Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

NienNunb posted:

My dad took my phone away from me for an entire vacation because I wouldn’t stop playing this game on full volume during the car ride.

https://youtu.be/xjcWcBBaZvk

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Leadthumb posted:

Before megaman 3 came out there was a kid at school telling everyone he had an uncle at nintendo(of course) and would make up bullshit about the new bosses that no one believed. Here's the thing though, he moved before the game came out, and the reason no one believed him was because he said there was going to be a top man, and megaman can shoot a rocket fist. It haunts me to this day.

oh poo poo

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

Before megaman 3 came out there was a kid at school telling everyone he had an uncle at nintendo(of course) and would make up bullshit about the new bosses that no one believed. Here's the thing though, he moved before the game came out, and the reason no one believed him was because he said there was going to be a top man, and megaman can shoot a rocket fist. It haunts me to this day.

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

NienNunb posted:

My dad took my phone away from me for an entire vacation because I wouldn’t stop playing this game on full volume during the car ride.

https://youtu.be/xjcWcBBaZvk

Based.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Leadthumb posted:

:staredog:

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Red Alert 2 wouldn't run on our computer so my dad bought a new pc and played it more than anyone else did

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Leadthumb posted:

Good lord.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

oh no! why?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Leadthumb posted:

oh no! why?

that kid grew up lol

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I knew a kid who would talk about Ocarina of Time in a really unusual way. He wasn't very smart or eloquent but he could describe Hyrule in a really detailed way and gave really good advice. Later, I realized that kid had, for reasons I can't understand, memorized the entirety of the Nintendo power official guide and could quote from it at will

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

that kid grew up lol

oh lol mb I thought you were going to kill me, phew.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Leadthumb posted:

lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

I knew a kid who would talk about Ocarina of Time in a really unusual way. He wasn't very smart or eloquent but he could describe Hyrule in a really detailed way and gave really good advice. Later, I realized that kid had, for reasons I can't understand, memorized the entirety of the Nintendo power official guide and could quote from it at will

Beforeiplay had a rough start in life before it found its home in Web 2.0

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
In 8th(?) grade I would carry around the Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Goldeneye 007 official strategy guides along with my regular stack of school books and read them in my downtime between class/assignments.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

:stare:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lmao the tattoo

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I spent a lot of time chasing the rumors about how to revive Aerith in FF7 or find the Triforce in OoT. The Triforce hunt was what actually lead me to get every skulltula in the game because it was often a listed requirement in the stuff people would make up.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Leadthumb posted:

i am going to kill you. say your goodbyes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

In 8th(?) grade I would carry around the Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Goldeneye 007 official strategy guides along with my regular stack of school books and read them in my downtime between class/assignments.

I did this in elementary school with the Sonic 3 strategy guide. There were parts of the maps on some levels that were impossible to get to which were obviously intended for Knuckles but this was before Sonic & Knuckles was even announced and I got obsessed with these mysterious areas lol.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

American McGay posted:

I think I told this story before, but when I went to the mall with my dad to get the badass secret of mana guide/art book the total came out to 2 cents over what I had saved up. My dad didn't have any change either and the clerk made him write out a check for the two cents and I thought my dad was going to kill him. I thought it was funny at the time, but now I also want to kill him.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Our video game TV had a damaged screen where the top inch or so was blacked out. Playing FF6 you'd have to constantly adjust the vertical tracking or you'd never know who was talking about what

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

Our video game TV had a damaged screen where the top inch or so was blacked out. Playing FF6 you'd have to constantly adjust the vertical tracking or you'd never know who was talking about what

lol

I played legend of zelda before I could read and my folks would help me, and I used to tell people "the secret is in the eastmost peninsula" all the time having no idea what those last two words meant.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

A kid in school told me Mortal Kombat 2 for the Genesis had a nude code and you had to press the b button 50 times at the title screen. I told him he was full of it, but he would not let up and described every character nude. I knew he was making it all up, but I spent that entire evening at the MK 2 title screen pressing the b button.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Leadthumb posted:

