Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Undead Hippo posted:

It's not. It's not a question of optimization of outcome. It's a question of moral involvement. It's the trolley problem.

Are you OK with being the one to flip the switch to kill someone, even if you're hopefully saving five? For some people, the answer is always going to be no. They are not going to give the choice their moral endorsement.

That's not what the trolley problem is and using just bit of it makes zero sense. However, the second bit is also helpful in this discussion!

The second bit applies to everyone who pulled the lever and saved the 5: why aren't you out there harvesting the organs of random people to save many many more?

Originally this was used to poo poo on utilitarian ethics, but if you're committing to pulling the lever (ie voting labour), why aren't you also committing to doing more, no matter how illegal? Isn't it worth it? In which case you're at the same point as people who won't vote labour. Is it just because you'll get done for it, in which case it should still fit in the "lesser evil" category and you're either a coward or don't believe your own argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

It's this. My political goal is the destruction of the Labour Party. We tried to take it over from the left, it was a failure for a multitude of reasons that include the then leader being staggeringly naive for a nearly 35+ year MP. It was a fight for the heart of the Labour Party & he really just wanted everyone to just get along. So now it's a failure the death of Labour is the only real option. Labour winning another term in government obviously stymies that goal.

The reason the "you have to vote for the lesser of two evils" thing doesn't work is that it's one way. Leftists must accept neoliberalism, never the other way around, to stop fascism. The French left are expected to vote for Macron who goes around destroying workers rights & pensions. And then next time around it'll be even more imperative to vote for the neoliberals because more people will turn to fascism as the only alternative on offer. And so on until Le Pen wins eventually, be it now or in 10 years.

It's so short-termist & frankly I've had my fill of politics that's unable to think more than one election cycle ahead. Parliament itself is a tiny encapsulation of this: for decades they've been talking about needing to shut it down for a while to do massive restoration works. And for decades they kick the ball down the street so someone else can make the decision & here we are in 2022 & it still needs massive works on the plumbing system, on holes in the roof, all that poo poo. And the longer it goes the more it'll end up costing & the longer it'll take. It's a disaster.

Yes, 5 more years of the Tories is chronic, I don't want that. But 5 years of Tory-lite before 5 more years of the Tories proper again is better how? The NHS is in a dire situation, it needs more than "enough funding to keep it almost ticking over for 5 years, but still pretty shambolic in the scheme of things", it needs massive reform, massive investment to have a health service fit for purpose. We need a government that places human welfare over profit & growth. God do we need to end the obsession with growth, an environmental catastrophe. And Kieth loving Starmer isn't it. Kieth Starmer is at best going to pause most of the decline for 5 years. Sorry, not enough. Kicking the can down the road for 5 years is not acceptable. We've done that for longer than I've been alive, at some loving point there has to be a reckoning where big decisions are taken, & Kieth is not a man who is going to take big decisions unless it involves sending people to prison for the pettiest bullshit, like the last New Labour freaks who were in government

I swear this is my last empty quote for the day

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Voting (or not voting) Labour isn't illegal yet.

Only Kindness posted:

I assume this person was a plant, back in the day, like most of the QT audience.
Sausages based plant.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The real answer to the butchered trolley problem being deployed for anything other than its intended purpose (which is making GBS threads on Jeremy Bentham) is that real life consequences don't work like a trolley on a train track and predicting outcomes like that, especially with something like voting, is basically reading tea leaves/tarot.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

UK short-term politics is the trolley problem except after you run over either one or five people there's another junction with the exact same set-up and the trolley never slows down because everyone is obsessing about switching tracks instead of finding the brake. For completeness of analogy I guess the braking distance is an unknown number of junctions long, but if enough people go for the brake the trolley *will eventually stop*

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The trolly problem but it's keith drunk driving and you are on a bicycle

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

if you pull the lever the trolley will still kill you but it will lament that it’s a difficult decision

