Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

I wonder how the attack on Ochs Earth was later publicized. He obviously put things into motion before anyone could stop him and while the CEO looked shocked, it doesn't seem to have burnt any bridges there. It seems simple enough for them to just arrange things however they want, given that there's no one else to speak up for the dead. Just claim they were attacked first, and look at those frightful remote explosives, will Witches blow themselves up next?

Nah, all you'd need is just "we confiscated material, shut down the organization, and took the employees into custody". No need to dress it up when the average punter won't care to dig deeper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, all you'd need is just "we confiscated material, shut down the organization, and took the employees into custody". No need to dress it up when the average punter won't care to dig deeper

I mean, even violence could be easily excused with 'they shot first'. If modern cops can get away with killing a bunch of folks in a police raid, then an organisation like Cathedra raiding illegal weapons developers should find it incredibly easy.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Argas posted:

I wonder how the attack on Ochs Earth was later publicized. He obviously put things into motion before anyone could stop him and while the CEO looked shocked, it doesn't seem to have burnt any bridges there.
As far as Delling goes, it seems like nobody anticipated just how ambitious he was at the time. Dominicus was the special forces team for the Mobile Suit Development Council at large, but by A.S. 122 it's officially directly under Cathedra. My read has been that he did something of a hostile takeover/palace coup, positioning himself as the authority of the paramilitary arm of the Council (Rajan Zahi seemed like his right hand man even then), using his appointment as head of Cathedra, and riding the wave of public opinion against GUNDAM as cover against any attempt by the Council to censure or freeze him out for jumping the gun at Fólkvangr. There's no major indication that he's been terrible on the economic front, either, just that he's inflexible and that there are non-Benerit Group making inroads in competitive mobile suit design, so despite any misgivings the other corporations had about his power play, ultimately they've been operating and profiting under his leadership (and who wants to openly challenge the guy with the soldiers, anyway). Hey, if this is inspired in part by The Tempest, gotta have some usurpation going on, right?

The vibe I get, though, is that the Mobile Suit Development Council did not intend the Vanadis Institute slaughter - they'd wanted to seize Ochs Earth's assets, research, and likely even personnel for their own use, and use Cathedra to suppress anyone else from getting a technological lead in that field, but Delling made that impossible for them. Which is probably where Prospera comes in with the favor she says Vim Jeturk will want to ask of her - I don't believe the Darilbalde scene involves any significant time-skip, and that it's far more likely that multiple Benerit Group members have been developing tech that Cathedra would normally punish, but with her opening the window for enhanced "drone" capabilities, they'll be free to introduce their own designs they can claim were done with the new data, even if the timelines would make that highly suspect. As already pointed out, it's fairly likely that Prospera's probably been seeding the tech for years, too.

Relatedly, I'm not sure Delling will die all that soon - we're in the early stages of plotting, where things should still be proceeding according to Prospera's plans, despite the (potential) near-miss of the first episode; derailment is like to come as not, but narratively, it's far more likely to me that he'll be made to reckon with having his life ruined before it's taken. She would know that he was responsible for Fólkvangr even if he wasn't there in person. Though on that note, Kenanji Avery's the only known surviving cast member from the Prologue who hasn't reappeared in the show proper, huh?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Again, though, I think that Delling will get more and more dangerous and effective as the situation slips further and further into open mayhem. I get the vibe that the whole business with him pushing brutal social Darwinism is because that's the environment in which he personally thrives, and that Vim attempting a direct assassination on him was a horrible mistake precisely because of that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think a big thing that could reveal Delling’s true motivations is if it ends up that he captured the main engineer lady from the prologue and has been having her design stuff for him this whole time or if she got assassinated by the hit squad.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I doubt she's alive, but I can see them keeping and rebuilding Suletta's dad's gundam.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Fangz posted:

I doubt she's alive, but I can see them keeping and rebuilding Suletta's dad's gundam.

Though I wouldn't put it past a transhumanist old lady scientist to have uploaded her mind into a computer NGE-style.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
"i doubt they're alive" was also something i thought about gaelio after the season 1 finale of IBO, and we all know how the series ended up

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Endorph is allowed to give you one (1) swirly

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/1579987917912834048

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I do love that they just completely no sold the Air Bud defense with “I don’t care, what are you going to do about it?”.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

galagazombie posted:

I do love that they just completely no sold the Air Bud defense with “I don’t care, what are you going to do about it?”.

