Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If there was at least something interesting about the VR environment people might care a bit more. Like "we're skydiving during the morning standup today!" is a bit more exciting than "put on your VR headset at your desk so you can pretend to sit at another desk". Do things you couldn't otherwise, like have meetings during a safari, while spacewalking, etc.

I’m in, but only if I get a host panel that kicks participants out of the plane or sends them to a dino den with the TRex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

lovely tuna snatch posted:

You're delusional, and in fact also extrapolating your surroundings (people use tablets) to the global situation.

https://gs.statcounter.com/platform-market-share/desktop-mobile-tablet

Wow! That's even lower than I thought. Honestly, I haven't seen a tablet in years IRL other than the obligatory Kindle fire or iPad for watching shows on people's random living rooms

Hell I've seen more VR headsets than I have tablets during that timespan but I'm pretty sure that's because my friends are nerds and they're not being forced to use them for work lol

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The only time I see tablets is when I go out to eat and every child in the restaurant has an ipad propped in front of them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pham Nuwen posted:

The only time I see tablets is when I go out to eat and every child in the restaurant has an ipad propped in front of them.

I see them quite a bit on airplanes.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I'm a big VR proponent. FPS games in VR are an adrenaline rush like I've only experienced playing paintball. Exercise in VR is great for those who hate cardio.

That said, I can't VR for more than two hours, and definitely have no desire to work from a virtual office. The headsets are still too heavy. Meta left me confused. All that money, and it's basically a worse Altspace.

I feel for you folks who get motion sick, you're missing some incredible experiences. I think it can be trained out of your system, but it's not super fun. I used to read on family car trips until I was near to throwing up. I'd take a 15 minute break. Then go at it again. Now as an adult I can read for 1-2 hours on a car trip without getting sick.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Boo this man!

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1580604663321092104

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Microsoft is about to get conned into giving the metaverse Office and support for free.

And Accenture has already been conned into paying for a "virtual office" in the Metaverse.

https://twitter.com/shiringhaffary/status/1579892468316676096

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

accenture finally tying down a prestige location somewhere

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh god, I think my company is not going to be able to resist doing something like this even though absolutely no one will be interested beyond the handful of execs who so desperately want us to be a tech company.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Every time I see Zuckerberg I wonder why he can't ever look normal.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

njsykora posted:

He's the best indicator we have of actual honest-to-god lizard people.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The 3D scan AI version of Zuckerberg they debuted the other day unironically looks more lifelike than the real one.

https://twitter.com/wongmjane/status/1579901494929018881

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Microsoft is about to get conned into giving the metaverse Office and support for free.

And Accenture has already been conned into paying for a "virtual office" in the Metaverse.

Imagine working in Excel and having the numbers fly around you like that dude in The Hangover.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

Yep, this seems to dominate all conversation about the man which is really a shame when you consider the real implications of his behavior/leadership in the real world as well as the real threats that FB/Meta have on modern life

Nearly every article about FB discussing some of the more serious issues is loaded with comments that are basically just "Lol mark z is an ai doot doot"

It almost makes me wonder if Facebook employees are encouraging the meme themselves. It's amazing how much this tired low IQ joke dominates conversations about Facebook.

I guess the point is having image/dmg control consultants is very good with money for Mark z

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Or maybe we all have the attention span of a 10-year-old cuz yes mark does look weird... which honestly isn't that much of a reach considering our education levels in the US

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 13, 2022

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Sundae posted:

He's the best indicator we have of actual honest-to-god lizard people.

lizard people is an anti semitic dog whistle, and he looks weird / sounds like a robot cause he's autistic. There are much better things to be making fun of him for than his appearance

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Thom Yorke raps posted:

lizard people is an anti semitic dog whistle, and he looks weird / sounds like a robot cause he's autistic. There are much better things to be making fun of him for than his appearance

Don't worry; I make fun of him for all that stuff too. Also, gently caress off.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

sir this is a Metaverse Arbys

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Thom Yorke raps posted:

cause he's autistic

link?

Thom Yorke raps posted:

There are much better things to be making fun of him for than his appearance

I dunno, one of the world's richest people styling their hair like a roman emperor sounds like fertile ground to me

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If by conned you mean getting paid by Meta to prop up Big Zuck’s dream, sure.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone ever see the Michael Douglas/Demi Moore movie Disclosure? That's what I imagine the pinnacle of the Metaverse to be.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Omne posted:

Anyone ever see the Michael Douglas/Demi Moore movie Disclosure? That's what I imagine the pinnacle of the Metaverse to be.

quote:

Plot

Bob Garvin, founder and CEO of DigiCom, a computer technology company, plans to retire when his company merges with a larger company. Production line manager Tom Sanders expects to be promoted to run the CD-ROM division. Instead, Meredith Johnson, a former girlfriend of Tom's who is responsible for the merger, is promoted to the post, as Garvin wanted to "break the glass ceiling" and promote a woman in place of his late daughter.

