Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sounds kinda salty imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

FAUXTON posted:

how mad are you about it

They're the things I don't like about the p6p so I was hoping they'd be resolved and I could upgrade. At this stage I'm just gonna wait. No way I'm preordering that bitch.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I also got the $100 Google Store credit for ordering when I didn’t see that during checkout. Neat.

Pixel 6a currently the record holder for phone I’ve owned the least amount of time :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

salt shakeup posted:

They're the things I don't like about the p6p so I was hoping they'd be resolved and I could upgrade. At this stage I'm just gonna wait. No way I'm preordering that bitch.

Ah well that's a bummer that you're feeling let down. I hope tomorrow's a happier day for you!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

salt shakeup posted:

After a week with the S20 FE 5G it is an amazing phone and I highly recommend it.

salt shakeup posted:

Stay away from the S20 FE.

salt shakeup posted:

Sorry you had to find out this way Pixel nerds, but the Pixel 6 officially Sucks rear end.

salt shakeup posted:

I bought a Pixel 6 Pro and it's the best phone I've ever had. It replaced the S21 FE which is the worst phone I've ever had.

salt shakeup posted:

Will they have a 5G modem that actually works properly? I will upgrade if they can fix the basic issues with the P6P but my hopes are low.

Oh no, we will be deprived of another story about how a phone is the best phone ever followed a month later by how it's the worst phone ever. Whatever will we do.

get a new gimmick

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
This phone is great until the apps I install on every other phone I've tried make it the worst phone ever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Oh no, we will be deprived of another story about how a phone is the best phone ever followed a month later by how it's the worst phone ever. Whatever will we do.

get a new gimmick

drat that's some memento-rear end amnesia how do you forget "multiple 'worst phone I've ever tried' experiences from this company" every time no wonder they're so fuckin angry at a phone

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anyways, I acutally haven't really seen an overly negative video review yet.

MKBHD says it's going to be the phone in his pocket and "I'll say it right off the top, I've had geat battery experiences with both phones."
Jaime Rivera of Pocketnow said that battery was dramatically better and that all devices exceeded expecations.
Matthew Moniz started the video with listing all the weaknesses of past devices and basically came out of the review saying that the only thing to note is that video can't quite match apple yet. He also said it was holding signal better than his Fold 4.

There are a few that said battery life isn't dramatically different (or slightly worse), Dave2d is one. But he was also just doing a standard rundown test and even he noted that the P7P when running Genshin Impact held performance longer than the P6P and didn't throttle as far when it became heat-soaked. He was also one of the few that didn't think the fingerprint was dramatically better (but he really didn't have much of an issue with function of that on the P6P either.). He also said (but was the only one thus far that has mentioned it) that the aluminum visor can get scratches.

The Pixel Watch has been getting pretty good impressions as well. It's just a shame that they didn't go larger and gave it more battery because that would have really just left people picking a few nits about the fitbit integration. Otherwise performance seems fluid and works well.

It IS a refinement. The camera stuff is improved across the board, but it's not like it makes the P6P look bad either. Generally the refrain has been that if you've had no issues with the P6P, it may not be worth upgrading, but if you did have issues then they were likely addressed (with some bonus improvements.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's just the telescopic lens that has me considering the 7 Pro, but I have been really happy with my 6 and hesitate to go bigger and also have major misgivings about curved screens. I really should see if I can check one out in person to see how bad the curve is.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

ShoogaSlim posted:

i'll def check out these reviews, but i'm still on the fence about whether it'll be "worth" it to upgrade from the pixel 5

aside from a slightly cracked screen (which i don't really give a poo poo about at all) and a slightly faulty usb-c jack, there's nothing "wrong" with my phone.

Hey, just curious, what is your usb-c doing? I have a pixel 5 and mine just stopped transmitting data one day. Multiple factory resets didn't fix it so my phone is just kinda hosed in one very specific way.

I can still transfer stuff by web but Android auto doesn't work and I haven't been able to get a wireless adaptor.

I love my pixel 5 but this USB data death has really soured me. It stopped working only a year and a half after I got the phone and google told me to get hosed when I called support.

Ubreakifix quoted me at $500 to fix and told me not to bother, which is what I told google and they told me to get an invoice or signed statement from the place indicating this. No business in my mind would do that.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Tetrabor posted:

Googs offering me $266 for trading in my cracked Pixel 3 XL. I don't get how they're making money on these new phones.

They offered me $247 for my 64gb Pixel 3 in good condition. In for a lemongrass 7.

