Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

sugar free jazz posted:

actually, i do, regularly

Oh you're one of those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Drunk aunt calling is very weird, but I think everything before that isn't too unreasonable. I can understand wanting to avoid potential drama (especially given all the wedding/family poo poo talked about here), and I could definitely see a reasonable expectation that "you can't go to my wedding because you're a known kleptomaniac" would not go over as smoothly as the question assumes.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Oh you're one of those people.

They’re posh, you mean? :v:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Quackles posted:

They’re posh, you mean? :v:

They're bollocks as the Brits would say.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for uninviting my sister to my wedding party after she said she wouldn't come to the ceremony?

quote:

Me (F) and my sister, Kate, haver* different religions. I am Catholic and she is evangelical.

We have our ideological differences, but we have a very close relationship, after all it was just me, her and my mother our entire childhood/adolescence.

I was proposed 3 months ago, I decided I would have MoH my sister and no bridesmaid, my fiance agrees and only chose his best friend.

There will be a religious ceremony at the church and then we will go to a venue here the party will take place. For me, it's important to get married in church. It Will happened 4 months.

When I asked Kate to be my MoH and she was super excited. But during the preparations, when she learned that I would have a ceremony at the church, she seemed uncomfortable, but I didn't question it (I waited for her to speak).

Well, last week, she called me for coffee and said that she didn't feel comfortable going to a Catholic church because of her religion, so she couldn't attend the religious ceremony, but she would love to go to the party, participate in everything, she just wouldn't go at the ceremony.

I got really upset and said "This is an important moment for me, much more than the party and I wish all the people I love were there, including you".

She replied, "I don't feel comfortable going into churches other than my own, but I will participate in everything else."

Me: "I don't feel comfortable in other churches either, but I went with the greatest honor to your wedding, because I know it was important to you as well as for me"

She still stuck to the decision and I felt so tired sad that I just got up and walked away.

After a lot of thinking, I called her and said "If one of the people I love the most, can't stay 2 hours at the most important moment for me, even though I asked it to be there for me and not for our religion... then I think You shouldn't come to my wedding. If you can't make a concession for me, then I shouldn't make one for you."

Well, she keeps texting me saying that I'm overreacting and that I should respect her stance. She and my mother are pressuring me to go back on my decision.

I'm just really upset, it's something extremely important to me, I would like to have her be there and on my side, but she doesn't want to and I felt betrayed, because I did it for her and she didn't for me.

AITA?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for uninviting my sister to my wedding party after she said she wouldn't come to the ceremony?
the filthy papists and their treacherous weddings

seriously like the sister's not even part of a "no child molestors" church

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kurieg posted:

AITA for not going to aunt’s family party when she lied about why I wasn’t allowed at her wedding?

I feel like everything past the first paragraph is unnecessary, hell maybe even the first sentence.

Kleptomania is in the DSM so that means there's both a diagnosis and treatment options at that level, like therapy and medication so....

quote:

No I was diagnosed at the time I was caught from the police (or a bit after since evaluations and etc). Didn’t mention anything about trying to fix it as I felt it wasn’t relevant but I was in therapy for a bit but it didn’t really work and have now been trying to fix stuff myself

quote:

Hi, sorry for not specifying these things I didn’t think it was relevant. No, I’m not in therapy anymore (I’m still trying to quit it but therapy didn’t help) but I went there for 2 months after I was caught. Yes I have apologised and tried to fix me and my aunt’s relationship a lot over this past year. And yes all of the stuff from that specific instance was given back

el oh loving el "yes I have this medical condition that everyone should accept and not make it a taboo issue, no I am not getting help with it I tried for two months and then gave up"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Demanding to be told the real reason you’re not allowed somewhere is real “addict refusing treatment” behavior in the first place so that update doesn’t surprise me at all. And no, I’m not excusing the aunt drunk dialing her nephew, that’s hosed up.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Olive Branch posted:

Does anyone have that (I believe it was posted by a goon) story about the OP forcing his girlfriend to open his relationship to sleep with a coworker, her finally relenting after tears, and then discovering the coworker who he thought was flirtatious was in fact gay and just being nice to him? Cherry on top was his still-then GF sleeping with a gym dude who made her very happy in bed, and the OP now wanting to close the relationship again?

