Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

roomtwofifteen posted:

If I thought Midnight Mass was terrible is there any luck I’d like Hill House? I’m aware I have the unpopular opinion on MM

Yes, Hill House is a *much* better show. I watched both for the first time around the same time, and thought MM was extremely mediocre, while I thought HH was legit great. It takes a bit to get going, but the performances and story arc and some of the writing in HH are all incredible. The last episode destroyed me.

e: Agree with the above that the acting in Midnight Club is just not good. Especially the lead, she's "acting" so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

roomtwofifteen posted:

If I thought Midnight Mass was terrible is there any luck I’d like Hill House? I’m aware I have the unpopular opinion on MM

I've recommended Hill House to just about every person I know, even people who don't "do" horror. It's a well-done show about family trauma and how family units cope and try to make it through the storm.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Does Hill House take a minute to get going? I've tried a couple of times but haven't gotten past the 2nd episode.

I didn't like Midnight Mass and I can't get into Midnight Club, either. Maybe the Mike Flanaverse just isn't for me. I do see he's got The Fall Of The House Of Usher coming out next, and the cast is stacked... Mark Hamill included!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

isaboo posted:

Does Hill House take a minute to get going? I've tried a couple of times but haven't gotten past the 2nd episode.

I didn't like Midnight Mass and I can't get into Midnight Club, either. Maybe the Mike Flanaverse just isn't for me. I do see he's got The Fall Of The House Of Usher coming out next, and the cast is stacked... Mark Hamill included!

Yes, it took me a few episodes to get into it but by the second half of the season I was fully converted. It's definitely worth sticking it out.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Andor kicks rear end, glad Obi-Wan took all the CG budget.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i enjoyed the haunting of Bly manor quite a lot. some visuals that have deffo stuck with me for years

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

isaboo posted:

Can’t wait to hear his spooky joker voice

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I never saw Fright Night, which is on Hulu for Halloween. It's an ok movie with a Doctor Who episode in it, so maybe it makes a good double feature with Suicide Squad if that's still streaming somewhere.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 13, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The original or the remake?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ruddiger posted:

The original or the remake?

The remake, I don't think I've seen the original either. Is that streaming somewhere?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Nihonniboku posted:

She Hulk's final episode was today. I liked the finale. Things build up to a final battle between She-Hulk, Hulk, Hulk-King, Titania, and the Intelligencia when Jenn breaks the fourth wall and says, wait, this doesn't feel right, and climbs into the Disney Plus menu and leaps into a making of feature where she goes to Disney Studios, confronts the writers for hackneyed writing, and fights through security to get to Kevin Feige where it's revealed that he's simply an AI. She calls him out on a fight sequence that makes no sense, how it hits too many tropes that have been heavily featured in the MCU so far, asks for a different ending, and asks when the X-Men are finally coming. K.E.V.I.N. declines to answer the X-Men question, but hints at an upcoming Hulk movie. Then she goes back into the show where there is no big fight, the guy who became Hulk King ended up never getting any powers, and he and the Intellgencia are all arrested. Abomination goes back to prison for using his powers against his release agreement (although Wong breaks him out). Jenn ends the season with a dinner with her family and Matt Murdock, and Hulk shows up with his son Skaar, and the show ends.

Overall I really liked the show, although I'm not sure if it had worked as well without the impeccable Tatiana Maslaney. Even though the She-Hulk CGI was inconsistent, ranging from quite good to terribly bad (mostly depending on the lighting), her performance always came through. I really noticed it in this episode with even just her facial expressions, which were very reminiscent of all the subtle things she did in Orphan Black and her many, many, many characters there. I could have gone with more jokes, they should have brought in a few comedians to punch up the scripts a bit, but I think the show was successful with what they were trying to do.

I seriously thought you were full of poo poo, but nope, that is legitimately how nutty the finale is and it's loving great. And I pretty much agree with you about the show, but I honestly didn't care when the CGI on her was kinda bad because it's all a ridiculous cartoon anyway.

If you like Tatiana Maslany, as you all should, it's an enjoyable show. If you are super serious about literally any aspect of the MCU, or absolutely hate the MCU, you probably won't like it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Halloween Ends is so loving bad. I’m a little over halfway and it’s not quite as bad as Kills yet, but it’s still impressive how they’ve managed to completely piss away all the good will generated by the 2018 movie.

Like, Halloween 2018 had to be a complete fluke at this point.

I did laugh at one thing: There’s graffiti on the bridge in the beginning that reads “Love lives today” in an obvious joke on EVIL DIES TONIGHT. Not entirely sure I’m willing to give the movie credit for it though after how many loving times we had to hear EVIL DIES TONIGHT in Kills though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I will begrudgingly admit She-Hulk's second half is a lot stronger than its first, it definitely found its footing more after all the setup. They still needed way more cases though.

Also saw the final season of Derry Girls and it's good if you like that sort of thing.