This $100 store credit, what is that good for? Should I not have bought the screen protector and case, and waited until that credit hit - and buy them with that.... or???

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just realized that I can't have both the Pixel Watch and my Charge 5 connected to my account at the same time. That's...asinine and will really hamper my enjoyment of the Pixel Watch when it arrives.

Basically fitness stuff will be neutered without it connected to fitbit, but I really don't want to wear the Pixel Watch when working out because it will get beat up.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Thanks for the review summaries for the 7, everyone. Do any of them have specific comment on mobile data battery life? That's the only time my battery life is really Awful on the 6.

Is there no way to see screen on time since last full charge anymore? Is AccuBattery worth a try?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 13, 2022

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Goddammit Google, did you seriously disable the camera function in Translate and have it redirect to Lens in the Camera app instead? I don't want to hover in place trying to get the perfect angle on constantly changing interpretations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

quote:

This $100 store credit, what is that good for? Should I not have bought the screen protector and case, and waited until that credit hit - and buy them with that.... or???

Need any Pixel buds or maybe a new Chromecast? I'm getting the Pixel Buds Pro with mine. Other than that, yeah, whatever looks like fun or that it might be useful.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I got a dbrand grip case/glitch camo skin coming for my P7 but I’m gonna use my Google store credit on a Bellroy leather case and a Zagg screen protector.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Hell yeah

My P7P just arrived. Now to consider quitting work early and start getting it up and running.

Any recommendations for a thin cover?
I'm currently using a Spigen Thin Fit on my P2XL, and as long as it's light weight and not slippery I have no other preferences.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Fart of Presto posted:

Hell yeah

My P7P just arrived. Now to consider quitting work early and start getting it up and running.

I'm currently using a Spigen Thin Fit on my P2XL, and as long as it's light weight and not slippery I have no other preferences.

I usually stick my phones in Spigen's clear cases (ultra hybrid?). On the downside it does eventually yellow, but on the plus side I've dropped my phones a lot of times, including directly on the corners or flat on the screen, and they've survived it all.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-7-pro-display-obscene-amount-of-power/

That's a pretty strong statement from Android Police on the P7P screen efficiency.

This could explain the gap between "battery fine" and "battery bad" in different reviews. Gotta try it outdoors.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 13, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Shocker that Samsung keeps the more efficient LTPO panels for themselves.

No, wait, not shocked. Expected. Since they've been doing it for the past 10 years (unless you are apple and can back up dumptrucks of money.)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Vasler posted:

Hey, just curious, what is your usb-c doing? I have a pixel 5 and mine just stopped transmitting data one day. Multiple factory resets didn't fix it so my phone is just kinda hosed in one very specific way.

I can still transfer stuff by web but Android auto doesn't work and I haven't been able to get a wireless adaptor.

I love my pixel 5 but this USB data death has really soured me. It stopped working only a year and a half after I got the phone and google told me to get hosed when I called support.

Ubreakifix quoted me at $500 to fix and told me not to bother, which is what I told google and they told me to get an invoice or signed statement from the place indicating this. No business in my mind would do that.

it sounds like you're in a worse position than me. sorry to hear that!

my usb-c port still works, but it's wonky if you move it at all. it depends on the cable itself usually, but even older cables that my phone has a hard time with still work for other devices.

for example, with android auto, my phone will be plugged in and sitting in a cupholder or whatever and then ill hit a bump and the phone disconnects from the car, even tho the cable is still perfectly inserted. like i said, newer cables are better, but they're not perfect. basically if you jiggle the connector where it inserts into the phone at all, it freaks out

and yes ive cleaned all the dust out. doesn't help

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Set up my P7P today and was a bit disappointed by how many apps I needed to reauthenticate in and that the eSIM profile also needed to be transferred manually. It's not a big issue since it's something I do at most once a year but I can't help but feel that it should be a little less manual.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

I've bought a few of the Liquid Air cases from Spigen in the past, and have one on order for my P7P. I really like the texture on the back.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Incessant Excess posted:

Set up my P7P today and was a bit disappointed by how many apps I needed to reauthenticate in and that the eSIM profile also needed to be transferred manually. It's not a big issue since it's something I do at most once a year but I can't help but feel that it should be a little less manual.
yeah i had to manually do google authenticator, signal and gpay. two of these are google products, what the heck. other than that, phone good so far.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I’m excited now, kinda whiplashed from not buying to getting a wild hair and wheeling and dealing my way into a P7 that will be here on Monday.

