Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
G1 Spike is the perfect one to base this on, yeah.

Goes from being just some teen working on an oil rig to, over the course of the war, the literal head of Fortress Maximus and one of the biggest assets to the Autobots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

Transformers has had plenty of new things in the last few decades, and TFs have done enough ponderous stories set in space where they battle endlessly. It’s time to move on.

Stuff from comics that nobody reads doesn't count. Transformers has done enough stories about alien robots coming to Earth and teaming up with random children for contrived reasons that even the target audience often sees through. It's time to move on.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Netflix WFC cartoons and Cyberverse both featured completely non-human casts. MTMTE was all robot space opera but RiDOP was war drama on earth involving colonialism and GI Joes. It's been essentially a wash.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

G1 Spike is the perfect one to base this on, yeah.

Goes from being just some teen working on an oil rig to, over the course of the war, the literal head of Fortress Maximus and one of the biggest assets to the Autobots.

Why is a teenager working on a oil rig

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
America! Also the G1 cartoon was heavily influenced by the oil crisis.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm calling it a contrivance. Because it is.

Anyway, Spike shouldn't be their model for how to handle humans because he's an absolute bore. He's completely free of ambitions, problems, or any kind of drive that could make a character interesting. Just because he grew up and became the head of a giant robot building doesn't make him interesting. Jack from Prime only avoids suffering the same fate by having actual foils to play off of.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 12, 2022

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Triple-Kan posted:

Well, the two that go on the legs, Wildrider and Break-Down, can be switched. But Dragstrip and Deadend are the bots that go on the right and the left arms, specifically and exclusively.

The pegs where Deadend go on Menasor's arm can be modified to accommodate Dragstrip, they're very similar. But I don't know if that's worth it, personally.

Nodosaur posted:

Just because he grew up and became the head of a giant robot building doesn't make him interesting.

Listen to yourself. This is insane. It is every young person's dream to become the head of a giant robot building.

Sadly, no matter how many wires a young boy eats, he will never become a robot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I

Nod

You realize I mean the general arc in the context of what RS was talking about right? Not literally just repeat Spike exactly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

new thread title please

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I've decided this is Circuit Breaker's origin story now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

I

Nod

You realize I mean the general arc in the context of what RS was talking about right? Not literally just repeat Spike exactly

sorry. I guess I take stuff literally too much.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You need the Transformers on Earth if you want them to have realistic altmodes and it make sense, and if they're on Earth they're gonna need human characters.

And sometimes you gotta downplay the mature robot war epic angle because you're making a relatable show for children.

Nodosaur posted:

Why is a teenager working on a oil rig

Plenty of jobs on an oil rig that don't need a degree. I knew a guy who worked an oil job over the summer to help get through college.

Although do Spike or Sparkplug ever go back to work after the Decepticons blow up the rig? Maybe after that they're on some government grant for being a point of contact with the Transformers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I just want a show set on Earth that has a large cast in the vein of G1 again, last time we had something in that vein was the Unicron Trilogy and that was over 15 years ago

Of course for that to have any real chance of happening again they'd need to return to using 2D animation again so probably never happening

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

SlothfulCobra posted:

You need the Transformers on Earth if you want them to have realistic altmodes and it make sense, and if they're on Earth they're gonna need human characters.

And sometimes you gotta downplay the mature robot war epic angle because you're making a relatable show for children.

Plenty of jobs on an oil rig that don't need a degree. I knew a guy who worked an oil job over the summer to help get through college.

Although do Spike or Sparkplug ever go back to work after the Decepticons blow up the rig? Maybe after that they're on some government grant for being a point of contact with the Transformers.

Spike is working on a car in a workshop full of them in the 'The Girl who loved Powerglide' so either they're working as mechanics or they somehow have enough money for a car collection

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It was the 80's, inflation is a real bear. We don't even remember what it's like. Spike is able to own a house outright after losing his oil rig job for teenagers and everything.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK
Yello!

Terrible phone picture, but at least it somewhat covers up how bad my sticker application was. Joints on mine are really tight, the combiner joint on not scrapper almost terrifyingly so. Such an excellent yellow.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The Autobots receive a substantial energy stipend in exchange for fighting back the Decepticons, I'm sure they can afford to give their friends a few kickbacks.

Taken as a whole the Cybertronian are running a classic mafia protection racket.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zephirus posted:

Yello!

Terrible phone picture, but at least it somewhat covers up how bad my sticker application was. Joints on mine are really tight, the combiner joint on not scrapper almost terrifyingly so. Such an excellent yellow.

I saw this on shelves at Target today, a miracle! It's called "Project Yellow" on the price sticker, but I'm not sure why that could be...

(Looks rad!)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Style posted:

It could be interesting if they actually played with the Immortal Robot thing and used the human cast as a benchmark for how long the conflict on Earth was actually taking. Rather than the Decepticons or whoever coming up with a new evil scheme every week, maybe there's years between battles as each faction moves pieces around and makes preparations, and the kid sidekicks actually grow up and start their own families over the course of a season of TV episodes. Sort of like the time jump from the '86 movie, but we actually see it happen.
Lightyear didn't go down so well, but I thought them doing exactly that was one of the hilights of the movie.