Meredith calls Tom into her office to discuss some operations regarding problems with the CD-ROM production line in Malaysia, but instead sexually forces herself onto him.

relatable

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1580738194345054208

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Ladies, don't Netflix and Chill with a man who has ads in his Netflix.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

hypnophant posted:

It’s very difficult to prep for systemic collapse from inside the system. I think a broad education (including some hard practical skills and good soft skills) is the best hedge - it’s perfectly portable, inseparable, and valuable under a wide range of conditions - but it’s arguably suboptimal for any specific conditions so preppers will usually prefer to bury cans of beans or whatever they think will work best in the specific apocalypse they envision

Bad nerd, no. The correct answer is build relationships and community, both locally and extended. Then you convince the loner with needed skills who thought he could make it to come join your group because you have a vegetable garden and his electric can opener stopped working.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I don't know any POS system that will initiate a refund a split payment all back to a single card, instead of just reversing the charges back to the cards they originally came from. This has big "high school virgin brags about how much sex he's having" energy to it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Would I get approved

quote:

I’m looking to buy a 392 scat challenger in a year or less I’m 20 years old income 2,000$ a month but I would have a trade in and a down payment ontop and also a co signer ?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

This is made even better by looking through his post history (20 year old who makes $2k a month)

Child Support

quote:

Will I have to pay more in child support if I don’t have any bills like no rent or car or anything will they take more because of that ? I live in Colorado

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The issue that I see with VR’s place in the workplace is that it focuses all of your attention and motor control into a single tool. As we work today, we use many different objects and tools. A calculator on our desk, a notepad, the mouse/keyboard, our phone / etc. By limiting yourself to the VR you’re locking yourself into a type of claustrophobia that even if these other objects and tools are replicated in the virtual world I really feel that our bodies and minds are meant to be locked into your hands on the controllers all day.

Not to mention that you can’t drink a cup of coffee as mentioned above. LOL at trying anything in business without accounting for coffee or tea drinking.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mark lied to us.

Facebook has apparently spent $16.2 billion on the Metaverse - not "roughly $10 billion" - and the 6 month project they revealed (legs!) is not actually finished. They spent 6 months and still haven't actually gotten them to work outside of pre-recorded animation.

https://twitter.com/seldo/status/1580714050706554880

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
You know, that may actually be a selling point. A lot of middle managers are having trouble demonstrating much value in an all remote environment. It turns out that if you just let people manage their own time and priorities within reason, work still gets done even without the watchful eye of a bunch of people doing no actual work.

They can't get people back into the office, but VR provides a new walled garden where all that middle management chaff can pretend to be useful again. The employees don't want it, it's not going to get more work done, but if it gives management the illusion of control that may be enough to sell some of these things.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I feel like I'm missing something about the development of the metaverse. Why are they having an issue with legs? They're literally just designing a videogame with a very specific user interface.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SettingSun posted:

I feel like I'm missing something about the development of the metaverse. Why are they having an issue with legs? They're literally just designing a videogame with a very specific user interface.

evidently its a real problem. the upper body is all tracked through head movements and the whatever you call ems that you put in your hand, but the lower body is untracked.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

evidently its a real problem. the upper body is all tracked through head movements and the whatever you call ems that you put in your hand, but the lower body is untracked.

Just track everything with the crotch for the legs. Bing bong problem solved.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

"What branch of the military" - Reddit User

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

rufius posted:

Just track everything with the crotch for the legs. Bing bong problem solved.

in all seriousness i think the intent is that many people will participate in the metaverse while sitting down, so leg motions have to be artificially generated and i bet they mostly look like marionettes]

which is funny, just roll with it

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

in all seriousness i think the intent is that many people will participate in the metaverse while sitting down, so leg motions have to be artificially generated and i bet they mostly look like marionettes]

which is funny, just roll with it

Ya, like I said. Not interested til Star Trek holodecks.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Imagine spending 16 billion to recreate second life without sex or furries lmao

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KingSlime posted:

Imagine spending 16 billion to recreate second life without sex or furries lmao

So the metaverse is like when tumblr got rid of all the sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
How does VR Chat deal with legs?