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If you live in a constituency with an MP in the SCG (or a candidate who will join if they win) and you don't vote Labour you can go gently caress yourself.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, 5 more years of the Tories is chronic, I don't want that. But 5 years of Tory-lite before 5 more years of the Tories proper again is better how? The NHS is in a dire situation, it needs more than "enough funding to keep it almost ticking over for 5 years, but still pretty shambolic in the scheme of things", it needs massive reform, massive investment to have a health service fit for purpose. We need a government that places human welfare over profit & growth. God do we need to end the obsession with growth, an environmental catastrophe. And Kieth loving Starmer isn't it. Kieth Starmer is at best going to pause most of the decline for 5 years. Sorry, not enough. Kicking the can down the road for 5 years is not acceptable. We've done that for longer than I've been alive, at some loving point there has to be a reckoning where big decisions are taken, & Kieth is not a man who is going to take big decisions unless it involves sending people to prison for the pettiest bullshit, like the last New Labour freaks who were in government

In 5 more years of the Tories there won't be an NHS. The Tories winning and Labour dying is just kicking the can again. The Tories get 5 more years and a left wing alternative needs to form or cannibalise an existing party, which also takes time. Meanwhile everything gets more miserable and terrible, we lose more resources and rights to the Tories and fighting back gets harder.

sebzilla posted:

UK short-term politics is the trolley problem except after you run over either one or five people there's another junction with the exact same set-up and the trolley never slows down because everyone is obsessing about switching tracks instead of finding the brake. For completeness of analogy I guess the braking distance is an unknown number of junctions long, but if enough people go for the brake the trolley *will eventually stop*

What does finding the brakes look like in our current situation? I still haven't seen any good alternative being offered except for "5 more years of the Tories and then something better might show up once everything gets so catastrophically bad that surely people will want better."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Only Kindness posted:

Sausages are already means-tested, luv! (I assume this person was a plant, back in the day, like most of the QT audience.)

quote:

Question Time viewers slam Emma Barnett after host asked Angela Rayner if Labour would 'nationalise sausages'

Addressing Ms Rayner, Ms Barnett asked whether the Labour Party would “nationalise sausages” if they won the election and referred to it as “the party of the Big State”.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/question-time-host-emma-barnett-labour-nationalise-sausages-a4309576.html

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Rayner should've answered "Yes actually, we are going to nationalise sausages. Now gently caress off."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nephthys posted:

What does finding the brakes look like in our current situation? I still haven't seen any good alternative being offered except for "5 more years of the Tories and then something better might show up once everything gets so catastrophically bad that surely people will want better."

"Everything stays exactly as poo poo as it is now" is not the winning argument you think it is

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nephthys posted:

In 5 more years of the Tories there won't be an NHS. The Tories winning and Labour dying is just kicking the can again. The Tories get 5 more years and a left wing alternative needs to form or cannibalise an existing party, which also takes time. Meanwhile everything gets more miserable and terrible, we lose more resources and rights to the Tories and fighting back gets harder.

It takes some loving balls to argue that people should vote for the "massive expansion of PFI" party to save the NHS, I'll give you that.

Maybe it was this interview with our future health secretary that brought you on board
https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1573650694460030978

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh that is a vile picture

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

"Everything stays exactly as poo poo as it is now" is not the winning argument you think it is

If there genuinely is a better alternative to the Tories than Labour I would love to hear it. If there isn't then Labour is the only alternative that can lead to positive change.

Tarnop posted:

It takes some loving balls to argue that people should vote for the "massive expansion of PFI" party to save the NHS, I'll give you that.

Sounds pretty awful, but there are ways to fight back against this that doesn't involve the tories getting another 5 years to obliterate the NHS without mercy. But if you think they'll protect it better than Labour then I guess you do you.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nephthys posted:

If there genuinely is a better alternative to the Tories than Labour I would love to hear it. If there isn't then Labour is the only alternative that can lead to positive change.

Sounds pretty awful, but there are ways to fight back against this that doesn't involve the tories getting another 5 years to obliterate the NHS without mercy. But if you think they'll protect it better than Labour then I guess you do you.

I won't be voting for the Tories either.

Oh and I'll save you the bother: "not voting for Labour in FPTP is a vote for the Tories :qq:"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Nobody said Biden was good, but he is getting some good things done. Which is a hundred times more than would be done under Trump.