Also saw S3 of the Netflix Castlevania show and boy does it lose direction without Dracula but I did enjoy Alucard getting betrayed during a threesome lol

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just finished the season finale of Rings of Power on my lunch break. Good episode, we got answers, there were a lot of emotions, and the plot moved forward again. The cultists capture the stranger saying that he is Sauron and attempt to unlock his powers. The harfoots arrive to try and rescue him, but when the cultists are about to kill them, the stranger sends the cultists back to the darkness, and only then do the cultists realize the stranger is one of the Istar, and not Sauron as they thought. Having remembered more, and now able to speak more easily, the stranger reveals himself to be a wizard, and he was sent to Middle Earth to help. Nori leaves with the as yet unnamed wizard to help find his purpose. Meanwhile Galadriel and Halbrand show up to Celebrimbor's house and together with Elrond they figure out how to forge the mithril into something useful, like a crown, mostly with Halbrand's guidance. As they work away Halbrand says some shady stuff that gets Galadriel questioning who he is, and she figures out that he's lying and confronts him when he reveals himself to be Sauron. After a dream fight he leaves and Galadriel goes back to Celebrimbor and says that they should make 3 rings instead. The episode ends with the 3 elven rings forged, and Sauron smiling slyly at the now erupting Mount Doom in Mordor.

I enjoyed the show. It started strong, slowed down and started to lose my interest in the middle, before knocking it out of the park in the end. I liked everything with the Harfoots and Dwarves the best, and liked the men of Numenor and the Southlands the least. Hopefully going into season 2, now that they've got the foundation laid, they can keep up the pace.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I've seen the full show, and that piece was kind of a nothing tbh. Plus there are grammatical, structural and vocab errors throughout, but the by-line is just embarrassing in a written publication.

Ah yes. :airquote: tropes :airquote:

But that's what happens with management nickels and dimes, and anyone with any real vision is pushed out.
Yes my words about the AV Club were harsh but I blame their management entirely. Some very good people worked there over the years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The AV Club is a straight up trash fire now. It's a goddamn shame.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

The AV Club is a straight up trash fire now. It's a goddamn shame.

Yeah, their reviews are a complete mess. Full of spelling and grammatical errors, and are often just beat for beat plot summaries rather than actually analyzing what they just saw.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Halloween Ends is so loving bad. I’m a little over halfway and it’s not quite as bad as Kills yet, but it’s still impressive how they’ve managed to completely piss away all the good will generated by the 2018 movie.

Like, Halloween 2018 had to be a complete fluke at this point.

I did laugh at one thing: There’s graffiti on the bridge in the beginning that reads “Love lives today” in an obvious joke on EVIL DIES TONIGHT. Not entirely sure I’m willing to give the movie credit for it though after how many loving times we had to hear EVIL DIES TONIGHT in Kills though.

It was a weird rear end flick that's for sure.

e:

Nihonniboku posted:

I enjoyed the show. It started strong, slowed down and started to lose my interest in the middle, before knocking it out of the park in the end. I liked everything with the Harfoots and Dwarves the best, and liked the men of Numenor and the Southlands the least. Hopefully going into season 2, now that they've got the foundation laid, they can keep up the pace.

I hear a lot of people moaning and groaning about how it doesn't handle the Tolkien lore even close to correctly, and how its poorly written, etc. etc. Based on the amount of times those same people also use the words "SJW" and "diversity" in their rants, I have a good idea whether their opinions can be trusted or not -- but I'm curious how accurate it was to the lore.

Snuff Melange fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 14, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I haven't watched the finale yet but this is the way I've felt too. Southlands stuff is boring and mostly dumb, hobbits and dwarves stuff is great. Overall it's a good, not great, show that I hope they continue to spend their billions on or whatever

Snuff Melange posted:

I hear a lot of people moaning and groaning about how it doesn't handle the Tolkien lore even close to correctly, and how its poorly written, etc. etc. Based on the amount of times those same people also use the words "SJW" and "diversity" in their rants, I have a good idea whether their opinions can be trusted or not -- but I'm curious how accurate it was to the lore.

Having just re read the original lotr trilogy, I couldn't give a drat whether any adaptations are true to the original, because holy hell are these books overrated.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Snuff Melange posted:

I'm curious how accurate it was to the lore.

I'm by no means a Tolkien scholar, and I'm not very familiar with the 2nd age. Apparently the biggest changes are with the timeline, condensing many centuries down to just months? Years? And there are other things that seem to be made up just for the show like the origin of Mithril.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, their reviews are a complete mess. Full of spelling and grammatical errors, and are often just beat for beat plot summaries rather than actually analyzing what they just saw.

AVClub definitely turned into a completely different thing to what it was. I was an avid reader once, but the site just transformed one they started doing recaps of shows. Then it just got swallowed by shallow no-brainer articles, which are just cut and pasted for every show:

* Rumor about upcoming show
* Sneak preview of upcoming show
* What we know about upcoming show
* Recap of show
* Showrunner explains show to us
* 5 times that X happened in show
* Why minor character in show is the best thing ever
* What we guess might happen in the next season of show ...

You have to give them credit for spinning so many articles out of so little substance

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The transformation wasn't related to recaps, as their recaps were gold standard for a long time. There were signs in 2013--I would say the golden age ended after a lot of the best writers left for The Dissolve (RIP), but there was still a strong TV presence right up until 2016 when they got rolled into Gizmodo and the slow decline began.