Liking the reviews so far, and I’ve watched a lot of them. Seems like there’s not a $300 difference between the P7 and P7Pro, and with the P7 being smaller, lighter and lasting longer on battery, I would probably choose the base model even if they costed the same.

At least, as someone who never uses a telescopic lens even when my phone has one.

Overall though really seems like this phone is what the P6 series should have been.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ok but did you consider that one of them has "pro" in the name

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

butt dickus posted:

ok but did you consider that one of them has "pro" in the name

gently caress

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've bought a few of the Liquid Air cases from Spigen in the past, and have one on order for my P7P. I really like the texture on the back.

Yeah, I have a Liquid Air on my 6 and it is a really nice case. Drop protection is probably so-so, but I don't tend to drop my phones and figure the better grip from the Liquid Air is probably a bigger safety feature in that regard.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

yeah i had to manually do google authenticator, signal and gpay. two of these are google products, what the heck. other than that, phone good so far.

I think it's a good thing that highly sensitive things like this should require you to reauth on a new phone. There should be a little bit of inconvenience in those cases.

Google Authenticator makes it really painless to move your entire list of codes now, with the ability to generate a single QR code for everything on the old phone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Don't Ask posted:

Do you mean the blood pressure and ECG? I've got it working on my Pixel 5 and Watch 4, see if this guide will work for you.

Welp, everything installed ok, but it looks like I need to wait for an update to the procedure/apps. When I launch the ECG activity on the watch, it gets me into a "download the app on your phone" loop.

I'll keep an eye on the landscape, though. Thanks again.

Edit: gently caress I'm terrible at reading, apparently. I was launching the unmodded app on my watch. Launching the right one gave me the options. Awesome.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 13, 2022

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol I've been hearing some gripes from larger hairy dudes about how the band tucks under itself

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I've used my P7 for an hour and it's a good phone in case anyone wants my review there it is

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Pixel 7 received. I like it so far but UGH absolutely nothing transferred over my from my Pixel 5, not even contacts, and this is incredibly annoying. I did all the steps and it apparently just took forever to do nothing at all. Should have just started from scratch since I'm having to download and log in to everything again. Doesn't bode well.

It worked perfectly from Pixel 1 to 3, and 3 to 5, too. :sigh:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

smoobles posted:

I've used my P7 for an hour and it's a good phone in case anyone wants my review there it is
i've used my p7pro for two hours and it's an even better phone not in a case

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

effika posted:

Pixel 7 received. I like it so far but UGH absolutely nothing transferred over my from my Pixel 5, not even contacts, and this is incredibly annoying. I did all the steps and it apparently just took forever to do nothing at all. Should have just started from scratch since I'm having to download and log in to everything again. Doesn't bode well.

Very strange, did you try both cable method and restoring from backup?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

effika posted:

Uh, contacts should just come from your Google account, that's not even a phone to phone transfer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

Uh, contacts should just come from your Google account, that's not even a phone to phone transfer.

Depends on the options you set for your contacts list.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

my coworker mentioned that his pixel buds pro had an update so i went and found mine and was impressed with the pairing, i went to the bluetooth screen and opened the case and it said "saved device available." less impressed with the update. it says

quote:

Get ready for the update
Both earbuds must be connected to the phone before starting. You may listen to audio during the update. This will take 10 minutes.
then i click the button to do it and it fails and says "Keep your earbuds out of your case and near your phone" why didn't it tell me to take them out of the case before?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

my coworker mentioned that his pixel buds pro had an update so i went and found mine and was impressed with the pairing, i went to the bluetooth screen and opened the case and it said "saved device available." less impressed with the update. it says

then i click the button to do it and it fails and says "Keep your earbuds out of your case and near your phone" why didn't it tell me to take them out of the case before?

It kinda did. The buds aren't truly connected to your phone unless they are out of the case. They show up and can be paired, but if they aren't avaliable as an audio output device, then the buds themselves aren't connected. I agree it could be clearer.

Random bit I've noticed as someone that has setup a shitton of phones. The Google app never has notification channels right out of the box. I always notice it when it starts notifying me of stuff like the weather which I don't need, I got to turn off the notification for current weather conditions, and all that's there is the misc channel. I've never been able to determine what trigger makes the notification channels show up, but they always eventually do.

Edit: Apparently all I had to do was talk about it and boom, they're all there now. It's so weird.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't have to take my a-series buds out the case to update them, just open it