Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Are we sure he doesn't know when to shut up? I got the impression that he was intentionally not shutting up to pull the scrutiny off the other Astros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

They were still in contention at the deadline and made moves reflecting that, moving Correa would have been dumb.

If they hadn't added three pitchers then yeah, I was on the same mindset as you are, but they absolutely made win now moves that just happened not to work for various reasons.

And I'd be in the same mindset as you, except the two meaningful pitchers both had multiple years of control, as did Gray and Paddack in the spring. Fullmer and Leon were the rentals and nothing of note was given up for them. Moving Correa for nearterm help wouldn't have gone totally against the grain.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

Bregman at least had the good sense to shut up after they got caught and just did the lovely press conference. He didn’t run around being an rear end in a top hat about it on his own like Correa. At least from what I remember.

That’s Correa imo. An rear end in a top hat who never knows when to shut up.

Bregman has strong “rural hick who acts tough in high school and goes on to A&M/LSU but shies from actual fights” energy, but that’s just the kind of particular vibe that I personally cannot stand. Correa seems very vanilla “big ego star athlete” coupled with a chip on his shoulder from getting caught cheating.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

And I'd be in the same mindset as you, except the two meaningful pitchers both had multiple years of control, as did Gray and Paddack in the spring. Fullmer and Leon were the rentals and nothing of note was given up for them. Moving Correa for nearterm help wouldn't have gone totally against the grain.

I dunno man I think you're just heavily jaded by hindsight in this one

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You definitely don’t have to sell me on Bregman being a prick.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I agree with everything IcePhoenix has said in the last two pages. It was a tough season, I guess that's why Twins fans have lost their minds.

Also I think whoever signs Correa, their fans are actually going to end up loving him

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Milovan Drecun posted:

Also I think whoever signs Correa, their fans are actually going to end up loving him

Don't hold your breath, in the unlikely event that he signs with the Mariners.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Some Numbers posted:

Don't hold your breath, in the unlikely event that he signs with the Mariners.

It's not like I'm personally invested in if he's liked, but I did have a very negative view of him before, and came away impressed with how well he treated people in his time here. Compared to Donaldson, he's a saint.

The Dior comments are a mislead, he's echoing the very sentiment that is regularly expressed here that he should be paid what he's worth. Twins fans think he'll take a pay cut because he liked it in MN, and the front office is more than willing to fan that flame rather than make a serious offer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If the Cubs sign Correa I will cheer for him to hit dingers, it's just that if the Cubs are actually going to sign one of the big SS FA's and I had a choice, I would rather it not be the entitled baby who banged the cans.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
That was my stance but then the weirdest thing happened and he was a Twin. And he was never whiny once and made friends with all my favorite Twins. He didn't voice any frustration with how the season went, always taking responsibility despite being one of the best players. My point is your opinion might change too.

Also he's the FA SS who can hit and play defense, I would very much take him over most the others. Some of them have their own personality issues, bigger ones even

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs are signing Trea Turner so this isn't going to be an issue.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
rear end in a top hat about the cheating or not any team that isn't set at shortstop and maybe a couple that are should be all in on Correa if they can get him to sign long term

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m thankful that the Yanks have an abundance of SS prospects so my constant nightmare of the Yankees losing Judge and panic signing Correa as a consolation prize are diminished.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Well, the Mariners will probably be joining the rest of you this weekend.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

I dunno man I think you're just heavily jaded by hindsight in this one

Paracaidas, July 30th posted:

Don't know if it's the right move, but am awful curious about Correa's trade value. How much would it take for that to be worthwhile for the Twins?
Not entirely hindsight :)

They'd have gotten absolutely killed by the press if they made that move, and with Royce's injury it'd have been rightly called waving the white flag without anyone to competently fill in. I don't think his absence would have hurt their odds of making it out of the ALDS much, but a solid return would probably have made them 2023 AL Central favorites with the extremely young offense and a rotation of Maeda, Kahnle, Ryan, Gray, and $30m to spend in FA.

