Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020

I CANT RESIST SHITTING UP THE BIG BOOBS THREAD WITH MY RANDOM FUCKING MONKEY CHEESE BULLSHIT! IF YOU SEE ME, FUCK ME UP.
id like to take a moment to reflect upon the gaming moments of the past. the earliest and most primal thoughts when you had like when powering on a console for the first time, or mashing the buttons at the arcade and not realising you had to put tokens in to play

from my memory bank:

playing super mario world at daycare as a toddler was insanely epic; there was enough time for me to figure out how to beat the first two levels before I got picked up(the initial victory took place over a period of weeks) and my mind was blown when I then ealised I could go back and visit yoshi at his house. This was like a prehistoric DLC experience where shigeru miyamoto had literally thought of everything and spared no expense to create the perfect immersive experience for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I used to pretend to play video games in preschool, like using my hands and pretending I'm making Mario jump. The teachers got mad at me for doing so and would tell me to stop whenever they saw me doing it. They told my parents they should limit how much I play video games to like 30 minutes a day. They did that for a while until they realized how stupid that was, but the teachers still got on my case until I left that preschool. God forbid a kid use his imagination.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

long story but....... when my two younger brothers and i were kids, we used to "play mario in real life," where after turning off the console, (and often while we were playing), we would pretend to be the characters outside of the story in the games. we each had assigned roles. mario was an idiot with a high pitched voice, for some reason, who kept screwing everything up and luigi had to fix it. as we added games like zelda and final fantasy to "in real life," the concept gradually got more advanced, but all the characters had traits they didn't have in the games. Edge from final fantasy 4 was a bugs bunny-esque scoundrel who was always chewing on a butterfinger bar, the fifth maiden from ALttP was a chef who baked pies, and three of the characters from ultima exodus were mischievous toddlers being babysat by the hapless paladin in the party, whose catchphrase was "THOOOOOSE THREEEEE!!!" (we never got very far in ultima exodus).

it kept getting more complicated. each video game was its own planet, in a painted universe created by us, "the Artists" for a TV show. characters who beat their games got to learn the truth from us directly and could talk to their creators if they wanted, as well as travel to any other planets that had finished their games. the monsters we killed just to grind were annoying, moronic cartoon characters created just to be hapless victims for comedy, and "the Artists" created an automated planet that spewed them out into the painted universe called Weird Guy World. but Weird Guy World made too many of them for us to control, so there was a booth at the top of the universe with what was basically a hired troll called the Shut Up Guy. he told people to shut up and blew them up with a rocket launcher if they didn't, and any of us could play the Shut Up Guy. but then we would talk at the same time, so we had to invent the Shut Up Guy's Friend and the Shut Up Guy's Buddy, and they each had their own personalities. Friend was more in touch with his sensitive side and buddy was a trainee learning the Shut Up Guy ropes.

we got too old to play pretend like that, but some of the concepts stuck with me and at some point, i wrote this little thing where the Shut Up Guy was the one who woke up in Oz in the Wizard of Oz instead of dorothy. eventually it grew into a full length play (the Shut Up Guy was replaced with a teenage girl) that actually got performed at my high school, and the script won me a monetary prize at graduation. i used the money to buy my own computer for the first time, and having my own unfettered access to the internet was led me to discover somethingawful, and therefore to make this post.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

long story but....... when my two younger brothers and i were kids, we used to "play mario in real life," where after turning off the console, (and often while we were playing), we would pretend to be the characters outside of the story in the games. we each had assigned roles. mario was an idiot with a high pitched voice, for some reason, who kept screwing everything up and luigi had to fix it. as we added games like zelda and final fantasy to "in real life," the concept gradually got more advanced, but all the characters had traits they didn't have in the games. Edge from final fantasy 4 was a bugs bunny-esque scoundrel who was always chewing on a butterfinger bar, the fifth maiden from ALttP was a chef who baked pies, and three of the characters from ultima exodus were mischievous toddlers being babysat by the hapless paladin in the party, whose catchphrase was "THOOOOOSE THREEEEE!!!" (we never got very far in ultima exodus).

it kept getting more complicated. each video game was its own planet, in a painted universe created by us, "the Artists" for a TV show. characters who beat their games got to learn the truth from us directly and could talk to their creators if they wanted, as well as travel to any other planets that had finished their games. the monsters we killed just to grind were annoying, moronic cartoon characters created just to be hapless victims for comedy, and "the Artists" created an automated planet that spewed them out into the painted universe called Weird Guy World. but Weird Guy World made too many of them for us to control, so there was a booth at the top of the universe with what was basically a hired troll called the Shut Up Guy. he told people to shut up and blew them up with a rocket launcher if they didn't, and any of us could play the Shut Up Guy. but then we would talk at the same time, so we had to invent the Shut Up Guy's Friend and the Shut Up Guy's Buddy, and they each had their own personalities. Friend was more in touch with his sensitive side and buddy was a trainee learning the Shut Up Guy ropes.