Zephirus posted:

Yello!

Even though I got two knockoffs of that size recently Tonkanator really does tempt me.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Lightyear didn't go down so well, but I thought them doing exactly that was one of the hilights of the movie.

Yeah, that's one of the things I was thinking of as well. Lightyear was really clever in continuing to explore the themes of the mainline Toy Story movies by putting Human Buzz in the same situations as Toy Buzz - having to watch the people around him get older and outgrow him while he stays the same, and encountering another version of himself that started from the same place but had different life experiences that put them at odds with him.

Transformers could definitely do some of that kind of meta-storytelling. There was an interesting bit in Age of Extinction where Lockdown basically tells Optimus that he's come to Earth because the Transformers have had an intergalactic product recall issued, but that never really materialized into anything substantial.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Style posted:

Transformers could definitely do some of that kind of meta-storytelling. There was an interesting bit in Age of Extinction where Lockdown basically tells Optimus that he's come to Earth because the Transformers have had an intergalactic product recall issued, but that never really materialized into anything substantial.
The movie franchise was all about setting up interesting meta-plot implications and then just not even bothering to have any three movies work together as a single story.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

The movie franchise was all about setting up interesting meta-plot implications and then just not even bothering to have any three movies work together as a single story.

Look, you either have time for an interesting story or time to explain the Romeo & Juliet law (apparently incorrectly). You can't do both.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's kind of amazing how little each movie gives a poo poo about the one before it. Like, Megatron must have been an insanely busy guy before being frozen, since he was apparently taking orders from The Fallen, Sentinel Prime, and Quintessa all at the same time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
found this file on Cults and I had some purple leftover. I like the design but it needs to be bigger. I need to learn how to upscale the rifle but keep the peg the same size.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I rewatched The Last Knight, erm, last night and it's not exceedingly awful. It outstays its welcome by half an hour like the previous four movies, and really should have ended when Prime is fighting Bee on the ship. But, the first hour is pretty drat good because it actually places an emphasis more on the actual robots than anyone else. Also Jim Carter and Anthony Hopkins just buy into the whole nonsense completely which helps

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is that the one with the guy who takes pains to explain how his relationship with an underage girl is technically legal or was that AoE

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dabir posted:

Is that the one with the guy who takes pains to explain how his relationship with an underage girl is technically legal or was that AoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p_CUozUyr8

Age of Extinction and I laugh so hard every time I watch where he talks about that in the Pitch Meeting.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rhyno posted:

found this file on Cults and I had some purple leftover. I like the design but it needs to be bigger. I need to learn how to upscale the rifle but keep the peg the same size.

I'm assuming you're printing off of a 3D mesh file?

Back when I was in art school and using Maya, you could select a bunch of vertices (the points where polygon lines intersect) and then ctrl-select (I think, it's been over a decade now) the whole mesh, which would deselect your current selection (which would be the handle) and instead select the remainder (the rifle, so you can upscale).

Once the body of the rifle is selected you ought to be able to use your transform tools to uniformly increase the size of the mesh you want to boost.

I could also be talking out my rear end though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
hmmm, it appears your post was written in a foreign language.

but i realized i'm getting the DNA kit so the peg size won't much matter.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I rewatched The Last Knight, erm, last night and it's not exceedingly awful. It outstays its welcome by half an hour like the previous four movies, and really should have ended when Prime is fighting Bee on the ship. But, the first hour is pretty drat good because it actually places an emphasis more on the actual robots than anyone else. Also Jim Carter and Anthony Hopkins just buy into the whole nonsense completely which helps

I really love The Last Knight and wish we'd gotten a direct sequel with the same kind of madness.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I think Dark Of The Moon is better structured as an actual movie, but yeah, The Last Knight is just completely bonkers in a good way

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, for as bizarre as the idea of "let's get everyone to pitch a different Transformers movie and then mash them together" is, it certainly threw out some wild stuff.

Like you've got Arthurian robot knights who accuse Optimus of following a false god, and then attempt to execute him at the top of a giant nail-shaped spaceship that the VFX studios referred to internally has the Cross ship.

And that's one of the more normal things to happen in the movie.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I love the scene near the end where they drop all the Ospreys on the enemy ship, after acknowledging that the Ospreys don't work at that altitude. Then do it anyway.

Also the entire Arthurian bit, I would watch an entire movie of that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I've talked about this before but the thing I like the most about the Live Action movies is that they're allowed to get weird with the robot mode designs, almost all of the Decepticons are weird looking goblins and ogres, and even some of the Autobots are one the weird side

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AoE will always be the most batshit of the films and it has the best cast of the franchise.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/10/13/buzzworthy-earth-mode-hound-dotm-hatchet-revealed-467901

Buzzworthy Earth Mode Hound and DOTM Hatchet incoming.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wondered if we’d ever see a brighter coloured Hound out of that mould. And a retool, maybe!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rhyno posted:

hmmm, it appears your post was written in a foreign language.

Hah, no worries my dude, hope the kit sorts you out!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Beaten to it. Well done, I salute you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

WIP:

I like purple.