I think I told this story before, but when I went to the mall with my dad to get the badass secret of mana guide/art book the total came out to 2 cents over what I had saved up. My dad didn't have any change either and the clerk made him write out a check for the two cents and I thought my dad was going to kill him. I thought it was funny at the time, but now I also want to kill him.

bees x1000 posted:

Lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

herculon posted:

A kid in school told me Mortal Kombat 2 for the Genesis had a nude code and you had to press the b button 50 times at the title screen. I told him he was full of it, but he would not let up and described every character nude. I knew he was making it all up, but I spent that entire evening at the MK 2 title screen pressing the b button.

Gaming before the internet was the loving wild west.

Sub-Actuality posted:

lmao the tattoo

oh poo poo, lol

b_d posted:

i am going to kill you. say your goodbyes

Gah! why?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

herculon posted:

lmao
I don't know what the childhood compulsion to make stuff up is about, maybe kids want to feel like they know a secret or something.

I remember unlocking ness in smash bros and having no idea who he was. my friend said he was "a mushroom man, like toad" and you could unlock him in mario 64, which i believed unquestioningly for years

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I unquestionably believed the kid who told me he tried to play the Genesis game Tommy Lasorda Baseball on his Nintendo and he got an error message on the TV and it caught on fire. The kid was about three years older than me, so he had to be telling the truth

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

there was a kid at school that would always make up fake doom cheat codes but would sprinkle real ones in there, now i have a permanent distrust of anyone with the name kane

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

there was a kid named Ricky telling me about some super secret code involving hot-swapping Mario cartridges in the middle of a long sequence of button presses. I don't remember what the code was supposed to do.

I also remember reading a Nintendo Power interview with some NOA employee and they asked him how to unlock Ninja Mario in 64. His response was 'I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you' but I didn't understand it was a joke. I spent a long time reasoning out why someone would have to die after learning that secret.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

there was a kid at school that would always make up fake doom cheat codes but would sprinkle real ones in there, now i have a permanent distrust of anyone with the name kane

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

American McGay posted:

I did this with the Pokemon Silver/Gold guide until some tweaker friend of my parents saved over my endgame save I had right outside the final boss's room and it made me so loving upset I never played it again. Lol.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Leadthumb posted:

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

American McGay posted:

I did this with the Kingdom Hearts 2 guide

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
When I was 14 my parents got me a PS2 and a copy of metal gear solid 2 for my birthday. I had to do birthday dinner for the rest of the evening, but my older brother (who I didn't get to see much) let me stay over at his apartment that night and bought me a case of mountain dew. I stayed up all night playing mgs2 (having never played mgs1) and got to the "I need scissors, 61" part at like 6 in the morning while fading hard from a sugar crash.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SoR Blaze posted:

When I was 14 my parents got me a PS2 and a copy of metal gear solid 2 for my birthday. I had to do birthday dinner for the rest of the evening, but my older brother (who I didn't get to see much) let me stay over at his apartment that night and bought me a case of mountain dew. I stayed up all night playing mgs2 (having never played mgs1) and got to the "I need scissors, 61" part at like 6 in the morning while fading hard from a sugar crash.

This is how I played MGS2 including tapping out at the same point but I had played the others and also I was 26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Leadthumb posted:

I played legend of zelda before I could read and my folks would help me, and I used to tell people "the secret is in the eastmost peninsula" all the time having no idea what those last two words meant.

lol

i don't remember. but i guess i'll spare you due to the eastmost peninsula story and the 2 cent check

bees x1000 posted:

I also remember reading a Nintendo Power interview with some NOA employee and they asked him how to unlock Ninja Mario in 64. His response was 'I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you' but I didn't understand it was a joke. I spent a long time reasoning out why someone would have to die after learning that secret.

lol