Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I took the advice given to me (much) earlier in the thread and salvaged my raider-murdered colony by having my Time Suck Psychic Vampire Seer escape in a dropship with her son. I thought "I'll flee to the other side of the planet into the middle of that giant jungle for safety, I've never tried Jungle before, it'll be fun!"

No, gently caress jungles. gently caress the constant looming threat of getting donkey punched by gorillas. gently caress the constant and never-ending bouts of sickness. gently caress the steamy 100 degree season that never ends with pissing rain that makes everyone mad all the time! I don't even give a poo poo about the abundance of food, we live that nutrient paste life! I'M PAVING IT ALL!

That said, I'm having a wonderful time roleplaying "2 Techpriests marooned on a Deathworld" honestly. It's honestly a really good time to start off with almost no resources but a shitload of research completed and a couple of strong pawns with good weapons -- all the events really feel like they matter in a big way. So thanks for whoever told me to cowboy up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Anyone tried stardeus yet? I thought about it but its launching into EA with twice the price tag of rimworld and I find it hard to see how that would be worth it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Atillo posted:

I've found two is manageable if one of them is reasonably stable. At three the simultaneous crises seem to get right out of control.

Do you basically split wealth between the two or are they for different things?

I'm imagining that you could kind of cheese things by having half as much wealth in each colony, but then when a big raid comes you have everyone pile into drop pods and suddenly have double the combat power (potentially dropping behind the enemy, even). This definitely is not for me, I have enough trouble micro-managing just 1 colony

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Carcer posted:

Anyone tried stardeus yet? I thought about it but its launching into EA with twice the price tag of rimworld and I find it hard to see how that would be worth it.

It's a Paradox game so I figure it'll have a rough launch followed by a lot of patches and DLC, and then I'll eventually get it for free because Paradox is pushing the base game as a loss leader hoping I'll buy DLC.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I really wish there was better support for indirectly-managed outposts and bases. Apparently there are some mods for this? But they seem really unpolished and from what I saw at least, didn't really mesh well with the mechanics or feel of the game. One looked like Total War style city slot management.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carcer posted:

I loved the demo, but I haven't had time yet to play the full game. Tomorrow is my day off, I will report on the state of the early access then :)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Riatsala posted:

One of my pawns has a functionally permanent -10 mood debuff because he's constantly getting rebuffed by another, married pawn. Any way to get this loser to take the hint?

surgically remove his tongue to change it to a functionally permanent -8 debuff

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

isndl posted:

It's a Paradox game so I figure it'll have a rough launch followed by a lot of patches and DLC, and then I'll eventually get it for free because Paradox is pushing the base game as a loss leader hoping I'll buy DLC.

Its getting quite good reviews, though it came out yesterday so its best to leave it for a bit anyway.

Torrannor posted:

I loved the demo, but I haven't had time yet to play the full game. Tomorrow is my day off, I will report on the state of the early access then :)

The reviews are saying its already quite detailed, but it would be appreciated.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It’s not really a Paradox game - best I can tell it’s developed by one dude in Lithuania. They’re just publishing it. I watched Quill18’s stream yesterday and it looks pretty polished. I’d kill to have some of the search functionality in Rimworld. Also the animals have a Force Pet option and it looks like cats can ride on the roomba cleaners which both seem like solid ideas.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell yeah, starship where everyone gets a leopard assigned that they have to look after

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Do you basically split wealth between the two or are they for different things?

I'm imagining that you could kind of cheese things by having half as much wealth in each colony, but then when a big raid comes you have everyone pile into drop pods and suddenly have double the combat power (potentially dropping behind the enemy, even). This definitely is not for me, I have enough trouble micro-managing just 1 colony

I was using multiple colonies to work my way across the world to the spaceship. I would get a colony stable then send three people to start a new one, first time with drop pods, after that with SRTS Expanded mod. Once I had the basics set up in the new colony, generally with the help of some more supply drops, I would start emigrating more people across. The raid sizes on each map seem to scale to the wealth of that colony, not your total wealth, so your new colonists don't get instantly swamped. I never had to move people around for defensive purposes.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Carcer posted:

Gave it a shot, really did not care for it, very slow paced and a "random event" (that I'm pretty sure wasn't random) wiped most of my drones before I had any way to replace them. Wasn't interested in limping along the rest of a time limited demo at crippled pace so I stopped there. Sticking with existing games for now.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

This feels like a sweet thematic element, the secret research base in the arctic is a classic.