That said, not much in the way of comparable hitter rentals at the deadline over the past few years and it's hardly as if they can expect to run into another Cruz for Ryan situation where they profit from a coming 40man crunch... so possible they tried and were stymied by teams saving ammo for Soto etc

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Twins right there in the AL Central division race (if not leading it) by the time the deadline came around? Hindsight and all, but they would have been blasted if they traded away their best player.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Twins right there in the AL Central division race (if not leading it) by the time the deadline came around? Hindsight and all, but they would have been blasted if they traded away their best player.

Yes. I don't know what Paracidias' point is in that last post. I was saying the same stuff then too.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Kirios posted:

Think they were a game or two back but fangraphs has them as a coinflip for playoffs as of 8/1.

Not channeling Yankee fans by braying for Falvine's blood jobs based on the made and not made deadline moves or anything and "we have to remain competitive in baseball's worst division if we can" is valid (if not a mindset of future champions), but not going to feel like I'm riding hindsight for pointing out that the cause of collapse was largely predictable and their focus on controllable pitchers suggests that they were trading with at least an eye on 2023 rather than going all-in for 2022.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

Think they were a game or two back but fangraphs has them as a coinflip for playoffs as of 8/1

They were leading the division on 8/2 by a game over Cleveland and 2 over the White Sox

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I'm sorry Paracaidas but I can only see your points as ones made with the power of hindsight. You cannot expect the Twins FO to think "Well we're winning but this is clearly unsustainable so let's dump Correa!".

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
If no one traded for Rodon because he could have opted into one year for $11 million if he got hurt, no one would have given anything for Correa.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

They were leading the division on 8/2 by a game over Cleveland and 2 over the White Sox
My dumbass was sorting by playoff odds :v:

Kirios posted:

Yeah I'm sorry Paracaidas but I can only see your points as ones made with the power of hindsight. You cannot expect the Twins FO to think "Well we're winning but this is clearly unsustainable so let's dump Correa!".

:shrug: "We have the 7th best odds in the AL for making the playoffs and some glaring deficiencies on the roster" is typically the range that teams start listening on their rentals. It's not as if the collapse was unpredictable (48.8% odds on fangraphs is functionally 'as likely as not'), and moving him (for a return that'd have helped in 2023) wouldn't have been entirely out of step with their trade strategy all year.

Not a hill I'm looking to die on, though! "We should have sold" is the traditional battlecry for fans with underwhelming Septembers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Bregman poo poo on alt right Nazi types then someone replied that he was costing himself jersey sales and he said gently caress you I don't want you buying my jersey so he's alright with me

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Bregman poo poo on alt right Nazi types then someone replied that he was costing himself jersey sales and he said gently caress you I don't want you buying my jersey so he's alright with me

He is Jewish, which always buys athletes entirely too much goodwill from me and made the people being like "Wow you're being political!" even funnier.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its possible to be anti nazi and still an rear end in a top hat. That's a big online problem these days where so many people seem to see everything as black and white so like if you support X or oppose Y then you must be a good guy regardless of all the other bad poo poo.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
In defense of Paracaidas, the trade Correa crowd was alive and well back in July. It was, and still is, a stupid notion imo though. The Twins FO were even asked about it and were basically like 'why the gently caress would we trade him!?!?'

The fanbase is just kind of broken, completely unable to believe in the upside of a Twins team. They could go out there and win 100 games with the best rotation in baseball and nobody is going to truly care until they win a playoff series. And that attitude means a middling team struggling to run away with the AL Central was counted out by even well reasoning fans in July. There's no evidence of Twins Devil Magic to inspire hope. Thus trading Correa becomes a serious consideration in some minds, and the disastrous string of injuries that effectively ended their season was inevitable, rather than just unfortunate.

Bregman sounds cool, stop making me like Astros thanks

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

STAC Goat posted:

Its possible to be anti nazi and still an rear end in a top hat. That's a big online problem these days where so many people seem to see everything as black and white so like if you support X or oppose Y then you must be a good guy regardless of all the other bad poo poo.

True, but I think Intruder is just saying it's a checkmark in his column.

There's plenty of checkmarks in the other column for many people, clearly.

As an Astros fan, I'm ofc biased, but I can still see his obnoxiousness.

But he's from Albuquerque (my sister's adopted hometown I've grown to love as well while visiting her), he is definitely not a chud like so many other baseball players (oh, Lance Berkman... why you gotta be the way you be), and... most importantly to me...

He really hated Trevor Bauer before it was cool.