Will Starmer be bad and implement awful policies? Yeah, but I also imagine some policies will have positive outcomes and he'll reverse some of the turbofucking the tories are carrying out.

Imagination is a wonderful thing

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nephthys posted:

The idea that change can only come from inside of parliament is not necessarily accurate.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Sounds pretty awful, but there are ways to fight back against this that doesn't involve the tories getting another 5 years to obliterate the NHS without mercy.
Yeah, you can vote Labour in to do the job instead. Its why Streeting has been talking about private investment in the NHS. They put the message out that they want corporate donors, they're now starting to get them and Labour are telling us what they'll get in return for that investment.

The NHS is done. For it to stay safe or improve it would have to have a government strong enough to stand up to the private interests that want to strip it apart and Labour don't want to do that, they want to work with them.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Nephthys posted:

Sounds pretty awful, but there are ways to fight back against this that doesn't involve the tories getting another 5 years to obliterate the NHS without mercy.

none of which involve voting for labour in any constituency with a bad mp tho, because they agree with the tories on this

do I think labour will nuke the economy for a joke or try to strong arm a nuclear power? no. Do I think they will do literally anything different with the NHS or quality of living or disability rights or protests or workers rights or lgbt rights? no. there is absolutely no reason to think otherwise

you're applying a US styled understanding of politics to a system where it absolutely does not work at any level. If it was a coinflip corporate dictatorship like the US I would probably vote for the lesser evil, but I have to vote for individuals, and some of them openly want to do things I can absolutely never sign off on. Those people will then, having been elected, use their vote and their position to attack the NHS, attack every human right they can find, empower the met, and continue to sell off everything they can get their filthy hands on while calling you, me, and every human that has ever held a single moral principle terrorists and antisemites. I am not ok with handing over this kind of power and leverage to people that don't deserve to live, just because they're wearing the stolen skin of a long dead workers movement. If the tories go into an election as absolutely hosed as they appear to be then the only rational "least bad" approach would be for leftists to work out how to get the smallest possible majority and completely abandon individual constituencies based on how poo poo the PPCs are. Voting for the rosette decreases your chances of a good government because there's a huge block of cunts that can ignore the SCG and any other MPs who aren't monsters.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1580555497199251456
:toot:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

happyhippy posted:

It's Game Theory.

[...]

So you vote Labour and things less poo poo incrementally.
Instead of hoping everyone else votes third party as well.
Except you also have the media and lobbying interests preconditioning everyone before they make the choice, so it's more like a weird combination of Game Theory, the Stanford Prison Experiment and, idk, pavlov's dog, but every time they ring the bell, the guards beat you up if you voted left of Enoch Powell.

Man psychology in the 60s was loving wild.

Tarnop posted:

Every person in this thread advocating support for Starmer's Labour as the lesser evil is acting like it's self-evident that they will be less evil.
Personally I think this is an absolutely deranged sentence to type, considering that every time they're elected the Tories manage to dream up and enact new and unimagined evils. At this point they might as well make their election manifesto a lamentation cube.

Yes, it won't be good under labour, but at least it won't be horrifying in new and unexpected ways.

If Rees-Mogg is a haunted ventriloquist, Streeting is definitely his missing dummy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

The trolley was taken out of service and there is instead a replacement ethics bus that runs only through the middle of orphanages.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
'Starmer's Labour won't find new and exciting ways to make things worse' also seems like a claim rooted more in faith than evidence, especially considering how extravagantly toxic their management of their own party has been.

They've conflated 'legitimacy' with antidemocratic far-right brutality, and that leads politicians to impressively terrible places. Just look at the sort of poo poo their lord and saviour Tony Blair is up to these days.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yes, it won't be good under labour, but at least it won't be horrifying in new and unexpected ways.

Have a read of that Jon Stone Twitter thread about all the appalling right-wing poo poo New Labour came out with.

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1231543272943898626?t=nKfFY_bI28xQ1cGOk-Cvsg&s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Labour invented the work capability assessments.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Have a read of that Jon Stone Twitter thread about all the appalling right-wing poo poo New Labour came out with.

