Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

HelleSpud posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/nrnf5j/part_1_of_2_an_absolute_epic_entitled_ahole_gets/

Reddit person's story about their friend who walked off a Grade 1 listed property to spite the contractor, knowing he was one of only seven people who could do the restoration.

Epic story, awesome schadenfreude - sad ending for the reporter, though (unrelated to the story.)

Tunicate posted:

They call it a copycat crime.

:dadjoke:
:golfclap:

edit:

It's almost as if someone should make mounts designed for hanging fans on sloped ceilings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Epic story, awesome schadenfreude - sad ending for the reporter, though (unrelated to the story.)

:dadjoke:
:golfclap:

edit:

It's almost as if someone should make mounts designed for hanging fans on sloped ceilings.

Which would be scarier, the current install, or an install that had the fan blades at waist level?

We all know that if the installer did the drop fan, it wouldn’t be low enough to spin freely. But the fan being low enough that it completely takes up a large chunk of walkable space in that “room” is also kinda funny.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Orvin posted:

Which would be scarier, the current install, or an install that had the fan blades at waist level?

We all know that if the installer did the drop fan, it wouldn’t be low enough to spin freely. But the fan being low enough that it completely takes up a large chunk of walkable space in that “room” is also kinda funny.

No, see, you just frame out some cut-outs in the walls for the blades to spin through.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Arrath posted:

No, see, you just frame out some cut-outs in the walls for the blades to spin through.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arrath posted:

why, you could cool two rooms at the same time!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
like those fireplaces that open through a wall (but better)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Orvin posted:

We all know the real answer is “use a floor-standing enclosed fan” or similar, but

Arrath posted:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Arrath posted:

Sorry, I didn’t have enough concussions to think like a flipper to come up with that idea. It is obviously the right idea, except for the whole frame out. Are you sure it isn’t just “tastefully cut out some drywall”?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Maybe a dormer would be a useful option. A wall mounted fan would be easier. I guess that's what they have now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

Maybe a dormer would be a useful option. A wall mounted fan would be easier. I guess that's what they have now.

Well, yes, but.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm filled with the overwhelming urge to go knuckle knock that to find out whether its foam, plaster, or formed concrete.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Arrath posted:

I'm filled with the overwhelming urge to go knuckle knock that to find out whether its foam, plaster, or formed concrete.

foam is my guess

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kinda want to climb up a column. Even better if it'll break under my weight.

America
Apr 26, 2017

Almost entirely useless for providing either shade or rain shelter, that's impressive.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My mind refused to believe that is real. I figured it had to be a photoshop. Then I noticed the reflection in the car. Then my brain started hurting.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

It looks like it used to be under that window. Did they move it? Why?

comedy option, that window is their daughter's room, and someone was climbing in or out of the window

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It needs the torso of an inflatable clown on the porch roof.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm the arched top of that one window, the curve defying every other line of the house being straight. That window says it all, really: whoever designed that looked at the giant stilts, the faux riverstone facing, the steep angled roof, the square windows, and they said "you know what? This window, the one in permanent shade, it needs a bit more. Just something to zshuzsh it up a bit." And the contractor sighed a heavy sigh, clicked on a different window design and dragged it onto the house, and said "that'll be an extra $850" and the buyer said perfect.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Orvin posted:

My mind refused to believe that is real. I figured it had to be a photoshop. Then I noticed the reflection in the car. Then my brain started hurting.

Top tier post/av combo.

WTF are people thinking? Even on paper, that can't look good

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Better to cut off the nose to spite the face than pay a contractor for that face lift.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why do I find the drain pipe so funny.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Splicer posted:

Why do I find the drain pipe so funny.

it looks as though it's

sneaking away. behind the tree.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Better to cut off the nose to spite the face than pay a contractor for that face lift.

Yeah, but at least be artistic about it, like how Bertel Thorvaldsen dealt with being stiffed on his commission fee for the Lion of Luzern by Carl Pfyffer von Altishofen

oink

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Hello everyone I am coming from you live from my horrible back room that is falling off the rest of the house. I came home early with a migraine so I've been in here all day listening to the house settling noises. It rained last night so things have been moving a lot, and a little chunk of drywall just fell out of this crack! Like maybe half the size of my little finger nail? Still not good.

I wanted to install a hook into that stud where the TV mount used to be so I can hang up that giant 12 foot long philodendron but maybe that's not a good idea.

Also need my migraines to go away so I can go to work and earn money to fix this room.

edit: here's the same crack from Aug 28th.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 13, 2022

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Charge the lines, create the vortex, break the barrier

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

PainterofCrap posted:

Yeah, but at least be artistic about it, like how Bertel Thorvaldsen dealt with being stiffed on his commission fee for the Lion of Luzern by Carl Pfyffer von Altishofen

oink

Care to summarize what Bertel did? I've tried skimming this article, but it is very verbose and I'm not an art historian

https://arkivet.thorvaldsensmuseum.dk/articles/print/dying-lion-the-lucerne-lion

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Hello everyone I am coming from you live from my horrible back room that is falling off the rest of the house. I came home early with a migraine so I've been in here all day listening to the house settling noises. It rained last night so things have been moving a lot, and a little chunk of drywall just fell out of this crack! Like maybe half the size of my little finger nail? Still not good.

I wanted to install a hook into that stud where the TV mount used to be so I can hang up that giant 12 foot long philodendron but maybe that's not a good idea.

Also need my migraines to go away so I can go to work and earn money to fix this room.

https://youtu.be/YpMDlq8Gq7E?t=02m40s

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Goon learns one weird trick to turn one house into two!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

MetaJew posted:

Care to summarize what Bertel did? I've tried skimming this article, but it is very verbose and I'm not an art historian

https://arkivet.thorvaldsensmuseum.dk/articles/print/dying-lion-the-lucerne-lion

He shaped the recess around the lion to look like a pig.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Computer viking posted:

He shaped the recess around the lion to look like a pig.

I've seen pigs before, this ain't it

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It is, though. Snout's long, like a boar's

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The gutter that runs *towards* the house is a nice touch.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

MetaJew posted:

https://random-times.com/2018/12/05/the-pig-on-the-lion-of-lucerne-the-invisible-joke-of-an-unpaid-sculptor/

Good explanation of the story.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

The gutter that runs *towards* the house is a nice touch.

They didn't want to sully their glorious 2 story tall faux stone pillars with an ugly downspout!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
is this bad it feels bad

https://i.imgur.com/SZHEUP9.gifv

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Choosing a construction technique specifically to make a clickbait video is a new one for me

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

that's a good way to make sure the steps line up flush with the porch in the right place. the square frame as is has no capacity to survive shear -- watch that fucker wobble as they're gluing parts together

I'm hoping they'll hammer proper support in place once footing is cast

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I feel like i need to be spoonfed why construction sucks most of the time. maybe its bad because the weight is on the much smaller jutted piece of wood? which is more likely to fail because its not supported by anything below?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I feel like i need to be spoonfed why construction sucks most of the time. maybe its bad because the weight is on the much smaller jutted piece of wood? which is more likely to fail because its not supported by anything below?

grab a cardboard box

open the top and the bottom, then place it on its side, like its a tunnel

does the box stay up?

the stairs are fine if they're going to be reinforced later, but in the current state that is no good. the thing that makes me wonder if they're going to be reinforcing it later and they're just measuring everything out for now is the fact that the footing hasn't been poured yet