LongTimeFirstTime fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 14, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My father is exhaustingly negative about sports teams no matter how they're doing. If they're losing its because they were always trash. If they're winning its luck because they're trash and they'll never beat whatever other team. There is absolutely not joy in the moment.

If Cleveland ever manages to win the World Series, I wonder if he'd be happy even for a day or if the players will be celebrating on the field while he grunts out 'but they won't be able to repeat next season.'

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I get that telling fascists to gently caress off is basically the least someone can do but it's still nice to see someone openly do the twitter equivalent of performing Nazi Punks gently caress Off in a world where other athletes might say "Republicans buy shoes too"

Bregman has seemed like an overly cocky but otherwise chill guy through what I've seen of him

But what do I know? None of us actually know any of these people

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

In defense of Paracaidas, the trade Correa crowd was alive and well back in July. It was, and still is, a stupid notion imo though. The Twins FO were even asked about it and were basically like 'why the gently caress would we trade him!?!?'

The fanbase is just kind of broken, completely unable to believe in the upside of a Twins team. They could go out there and win 100 games with the best rotation in baseball and nobody is going to truly care until they win a playoff series. And that attitude means a middling team struggling to run away with the AL Central was counted out by even well reasoning fans in July. There's no evidence of Twins Devil Magic to inspire hope. Thus trading Correa becomes a serious consideration in some minds, and the disastrous string of injuries that effectively ended their season was inevitable, rather than just unfortunate.

The "Trade Correa" logic was based on them not getting enough pitching at the deadline because even the optimists among us didn't think they would go out and get as much pitching as we thought we needed.

But then they did so it was like "oh drat, cool, glad we kept him then."

And then...well we all know the rest :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Trade Correa makes sense if and only if you expect the Twins to collapse the way they did down the stretch

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

STAC Goat posted:

That is a real world thing, not just an online thing.

I could see Correa ending up on the Angels depending on who buys them

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

The "Trade Correa" logic was based on them not getting enough pitching at the deadline because even the optimists among us didn't think they would go out and get as much pitching as we thought we needed.

But then they did so it was like "oh drat, cool, glad we kept him then."

And then...well we all know the rest :v:

That makes sense, but it's a bit of a misread of this FO. They've generally been active at the deadline, in the right direction. They even pivoted mid trade deadline in 2018(?) when a week of poor play basically killed their chances. I think the notion they weren't going to trade for pitching was entirely fan fatigue/doom and gloom, not an honest assessment of how they operate.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Nodoze posted:

I could see Correa ending up on the Angels depending on who buys them

Nooooooo

I highly doubt that now just because Soto, Neto, Paris are all either in the bigs or playing well in AA. Unfortunately none of them are knockout defensive SS so it wouldn't surprise me to see Fletcher at SS as long as he's healthy. If the Angels overpay for anyone this off-season it'll be Synergaard again. Maybe Edwin Diaz, but they dropped Iglesias so quickly at the deadline maybe they think Ben Joyce will be ready next year who the gently caress knows.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Angels should overpay for deGrom

Sale has a player option but lol no way he opts out after throwing less than 50 innings since 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

That makes sense, but it's a bit of a misread of this FO. They've generally been active at the deadline, in the right direction. They even pivoted mid trade deadline in 2018(?) when a week of poor play basically killed their chances. I think the notion they weren't going to trade for pitching was entirely fan fatigue/doom and gloom, not an honest assessment of how they operate.

In my case it was more just not thinking they had the ammo in their farm to beat out the other teams, not that they wouldn't try. I'm sure other people felt the same way.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bruce Sutter has died.

He lived long enough to get his final Braves payout, which had just ended after 30 or so years.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

In my case it was more just not thinking they had the ammo in their farm to beat out the other teams, not that they wouldn't try. I'm sure other people felt the same way.

Yea, sorry, I don't mean to be entirely dismissive in your pov. That's valid. It also shows in who they got, which was a SP with injury concerns and a reliever with a limited track record. They maybe didn't have the prospects to get a marquee player

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 14, 2022

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Bruce Sutter has died.

He lived long enough to get his final Braves payout, which had just ended after 30 or so years.

I know who I'm taking in my 2035 deadpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
welcome to the braves

CHOP!