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1231543272943898626?t=nKfFY_bI28xQ1cGOk-Cvsg&s=19
I mean I don't see anything on there the Tories haven't done worse.

E: that's not my point. I'm not going to defend labour. I was replying to this post:

Tarnop posted:

Every person in this thread advocating support for Starmer's Labour as the lesser evil is acting like it's self-evident that they will be less evil.
... and I think it's nuts asking if labour will be "less evil" than the tories. Yes they will still not be good. Yes they will still do harm the tories also would have done. But more evil?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 13, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that because the tories are worse or because the tories have been the ones in power for the last 12 years and continued on from where blair left off? As blair continued on from the tories before him?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean I don't see anything on there the Tories haven't done worse.

Standing on the shoulders of giants

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tarnop posted:

Every person in this thread advocating support for Starmer's Labour as the lesser evil is acting like it's self-evident that they will be less evil. I can only conclude that this is because there's no actual evidence that they'll be better, along with the substantial evidence I've seen that they'll be worse.

As someone who will be on the receiving end of Reeves's "gently caress the disabled" economic policies, it's an interesting experience to watch large sections of a normally quite comradely thread write you off as acceptable collateral damage

So I think pretty evidently, Starmer's labour would have been very unlikely to release a mini budget that announced unfunded tax cuts for the rich and unfunded energy price freezes because Starmer's labour announced its own budget that explicitly didn't have these things and funded energy price freezes via windfall taxes on energy companies.

The consequences of the Tory budget are that the pound crashed and the bank of England had to buy bonds in a bid to stop pensions from collapsing.

These have multiple long term consequences. But to list two obvious ones. The pound crashing makes importing food more expensive which will knock on to food prices on supermarket shelves. It makes it that much harder for the poorest to be able to feed their families at a time when it's already going to be prohibitively difficult for them pay for even basic bills.

The bank's actions knock on to interest rates which make mortgages a lot more expensive. This knocks on to people who don't own houses through their rent and also significantly harms anyone who has borrowed money at all, which encompasses a lot of poorer people trying to make ends meet.

Typically even you assume that Tory and Labour policy are essentially the same, the Tories also make astoundingly stupid decisions moment to moment where Labour as they are probably wouldn't.

With that being said I don't think your concerns about potentially regressive disability policy are invalid, nor do I want to say your anger is unjustified.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Man psychology in the 60s was loving wild.
Also half of it was deliberately shoddily done to present a terrible picture of humanity, which possibly presents a more accurate picture of psychology professors.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

My political goal is the destruction of the Labour Party.

My political goal is the destruction of the Conservative Party.

If the Tories were electorally annihilated, like some of those recent polls suggested they could be, and as has happened elsewhere in different contexts (eg the Républicains in France in 2017, the Progressive Conservatives in Canada in the early 1990s), I would take that 10/10 over Labour being destroyed.

Oh dear me posted:

He hasn't prevented a 2nd term Trump.

Touché.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

The idea that change can only come from inside of parliament is not necessarily accurate.

Things have gotten bad enough that I'm all for social upheaval, but you can't rely on it happening.

Gorn Myson posted:

Yeah, you can vote Labour in to do the job instead. Its why Streeting has been talking about private investment in the NHS. They put the message out that they want corporate donors, they're now starting to get them and Labour are telling us what they'll get in return for that investment.

The NHS is done. For it to stay safe or improve it would have to have a government strong enough to stand up to the private interests that want to strip it apart and Labour don't want to do that, they want to work with them.

I'm sorry but this is just pure defeatism. If politicians get enough blowback on a policy then they will U-turn on it. Truss is failing so spectacularly right now because she seems to be uniquely suicidal and is refusing to back down to pressure to the point that shitstain Bojo actually has a credible chance of walking back into No 10 this month. But most people in power loving love staying in power. If NHS privatisation means a Labour defeat at the polls there'll be pressure to back down on it. But to even get to that point we need the Tories out.

