Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

oliveoil posted:

What's going on with Ukraine? I thought Russia was losing but suddenly everything I hear is about Ukraine being attacked?

Ukraine has been doing very well in the ground war. Russia recently launched salvos of long-range rockets against Western Ukraine, essentially as terror bombings. They haven't done that since early in the war so it was notable. Doesn't affect the material situation, which is that Russia is losing but a desperate Russia is somewhat more likely to use nuclear weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

oliveoil posted:

What's going on with Ukraine? I thought Russia was losing but suddenly everything I hear is about Ukraine being attacked?

Ukraine the country gets attacked every day by Russia since they, know you, invaded the country. If you're talking about the missile attacks on major cities like Kyiv that happened the last few days that's in retaliation for the Kerch bridge getting bombed. And missile attacks aren't anything new, it's just been a while since it's happened. And some apartment buildings get blown up in Kyiv doesn't mean Ukraine is now losing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The missile attacks serve little to no purpose militarily, the intent seems to be satisfying internal hardliners who want to "get revenge" on Ukraine whenever Ukraine achieves anything important.

Long range missiles aren't cheap, it would make more sense to hit military targets instead of playgrounds and foot bridges, obviously, but Russia appears dead set on terrorizing civilians rather than hitting Ukraine's army.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

oliveoil posted:

Unless this is something different, Russia decided to retaliate for knocking out that bridge to crimea by sending missile strikes on playgrounds, etc.

Normal piece of poo poo stuff.

E: beaten like a bunch of airborne troops trying to take an airport from an army that knows exactly when and how they're coming

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

edit: plenty of discussion on this in another thread

duodenum fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 12, 2022

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I guess now I'm wondering is how come Russia didn't do this early in the war before all their generals got killed?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

oliveoil posted:

I guess now I'm wondering is how come Russia didn't do this early in the war before all their generals got killed?

They did exactly this in the opening salvo. All it did was cement their position as tremendous pieces of poo poo who would launch cruise missiles at apartments, and not be able to handle doing much else.

It's hard to overstate how incredibly disastrous the first couple weeks was for Russia, both objectively, and their perception as a world power military. The only reason they're firing a few of these off again is that they were probably all that they manufactured in the last 6 months, and this is the best they can do for retaliation that won't cause a direct military intervention by other nations, not because they're holding back.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 12, 2022

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

oliveoil posted:

To be clear, while this pisses off a lot of people, it's not actually smart. Smart is hitting actual, y'know, military targets, or at least shared infrastructure like the Kerch bridge that's military valuable.

Russian generals don't seem to be the brightest, but they surely understand this. That they're doing it anyway is due to internal political pressure: do something that makes it seem like we can "strike back" at Ukraine.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 12, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

oliveoil posted:

Something that hasnt been mentioned is that right before the Kerch bridge was bombed, Putin appointed a new overall commander of the Ukraine war. And the guy is an absolute monster. He is the one behind the bombing campaign that completely leveled Aleppo city in Syria. Now he's doing the same in Ukraine.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lol. If Russia could win this war conventionally they would 100% be doing it tonight. Long range missiles like that are loving expensive even when the majority of the world isn’t cutting off all your trade routes. This is purely a move to appease hardliners, if he didn’t do something after his prized Kerch bridge gets slapped then how would it look to them.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
So how come he started a war he can't win again? I figure getting to his position is an IQ test, so suddenly failing the IQ test out of nowhere seems weird.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

qhat posted:

lol. If Russia could win this war conventionally they would 100% be doing it tonight. Long range missiles like that are loving expensive even when the majority of the world isn’t cutting off all your trade routes. This is purely a move to appease hardliners, if he didn’t do something after his prized Kerch bridge gets slapped then how would it look to them.
More importantly, bombing civilians doesn't win wars unless those bombs are nukes. Blasting a playground in Kyiv doesn't achieve anything militarily.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

oliveoil posted:

So how come he started a war he can't win again? I figure getting to his position is an IQ test, so suddenly failing the IQ test out of nowhere seems weird.

