Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

drat I hope Fuji drop some new X100V stock along with XH2. I’ve been waiting to buy one for months..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

drat I hope Fuji drop some new X100V stock along with XH2. I’ve been waiting to buy one for months..

With Japan finally opening for tourists next month I expect to see people buying them over there and bringing them back

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It’s weird I could probably sell my X100V for what I’d paid for it. [No, you can’t have it]

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

With Japan finally opening for tourists next month I expect to see people buying them over there and bringing them back

I’m not sure it’s a “Japan has all the stock” thing so much as supply chains and chip production still being turbofucked. On the bright side, the yen is so weak that the usual ‘buying in Japan’ premium is more than countered right now.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I am selling my lenses. I have a 19mm fixed Sigma E-mount lens that has a nice little scratch across it. It's not *super* noticeable in pictures but you can tell. Is this even worth trying to sell at any price or should I just trash it?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

torgeaux posted:

Preorder for XH2 placed, to replace the XH1.

Update: Today was the day Fuji was going to be shipping units. B & H are receiving "much less than promised." The customer service guy was pretty peeved, strongly implied that they were actively mislead on units. Second batch 3d week of October.

No, I am not in the first batch.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

A guy at my local camera store said they expected more x100 units in September per a rep too.

So much for that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, another update.

Got the shipping notice that the camera is on the way, arriving Tuesday.

Great news, but....

This is being sent with "expedited shipping." From New Jersey to Colorado, that's a slow boat the camera is on.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

torgeaux posted:

This is being sent with "expedited shipping." From New Jersey to Colorado, that's a slow boat the camera is on.

They may be shipping directly from warehouse (e.g. Fuji's warehouse) depending on how unhappy B&H was at them, and they may have just shipped them normally.

I've had gear I ordered from B&H get drop shipped from the manufacturer before when it was backordered or preordered.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Oh hell yeah; I bought a Sigma 300mm f/4 a long time ago on Marketplace for a song, thinking I might get passable, "eventually" autofocus with the Sigma E to EF adapter on my original A7 or at least be able to manually focus it, but it wouldn't even let me change the aperture. Apparently some of the older Sigmas need to be rechipped to talk to a camera through an EF adapter, so I figured I had a dud lens and would need to eventually move it on.

I thought I might as well try it on the A7rII with the same adapter and AF + aperture work :woop:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

windex posted:

They may be shipping directly from warehouse (e.g. Fuji's warehouse) depending on how unhappy B&H was at them, and they may have just shipped them normally.

I've had gear I ordered from B&H get drop shipped from the manufacturer before when it was backordered or preordered.

Tracking shows New Jersey to Colorado.

Unfortunately, also FedEx instead of UPS so a whole day spent at home hoping they don't just say attempted delivery without actually trying, and make me wait two more days to have it available for pickup at a local store.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Fabulousity posted:

Sorta curious if Canon recently telling third party lens makers to go to hell via patent infringement suits vs. Nikon warmly welcoming Tamron into Z mount land has changed all the weird chirping about how Nikon is dead in a mirrorless world despite the Z9.

I love the 'Nikon is dying!' talk, while at the same time they haven't been able to keep the Z9 on shelves since it started shipping in December last year. and it costs $5500US

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have an X-T30 and I’m kind of getting into video. The only lens I have is the 35mm F2. The body has no image stabilization. Would getting a lens like the 18-55 with image stabilization make a huge difference in handheld recording?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I have both those lens and I think so, yes, particularly shooting motion. If you’re using a tripod it’s irrelevant obviously. I find the zoom also really useful for video in general.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Brrrmph posted:

I have an X-T30 and I’m kind of getting into video. The only lens I have is the 35mm F2. The body has no image stabilization. Would getting a lens like the 18-55 with image stabilization make a huge difference in handheld recording?