we got too old to play pretend like that, but some of the concepts stuck with me and at some point, i wrote this little thing where the Shut Up Guy was the one who woke up in Oz in the Wizard of Oz instead of dorothy. eventually it grew into a full length play (the Shut Up Guy was replaced with a teenage girl) that actually got performed at my high school, and the script won me a monetary prize at graduation. i used the money to buy my own computer for the first time, and having my own unfettered access to the internet was led me to discover somethingawful, and therefore to make this post.

christ, no wonder you life was so drat busy lately. youd been typing this post

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

christ, no wonder you life was so drat busy lately. youd been typing this post

Lmfao

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Bring back flaming the fuckwit mods!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i played simcity for snes when i was little and i got a loan it shows you a picture of a little bank and you can see the teller thru the window and it mesmerized me to think that there wre little pretend people inside of hte pretend bank doing their pretend jobs. was just a really strong illusion for some reason. not to mention the actual city part of the game too, but the bank is just a weird thing i remember specifically. i also liked to imagine that when i turned super mario 64 off mario was still inside the cartridge doing stuff

ill read the rest of the posts later goodnight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Hell of a finale

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The play's name was Ready Player One.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Played Nintendo at day care when I was 3, we had Burger Time, Super Mario Bros, and Contra. I have absolutely no idea who decided to give a bunch of toddlers Contra, but it owned.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I remember not getting a SNES for birthday but really, really wanting one as a child. So I used my lunch money to buy the Nintendo magazine and I cut out the Mario and Link sprites, drew my own backgrounds and levels on paper and pretended I play the game by moving the cutouts, making Mario jump on a goomba etc.

Then I got a SNES for christmas (I assume my parents found out what I spent my lunch money on) with Super Mario World and LttP and I basically was in child gamer heaven. Good times.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

sonic 1 was the first game I owned as a kid and I couldn’t beat the second level so instead I wandered around it pretending Sonic was trying to find and stop a “lava wizard”

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

the battery in my copy of shining force 2 went out so after we lost really good saves we moved the sega and a tiny tv into the basement where we could just keep it on as we tried to play through it and hoped there wasn't a power outage from a summer storm

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Bring back flaming the fuckwit mods!

I can't even probate him because nobody has yet successfully figured out how Australia time works.

Lmao Tzu
Sep 11, 2014

Reaverbot posted:

sonic 1 was the first game I owned as a kid and I couldn’t beat the second level so instead I wandered around it pretending Sonic was trying to find and stop a “lava wizard”

lol

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

As a kid I was never coordinated enough to beat racing games so I'd always turn around right away and just explore the levels in my own time, ignoring any urgings to turn around.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
When I was 8 or so I tried really, really hard to imagine what heaven was like, and settled on a cabinet receding into the distance, with every video game ever made on it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

one of my first gaming experiences was playing Crash Bandicoot 2 & 3 at a Wegman's childcare center every time my parents shopped for groceries. i think i had the layout of the first several levels of each burned into my memory for years afterwards.

GorfZaplen posted:

As a kid I was never coordinated enough to beat racing games so I'd always turn around right away and just explore the levels in my own time, ignoring any urgings to turn around.

i did this a lot in MK Double Dash. i was also extremely unnerved by the ghost racers that you could compete against in Time Trial mode, so i'd push myself as hard as possible to beat them, and if i knew they were going to cross the finish line before me i'd quit out of the stage before that could happen. i don't know why i just didn't stop saving the ghost data.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bravely walking to the cashier with my copy of Rumble Roses.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

symbolic posted:

one of my first gaming experiences was playing Crash Bandicoot 2 & 3 at a Wegman's childcare center every time my parents shopped for groceries. i think i had the layout of the first several levels of each burned into my memory for years afterwards.

Wegmans ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I borrowed Final Fantasy 1 from a friend when I was like 6 years old and I had no idea how RPGs worked or leveling or anything. So I just walked straight to Garland who I thought was the final boss and died immediately. I thought it was the most badass game I’d ever played

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
You were right

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Caithness posted:

You were right

about everything, really

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

when I was a kid we had neighbors move in from the east coast. very secretive about what their parents did, but they were two boys around my age who loved games and I was like 9 so I didn't really care. They were only allowed to play at my place for some reason which was fine by me. Eventually their mom said "we trust you" without qualifying that statement and I was allowed into their place. Their basement had multiple projectors setup with consoles and games and two arcade WaveRunner games. I was only allowed there twice before their parents moved without telling anyone, just in the middle of the night vanished. My parents said they were some kind of east coast gypsy family, who knows if they stole that stuff and who cares, waverunner rules.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Caithness posted:

You were right

lol

calhoun
Feb 8, 2004
Couldn't get past the scorpion in disc 1 of FFVII so I tried disc 2. Then 3.