I don't know about that specific one, but I do know that "person who opened the relationship regrets it" is a time-honored favorite of this thread, in the same vein as loving TREE LAW.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah I feel kinda bad because he's not that old and managing mental health sucks, but hopefully he'll learn he's gotta actually, like, make an effort. Drunk dialed by your aunt is messed up though.

Here's a low-stakes one!

AITA for asking my sister to shave her long armpit hair or wear a shirt that covers them while attending an important professional career networking event?

quote:

I've never asked her to change, and I am typically very supportive of her choices, but I feel like the reciprocal isn't there with my choice to pursue a competitive field. I will be attending a really important professional event, and she will be coming out with us in the evenings. I feel like because she is my sister, whatever she does will be associated with me, and I know not everyone will find her long armpit hair professional. If I were in a career position where I just didn't care what others thought, then I wouldn't have said anything, and I never have up to this point, but this is a huge networking event for me. I know she is in a stage where she is trying to find herself and doesn't care what others think, whereas I do, so I just want an outside opinion before it escalates. TIA.

I've been trying to figure out how I feel about this one. Like, obviously sister should do whatever the hell she wants with her body hair, but I don't think I've ever had to think through whether underarm hair is "unprofessional". I guess it is, but I can't really quantify why? I feel like it just doesn't come up for people who dress in a more masculine-presenting way, because tank tops for them are not "professional" attire, but for someone who generally dresses feminine, professional dress could still include like sleeveless dresses or blouses.

Also I mean there's the whole other argument of professional dress being a constantly moving goal post anyway but that kind of invalidates the whole thing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Soylent Pudding posted:

You don't get to go to the party if you don't sit through the boring ceremony, you idiot. I thought everyone knew that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think the argument of "I went to your wedding ceremony despite my personal discomfort and the fact that you aren't willing to do that for me hurts" is at least somewhat valid. If she wasn't willing to do that herself then she shouldn't have asked it of them.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Yeah I feel kinda bad because he's not that old and managing mental health sucks, but hopefully he'll learn he's gotta actually, like, make an effort. Drunk dialed by your aunt is messed up though.

Here's a low-stakes one!

AITA for asking my sister to shave her long armpit hair or wear a shirt that covers them while attending an important professional career networking event?

I've been trying to figure out how I feel about this one. Like, obviously sister should do whatever the hell she wants with her body hair, but I don't think I've ever had to think through whether underarm hair is "unprofessional". I guess it is, but I can't really quantify why? I feel like it just doesn't come up for people who dress in a more masculine-presenting way, because tank tops for them are not "professional" attire, but for someone who generally dresses feminine, professional dress could still include like sleeveless dresses or blouses.

Also I mean there's the whole other argument of professional dress being a constantly moving goal post anyway but that kind of invalidates the whole thing.

"Professional networking event" is deliberately vague. Their sibling happens to be there, and bare armpits are involved? This has to be something like a child's pool party that the kid of the assistant manager of a Domino's franchise was invited to.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Here's a low-stakes one!

Something doesn't make sense here. Is he bringing the sister as a +1? Because if that's the case he can just ... not. Is the sister there as a professional in her own right? Then who cares, no one is going to be judging OP for her appearance (if anyone even cares to judge in the first place).

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

They're bollocks as the Brits would say.

The Dog's Bollocks actually

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Something doesn't make sense here. Is he bringing the sister as a +1? Because if that's the case he can just ... not. Is the sister there as a professional in her own right? Then who cares, no one is going to be judging OP for her appearance (if anyone even cares to judge in the first place).

Yeah, a lot of people brought that up in the comments, and the answer is something like "The sister is on vacation and wants to do things around the city". Which people then correctly pointed out that she could probably find something more fun to do than a networking event. So perhaps the entire conflict is a non-starter, but I suppose a decent amount of AITA posts fit that demographic.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Defiance Industries posted:

You don't get to go to the party if you don't sit through the boring ceremony, you idiot. I thought everyone knew that.
Sis is absolutely going to crash the reception and count on the family to :decorum: the bride into letting her stay. OP should get ready for that.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
She's got armpit hair that goes ALL THE WAY UP!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ponzicar posted:

"Professional networking event" is deliberately vague. Their sibling happens to be there, and bare armpits are involved? This has to be something like a child's pool party that the kid of the assistant manager of a Domino's franchise was invited to.

