Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

pixaal posted:

If we're going to have him work it off it'd probably be more satisfying and humiliating for him to force him to guest star on shows as the bad guy. Just constantly poo poo on. He can have enough to pay for ramen or chili but not both for the week and a small apartment. Rest goes to the families. Basically your idea but it's scripted so he can't possibly say hateful things on air(unless some show's writing staff is dumb enough to give him input). Letting him have live shows still seems like a very dangerous thing.

If they can find a billion hidden in crypto then yeah sell that ban him from everything.

I'm reminded in this scenario of Goering, who as a prisoner was deprived off his drugs and all the other gluttonous pursuits he could pursue. So at the time he cheated the gallows by taking cyanide had lost 60lbs and was in the best shape he'd been for years.

So I guess the moral here is beat the flab by loving up so badly you end up owing a Billion dollars. #oneweirdtrick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Crain posted:

Just put him in The Cube but with no lethal traps, just constant humiliation.

This was a great idea but when I finished the Humiliation Cube, Ted Cruz immediately bolted into it and now I can't get him to come back out. :mad:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

I'm reminded in this scenario of Goering, who as a prisoner was deprived off his drugs and all the other gluttonous pursuits he could pursue. So at the time he cheated the gallows by taking cyanide had lost 60lbs and was in the best shape he'd been for years.

So I guess the moral here is beat the flab by loving up so badly you end up owing a Billion dollars. #oneweirdtrick

He had to lose the way to get him down under the LD50 for that capsule.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I see Alex Jones has been ordered to pay 1 billion dollars… reminds me of when I ordered dinner at 5 Guys 😂

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

funeral home DJ posted:

This was a great idea but when I finished the Humiliation Cube, Ted Cruz immediately bolted into it and now I can't get him to come back out. :mad:

That's fine, he's just now part of the punishment.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Everett False posted:

As a non-lawyer my understanding has been that he cannot appeal the default, but I'm less clear on whether appealing the amount of damages is a possibility.

It's possible but difficult by my understanding. Punitive damages are slightly easier to appeal but courts are deferential to juries on compensatory damages, in part because they're treated as findings of fact - Alex would have to demonstrate that the jury basically got the facts entirely wrong at every level. He straight up isn't allowed to do that regarding the default judgement, and he's got a bit of an uphill battle if he wants to show that actually he didn't maliciously torment these grieving parents for (a lot of) personal gain.

He's got problems.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Everett False posted:

As a non-lawyer my understanding has been that he cannot appeal the default, but I'm less clear on whether appealing the amount of damages is a possibility.

Not a lawyer either, but from my understanding he could appeal the default, but for him to have any chance of success he'd have to prove the judge engaged in some form of misconduct in regards to the default judgement.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mercury_Storm posted:

He might be attempting to go on the wingnut welfare walk now (more than usual I guess):

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1580621431867838467?t=-LI4q-XZsMeXYoMl8A1qWQ&s=19

not that he could hold on to that money

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

funeral home DJ posted:

I will buy some of that sheet rock for $1 a square foot just to watch some contractor sawing through the joists behind him as he unleashes guttural screams into a mic.

And then the scream cuts off as we see someone carrying the sound board off. Just him screaming but the audience hearing nothing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tree Dude posted:

Knowledge Fight have joked about forcing him to have an on air fact checker on every show.

That’s surely cruel and unusual punishment?

For the hypothetical fact checker, not Jones.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mercury_Storm posted:

He might be attempting to go on the wingnut welfare walk now (more than usual I guess):

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1580621431867838467?t=-LI4q-XZsMeXYoMl8A1qWQ&s=19

That tweet has some quality brain damage replies

Alex Jones fans are loving next level stupid and obsessed

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

He had to lose the way to get him down under the LD50 for that capsule.

