Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Sinners and Saints, Superhot, Blade and Sourcery, Beat Saber.

I am just out of luck. I figured I would sell it and pickup a Steam Deck so I don't feel too much like a loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lemming posted:

What are you trying to play? While I think it's possible to acclimate to some degree, I'd agree that it's by and large only possible to some amount and it's not worth kicking yourself in the teeth over it, but also there are some things that are much, much worse than others
Yeah I get bad motion sickness in general and there are a lot of games I straight up can’t play on here, but there are lots I can

V- agreed, if superhot is making you sick then this definitely isn’t the system for you

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 12, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I think Superhot is one of the least-motion-sickness-inducing games though, because of how it maps perfectly to your movement.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

loving Moron posted:

I am just out of luck. I figured I would sell it and pickup a Steam Deck so I don't feel too much like a loser.

I would've thought that Superhot and Beat Saber would've been better, but Saints and Sinners and even more so Blade and Sorcery are really quite bad for motion sickness. But either way, it's not like you're more cool for not getting motion sick or whatever, it sounds like it's just not for you which is totally fine

Private Speech posted:

I think Superhot is one of the least-motion-sickness-inducing games though, because of how it maps perfectly to your movement.

If I had to suspect something, it'd be a lower framerate combined with all the bright white environments. You can notice more flicker on the screen when that happens, even at a relatively higher framerate, which some people are more sensitive to and can make you feel sick

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Idk what the refresh rate is on VRChat on Quest 2 but holy crap I tried it out on a lark because I wanted to see how this girl I was talking with saw the world/also check that my quest avatar looked correct, and I hopped into VRChat and moved around a bit and couldn't handle more than about 10 mins of it before getting ill. PCVR I can hang out for 10+ hours but specifically vrchat on the quest makes me ill. I've played other quest VR games and been fine but I guess it's just VRChat's wonderfully poor performance on quest that was a ticket to vomit town.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

loving Moron posted:

If you can't beat saber.

There isn't much hope.

Like, Not trying to be a dick but ya.

FWIW I know a guy with inner ear problems who can't VR. Similar poo poo. Just gets insta sick.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

orange juche posted:

Idk what the refresh rate is on VRChat on Quest 2 but holy crap I tried it out on a lark because I wanted to see how this girl I was talking with saw the world/also check that my quest avatar looked correct, and I hopped into VRChat and moved around a bit and couldn't handle more than about 10 mins of it before getting ill. PCVR I can hang out for 10+ hours but specifically vrchat on the quest makes me ill. I've played other quest VR games and been fine but I guess it's just VRChat's wonderfully poor performance on quest that was a ticket to vomit town.

Better to throw up on her in vrchat instead of irl.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Hey, the controllers aren't worthless after all!

https://twitter.com/boztank/status/1580320696550363136?t=qcaXeV17V3xE6V1egQNtGg&s=19

Also I hear the battery life of the headset is greatly extended by turning off all the face tracking/eye tracking stuff.

I'm still not crazy about it at that price point, but it's starting to look like less of a complete trainwreck of a device at least.

TIP fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 13, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

TIP posted:

Hey, the controllers aren't worthless after all!

https://twitter.com/boztank/status/1580320696550363136?t=qcaXeV17V3xE6V1egQNtGg&s=19

Also I hear the battery life of the headset is greatly extended by turning off all the face tracking/eye tracking stuff.

I'm still not crazy about it at that price point, but it's starting to look like less of a complete trainwreck of a device at least.

To use it you must disable any reason to buy it?
Gotcha

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Catching up on the Meta Connect Keynote and goddamn that's a whole lot of loving nothing aside from the headset itself across 80 minutes.

My favourite bit is the big spiel about "moving away from app-centric development to social development" and then just jumping back to "APPS APPS APPS" without missing a beat. I'm prefacing here by fully acknowledging that there are great uses for professional VR in design and prototyping, however, the language used here is very transparently coached towards saying "VR works in other fields with specific applications for it, it'll be great in your corporate office to increase ~productivity~". Which, again, no. And lol.

There's some big kickstarter pitch energy to this in general where they promise it'll be good, just hang in there, even though we have nothing to show yet!! (*FAILED TO MEET GOAL*)

Also what feels some real "right hand not talking to the left" at work when they go over some bullshot animation with avatars just to completely invalidate it with the new full human avatars afterwards :allears:.

"Legs are hard, which is why other virtual reality systems don't have them, either". Zuck says, about *checks timestamp* 45 minutes after mentioning VRChat existing. :lol:. At least it looks like it might actually be the new avatars this time instead of bullshot animation given the janky framerate. Also kids you'll be able to buy and wear BRANDED CLOTHES for your avatar in our store! Isn't that exciting??