It's probably a wedding of a colleague and the sister's white dress shows off her armpits

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

i dont think professional attire means exposing one's armpits unless you're like a personal trainer or something, and then it doesn't matter

personally i think they can meet in the middle and sister can simply braid her armpit hair to create a tidier appearance

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The phrase "long armpit hair" bugs me, it makes it sound like it goes down to waist-level or something.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Malcolm Excellent posted:

She's got armpit hair that goes ALL THE WAY UP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7m_QaXkryY

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

therobit posted:

I am not understanding why OP thinks that bed sex is inherently less noisy than living room sex.

I think the OP is angry about them having sex in a public space, not the noise.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Captain Hygiene posted:

The phrase "long armpit hair" bugs me, it makes it sound like it goes down to waist-level or something.

When I lived in Eugene Oregon I saw some lady with armpit hair you could braid. Even if you're not going to shave ffs at least trim it at that point, male or female, doesn't matter, that's just nasty.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for not handmaking cream cheese?

I’m working two full time jobs

This is probably a petty question but are they actually working 80+ hours a week? Or do they just mean "working two jobs"?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

This is probably a petty question but are they actually working 80+ hours a week? Or do they just mean "working two jobs"?

Retail (and food service) notoriously schedule people for 29 hours or less to avoid classifying the employees as full-time with the additional benefits/protections that entails. Two 29 hour jobs are still basically full-time, especially with the difficulty of juggling often inconsistent schedules - I wouldn't hold them to the technical definition.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 13, 2022

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Guildenstern Mother posted:

When I lived in Eugene Oregon I saw some lady with armpit hair you could braid. Even if you're not going to shave ffs at least trim it at that point, male or female, doesn't matter, that's just nasty.

you could weave it into a little basket to hold your keys and phone

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
AITA for expecting my gf to help me when I did something she disapproved of?
I bought a second hand motorcycle from a friend and began using it to get my motorcycle licence. My gf was very against it and showed me statistics of injury rates from motorcycles and how stupid it was that I was choosing to take the risk I’ve always wanted to get one and I ignored her because she is constantly nagging about it being dangerous. We got into multiple fights over it and I was sick and tired of her complaining. Last month I got into an accident (no car only me) where I swerved into a metal fence and broke my collar bone and fractured my wrist. I got myself to emergency and they patched me up. I also got multiple cuts on my face and I needed stitches. I don’t have the best insurance so after insurance I have a $3700 bill.

I can’t afford this and even if I sell the motorcycle I still have over a grand in the bill. I’m trying to get the bill reduced now but it will take a while. Beyond that I also can’t cook or do basic things like put on the brace to my shoulder or lift things. I’ve asked my gf to help me when she comes over to help me and she’s just coldly told me if she helps me I’ll just get back on my motorcycle (which I’ve already told her I’m trying to sell) and I’ve called her cold and bitchy for refusing to help me with anything because she calls my injuries self inflicted. She seems like she wouldn’t help me if I got sick because she isn’t the least bit sympathetic I got hurt but AITA for expecting any help after she warned me it was dangerous?

Top comment:

I had this book growing up, King Rollo and the Tree. King Rollo saw this huge tree outside his castle, and wanted to climb it. Everyone told him he'd fall, that he'd tear his coat and bump his head... but King Rollo climbed the tree anyway. And he fell, and bumped his head and tore his coat, just like everyone said he would.

she calls my injuries self inflicted

Bro, you crashed your motorcycle into a stationary object, who do you think inflicted your injuries?

She seems like she wouldn’t help me if I got sick
Has she expressly warned you that your actions are likely to cause you to become sick? I don't see how this is comparable at all.
YTA, King Rollo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

olylifter posted:

she calls my injuries self inflicted

Bro, you crashed your motorcycle into a stationary object, who do you think inflicted your injuries?