Lots of factors. IMO, it's probably overconfidence and a lack of any plan B; he expected a repeat of 2014: move in fast, the Ukrainians don't know what's going on, new regime installed in days, the collective West tut-tuts, sanctions some industrial parts that central American shell companies can continue to deliver, and life goes on. Unfortunately the parts of the country where that strategy easily worked (due to Russophilia) were already in open rebellion (the "people's republics" in the east) or annexed (Crimea), Ukraine has strengthened itself in the past 8 years, and the brazen, naked imperialism of it all inspired sufficient Ukrainian bravery (it was clearly a life or death situation for all of Ukraine, as we saw in Bucha, defeat means being genocided) that they were able to withstand the initial attack (and it sure was extremely dicey the first weeks). Once the Kyiv offensive stalled, however, the Russian jig is up, and since they never accounted for this being a possibility they're now stuck beyond the point of no return in a war they cannot "win".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

oliveoil posted:

No amount of intellect can overcome bad intelligence and ideological blinders, and the latter is something everyone suffers from - and someone as powerful as Putin probably suffers from both even more, due to having been super rich and powerful for a long time. Not like "Ukraine is a disunited mess incapable of putting up real resistance" wasn't true like a decade ago, so his ideas weren't pulled from the aether.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Lots of factors. IMO, it's probably overconfidence and a lack of any plan B; he expected a repeat of 2014: move in fast, the Ukrainians don't know what's going on, new regime installed in days, the collective West tut-tuts, sanctions some industrial parts that central American shell companies can continue to deliver, and life goes on. Unfortunately the parts of the country where that strategy easily worked (due to Russophilia) were already in open rebellion (the "people's republics" in the east) or annexed (Crimea), Ukraine has strengthened itself in the past 8 years, and the brazen, naked imperialism of it all inspired sufficient Ukrainian bravery (it was clearly a life or death situation for all of Ukraine, as we saw in Bucha, defeat means being genocided) that they were able to withstand the initial attack (and it sure was extremely dicey the first weeks). Once the Kyiv offensive stalled, however, the Russian jig is up, and since they never accounted for this being a possibility they're now stuck beyond the point of no return in a war they cannot "win".

That “open rebellion” was a covert annexation spearheaded by the selfsame Girkin, an FSB employee.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/james_acton32/status/1580201451384553472?s=20&t=bgUGHaf6fhrYgYMgA8m4bg

As I take it, nuclear/deterrence chat isn't yet acceptable in the other thread, but this is a good line of arguments.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

oliveoil posted:

He genuinely thought he could, but a number of factors changed the outcome dramatically

• Belarus could not actually be used to the extent wanted (IIRC)
  • Five Eyes intelligence told Ukraine exactly when and where things would be happening, meaning that actions that should have been surgical decapitation strikes (dropping paratroopers into Kyiv's airport to use as an air bridge to occupy the capital immediately) failed abysmally, and defenders knew exactly where to set up to do the most damage in the least amount of time
  • No one was willing to tell him about the actual state of the Russian military in general, rather than of handpicked units that could be afforded the actual functional gear, so there was a false confidence in the readiness of Russian troops (as massive corruption effectively gutted even maintenance of the equipment they had, let alone actual modernization) combined with
  • Regular pants-on-head stupid decisions that every army can make, like a secure communications network that... works over cell towers? And doesn't really work? Leading to the ability to pinpoint commanding locations by regional voice phone calls made on the cell networks that Ukraine was still controlling.
  • The fact that this was meant to be a "surprise" attack meant that there was very little coordination or preparation; troops didn't even know that they were in an invasion force until they were already in Ukraine!
  • The Ukrainian military has improved since Russia waltzed in 8 years ago, while Russia's has stagnated
  • Overconfidence from prior fait accomplis in Ukrainian provinces
  • A very, very motivated US Government who is continuously overdosing on schadenfreude about this situation after 4 years of Trump effectively letting Putin neuter American policy power (though I suppose that's more down the line).

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Volmarias posted:

He genuinely thought he could, but a number of factors changed the outcome dramatically

• A very, very motivated US Government who is continuously overdosing on schadenfreude about this situation after 4 years of Trump effectively letting Putin neuter American policy power (though I suppose that's more down the line).

I would add to this a very surprisingly unified EU/Europe willing to sanction Russia and Putin's friends, and pour war material into Ukraine to help them fend off the genocidal Russians.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think the main mistake was much more fundamental. He bought into his own propaganda that Ukraine wasn't real and everyone actually wanted to be russian and was just being held hostage by the nazi Zelenskyy.