Technically you could also just drop pod pollution packs onto any hostile faction base. I mean, why not? Sure the world itself can be effected by pollution levels but just, like, choose a base that's as far away as possible. Or choose a hostile base that's already very cold/polluted

I wonder if hostile factions will generate pollution to the point where you have to show up and kill them to save the rainforest, etc.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Reik posted:

I wonder if hostile factions will generate pollution to the point where you have to show up and kill them to save the rainforest, etc.

I certainly hope so.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd love to see sieges get reworked into a bigger, rarer threat that are more of a "bite and hold" style affairs where the large force sets up, moves forward a little bit, refortifies, etc and makes it so you can have defense in depth working better. Something where siege forces move forward, take the outer wall, stop and dig in, patch up, get reinforcements, and then start moving further towards their goal like "capture x amount of wealth and haul it off" or "Capture Urist Globetrotter".

Right now sieges are the one type of raid that just kind of plops down, launches some artillery shells, then becomes a regular raid :(

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arrath posted:

I certainly hope so.

My first thing is that I'm going to play a xenophobic hippie wood elf colony that ends up being just eco-terrorists. Since babies are being added, I can also ensure only the highest quality of outsider is accepted into my community.

Looking very forward to it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Sieges are funny when you're safe underground so the raiders set up and keep firing their mortars until finally they give up to attack because someone got knocked out in a social fight.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Omnicarus posted:

I'd love to see sieges get reworked into a bigger, rarer threat that are more of a "bite and hold" style affairs where the large force sets up, moves forward a little bit, refortifies, etc and makes it so you can have defense in depth working better. Something where siege forces move forward, take the outer wall, stop and dig in, patch up, get reinforcements, and then start moving further towards their goal like "capture x amount of wealth and haul it off" or "Capture Urist Globetrotter".

Right now sieges are the one type of raid that just kind of plops down, launches some artillery shells, then becomes a regular raid :(

Sieges loving suck and I wish they either didn't exist or they didn't have artillery. If they want to encourage you to come out of your hidey-hole, the sieges are a really bad way of doing that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A longer term siege that didn't have artillery (or only had incendiary and emp shells to annoy you with) but instead focused on interdicting caravans, keeping you bottled up so you couldn't gather resources from the map, hunted the local animals, etc would be an interesting change of the formula.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah, I'd prefer they get set up and then torch everything around the base steadily, killing all the animals and all the natural resources. And if you never deal with them, as a final gently caress you, they place a bunch of proximity mines before leaving or something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I've had sieges just give up and go "Welp they are not coming out, guess we are just gonna go"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

jokes posted:

Yeah, I'd prefer they get set up and then torch everything around the base steadily, killing all the animals and all the natural resources. And if you never deal with them, as a final gently caress you, they place a bunch of proximity mines before leaving or something.

Even being smarter and targeting whatever external infrastructure you have would be an improvement. Instead of plonking shells off the mountain top, launch incendiaries at my crops or aim for the solar panels.

Or hit my RimAtomics water cooling towers, that'll get me out in a real hurry.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Even being smarter and targeting whatever external infrastructure you have would be an improvement. Instead of plonking shells off the mountain top, launch incendiaries at my crops or aim for the solar panels.

Or hit my RimAtomics water cooling towers, that'll get me out in a real hurry.

Hahaha does it ever. I was happy to let a battle go on between the Mass Effect human faction and the mages from RoM, and just stay out of the crossfire.

Until the crossfire included a spray of fireballs hitting my heat exchanger in the river. Oh boy things got spicy fast.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Gave it a shot, really did not care for it, very slow paced and a "random event" (that I'm pretty sure wasn't random) wiped most of my drones before I had any way to replace them. Wasn't interested in limping along the rest of a time limited demo at crippled pace so I stopped there. Sticking with existing games for now.

