Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I've spoken on this a few times across threads but I love that Wood Inlay is now a premium option on poo poo like cars.

Like wood on the outside or interior?

poo poo, the Japanese used to love putting real wood inside even their mid-level luxury cars. Only vehicle I've owned with wood was a 1992 Acura Vigor, dash panels and tops of the doors. Thin, but with a nice close grain and fairly substantial backing.

I miss all those bigger late 80's Japanese cars. Mazda 929s, the last 510/Maximas, early Legends, etc. Living where I did in the mid to late 90s, they were super cheap, too. Tool around in luxury until something expensive broke, trash it, buy another for $1500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Gonz posted:

brb gonna go wood panel my dishwasher.

I can smell this picture. That cheap wood paneling of the era had a very specific smell. Though that's possibly the wood soaking up all the smell of the food prepped and cigarette smoke.

Why do all my 80s memories involve smell memories? I have a very good nose, maybe thats why? I was always effected by strong smells.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Smell memory is really strong in humans

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Gonz posted:

brb gonna go wood panel my dishwasher.

lived in a house like this when I was younger. the stove was cool cause it sucked in smoke in the center area, don't know how effective it was since we didn't cook much.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md_uz1dKMTM

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

these are easily one of the best candy bars ever. it's like all the best things from all other candy bars at once. not sure why they aren't given out in fun size during halloween.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Agreed, and it always blows my daughters mind that I remember when they came out.
There’s a new one called whozeewhatsit or something that’s really good too

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

namlosh posted:

Agreed, and it always blows my daughters mind that I remember when they came out.
There’s a new one called whozeewhatsit or something that’s really good too

Picture me in the 90's drinking an OK Cola and eating a Whachmacallit...that poo poo happened and it was glorious.

sorry to bring up the wrong era.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

Picture me in the 90's drinking an OK Cola and eating a Whachmacallit...that poo poo happened and it was glorious.

:same:

it's OK Soda, not OK Cola :catbert:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

it's OK Soda, not OK Cola :catbert:

oh gently caress I knew that sounded wrong. I had it though and it was like a suicide soda of ever mainstream flavor, I loved it and the artwork.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Whatchamacalit walked so Hershey's Take 5 could run.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the ad wizards who came up with that one did a fine job of it considering i first heard it before i was 10 years old and it has been lodged in my brain til this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FDpi75zuiw

uber_stoat has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Oct 12, 2022

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Yep, that commercial has been engraved into my memory since the late 80s.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I can still remember getting into an actual fight when I was 6 because Jeff Lebosse wouldn't stop singing that stupid song.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

tribbledirigible posted:

The cover art occupied a big part of my mind for all of 3rd grade:

That looks like some classic Vince DiFate starship goodness.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This and that loving Bubble Tape ad will probably be my last conscious thoughts as I die.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

replace it with a belt, being lost in the mall, lawn darts, and dunno another belt.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

learned the other day that the toon shoe that gets dipped was voiced by nancy cartwright, voice of bart simpson

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Feels like Brave Little Toaster should be on there, but then again it was late 80s and I watched it as a 90s lad so I guess that's where that one slots

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I still cannot watch that scene with the shoe. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is a stone-cold classic, but that goddamned scene hit way harder than it should have

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it hits real hard because they first establish that toons are basically impervious to physical violence but then they drop that horrible scene on you. very effective.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Plus watching that as a kid you probably hadn't yet gotten used to the idea of law enforcement murdering innocent people on a whim to suppress minority communities

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Basically every scene where there's injury or pain to toons gets played off as a joke, but Dip is an entirely gruesome death filled with terror and existential nothingness.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Plus watching that as a kid you probably hadn't yet gotten used to the idea of law enforcement murdering innocent people on a whim to suppress minority communities

The shoes act more like animals. They scatter when their shipping crate is opened and have to be rounded up by hand, and the one Doom dips is nuzzling up against his foot like a friendly cat.

I realize this probably won't make that scene any easier to watch.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What 80s character would make for a good Halloween costume for a fella?
  • Marty McFly
  • Blues brother
  • breakfast club people??

The party is going to be inside and warm, so the idea of doing marry mcfly with a jacket and a fluffy vest seems… uncomfortable. Same with black suit for blues brother.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Judge Doom is one of the all-time great movie villains IMO.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Come now, you don't need all that stuff when Superman 3 will do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSsSwg9MXs

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Pretty much the whole of Return to Oz, but in particular the walk-in-closet of heads.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

evobatman posted:

Pretty much the whole of Return to Oz, but in particular the walk-in-closet of heads.

Yes. Particularly when they all start screaming. Pure nightmare poo poo

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

evobatman posted:

I feel like I must have been the only one who didn’t find that movie to be all that scary, but thought it was rad as hell

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

$300 in 1982 = $820 today

Powershift has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Oct 14, 2022

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Man, going to the ComputerLand store in the mall in the 80s was like a trip to the future.

I can still picture a blue mousepad I got for my Mac Plus with their logo in the corner.

e: after that closed we eventually got a Sharper Image store that I was hoping would have the same feeling, but all the poo poo in there sadly just felt gimmicky.

Wifi Toilet has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Oct 15, 2022

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

SecretOfSteel posted:

Come now, you don't need all that stuff when Superman 3 will do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSsSwg9MXs

Omg I haven’t watched that in years and I sure remember having nightmares about this after seeing it in the theaters…

temple of doom was another crazy creepy one for little namlosh

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Phy posted:

The shoes act more like animals. They scatter when their shipping crate is opened and have to be rounded up by hand, and the one Doom dips is nuzzling up against his foot like a friendly cat.

I realize this probably won't make that scene any easier to watch.

Thanks for that, now that scene is even worse!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This man is suffering from extreme Boneitis.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I never understood who these people were that used electric razors on the go. That hair's gotta go somewhere, and you're gonna want to wash your face after you shave it. But ads often showed dudes using them in the car and poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

I never understood who these people were that used electric razors on the go. That hair's gotta go somewhere, and you're gonna want to wash your face after you shave it. But ads often showed dudes using them in the car and poo poo.

I used to use mine at my desk while watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and it made a huge loving mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Controller's upside down.