'd be shocked if there isn't some way in TX for the families to try.

Both Jones and FSS are jointly and severally liable for the full amount in both cases. They are both responsible for the full amount, and there is no way for this debt to go away short of Jones dying and his estate closing (after the families claim what they can from it) and FSS winding down completely with no successor. There really is no way for Jones to wriggle out of this because of the way he positioned himself. If he had actually put up real money in the first sham bankruptcy instead of saying he'd pay $10m for everyone to split over five years while still refusing to admit fault AND actually shut the gently caress up about Sandy Hook, the families might have agreed to take the money and give him a third party release.

As it is now, he has two undischargeable judgments against him personally for nearly a billion dollars collectively. Yes, Free Speech Systems, LLC is in bankruptcy - but Alex Jones is not. There is no way for Jones to get the debt forced onto FSS entirely even though he has tried (like his bullshit indemnification agreement with himself).

Had Jones actually ran FSS, LLC as a proper business and not a disregarded entity, he would have options. There are a lot of things he could have done differently to mitigate this. He's out of options now.

The damages will definitely be a claim against his estate. The probate court will then rule on where their claim falls against other claims. Unless he is legitimately penniless, the families will probably get some portion of his estate.

There’s not a huge amount of case law regarding really large civil penalties and estates in TX though so it’s a bit of uncharted territory. I think it’s safe to assume it won’t immediately be thrown out.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Loving the doomers that got their law degree from The University of Laying in Bed 20 Hours A Day telling us all about how Alex Jones will totally get off scott free guys, trust me

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MrMojok posted:

The number of people here insisting that the Alex Jones suit verdict will result in “nothing will happen” and “they always get away with it” really makes one wonder about the motivations they have for posting ITT

Especially when it is absolutely, demonstrably bullshit

And also especially when you see that it’s the same people saying Jones will skate, that have been saying Trunt will skate

for me it's about hoping for the best but expecting the worst. he got the worst judgment against him, which is hilarious and the best thing ever, so I got both!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Thanks for answering.

Legally speaking, what counts as a successor? If Jones kicks it and one of his employees quits to start FSS 2, a nominally separate entity, and does an Alex Jones Tribute Show while selling the same supplements, are they going to get hauled into court and have to give the plaintiffs a cut? How far away from his shadow do they have to get to escape the judgement against him and FSS?

They could do that, they just have to use their own funds and nothing from existing Infowars. I suspect we will see an Infowars diaspora just like that when it's dismantled and all of the micro Joneses there try to become the big grifter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pirate Radar posted:

Thanks for answering.

I don’t think it really matters because if FSS winds down then Jones is left with the balance personally owed by him. Whether or not a successor is liable for FSS debt isn’t as relevant since Jones himself is personally liable for the full amount.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

loving Moron posted:

I made this for the Trump thread but it works here also.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

But but what if Alex Jones dies suddenly and FSS is taken over by one *checks notes* Jalex Ones? Who looks suspiciously like AJ with a moustache

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

CharlestonJew posted:

Loving the doomers that got their law degree from The University of Laying in Bed 20 Hours A Day telling us all about how Alex Jones will totally get off scott free guys, trust me

Yeah it’s wild how people who have grown up watching wealthy right wingers evade consequence for inciting harassment and violence expect it not to happen this time too :jerkbag:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
When are they going to do punitive damages or has that already been done?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Do we know approximately how much cash is available to seize to start a first installment while he sells I'm sorry pills. I'm sorry I said horrific thing in show #9473 to show how sorry I am I'm giving you a great deal on Frog Cum. Just guzzle this down and you'll be hopping in bed in no time! Normally 3000% markup now only 1250% markup!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

When are they going to do punitive damages or has that already been done?

The judge will decide those. TBD.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I know Jones is a shithead and he doesn't show any sort of real fear and remorse about anything...

But I hope in his most private moments, like just before he's falling asleep, or he's alone driving his car, or whatever...that there's a cold, slimy dread that creeps up his spine. The worry that he's hosed. The cloud of anxiety that things won't turn out okay this time. That the weight of owing a billion dollars presses down on him when he's alone with his thoughts and there's the ice in his chest and the feeling that the bottom of the gallows will drop from under him at any time.

Just to make him a little nervous and more alone. That's all.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

the yeti posted:

Yeah it’s wild how people who have grown up watching wealthy right wingers evade consequence for inciting harassment and violence expect it not to happen this time too :jerkbag:

Alex Jones owes these people a billion dollars and your anxiety disorder won't change that one jot.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Cspam brain is a real thing.