That's disappointing, especially given the uh, aggressive pricing

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

This would be perfect. I love building elaborate fortresses in Rimworld, with fallback positions, defense in depth, multiple inner walls, etc. But even using things like the smart raiders mod and forcing them into breaching attacks, it's rare that raids bother to assault in interesting ways.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I'm glad for the new shelves.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Atillo posted:

I was using multiple colonies to work my way across the world to the spaceship. I would get a colony stable then send three people to start a new one, first time with drop pods, after that with SRTS Expanded mod. Once I had the basics set up in the new colony, generally with the help of some more supply drops, I would start emigrating more people across. The raid sizes on each map seem to scale to the wealth of that colony, not your total wealth, so your new colonists don't get instantly swamped. I never had to move people around for defensive purposes.

This has been my general strat for my global warming runs. The environment is so hostile it's not possible to use normal caravans unless it's ALL DEVILSTRAND EVERYTHING and it's actually super difficult to get devilstrand at all. You need to actively pay attention to the seasons and do your drops at the right time, or have a master builder who can throw up a climate controlled relay base within hours. Podding over supplies and fuel and people requires careful planning of who and what to send and when. Better not expect to bring your polar jungle elephants, or anything else that is too big to fit into a pod, there is always a wide band of latitudes that are "Growing Season: Never." A manhunter pack can be brutal because of how hard it is to get a good toehold on any kind of stability in the first place, and how much more resistant animals are to heat. Sometimes things that take a week to get in a normal game take an entire year. Sometimes raiders get downed by the weather, sometimes they roll you over in minutes.

It's kind of neat in some ways because if you end up with a polar crash land it will occasionally get cool enough to damage the tropical plants and piss everyone off with how cold it is all the time, but it will also get so hot that growth stops and the animals flee the map. Where they flee to is a mystery because they can't cross to the other pole. I'm not even doing anything to modify the base game -- the sliders def let you set up a planet that doesn't have reasonable biomes for the climate that's generated. These biomes haven't existed on earth for the last 50 million years, to be fair.

Pod relay chains def work if you have a good source of chemfuel and the needed components. Digging into that first map and stripping it without locking yourself into a doom spiral is just the first 3rd of the run.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Manager Hoyden posted:

That's disappointing, especially given the uh, aggressive pricing

That's not been my experience at all, the poster just got unlucky with a random event. I can replace most of my drones right now, and haven't had an event wipe most of them out.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Started on pruning my mod list for 1.4, including over 30 Vanilla Expanded mods after considering if I actually interacted with their mechanics meaningfully or if I cared that much about what animals I'm hunting for meat in a desert or wherever. At the very least this should improve my load times, if not overall TPS.

Despite this I've still picked up a bunch of new mods from watching the workshop for recently updated to 1.4 stuff though. And on my current active list I have over a hundred mods not yet updated for 1.4 so no doubt there's gonna be a lot of stuff getting set aside come launch day anyways.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I really should do that. Theres so much stuff I got because it looked cool and and then barely ever use.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
doing a straight vanilla playthru to remind myself what even is the base game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mad Wack posted:

A miserable pile of boredom

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Allow Tool is pretty non negotiable :(

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
More Plans is so necessary I couldn't stomach the mono color. Rolling my pawns without Prepare Carefully has also lost it's novelty.

Also it's been a trip reading the KV mod set is not going to get updated by KV dude, I know Rimfridge will get remade, but drat... Rip to a foundational mod constellation.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Allow Tool and also that one that aggregates all the meats are 100% necessary for me these days

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mad Wack posted:

Not even wall lights!?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Manager Hoyden posted:

Allow Tool and also that one that aggregates all the meats are 100% necessary for me these days

Animal Logic, hidden in the options, turns everything into chicken meat. Except the meat that you buy, the shameful meat. I miss it so much

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Macichne Leainig posted:

Not even wall lights!?

yeah it's uhh a very sparse existence

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mad Wack posted:

As someone who has only ever played vanilla this thread can be very confusing to read sometimes because people talk about their modded games as if they are part of the base game all the time.

I feel like I'm the only person playing completely vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Popete posted:

As someone who has only ever played vanilla this thread can be very confusing to read sometimes because people talk about their modded games as if they are part of the base game all the time.

I feel like I'm the only person playing completely vanilla.

I play totally vanilla. Waiting for 1.4 to drop before I start another run. It's going to be confusing, last time I did a run was before royalty and psionics and god I'm going to have no idea what's going in.