:nfpa:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

sweet geek swag posted:

Not a lawyer either, but from my understanding he could appeal the default, but for him to have any chance of success he'd have to prove the judge engaged in some form of misconduct in regards to the default judgement.
The typical standard* is "abuse of discretion" which means the judge at trial did something contrary to established law/procedure, displayed some sort of prejudicial bias, or something which would be egregiously wrong. That's pretty rare since appellate courts tend to give wide latitude to how a trial judge runs their courtroom, and the record would show that Jones repeatedly flouted the court's orders on discovery. You don't suddenly default in a case you're actively litigating, you build to that by your intransigence. Is it possible it would get overturned? Sure, nothing's guaranteed in litigation. But unless there's a sea change in the law between now and when such an appeal is heard, those odds are Powerball lottery odds.

*(If an actual CT practitioner wants to weigh in please do so!)

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The funniest thing would be if Jones assigned rights to his name and likeness to FSS, and then the families gained control over those rights by virtue of being creditors of FSS.

I wonder what interesting legal things the new owners of FSS assets could do with those rights.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Yvonmukluk posted:

That’s surely cruel and unusual punishment?

For the hypothetical fact checker, not Jones.

Not if the fact checker controls Jones' microphone, and Jones is in a sound-proof booth.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
This might have been discussed much earlier in the thread, but given that Alex Jones doesn't actually have $1 billion to pay the families then what exactly is he obliged to do from here on? His existing assets get sold off, I guess, and he goes into bankruptcy, but he can keep working as a presenter so long as all his non-essential income goes to his creditors? Can the failure to pay debts land you in prison in the US? And is FSS an entirely separate legal entity, or is it also on the hook for the damages owed here?

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Wizard Master posted:

I see Alex Jones has been ordered to pay 1 billion dollars… reminds me of when I ordered dinner at 5 Guys 😂

lol we are living in some times

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
FSS and Alex are both 100% on the hook for the debt. If he sets up infowars 2 he's still going to get basically all his income garnished; I suspect that regardless of whether he stays at infowars 1 the trustee is going to want to keep it operating for the precise purpose of paying it's creditors (now mostly the Connecticut plaintiffs lol)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Legitimately curious: does Jones have any billionaires that he’s really buddy-buddy with, who might have a vested interest in keeping him going despite all of his poo poo?

I mean, I seriously doubt that he’d ever get a Hail Mary benefactor, but… well, people have spent way more on stupider poo poo than keeping a swollen ham on the air.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a lot of speculation Peter Thiel was the one who gave him the eight mil in bitcoin. He's been a useful tool for the right but that doesn't mean anything, really. As soon as they decide he's too toxic he'll be dropped in an instant (given the bottom scraping guest lineup he has nowadays compared to the past, this may have already happened) and one of the other ghouls will be the new darling.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Renegret posted:

lol

jones owes a billion dollars

lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A billion is too much to spend for japes, even Musk or Bezos would balk.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

FSS and Alex are both 100% on the hook for the debt. If he sets up infowars 2 he's still going to get basically all his income garnished; I suspect that regardless of whether he stays at infowars 1 the trustee is going to want to keep it operating for the precise purpose of paying it's creditors (now mostly the Connecticut plaintiffs lol)

So the only way for the trustee to pay the plaintiffs is to continue to run infowars and spread more conspiracy theories? I thought this whole thing was about stopping that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

There is an approximately 0% chance his victims keep infowars running for their own profits. Jones can't pay them the full amount, he will never be able to pay them the full amount. That's the point. He's losing everything and will be giving them drat near all of his income for the rest of his life.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Is it just me or was this trial really out of everyone's attention? I was following the Texas trial very closely. But in the runup of the CT trial, I understood it as more of an "also-ran". There seemed to be much less buzz around it, despite it sinking him.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Sophy Wackles posted:

So the only way for the trustee to pay the plaintiffs is to continue to run infowars and spread more conspiracy theories? I thought this whole thing was about stopping that.