The Road Ahead section has some interesting tech, but none of it's actually FOR Meta it's just the "...I made this!" meme writ large and ~MaYBe~ it'll get integrated in VR/AR someday. Possibly. Isn't the future cool, investors/kids? Though lol at the "photorealistic avatars are cool and good" bit said right at the audience by their scientist. Listen to the scientist, consumers, what he says MUST be true!! :pseudo: Though the Instant Avatars sure are eerie :yikes:. You can tell it's animating individual elements of the face (eyes, mouth, some of the cheek structure) while other parts are just weighted to the head. I bet people will love looking at those in meetings and not at all feel uncomfortable and offput by a group of them in a room (I know, I know, work in progress, but still)

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

That's great to hear, anything more than about 4 hours was going to be perfect for me on the remotes.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I got a index and 3080ti but I can’t figure out what settings I should set my graphics to to make the RE2 VR mod not run like complete rear end. What is everyone else typically setting things to go get decent, stable fps?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm on a 3060 and didn't touch a single graphical setting, it ran absolutely fine - if you've adjusted the graphics then try setting them back to default, I feel like there were some things they recommended not touching but I can't remember what. Otherwise, not sure.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I was an early adopter of the Rift and PSVR, then after they collected dust, I convinced myself that the simplicity of the Quest’s no cord/1 cord setup would result in more frequent usage. That happened for a while but didn’t pan out quite as much as I expected; but I still have it in my head I’m going to revisit VR in the future.

My understanding is that quest 2 is far superior to 1; is it worth an upgrade? Is it better to maybe wait on the inevitable “we sold 0 pros” trickle down to the quest 3?

Most pressing: have there actually been any jumps in VR game development since, say, 2020? I have HL Alyx and Arktika and the Star Wars Vader games; how has development progressed since then? What are the single player milestone games of note since then? Are we any closer to AAA VR games, or are we still in the mostly indie jank phase?

For reference, the most incredible experience I ever had in VR was playing RE7 through entirely in VR. I dream of the day where we get that kind of experience with lots of games and genres, if it’s with less screen door effect all the better.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Anyone have any idea what has gone wrong with my Steam VR Home - the first time I used it I could download a whole bunch of different 'Homes' but now when I look under the 'Places' menu there's nothing there. I can access all the items and mess around in the default home, but it would be nice to try out some others. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Could it be that my headset battery was too low?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

I was an early adopter of the Rift and PSVR, then after they collected dust, I convinced myself that the simplicity of the Quest’s no cord/1 cord setup would result in more frequent usage. That happened for a while but didn’t pan out quite as much as I expected; but I still have it in my head I’m going to revisit VR in the future.

My understanding is that quest 2 is far superior to 1; is it worth an upgrade? Is it better to maybe wait on the inevitable “we sold 0 pros” trickle down to the quest 3?

Most pressing: have there actually been any jumps in VR game development since, say, 2020? I have HL Alyx and Arktika and the Star Wars Vader games; how has development progressed since then? What are the single player milestone games of note since then? Are we any closer to AAA VR games, or are we still in the mostly indie jank phase?

For reference, the most incredible experience I ever had in VR was playing RE7 through entirely in VR. I dream of the day where we get that kind of experience with lots of games and genres, if it’s with less screen door effect all the better.

if you're looking for a real jump forward (and step back, since it's still cabled) PSVR2 might have you covered. They seem to be making a serious attempt at a AAA VR push.

In terms of games in the vein of Alyx, you might want to check out Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners which released around the same time, a sequel is coming out soon too. It's an attempt at a VR immersive sim, isn't quite AAA but sits well above indie jank.

There's also perennial favorite Walkabout Mini Golf, which is the reason why my household has 5 headsets now. Stylistically it doesn't look AAA but the game itself is extremely polished and loaded with high quality content and DLC courses that are absolutely awesome, it's VR's sleeper killer app if that makes sense.

Otherwise it has been pretty dry. The Half Life 2 VR mod is really cool? There's quite a few flatscreen > VR mods now, but that one stands out with particularly good VR mechanics.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 13, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Red Rox posted:

Anyone have any idea what has gone wrong with my Steam VR Home - the first time I used it I could download a whole bunch of different 'Homes' but now when I look under the 'Places' menu there's nothing there. I can access all the items and mess around in the default home, but it would be nice to try out some others. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Could it be that my headset battery was too low?

I can't check right now, but as I recall most of those things are fetched via the Steam workshop. Could it be you've got your Steam set to offline mode or that it's otherwise unable to access the SteamVR workshop through the regular interface?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

bloodysabbath posted:

I would wait one more year, if you already had or have Rift/PSVR/Quest 1.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Perestroika posted:

I can't check right now, but as I recall most of those things are fetched via the Steam workshop. Could it be you've got your Steam set to offline mode or that it's otherwise unable to access the SteamVR workshop through the regular interface?

Hmm maybe - but I can interact with all of the furniture and things, and I can interact with the premade templates, but nothing comes under Popular. The first time I tried it I downloaded a cosy forest cabin but that’s gone too. So weird.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Red Rox posted:

Hmm maybe - but I can interact with all of the furniture and things, and I can interact with the premade templates, but nothing comes under Popular. The first time I tried it I downloaded a cosy forest cabin but that’s gone too. So weird.