My right wing enemy is a loving moron, but also invincible and must be defeated!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Xiahou Dun posted:

The judge will decide those. TBD.

Can the judge just be like " Yeah you owe a billion more dollars." Or do you think its going to be in like the 100s of millions.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ilmucche posted:

My right wing enemy is a loving moron, but also invincible and must be defeated!

I mean that literally perfectly describes Alex, which was the entire point of the lawsuits

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

the yeti posted:

a billion dollars in undischargeable debt lol

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ilmucche posted:

well yeah

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

a billion dollars in undischargeable debt lol

Actually, you'll find that the guy so stupid he had a judge just declare him liable without finishing the trial, is a criminal mastermind.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ilmucche posted:

Jones is a loving moron but he's invincible because there are millions of other loving morons who believe anything he says.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Can he appeal?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

BigglesSWE posted:

Count me into the “Alex soon to be seen in Russia shilling for Putin” crowd.

He's half way there considering how much he shills for putin already. Just use some of that bitcoin to buy a ticket to russia.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

My friend seems to think he can get out of paying by moving from Texas to a different state (he gave Cali as an example). How likely is that to work?

Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but I don't really have a whole lot of knowledge or experience with this sort of thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Can the judge just be like " Yeah you owe a billion more dollars." Or do you think its going to be in like the 100s of millions.

My guess is it will be a multiplier based on what she thinks will punish Jones enough to make him shut up. Since he immediately went on the air and said "gently caress da police legal system!", I'm guessing it will be significant.

Of corse at this point, Jones is so deep in the hole that punative damages don't even matter. It'll follow some guidelines, and probably be on the high side of those guidelines given Jones. Two or three times is not a crazy number even if it doesn't matter.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Can he appeal?

Technically yes. Practically, an appeals court has to have a reason for an appeal and the fact that Jones hosed around instead of participating in the trial means there's nothing to appeal. He could try to argue that the judge was wrong to default judgment him, but he and his attorneys committed easily provable perjury while loving around plus multiple other crimes in the process of getting to that default judgment so the appeals court isn't even going to consider it.

I wouldn't be shocked to see that these cases result in the extremely rare perjury charges because he was so aggregious and pissed everyone off.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 13, 2022

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Alex Jones is no criminal genius, and no one is saying he is. People are concerned about the corrupt system that tends to, especially in the past 5 years or so, let rich white people off the hook. Concern is justified and anyone who thinks it isn’t hasn’t been paying attention.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

its all nice on rice posted:

He's half way there considering how much he shills for putin already. Just use some of that bitcoin to buy a ticket to russia.
I hope they grant him citizenship just to conscript him like Snowden.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Drinkslinger posted:

My friend seems to think he can get out of paying by moving from Texas to a different state (he gave Cali as an example). How likely is that to work?

Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but I don't really have a whole lot of knowledge or experience with this sort of thing.
One weird trick to get out of all lawsuit judgments.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Why don't we just take all our assets, and push them somewhere else???

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
don't be mad at people worried he's gonna skate, we've just seen it too many times in the past. jones is hosed 7 ways to sunday but that doesn't mean this will play out in a predictable way, but I'm hopeful it will play out with jones doing the texas 2 step off a short pier.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I heard if Jones just switches cars and hides in a dark alley for a couple minutes until his wanted level goes to 0 he won't have to pay anything :ohdear:

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Can he appeal?

Yes but as I understand it because this was a judgement in default for his lack of compliance with discovery and such he can only appeal on the grounds that something was improper, he can’t really appeal the judgement itself.

Appeals court may conceivably reduce the amount since it’s historic but he’s still going to be hurting for a long, long time.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Arrhythmia posted:

Alex Jones owes these people a billion dollars and your anxiety disorder won't change that one jot.

While I agree that Alex can't get out of this, you're being lovely here. There is a reason this case is such a big deal, and that people are worried. Can you think of a single other instance in the last 20 years where a white multi millionaire was forced to pay for thier many crimes? Its easy to understand why people are skeptical.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Fell Mood posted:

While I agree that Alex can't get out of this, you're being lovely here. There is a reason this case is such a big deal, and that people are worried. Can you think of a single other instance in the last 20 years where a white multi millionaire was forced to pay for thier many crimes? Its easy to understand why people are skeptical.

Name one white millionaire who has skated who earned a default judgment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
lmao get hosed alex jones