The whole plan was built around this assumption, which means you didn't really need a functional army, just do a quick show of force, drive in in parade uniforms, and watch as everyone puts down their weapons and welcomes the dear leader. There was no plan B because they had to be right and would succeed by definition, because russia stronk.

If they had a real idea what this would look like, they almost certainly wouldn't have started it.

E: as for the nuclear stuff. Sure we need to keep it in mind but the pussyfooting because of it has been ridiculous. Giving 80km missiles is ok but oh lordy what would putin do about 300km missiles? :jerkbag:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 12, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the main mistake was much more fundamental. He bought into his own propaganda that Ukraine wasn't real and everyone actually wanted to be russian and was just being held hostage by the nazi Zelenskyy.

The whole plan was built around this assumption, which means you didn't really need a functional army, just do a quick show of force, drive in in parade uniforms, and watch as everyone puts down their weapons and welcomes the dear leader. There was no plan B because they had to be right and would succeed by definition, because russia stronk.

If they had a real idea what this would look like, they almost certainly wouldn't have started it.

This is sort of what happened? Russia annexed parts of Ukraine when they got rid of Yanukovich, because those parts "wanted" to be "free" of western tyranny etc, but those were the parts that were already far more favorably inclined to Russia.

I think this was probably planned on the expectation that Trump would successfully remain in power, effectively neutering most of Nato's military power, and allowing for a strike in early 2021, but then Covid happened.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Volmarias posted:

I think this was probably planned on the expectation that Trump would successfully remain in power, effectively neutering most of Nato's military power, and allowing for a strike in early 2021, but then Covid happened.

I am sure that if he'd invaded while Trump was still in charge, Ukraine would have got 0% support and the US would have done everything they can to support Russia in their "internal dispute".

Putin's new plan is probably to hold as much as he can till Trump can regain power.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Comstar posted:

I am sure that if he'd invaded while Trump was still in charge, Ukraine would have got 0% support and the US would have done everything they can to support Russia in their "internal dispute".

Putin's new plan is probably to hold as much as he can till Trump can regain power.

Trump was a hawk

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Not on Russia he wasn't.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've honestly no idea what Trump would've done. There's IMO a 50/50 split between throwing Ukraine under the bus and initiating a nuclear first strike

Volmarias posted:

This is sort of what happened? Russia annexed parts of Ukraine when they got rid of Yanukovich, because those parts "wanted" to be "free" of western tyranny etc, but those were the parts that were already far more favorably inclined to Russia.

Well kind of... 8 years ago. There was pretty fierce resistance in the Donbas only limited by the sad state of Ukrainian military at the time (which was a huuuge security concern to russia, I'm sure). This also massively pissed off everyone else not "liberated" by Girkin and his merry band of criminals.

The russians that were actually paying attention and not drinking their koolaid knew this:

quote:

Let's start with the last one. To assert that no one in Ukraine will defend the regime means, in practice, complete ignorance of the military-political situation and the mood of the broad masses of the people in the neighboring state. Moreover, the degree of hatred (which, as you know, is the most effective fuel for armed struggle) in the neighboring republic in relation to Moscow is frankly underestimated. No one will meet the Russian army with bread, salt and flowers in Ukraine.

It seems that the events in the south-east of Ukraine in 2014 did not teach anyone anything. Then, after all, they also expected that the entire left-bank Ukraine would turn into Novorossia in a single impulse and in a matter of seconds. We have already drawn maps, figured out the personnel of future administrations of cities and regions, and developed state flags.

But even the Russian-speaking population of this part of Ukraine (including such cities as Kharkov, Zaporozhye, Dnepropetrovsk, Mariupol) did not support such plans in their vast majority. The project "Novorossiya" was somehow imperceptibly blown away and quietly died.
https://nvo-ng-ru.translate.goog/realty/2022-02-03/3_1175_donbass.html?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

FishBulbia posted:

Trump was a hawk

Trump is infamous for having close ties to Moscow. He was also brazenly subservient and openly obsequious to Putin in person.
Trump attempted to blackmail Zelensky at one point.

Ukraine would have been worse off under a continued Trump presidency. That's not in doubt

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Trump is infamous for having close ties to Moscow. He was also brazenly subservient and openly obsequious to Putin in person.
Trump attempted to blackmail Zelensky at one point.