The fence! Did you even read the story?!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

That one is interesting because she's already over there helping him. So "not helping" likely means she's not giving him money to pay the hospital bill.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for refusing to give my girlfriend a ring when I proposed?

quote:

I (31, M)have been dating my girlfriend (27,F) for three years. She is a great woman and I just know she is the one, so I recently proposed. I bought her a beautiful diamond ring that she had admired several times.

But when I proposed she took one look at the ring and asked me where ‘the real ring’ is.

I asked what she meant, and she said ‘your mom ring’.

My mom passed away just before I met my girlfriend. She was cremated, and I had her ashes turned into a  diamond and placed the diamond on my mom’s wedding ring that had lost its diamond. The ring has no financial value but it means everything to me.

Turns out that is the ring she expected me to propose with. Her rationale is giving her the most important item to me is the ultimate show of commitment, and refusing to give it to her means I am not fully into the marriage. She said she can’t accept my proposal unless its with that ring. I honestly can’t part with it, but my friends think if she means as much to me as I say she does, and I intend to spend the rest of my life with her, what’s the big deal, the ring will still be around me anyway.  AITA?

It doesn’t count if you’re not proposing with the corpse of your mom dude!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Fine, but you better go kill me a mom and make a new diamond. I don't care which mom, I just need a dead one on my finger.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for going off at my brother because he said he won't attend my wedding ?

quote:

Using a TA and background info at the beginning

I'm (24m) engaged to Jen (27f). We've been together 3 years and she's amazing, but she has a bit of a rocky past. Her friend group in college were bullies, and they especially went after Liz (26f). I knew Liz because my dad was friends with hers, we would talk sometimes but we weren't close. Liz is friends with my half brother John (31m) now.

John knows about the bullying, he can't stand Jen because of that.

Jen obviously is remorseful, they was young and acted out of jealousy. We've all tried to get John to understand but he doesn't want to hear anything, so we've just let it be.

The invitations for our wedding went out recently and John rsvp'd no. I talked to him, he said he won't be attending because of the issue with Jen. I'll admit I went off a little bit. I said this was years ago and it's all water under the bridge now, he hasn't even tried to get to know Jen and he's creating issues within his own family over a 'friend'. Jen was also hurt that John rsvp'd no.

John got pretty mad at me for going off at him, so AITA?

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Mx. posted:

AITA for going off at my brother because he said he won't attend my wedding

Her friend group in college were bullies

college? gtfo with that poo poo. I see no mention of jen talking to liz...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nashona posted:

Comments say they tried to talk to her and DM her and Liz wasn't having any of it.

quote:

OP has offered the following explanation for why they think they might be the rear end in a top hat:

I went off at my brother and got mad because he rsvp'd no for my wedding for essentially no reason. I might've overreacted and not understanding of him, making me the AH.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 14, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

nashona posted:

Could be secondary school. It's not unusual for British, Australian and NZ secondary schools to be called "colleges."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:siren: A new Parent Of The Year contender has appeared! :siren:

AITA for stopping my daughter from studying as a punishment?

quote:

I have a daughter(16) who is unlike any teenager I've ever seen. The problem is she is extremely rude. I've tried many things to fix this but nothing works. I never had these problems with my other kids. With them I could just say no electronics for a week or ground them or something like that and it would be enough but not for her. She doesn't care if I take away her electronics she just picks up a few novels and starts reading them. She will actually be glad if I ground her and use it as an excuse to avoid all our family gatherings like "oh we are going to aunties home tonight? I wish I could come but I'm grounded" and then happily goes to her room

The only thing that she likes is studying. Like she will spend hours studying. Last night when she was talking to her mom she was being rude and very sarcastic and as my last option I told her that she is not allowed to study until I decide she has learned how to talk to her mom.

She started to yell at us and called me an rear end in a top hat and said it's not fair. Then she called my brother who called us and told us we are assholes for not allowing her to study but she gave us no other choice

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

edogawa rando posted:

Could be secondary school. It's not unusual for British, Australian and NZ secondary schools to be called "colleges."

in australia, college is only in one state and one territory and it's only for the final two, non-mandatory, years of high school

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Hygiene posted:

:siren: A new Parent Of The Year contender has appeared! :siren:

AITA for stopping my daughter from studying as a punishment?

What are the odds this guy is trying to punish his daughter into not being autistic anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What the gently caress is that supposed to mean?