Spangly A posted:

none of which involve voting for labour in any constituency with a bad mp tho, because they agree with the tories on this

do I think labour will nuke the economy for a joke or try to strong arm a nuclear power? no. Do I think they will do literally anything different with the NHS or quality of living or disability rights or protests or workers rights or lgbt rights? no. there is absolutely no reason to think otherwise

you're applying a US styled understanding of politics to a system where it absolutely does not work at any level. If it was a coinflip corporate dictatorship like the US I would probably vote for the lesser evil, but I have to vote for individuals, and some of them openly want to do things I can absolutely never sign off on. Those people will then, having been elected, use their vote and their position to attack the NHS, attack every human right they can find, empower the met, and continue to sell off everything they can get their filthy hands on while calling you, me, and every human that has ever held a single moral principle terrorists and antisemites. I am not ok with handing over this kind of power and leverage to people that don't deserve to live, just because they're wearing the stolen skin of a long dead workers movement. If the tories go into an election as absolutely hosed as they appear to be then the only rational "least bad" approach would be for leftists to work out how to get the smallest possible majority and completely abandon individual constituencies based on how poo poo the PPCs are. Voting for the rosette decreases your chances of a good government because there's a huge block of cunts that can ignore the SCG and any other MPs who aren't monsters.

If your MP is a complete monster then don't vote for them. Hell, I live in an area where it's Lib Dem or Tory so it's not like I'm saying vote Labour no matter what. The thing I'm against is the argument that accelerationism is a better alternative to Labour. I don't accept that and I absolutely refuse to accept the idea that rewarding the current brand of Tory cunts with more power and privilege is a good thing. gently caress every Tory that ever lived. The party that needs to be destroyed is them, completely and absolutely. I'm not pro-Labour, I'm anti-Tory.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Replying to this so I can find it another time

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

notaspy posted:

Replying to this so I can find it another time

You can bookmark tweets (which is how I found this at short notice)

I've got a good one on Burnham saved too for the next time anyone starts to think he might be the answer to anything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nephthys posted:

I'm sorry but this is just pure defeatism. If politicians get enough blowback on a policy then they will U-turn on it. Truss is failing so spectacularly right now because she seems to be uniquely suicidal and is refusing to back down to pressure to the point that shitstain Bojo actually has a credible chance of walking back into No 10 this month. But most people in power loving love staying in power. If NHS privatisation means a Labour defeat at the polls there'll be pressure to back down on it. But to even get to that point we need the Tories out.

I don't think this is true, it's true if you come out and go "muhahaha I am going to do this thing gently caress you idiots" like truss is doing, but the way the erosion of the NHS has gone under both the tories and labour has been to simply privatise it by parts, to make it more expensive to run and funnel money out of it to private interests, which eventually will produce a system that cannot function and give space for some ghoul to say "well we need to knock it all down and replace it with something else" but which does not see significant electoral backlash before that point. Everything labour are saying suggests they are entirely on board with continuing that plan. And the cost of doing that is a service that is worse funded and still means people dying when they don't have to, even before someone decides to destroy it entirely.

Labour may not let the axe fall, but they are still dragging the NHS closer to the block.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 13, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Natural 20 posted:

So I think pretty evidently, Starmer's labour would have been very unlikely to release a mini budget that announced unfunded tax cuts for the rich and unfunded energy price freezes because Starmer's labour announced its own budget that explicitly didn't have these things and funded energy price freezes via windfall taxes on energy companies.

So, just to be clear, your evidence that Labour would be better is that a person who has openly stated he will make pledges he doesn't intend to keep in order to get elected said "I'd do it like this"?

Nephthys posted:

The shadow health secretary is giving pro-privatisation interviews and they're polling 20 points ahead. Which polls are we talking about here?

zhar
May 3, 2019

sebzilla posted:

I've got a good one on Burnham saved too for the next time anyone starts to think he might be the answer to anything

pls post this so i can send it to my mum who wants him in charge.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

zhar posted:

pls post this so i can send it to my mum who wants him in charge.

https://twitter.com/josephattard02/status/1542110084356100097?t=WeBtc2qYVP2G1rwzgYWw0g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

many thanks