There are also some gimbals that can support fuji system weight but i dont do video so im not sure how flexible something like that is versus stabilization.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It’s not, but I can confirm that a DJI Ronin SC with an X-T30 & 35mm f2 works fine after you set it up. Very smooth.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Gimbals take a second to set up and are a big piece of gear you need to manage, but yeah, you can do just fine without a stabilized lens if you have a gimbal. If you have both it can make for some really smooth footage but at the end of the day nothing is going to get you better quality than working out getting enough practice to make your movements smoother.

I had a lot of folks from my old job shoot b-roll handheld with no stabilization and the footage looked totally fine in editing

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The X-S10 arrived after apparently being lost for a few weeks en route.

First impressions
- Much smaller than I assumed. I got an L-bracket for it and it's decent now, but still a tad too small for my tastes.
- Build quality isn't as good as the X-T4. It just doesn't feel as sturdy, it's pretty light, and some of the buttons don't have the same feel of durability.
- EVF seems decent enough.
- No hotshoe cover and no external battery charger included in the box. I guess both to save some money?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

DanTheFryingPan posted:

The X-S10 arrived after apparently being lost for a few weeks en route.

First impressions
- Much smaller than I assumed. I got an L-bracket for it and it's decent now, but still a tad too small for my tastes.
- Build quality isn't as good as the X-T4. It just doesn't feel as sturdy, it's pretty light, and some of the buttons don't have the same feel of durability.
- EVF seems decent enough.
- No hotshoe cover and no external battery charger included in the box. I guess both to save some money?

Fuji has been not shipping USB chargers with some of their cameras for a bit, it actually saves quite a lot because they no longer need to keep separate inventories for different territories (different plugs) and can just ship the same package worldwide.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
My girlfriend has a Sony a6000 she bought a number of years ago that was refurbished. At some point she had to pack it away due to life things and now that she is wanting to use it again she's having an issue.

We're not sure if it's even worth paying for service since this thing was only a few hundred bucks years ago so I figured I would try to research the issue and see if it's realistically something that can or should be fixable by a person who doesn't know anything about cameras but can sometimes fix stuff (me!)

Basically, all of the menus seem to work but the display looks like when a PC graphics card is dying. It shows this way on the main display as well as in the viewfinder when that turns on. I have a Sony lens model SEL 1855 attached to it. It's the only one of her lenses that I have in my possession but she says the behavior is the same no matter what lens, even those that are not electronic.

It needed its battery charged so I have it charging right now and then was planning to do a factory reset of it but in the meantime I felt like it couldn't hurt to post a picture here.

\/ Thanks, yeah no luck on the reset. That's kinda what I figured as well when my first thought upon seeing the behavior was a dying graphics card.

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 2, 2022

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That’s the sensor readout, and it doesn’t look good. I guess it’s worth trying a factory reset but I think there’s probably something hosed in the complex electronics that decode the pixel light values and turn them into images. That’s probably going to be “not worth fixing” on an a6000 if it requires replacing the sensor, sensor components, or the logic board.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Happy X-T5 Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wpkoG0SZsk

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This is incredible.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Boy, the feature list sounds nice. I was thinking about waiting until the X-T5 launched to upgrade from the X-T2 to a used X-T4 (mostly for the IBIS) but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't wait for the X-T6 to get a used X-T5 instead...

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Boy, the feature list sounds nice. I was thinking about waiting until the X-T5 launched to upgrade from the X-T2 to a used X-T4 (mostly for the IBIS) but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't wait for the X-T6 to get a used X-T5 instead...

Can you wait at least 2 years?

For me, used prices for Fuji stuff have risen so much over the last year that I think I might just buy a new XT-5. A used XT-3 for ~$900 seems crazy.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I wrote a couple months ago that I'm trying to decide what to replace my X-T1 with. With the addition of another option, I'm still not sure.

Most recently, I was debating between the X-T4 and X-S10, and perhaps leaning towards the latter if I can get over the different control dials and lack of weather sealing.

