Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It's an interesting distinction.

I know that in some other jurisdictions, the decision on prosecuting or not prosecuting is such a potential political (careerwise) minefield, that often all cases (even uncertain ones) will get prosecuted because it is better for a judge or jury to throw a case out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
1 pm Eastern today, right?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

1 pm Eastern today, right?

Correcto, and here's the PBS NewsHour stream which I appreciate because of their no-frills approach.

https://youtu.be/7mhhCNqsrcI

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 13, 2022

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Correcto, and here's the PBS NewsHour stream which I appreciate because of their no-frills approach.

Thank you for this, I'm always indecisively switching back and forth between streams trying to find the one with the least annoying extra bs.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Been listening to this in the background as I work, the stream stopped suddenly and now it's a muted view of the hearing room panning over folks - is this part of the rerun or are they just broadcasting the camera checks?

edit: ehhhh it was just the replay still, bah

Pyrtanis fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 13, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I just use the one straight from the committee.
Which should start in a few minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQvuBoLBuC0

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O hey, I don't remember an ASL interpreter before.

That's nice.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
We're live, folks

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to figure out what her name sign for Trump is

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

SalTheBard posted:

I'm trying to figure out what her name sign for Trump is

double bird

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Wait holy poo poo, this is an actual committee hearing where poo poo can happen.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait holy poo poo, this is an actual committee hearing where poo poo can happen.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1580607126820380678

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok I just tuned it but it seems that the meat of the hearing is just starting

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok I just tuned it but it seems that the meat of the hearing is just starting

It's Intent Day so it's gonna be a very specific, gamey kind of meat today.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Haha Stone's photo for this whole thing, "known for dirty tricks"

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There was a Danish filmmaker too???

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
"We'll have to start smashing pumpkins, if you know what I mean".

:stare:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

"We'll have to start smashing pumpkins, if you know what I mean".

:stare:

"gently caress the voting, I wanna get straight to the violence," is a loving sentence even by Roger Stone's bizarre, hate-elf standards.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Reform what? That the next time a president tries to lead an insurrection they can say no?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Goddamn "I say gently caress the voting, lets go straight to violence"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Madkal posted:

Reform what? That the next time a president tries to lead an insurrection they can say no?

The legislation governing security of elections, yes.

To make it even less steal-able. I'm not see what you're making fun of, that seems like a good idea. If my house almost burns down, I'd try to do some things to improve fire safety too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Xiahou Dun posted:

The legislation governing security of elections, yes.

To make it even less steal-able. I'm not see what you're making fun of, that seems like a good idea. If my house almost burns down, I'd try to do some things to improve fire safety too.

If someone set fire to my house I would like to see that person punished, not have someone say we will make it harder for the arsonist to do it next time. I am fine with them setting up more procedures to deal with this for next time but the people (ie Trump) who did all this poo poo now needs to face consequences.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
wait, was this known that Trump was going to do a full Afghanistan withdrawal?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Riptor posted:

It's the first I've heard of this, but so much poo poo happened that I can't tell if it's just because I forgot.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Evuh-dense

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Riptor posted:

The entire Biden pullout was him simply following the deal Trump negotiated with the Taliban. Which is how we get insane poo poo like John Bolton laughing at conservative pundits going after Biden saying that Trump would have handled it better.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

If someone set fire to my house I would like to see that person punished, not have someone say we will make it harder for the arsonist to do it next time. I am fine with them setting up more procedures to deal with this for next time but the people (ie Trump) who did all this poo poo now needs to face consequences.

there might even be loopholes to allow for people in charge to set fire to your house, but legally

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Riptor posted:

He basically did, it just took a while to work.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Madkal posted:

Yeah this is expressly just the improving fire safety committee in this metaphor.

The DOJ is the cops going after our hypothetical arsonist.

At no point will the committee do anything itself to punish Trump. They're investigating and talking to DOJ about their findings, there's probably gonna be a formal referral, but that's just not their job. Congress doesn't do that, because it's Congress.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Madkal posted:

The legislative branch doesn't punish people. There's nothing they can do about something that's already happened.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah this is expressly just the improving fire safety committee in this metaphor.

The DOJ is the cops going after our hypothetical arsonist.

At no point will the committee do anything itself to punish Trump. They're investigating and talking to DOJ about their findings, there's probably gonna be a formal referral, but that's just not their job. Congress doesn't do that, because it's Congress.

I actually do think they'll do a referral, but only if they know that DOJ is going to move specifically on the referred items, and do it soon.

If they think or know that DOJ isn't ready as of yet, they won't make a referral but simply release strongly-worded statements.

Either way it doesn't matter, as you noted.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was more hung up on her say "may ultimately decide....". Should have said "will ultimately decide..." and not use the word "may."

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

mdemone posted:

that DOJ isn't ready as of yet, they won't make a referral but simply release strongly-worded statements.

A referral is a strongly worded statement. It carries no official weight.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Awww pissbaby was mad.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Madkal posted:

I was more hung up on her say "may ultimately decide....". Should have said "will ultimately decide..." and not use the word "may."

she's a lawyer, that's lawyer speak, there is a very big difference between 'will' 'shall' and 'may' legally.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fart Amplifier posted:

A referral is a strongly worded statement. It carries no official weight.

yeah but it uses different words, that's all I mean.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oracle posted:

she's a lawyer, that's lawyer speak, there is a very big difference between 'will' 'shall' and 'may' legally.

you never, ever say the word "will" unless whatever you're talking about is already done

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

'I don't want people to know that we lost.' Wow, even Trump knew he lost back in December after the Supreme Court refused to hear it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oracle posted:

'I don't want people to know that we lost.' Wow, even Trump knew he lost back in December after the Supreme Court refused to hear it.

Yep that's clear and unimpeachable acknowledgement that he's been making false statements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
We are talking about dumps!