Ukraine would have been worse off under a continued Trump presidency. That's not in doubt

Those Russian wishes like ... NATO militaries becoming larger?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

We're going to get a taste of how Trump would have allowed Russia to crush Ukraine when the Republicans take the house and the funding dries up. They can't let a major benefactor (and holder of devastating kompromat) go down while their paws are on the levers of power.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

duodenum posted:

We're going to get a taste of how Trump would have allowed Russia to crush Ukraine when the Republicans take the house and the funding dries up. They can't let a major benefactor (and holder of devastating kompromat) go down while their paws are on the levers of power.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/R__Politik/status/1580542926177726465?s=20&t=FQokRDzzJ8Gvmn5XCLRzIA

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

Those Russian wishes like ... NATO militaries becoming larger?

I'm not sure what you're saying here but Finland and Sweden joining NATO (which isn't even a done deal yet) is something that only happened in the last year after Russia invaded Ukraine. So during the Biden administration obviously.

NATO in the Trump years was at its lowest point since the cold war ended. Trump had even threatened to pull out of the alliance. That's just one of the many ways he was a gift to Russia.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I've honestly no idea what Trump would've done. There's IMO a 50/50 split between throwing Ukraine under the bus and initiating a nuclear first strike
This is well stated, ridiculous as it is. Anyone who supported that ashhole really outed themselves as either a dipshit or a dumbass.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying here but Finland and Sweden joining NATO (which isn't even a done deal yet) is something that only happened in the last year after Russia invaded Ukraine. So during the Biden administration obviously.

NATO in the Trump years was at its lowest point since the cold war ended. Trump had even threatened to pull out of the alliance. That's just one of the many ways he was a gift to Russia.

Pretty sure FishBulbia was referring more to Trump making a show of demanding that the European NATO partners pony up more defense spending. In my opinion this is less about him actually wanting them to do this than him sowing division and making a pretext for the U.S. to exit NATO entirely.

Now Putin himself has single handedly taken care of the issue of European countries increasing their defense spending. The wolf has shown its teeth.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Charliegrs posted:

I think the point was that Trump was threatening to pull the US out of NATO if the rest of NATO didn't increase military spending, so it wasn't just the US plus a bunch of free-loaders.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think the point was that Trump was threatening to pull the US out of NATO if the rest of NATO didn't increase military spending, so it wasn't just the US plus a bunch of free-loaders.

He specifically praised Polish militarism. Trump is just a moron, who thought NATO states were freeloading with American military protection in order to fund socialist policies (an american conservative talking point). 100,000k in facebook ads does not make someone a Russian agent.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yes, let's all just ignore the buddying up with strongmen and the praise he offered Putin on the start of the invasion this year.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Cicero posted:

Yes, let's all just ignore the buddying up with strongmen and the praise he offered Putin on the start of the invasion this year.

Again, a moron. Most of the russiagate stuff has proven hollow. They wanted him to win as they thought he would weaken NATO, namely because he's a moron.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 13, 2022

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

He's a moron that likes authoritarian strongmen, which is why people believe he wouldn't have come down nearly as hard on Russia as Biden has.

I don't think he's a literal Russian agent, but he'd still probably be much softer on Russia.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cicero posted:

He's a moron that likes authoritarian strongmen, which is why people believe he wouldn't have come down nearly as hard on Russia as Biden has.

I don't think he's a literal Russian agent, but he'd still probably be much softer on Russia.

Since this is the less than serious war thread: Okay, you've got a point with the strong men, but Trump's also infamous for calling McCain a "loser", and how Trump likes "people who don't get captured" or whatever. You know, since McCain was a POW. Now, after about a month, Zelenskyy was both alive and active, and Vlad was getting his poo poo kicked in by the courageous Ukrainians. Who would win in the pinball death match inside Trump's head, the :sad: strong-man loser Vlad who won't even ride bears anymore, or that handsome bearded fella Zie Lentsky who looks buff in his tee-shirt?

Of course the real answer is :pisstape:

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I really think Trump is just a being created by the id of conservative boomers. That "northern europe only has a higher standard of living by mooching off American military protection" has been a go to point forever. He does have some appreciation of people being "strong" (read assholes) but I don't think that would be enough, especially if he got told by his advisers that supporting Zelensky was a cool macho thing. Only about 1/4 of Republicans are anti-Ukraine. It's essentially bipartisan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Most GOP reps are supportive of Ukraine, but IIRC it's the ardent Trumpista wing that's soft on Russia.