I got the impression Delling was just not letting them try bullshit with him. He can smell it, he can't see it, but he knows Prospera's up to something and just shutting it down hard before she can get her schemes underway.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/141mkt3/status/1580906327190011906

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

though i am not a fan of the myriad "delling determines whether a robot is or is not a gundam" memes seeing setsuna's inclusion never fails to bring a smile to my face

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ninjewtsu posted:

i am not a fan of the myriad "delling determines whether a robot is or is not a gundam" memes
:confused:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I love every time one of these includes not just Setsuna, but the Huckebein.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/amagito369/status/1579455773444542465?t=Tjg_9AfkzUE_4zD8KUEVqg&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
What really sucks for him is that the generic Dilanza is so much cooler

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

That could still be something he pilots since its listed as "Character A's Dilanza" maybe they thought having him pilot it after having the more pompous one would be a spoiler

alternative - they make her pilot it against the darilbalde and still beats him making the darilbalde ALSO not sell well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the color matches the school uniform so it probably is a generic school one, though we might get to see an actual named character using it

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cao Ni Ma posted:

alternative - they make her pilot it against the darilbalde and still beats him making the darilbalde ALSO not sell well

The entire point as Vim Jeturk and Lady Prospera set out in the enquiry is to use the Aerial as a tech demonstrator by putting it up against other company's units.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Endorph posted:

the color matches the school uniform so it probably is a generic school one, though we might get to see an actual named character using it

the kit also has different head and shoulder options. So there's a good chance there will be a named character in one, but I think we can safely assume it's a mass production

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/imasogari8119/status/1581117658791043075

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, we've got Japanese TV ratings to work off for Witch's premiere. Not ideal, but better than only having Twitter numbers when determining popularity.

Of course, I'm having some trouble figuring out things looking at Video Research ratings, since there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between household numbers and view numbers that's weird (For example, this week Butt Detective has 1.5 and 1.9, while My Hero Academia has 1.7 and 3.1, so does that mean fewer people per household watch MHA, or what?) but assuming the audience rating is primary, that says Witch was at 1.5 for the pilot. Now, on its own, that's not bad at all. Top ten for the week. And the context for past Gundam is complicated, with a move towards recordings over live (Iron Blooded Orphans was around 50/50 for the plus threes) so it's hard to say anything for sure with just the live how this compares to past Gundams. That said, for shows in the last decade...

Gundam Age got 2.56%. Gundam Build Fighters pulled 1.64%. Build Fighters Try got 1.42% Gundam Reconguista in G managed (in a worse timeslot) 1.80%. Iron Blooded Orphans managed 2.25%, Iron Blooded Orphans season 2 got 1.7%. Witch, again, got 1.5. (3.0 for homes, but I think the older shows were working on individual viewer data)

So, not great, but not Build Divers either, and alternate viewing methods are probably a factor. (For example, the Witch prologue has 3 million views. Less than the 5.4 million for SD World Heroes, but it did manage that in a month versus Heroes needing a year.)

Here's the catch, though. Those were all series averages. (Well, except the 0.8 for the opening of Divers. Divers's ratings flopped hard.) If the older shows were going by homes, then Witch is doing quite well right now, with a pilot outperforming Iron Blooded Orphans Season 2's first episode, at least in live numbers. However, if they were by individual viewers, then Witch is in much worse shape, with its first episode (generally the top performer for a series, barring sleeper hits like Kemeno Friends) falling well below the average ratings for the TV cut of Unicorn.

I really wish I could give information on the whole household versus individual thing, because it would clarify a lot. Still, it's better than nothing on the data front.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you also gotta keep in mind online viewing, especially in japan, is way more common now than it was when ibo was airing. a lot's changed in a few years. pretty sure witch is available on more than one platform in japan.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Just getting in the top 10 is a good sign as that's usually the eternally long running series like Conan/Sazae-san or Precure

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Just getting in the top 10 is a good sign as that's usually the eternally long running series like Conan/Sazae-san or Precure

For seasonals this cour, there's also MHA, which is doing well, and Spy X Family, which is doing absurdly well, to the point of still beating Witch when it was rescheduled without warning for a ping pong match (this caused a certain amount of mass outrage). There's also Chainsaw Man, potentially, but no ratings are out for it yet.