The Workshop functionality is reliant on being connected to the Steam servers, so if Steam isn't running or the there is some other issue with connectivity, no Workshop items will work. If that is the case, the panels in the default home should also be broken, and not show any content.

This also counts for ALL custom keybindings, so if Steam isn't running, you lose all inputs if they aren't set to default.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I got a index and 3080ti but I can’t figure out what settings I should set my graphics to to make the RE2 VR mod not run like complete rear end. What is everyone else typically setting things to go get decent, stable fps?

You could be limited by your cpu if it’s older

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

also the VR to flatscreen discord is a great place to look for answers/help if you're casting your help line into multiple places.

for me if any VR mod was giving me trouble, it was the VR API being used, I think openxr was fine but I had better performance using steamvr?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

akadajet posted:

You could be limited by your cpu if it’s older

Googling suggests that it has some pretty high CPU usage when more routes open up and multiple zombies are on screen, which I can see being the case - Mr X basically paths around the entire police station at 4x speed, and the zombies shambling and falling against things is probably CPU bound too.

So yeah, let us know your CPU - I'm on a 5600X for reference, game runs fine to my eyes.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I have a AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4GHz [4.9GHz Turbo] 16 Cores/ 32 Threads 72MB Total Cache. But I’m also running windows 11 and I know that apparently is still fucky with VR and valve technically doesn’t have it listed as compatible with Steamvr

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

It appears I'm like a month late to this, but why am I getting a "no confirmed emails on file for this account" message when setting up my Meta account (or attempting to do so)? I can't do it with or without facebook, same error both ways. It recognizes that I have a Quest 2 when I go into the phone app, but gets stuck there every time.

This is what I get for updating things, apparently. Stupid me

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Trying to get back into vr, so I picked up bonelabs. I don't know why it still uses the trigger button to pick up guns. Grossest feeling I ever have playing vr. My hand hesitates each time. Also, can you turn off controller crouching in this one?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There was a new Tales from the Soda Island chapter released this week, in can you didn't notice.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Seems like VRChat is the easy way to make anime movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRmPywZMDIw

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Saukkis posted:

Seems like VRChat is the easy way to make anime movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRmPywZMDIw

If you told me "there is a VR Chat movie" that is exactly what I would imagine in my head

Yes it is about underage anime girls and yes the tits do bounce. The complete creepy package

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/1580249464014446592

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'd probably upgrade for that price if it improved on stuff that matters to me like battery life and resolution. It sounds like even the Quest Pro is not that much better in the battery department though and the resolution is better but not by a lot so I have to wonder how much of a difference there would be between a Quest 2 and 3 at that price point.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I like my Q2 as a stand alone device so I'll probably buy 3 and give 2 to my nephew who is 11.

Poor dude came to me in August and told me he's saving for a quest and I had to tell him about the price increase. He even came to me last month and asked if I could loan him $200.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

explosivo posted:

I'd probably upgrade for that price if it improved on stuff that matters to me like battery life and resolution. It sounds like even the Quest Pro is not that much better in the battery department though and the resolution is better but not by a lot so I have to wonder how much of a difference there would be between a Quest 2 and 3 at that price point.

Its a question of how good Qualcomm's new XR is, since the Q3 chip will be made specifically for it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Make sure steamvr isn't set to auto on the video resolution poo poo. If it is, its probably at like 160%+

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/hmltn/status/1580613618600914944

Legs segment was a bullshot.

And don't expect the face tracking to work to the fullest anytime soon if it maxes out the enterprise level hardware.

https://www.roadtovr.com/quest-pro-face-tracking-tech-demo-aura/

"Luckily Meta has built a tech demo which shows what’s possible when an avatar is designed with Quest Pro’s face-tracking in mind (and when almost all of the headset’s processing power is dedicated to rendering it)."

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

Its a question of how good Qualcomm's new XR is, since the Q3 chip will be made specifically for it.

As I understood from Carmacks talk the next xr is shaping to bee too good and will probably be litified for Quest 3 to get the cost down.
Also the quest 2 price increase was because the free apps are too popular.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MikusR posted:

As I understood from Carmacks talk the next xr is shaping to bee too good and will probably be litified for Quest 3 to get the cost down.
Also the quest 2 price increase was because the free apps are too popular.

Yeah this new chip we're making with Qualcomm was too good so we've had to make it worse. Also we had to put the price up because none of you actually buy games.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

got a video of that?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, I thought it was interesting how he said the usual plan of sell the hardware at a loss and make it up in software/service sales can lead to a weird kind of unhealthy feedback loop in some cases.

Like if you're losing money on every headset, and people buying headsets are getting tons of value from and using a lot of free applications, then "free" stuff starts to look like the enemy (because it's leading to hardware sales [-$] but not bringing software/service sales [+$] with it.)