The real end wasn't until 2019 though, when the site finally got sold to public equity vultures. From there it was last one out hit the lights..

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 14, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

nonathlon posted:

AVClub definitely turned into a completely different thing to what it was. I was an avid reader once, but the site just transformed one they started doing recaps of shows. Then it just got swallowed by shallow no-brainer articles, which are just cut and pasted for every show:

* Rumor about upcoming show
* Sneak preview of upcoming show
* What we know about upcoming show
* Recap of show
* Showrunner explains show to us
* 5 times that X happened in show
* Why minor character in show is the best thing ever
* What we guess might happen in the next season of show ...

You have to give them credit for spinning so many articles out of so little substance

To be fair, this is pretty much every movie site after the pandemic. I've had to unsubscribe from most of them. The before/after quality contrast in AV Club's case is much worse than average though, yes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There were many harbingers. Switching the comment system over to Kinja just KILLED most of the community, you used to have nothing episodes of forgettable sitcoms get triple digit discussions. Then they started with the firings, most recently a huge chunk of the staff being told “We want you all to relocate to L.A., no we won’t pay for it” and obviously it was just so they could shed their higher paid writers.

It really is a perfect distillation of how the modern Internet and venture capital have made it nigh impossible for good critical pop culture writing to thrive. Nobody’s gonna pay you enough unless you’ve got a big enough audience to sustain a Patreon, maybe.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

There were many harbingers. Switching the comment system over to Kinja just KILLED most of the community, you used to have nothing episodes of forgettable sitcoms get triple digit discussions. Then they started with the firings, most recently a huge chunk of the staff being told “We want you all to relocate to L.A., no we won’t pay for it” and obviously it was just so they could shed their higher paid writers.

It really is a perfect distillation of how the modern Internet and venture capital have made it nigh impossible for good critical pop culture writing to thrive. Nobody’s gonna pay you enough unless you’ve got a big enough audience to sustain a Patreon, maybe.

I'd love for Defector (deadspin alums) to pick up the old avclub writers but I think that ship has sailed sadly.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere
Some AV Club writers moved to Paste Magazine - https://www.pastemagazine.com

Any other recommendations?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I was over my friends' house watching Hulu and they have the version with ads and LOL is it completely unwatchable.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

mcmagic posted:

I was over my friends' house watching Hulu and they have the version with ads and LOL is it completely unwatchable.

It is loving terrible. It's on par with YouTube ads

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mcmagic posted:

Speaking of, Netflix announced their ad plan:
https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/netflix-ad-supported-plan-launch-date-pricing-1235402196/
$6.99/month, 720p cap, "some" (5%-10% lmao) titles not available, one screen logged on at a time maximum.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/netflix-ad-supported-plan-launch-date-pricing-1235402196/
$6.99/month, 720p cap, "some" (5%-10% lmao) titles not available, one screen logged on at a time maximum.
what garbage. I think the only effect this is going to have is to make existing subscribers think about how much they're paying and start sharing their account with other people to save money.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mystes posted:

what garbage. I think the only effect this is going to have is to make existing subscribers think about how much they're paying and start sharing their account with other people to save money.

They have previously announced they are going to start charging more for this as well :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Field Mousepad posted:

It is loving terrible. It's on par with YouTube ads

I've come to start accepting ads are back, but Hulu pisses me off more than any other service. They play the same ad every single break, and on some of my devices the commercials are 5x louder than the actual content.

But I'll stick with the ad version since I get it for free. Though watching Hellraiser and it having a couple ad breaks is enough to make me think about getting back on the pirate boat.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The volume of the ads is the thing that annoys me the most. It's honest to god three times louder than whatever volume you have it at and it drives me crazy.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Do pi holes or stuff like that work on Hulu?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

720p? Is internet media just regressing now? YouTube has also been doing A/B testing on setting people to low res automatically.

The reduction in catalog is something I totally didn’t expect for the cheap tier. How ridiculous.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Medullah posted:

I've come to start accepting ads are back, but Hulu pisses me off more than any other service. They play the same ad every single break, and on some of my devices the commercials are 5x louder than the actual content.

But I'll stick with the ad version since I get it for free. Though watching Hellraiser and it having a couple ad breaks is enough to make me think about getting back on the pirate boat.

These motherfuckers will play ads FOR THE SHOW YOU'RE WATCHING that have scenes from later in the season! It's heinous.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mcmagic posted:

These motherfuckers will play ads FOR THE SHOW YOU'RE WATCHING that have scenes from later in the season! It's heinous.

That happened last night watching Halloween Ends (don't watch Halloween Ends) on Peacock. It rolled a two minute trailer for the movie before the movie.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

A company gets dumber the bigger they get. This seems to be universally true. They make increasingly anti-consumer decisions with each billion that gets added to their worth.

"Consumers are not happy with us... so let's make their experience even worse!!!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the reboot of the Mole on Netflix is seriously a great reality show if you're into that poo poo. very similar to the OG but better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

My love for Bobby Cannavale has tricked me into (briefly) watching two terrible Netflix things in the last two weeks. Reed Hastings please put this man into something good I beg you