Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I thought it was incredibly unlikely Ryu even pitches next year?

Oh, was it? I thought he was just out for the season. If he is officially cooked for next year that probably makes things much easier, since there's no longer pressure to keep a rotation spot open for the 20 million dollar contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
TJ recovery is 12 monthsish, so Ryu should be back mid 2023. Maybe he'll even magically be good again?

Kikuchi looked solid down the stretch but he was chronically unable to pitch in situations where it mattered at all. Seems all psychological with him.

I trust Berríos will get back to form next year with the off-season to review the video and figure out what was going wrong.

So that makes Manoah-Gaus-Berrios-Kooch/White/Ryu. Not honestly that bad if the back end can put in consistently decent performances. I'd think the priority should be bullpen arms and 1-2 lefty bats

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya Ryu is out til the middle of next season at best. I was speaking more with Ryu about the money owed. Him and Kikuchi are eating up 30million and neither could be on the team next year, the Jays aren't going to be able to add that much more in terms of starting pitching payroll unless Rogers breaks the bank and slams through the CBT in 2024, when Bo/Vlad cost 40million+.

I think any payroll bump goes to the pen, it's pretty obvious that was the biggest issue that is easily fixed. The offense should be fine and Barger could be the solution at either second or the OF and a lefty bat. Trade a catcher for a cheap starter and I'd hazard you clear some payroll space by dumping Gurriel.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Carlos Correa said he is opting out

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Johnny Bravo posted:

Carlos Correa said he is opting out

Ohhhh woooowwww that's craaaaazy

WHO could have seen this COMING oh my goooosh

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

lol so sorry Twins but that's what you get!!!

Correa will be a Cub

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 13, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrMidnight posted:

lol so sorry Twins but that's what you get!!!

oh no we got what we expected how could we have seen this coming

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

oh no we got what we expected how could we have seen this coming

Not too heart broken about it huh

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
no thanks

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrMidnight posted:

Not too heart broken about it huh

I mean he was a good player who I would rather not lose but literally the minute after the contract details came out everyone on the planet knew it was a one year mercenary contract with two years of catastrophic injury insurance for him

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

I mean he was a good player who I would rather not lose but literally the minute after the contract details came out everyone on the planet knew it was a one year mercenary contract with two years of catastrophic injury insurance for him
Given the obviously, fatally flawed team, Maeda's return next season, the series of pitchers with multiple years of control they picked up...

I really don't know why Falvine didn't move him at the deadline. Besides the obvious: Gotta sell them tickets. As if any amount of single game sales would have made up for the anemic season ticket base at the start of the year or prevented an alltime low at Target Field. Further proof that the new stadium attendance bump is back to baseline ~10 years in

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Yeah I'm not at all surprised. Hopefully Lewis can come back and produce at a good level. Otherwise I have no idea.

But maybe they work out a longer deal with Correa. Everyone seems to have loved him in MN, and he put in the third-best season by a Twins SS of all time. I don't think they'd necessarily pony up for him, but I'd like to think it would be a possibility.

With Trea Turner theoretically being available this year I think his overall value on the market is a little lower. It'll be interesting to see where guys land this year.

And even without Correa I think position players are pretty consistent and mostly set for the Twins. The question mark, as it always is, is pitching. The rotation is riddled with injuries or guys coming off them and the bullpen still needs to be consistent and reliable. Correa can't fix that, and *not* paying him might help us shore that up. (Haha just kidding Pohlads will just lower payroll by exactly his contract amount.)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sucks that all the good FAs are shortstops. Cubs need corner infielders.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Please put Arte Moreno in a Goodbye Lenin style false reality in which Correa hasn't opted out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

Given the obviously, fatally flawed team, Maeda's return next season, the series of pitchers with multiple years of control they picked up...

I really don't know why Falvine didn't move him at the deadline. Besides the obvious: Gotta sell them tickets. As if any amount of single game sales would have made up for the anemic season ticket base at the start of the year or prevented an alltime low at Target Field. Further proof that the new stadium attendance bump is back to baseline ~10 years in

They were still in contention at the deadline and made moves reflecting that, moving Correa would have been dumb.

If they hadn't added three pitchers then yeah, I was on the same mindset as you are, but they absolutely made win now moves that just happened not to work for various reasons.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
correa seems like a weenie

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

thehoodie posted:

correa seems like a weenie

Well he's a cheater....