And it's certainly good, but it's not shocking for Gundam. Iron Blooded Orphans, for example, was the top rated seasonal for its entire run.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 16, 2022

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

For seasonals this cour, there's also MHA, which is doing well, and Spy X Family, which is doing absurdly well, to the point of still beating Witch when it was rescheduled without warning for a ping pong match (this caused a certain amount of mass outrage)

Spy x Family performing the best numbers of any Jump series not One Piece in awhile is a big feather in the cap for Jump Plus

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also like yes of course G-Witch performed less than the big Universal Century nostalgiafest.

Unicorn is incredibly popular

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 16, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/caletvwlrh/status/1581331089125089280

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

chiasaur11 posted:

For seasonals this cour, there's also MHA, which is doing well, and Spy X Family, which is doing absurdly well, to the point of still beating Witch when it was rescheduled without warning for a ping pong match (this caused a certain amount of mass outrage). There's also Chainsaw Man, potentially, but no ratings are out for it yet.

And it's certainly good, but it's not shocking for Gundam. Iron Blooded Orphans, for example, was the top rated seasonal for its entire run.

This is a very strong anime season. Usually I watch just one series or two, this season I'm watching GWitch, Pop Team Epic, Spy x Family, and Chainsaw Man.

Anime rules.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Spy x Family performing the best numbers of any Jump series not One Piece in awhile is a big feather in the cap for Jump Plus

There's no need for the modifier. It's outperforming One Piece.

Not by a little, either. One Piece had one of its top rated episodes the week Spy Family premiered, at 2.8 million viewers.

The Forgers?

9.9 million.

The only real competition is Demon Slayer, which is still winning... but considering how big Demon Slayer is, that's not much of an insult.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also like yes of course G-Witch performed less than the big Universal Century nostalgiafest.

Unicorn is incredibly popular

Oh, it is. But the TV edit... much less so.

It had worse ratings than either IBO season, which is why I brought it up. If the numbers for Unicorn are the household numbers, Witch is likely to beat it handily, barring a collapse. If they're individual numbers, then that's much less promising.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 16, 2022

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Considering long running toy show like Pretty Rhythm/Aikatsu/Shinkelion don't hit the top 10 getting in is a good sign though again the thing Bandai Namco probably cares about the most is the model kit sales which hey seems to be good for the main suit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really there's no point trying to read tea leaves this early on, especially for a series that is self-admittedly trying to change public perception of the franchise. two weeks isnt quite enough time for the hypothetical teen girls to realize 'oh wait this isnt as boring as Doan's Island'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I will say, on social media, it seems to be appealing enough to people who are new to Gundam that insufferable people are starting to gatekeep.

It really was a smart move to have the girls getting engaged in the first episode literally right after LycoReco ended. You got the audience right there.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
[Watching the series that has been explicitly anti-war and anti-imperialist since 1979] Gundam is woke now :mad:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

[Watching a series that for about the first decade of its existence heavily focused on a near homoerotic relationship between two men] wtf why is it gay now

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wow, cool robot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I will say, on social media, it seems to be appealing enough to people who are new to Gundam that insufferable people are starting to gatekeep.

It really was a smart move to have the girls getting engaged in the first episode literally right after LycoReco ended. You got the audience right there.

I'd say lucky, assuming standard turnaround times. No way to know how LycoReco would do in advance at the time they were writing the first scripts, but being able to pick up momentum from it certainly helped online.

Looking at all the data I can find, it seems like Witch's household numbers are probably the ones more relevant to the past series, which puts Witch in pretty good shape. It hasn't hit IBO's peak yet, (3.5 for episode 3), but it's well above the average for season 1, let alone season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, the more likely timing is that they wanted to carry the yuri energy off the Golf anime since that's also Sunrise and they know how extreme that show is.