They are keeping it running for the duration of the bankruptcy proceedings because Jones and co have been up to money shenanigans. It’s to make sure they don’t siphon any more money off. After the bankruptcy is over, the trustee is done.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

funeral home DJ posted:

consider him a feature for other contestants

e:f,b

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 13, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sophy Wackles posted:

The trustee is there to make sure Jones doesn't steal the copper plumbing out of the wall and bail on his judgements and debts. It's going to take the trustee a while to Un-gently caress the books. In the meantime he's fiduciary-bound to keep the ship upright long enough so it can be torn down gracefully and fairly to pay the *legitimate* debtors and judgements. Part of that is going to be figuring out all of Jones' hiding holes and fake companies that he tried to use to establish a bunch of debt he owes himself to try and game the bankruptcy system.

At this point it's really a matter of time. Unless he has way more liquidity than anyone thought, he's going to probably have severe garnishments on him until he dies broke.

Edit: the deep state found Jones in so far as they are going to be so deep in his wallet that they'll be taking the change out of his car.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 13, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So his next trial is back in Texas right? Who's the plaintiffs in that one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Deptfordx posted:

So his next trial is back in Texas right? Who's the plaintiffs in that one.

I think there's a Lenny Posner trial still, but I'm not 100% sure on the status of that.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

DeathSandwich posted:

The trustee is there to make sure Jones doesn't steal the copper plumbing out of the wall and bail on his judgements and debts. It's going to take the trustee a while to Un-gently caress the books. In the meantime he's fiduciary-bound to keep the ship upright long enough so it can be torn down gracefully and fairly to pay the *legitimate* debtors and judgements. Part of that is going to be figuring out all of Jones' hiding holes and fake companies that he tried to use to establish a bunch of debt he owes himself to try and game the bankruptcy system.

At this point it's really a matter of time. Unless he has way more liquidity than anyone thought, he's going to probably have severe garnishments on him until he dies broke.

Edit: the deep state found Jones in so far as they are going to be so deep in his wallet that they'll be taking the change out of his car.

Ok thanks for the clarification. I’m also wondering if the plaintiffs have a senior claim on assets vs whomever else lent Jones and his companies money.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sophy Wackles posted:

Ok thanks for the clarification. I’m also wondering if the plaintiffs have a senior claim on assets vs whomever else lent Jones and his companies money.

To be determined. Most regular debts will discharge in bankruptcy, the court proceedings will determine how much the debtors will get. Figure on "pennies on the dollar"

The Connecticut judgement (and I think the Texas one too but I'm not 100%) are *not* dischargeable through bankrupcy due to the nature of the trial and judgement. He is on the hook for those no matter what.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is it just me or was this trial really out of everyone's attention? I was following the Texas trial very closely. But in the runup of the CT trial, I understood it as more of an "also-ran". There seemed to be much less buzz around it, despite it sinking him.

Everything is bigger in Texas.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
This talk of punishments and him paying it back, which he is unfortunately very capable of doing in like 5 years, is kinda glossing over the fact that he'd be making that money by doing further harm to people.

You dont want him to pay it back you want him dead in a ditch.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is there not actually a way that Jones could pay off a billion dollars before the end of his working life? Like even if it takes him 20 years of making $50m a year, he'd be 60ish and once it's paid off he'd still be making $50m a year.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So when does this actually bite Jones? Do we have to wait till some final ruling after punitive fees? like a few weeks for the axe to fall?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone he does it to in the future can now point to this as an example of his unrepentant character. His finances will also be under constant scrutiny so he can't deny knowing the value of the subject of his rants or hide income. He's quite likely never making money for himself again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In bankruptcy news, the new CRO has officially been appointed. He and his firm will be the ones running FSS. FSS is paying them $50k/month to do it, too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It also helps that Alex is right now doing Sandy hook conspiracy theories so we will be back I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

It also helps that Alex is right now doing Sandy hook conspiracy theories so we will be back I guess

Like, again, right now, on his show?

Jesus.