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I don’t see how you can really blame the Twins or fans on that. Correas contract was what it was. It didn’t work out. There’s bigger problem for why but Correa was always gone and trading him for parts while they werecontenders would have just been skeezy.

So you move on. Correa will probably say something lovely sometime this winter to make it easier.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I don't think he'll find the market for him is as hot as he expects it to be. Too many other big name guys out there

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Lots of FA's hoping the Yankees lose Judge and panic.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Bring the Expos back I hate rooting for Toronto

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would be funny if Correa can’t get a deal he likes and signs another one year merc deal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Correa turned 28 a little under a month ago and just put up a 140 wRC+ season and plays a premium defensive position, there will be a solid deal for him out there. Yeah he's a douchebag but as we discussed with Chapman that gets tolerated when you're putting up elite results between the lines. My guess is he will look to at an absolute minimum match the Seager contract (10/325) given their similar age and track record over the same number of seasons (130 vs 129 wRC+). Correa's glove took a noticeable step back this season according to OAA, but all the other defensive stats love him and it could just be new ballpark flukiness so :shrug:

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Sucks that all the good FAs are shortstops. Cubs need corner infielders.

Should go get Xander if the Red Sox don't extend him first. He can play 3B and Mervis/Wisdom can platoon 1B.

Alternatively, I would not be surprised to see the Cubs make a big trade. They have an absolute log jam in the OF pipe with Happ/Suzuki/Morel already up, Canario/Davis/PCA ready in the 1-2 season range and Cassie/Alcantara ready in 3-4. Throw in some pitching prospects on top and the Cubs could swing something pretty big, imo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Quite the take comparing Correa to Chapman. I know people don't like him but uhhh they're not even in the same spectrum of rear end in a top hat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I meant more their general attitudes, even without the domestic abuse Chapman is just kind of a dickhead and it was known and tolerated until he started to suck.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

I meant more their general attitudes, even without the domestic abuse Chapman is just kind of a dickhead and it was known and tolerated until he started to suck.

I never really got rear end in a top hat vibes from correa this year tbqh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

I never really got rear end in a top hat vibes from correa this year tbqh

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1575608943883079681

I get what he's trying to say, but lol, okay bro. "When I want something, I get it" yeah even if you gotta cheat for it :jerkbag:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1575608943883079681

I get what he's trying to say, but lol, okay bro. "When I want something, I get it" yeah even if you gotta cheat for it :jerkbag:

I'm not sure you get what he's trying to say if you're equating it to something you can't buy lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like people are just laser focused on hating him and take any slight they perceive to the extreme.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It could be that everyone is just jaded against him for some mysterious reason and just take a bunch of things he says and does in the worst possible light to make him seem like a douchebag.

It could also be that he’s just a douchebag who’s constantly saying and doing needlessly douchey things.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't think Correa is necessarily more cocky than any professional athlete, he's just really awkward when he talks about it. Like, the whole Dior thing is a pretty obvious analogy delivered in the least relatable, easiest-to-make-fun of way.

Also yeah, the whole 2017 Astros thing colors all of it.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
He's among the least hateable Astros from the 2017 team.

I can deal with awkward weirdos as long as they play baseball good, come to Seattle.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He's less obnoxious than Bregman so that's... something, I guess?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

THROW ME A FASTBALL BRO. YOU COWARD STRIKING ME OUT WITH CURVEBALLS. THROW A FASTBALL.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

THROW ME A FASTBALL BRO. YOU COWARD STRIKING ME OUT WITH CURVEBALLS. THROW A FASTBALL.

That was against Joe Kelly though who's also a cloying rear end in a top hat, so it's a wash.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's just a really funny thing to yell at a pitcher.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's just a really funny thing to yell at a pitcher.

And considering the whole nobody swung at Kershaw's curves thing, doubly so.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

He's among the least hateable Astros from the 2017 team.

:wtc:

Bregman holds the Most Hatable title for sure, but uhhhh Correa has to be #2 almost by default. Those two were, and still are to an extent, the most vocal deniers of the entire scheme.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bregman at least had the good sense to shut up after they got caught and just did the lovely press conference. He didn’t run around being an rear end in a top hat about it on his own like Correa. At least from what I remember.

That’s Correa imo. An rear end in a top hat who never knows when to shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:wtc:

Bregman holds the Most Hatable title for sure, but uhhhh Correa has to be #2 almost by default. Those two were, and still are to an extent, the most vocal deniers of the entire scheme.

Gurriel is #1, Bregman/McCullers/Altuve are all tied for #2. Correa is a solid in the 3rd tier.