Now? I've beaten FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, FF13, and FFXV. A far cry ftom the kid I once was, no?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I remember sitting down at the TV with a controller and pressing buttons to pretend I was playing 'the news' or whatever boring adult stuff my parents would put on at the time.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i had mario land as a kid and one of the levels had an invisible platform leading to a secret area. i used to like to trick family members by telling them about it, and then after i had earned their trust, telling them there was another one later on and watching them fall to their death

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i saw the tiny running man

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

I remember sitting down at the TV with a controller and pressing buttons to pretend I was playing 'the news' or whatever boring adult stuff my parents would put on at the time.

This is how 9/11 happened.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

video games were always around when i was a kid, my mom had a nintendo and an atari, my dads house had a genesis. the earliest game i remember playing was altered beast, hearing POWER. UP. always takes me back. eventually when my mom got a genesis and sega cd, i got the nintendo to myself and i was hooked from there. super mario bros 2, clash at demonhead, the legend of zelda, we had dragon warrior but i was too stupid/young to enjoy RPGs until i played lufia. but those three games i just remember playing over and over as a kid.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is how 9/11 happened.

Watching the first tower come down and telling my parents "Don't worry, I have an extra life"

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

when i was a teen my friends and i would use code words for doing bad stuff in case parents were listening. our code for drinking booze that we stole out of neighbors' garages and stashed in the woods was playin some zeld'

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

when I was a kid we had neighbors move in from the east coast. very secretive about what their parents did, but they were two boys around my age who loved games and I was like 9 so I didn't really care. They were only allowed to play at my place for some reason which was fine by me. Eventually their mom said "we trust you" without qualifying that statement and I was allowed into their place. Their basement had multiple projectors setup with consoles and games and two arcade WaveRunner games. I was only allowed there twice before their parents moved without telling anyone, just in the middle of the night vanished. My parents said they were some kind of east coast gypsy family, who knows if they stole that stuff and who cares, waverunner rules.

east coast gypsy gamers ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

when i was a teen my friends and i would use code words for doing bad stuff in case parents were listening. our code for drinking booze that we stole out of neighbors' garages and stashed in the woods was playin some zeld'

this is the opposite of the thread title

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

The forst game i saw was smb 1 at a friends house and i begged until i got a nintendo of my own and from then on it was a steady stream of bad platformers and licensed games that gave me myopia, anxiety, and depression before i became a fully pilled member of the pc master race.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got the NES pack that came with ROB and if you don't know, the way ROB worked was that there was this little station that spun up a top, and then you would have ROB pick up the top (I don't remember how) and put it on one of two quarter-sized plastic concave buttons. These buttons were part of a contraption that connected to your player 2 controller and one moved a lever that pressed the A button and one that pressed B button, so it was just an insanely convoluted gimmick. I dunno how many games were ROB compatible but I only had Gyromite, which was a puzzle game where you could open red and blue gates by pressing A or pressing B, depending on the color, and then walk your little scientist guy across. The way you're supposed to play it is to use ROB and the contraption, pick up the spinning top, put it on a button, but it took like a full minute to do it, and the top would often (always) spin out of the button and you'd get smashed in the gate and die. Instead of doing all that, I just had my little brother open gates but what he actually did was kill my guy constantly by smashing me with the gates, which led to a lot of fights. ROB was fuckign stupid.

Some years later I also got a Power Glove, which was a piece of poo poo that was impossible to use, so I eventually just cut the cord off of it and used it as like a hand space laser toy, which it was very cool for.

Oh also I can remember the very first time I ever saw an NES, my friend had one, and I have a very vivid memory of being in his room, at night, sitting on one of his bunk beds and playing SMB level 1-2, it's one of my clearest childhood memories. I don't remember the kids name but I remember that room set up very well. His parents were divorced so he had a lot of cool stuff, Spencer Gifts type stuff that is very appealing when you're six or seven years old

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 12, 2021

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The first video game I ever played was Super Mario Brothers when I was like 4 and my mom’s boyfriend had to spend quite a few minutes convincing me to play because I kept refusing, afraid that I would lose.

I think I had it in my head that all the enemies were controlled by other people trying to kill me which I didn’t like

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

My dad said see that man? Thays your grandpa. He was killed in a tragic guardtower accident when i got to the boss of wolfenstien 3ds 3rd episode. Pretty cool to habe a family member immortalized in a classic game tbh

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I saved up all year to buy a power glove but my mom convinced me to instead open my own bank account that paid like .005% interest. The glove would have been a much better investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i really wanted crash bandicoot as a kid, so i would always beg my mom to get it whenever she went to the store. she came back from costco one time and i asked if she got it, she said yea, here it is and put a container of goldbond foot powder on a table near the front door. my excitement rendered me retarded and i spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out how this was a video game, slowly going through the stages of grief before realizing it wasn't a game and running to my room to have a tantrum for the rest of the day