With the X-T5, I'm certain I don't need or really even want 40 megapixel images, but if that's how sensors are trending then at some point I won't have a choice. And it would be nice to get the most advanced processor, autofocus, and IBIS they have available. Will be substantially more expensive though, so I don't know.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm finally going to get some kind of ILC and the X-T5 looks almost ideal but I'm hoping there's an x-pro 4 with the same rear screen and IBIS. I just greatly prefer the rangefinder form factor.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

qirex posted:

I'm finally going to get some kind of ILC and the X-T5 looks almost ideal but I'm hoping there's an x-pro 4 with the same rear screen and IBIS. I just greatly prefer the rangefinder form factor.

I have a Sony NEX-6, and I'm waiting for the a6xxx replacements with the latest technology, or alternatively an a7c II, for the same reason. On the other hand, if I had that kind of money the A7RV looks worth compromising on the body size.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 6, 2022

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i just scored a new Panasonic G9 for under $800 yesterday and I'm kinda mad I didn't buy this thing sooner. So many quality of life upgrades from the GX8 I'd been using, more Fn buttons than I know what to do with yet, plus a Fn lever. The IBIS and autofocus are way better, but the best feature to me so far has been the addition of linear manual focusing for the PanaLeica 50-200.

heavily cropped jpg from my first walk with it earlier:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

runawayturtles posted:

I wrote a couple months ago that I'm trying to decide what to replace my X-T1 with. With the addition of another option, I'm still not sure.

Most recently, I was debating between the X-T4 and X-S10, and perhaps leaning towards the latter if I can get over the different control dials and lack of weather sealing.

With the X-T5, I'm certain I don't need or really even want 40 megapixel images, but if that's how sensors are trending then at some point I won't have a choice. And it would be nice to get the most advanced processor, autofocus, and IBIS they have available. Will be substantially more expensive though, so I don't know.

I got the X-T4 last year, upgrading from an X-T1 as well and am enjoying it. X-T5's really nice but I really only upgraded for the IBIS (and not have 2014-period ISO performance). If I'm going to upgrade again I'd probably get the X-T7 down the line lol

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

i just scored a new Panasonic G9 for under $800 yesterday and I'm kinda mad I didn't buy this thing sooner. So many quality of life upgrades from the GX8 I'd been using, more Fn buttons than I know what to do with yet, plus a Fn lever. The IBIS and autofocus are way better, but the best feature to me so far has been the addition of linear manual focusing for the PanaLeica 50-200.

heavily cropped jpg from my first walk with it earlier:

Looks like a great camera for walk around wildlife / bird stuff. When I left m43 the telephoto options were still pretty poo poo + “there’s an Olympus premium 300mm prime coming out soon”. It’s gotten better since then in terms of affordability/availability?

How about the G9’s multi shot high res mode? Is it something you plan on using? It seemed like the G9 had some pretty good motion correction processing it could do while combining the frames in-camera, which always seemed like it would be a cool feature if it worked as advertised.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Looks like a great camera for walk around wildlife / bird stuff. When I left m43 the telephoto options were still pretty poo poo + “there’s an Olympus premium 300mm prime coming out soon”. It’s gotten better since then in terms of affordability/availability?

How about the G9’s multi shot high res mode? Is it something you plan on using? It seemed like the G9 had some pretty good motion correction processing it could do while combining the frames in-camera, which always seemed like it would be a cool feature if it worked as advertised.

they exist, but they're still expensive as hell. I was using the lower end and kinda poo poo in non-perfect lighting Panasonic 45-200 ($200ish used) as my main non-pentax telephoto lens for the last few years before finally dropping $1300 on the 50-200, which feels worth every penny in comparison. Supposedly the Panasonic-Leica 200mm 2.8 is even nicer, but that's $2k minimum. There's also a PanaLeica 100-400 that gets decent reviews, but i preferred the versatility of the 50-200 that can also be paired with a 1.4 or 2x teleconverter (which i still need to get - they're also expensive and limited). I'm not super familiar with the pricy Olympus/OM offerings.

what I really need to do, though, is try out my Pentax 300mm with the G9's stabilization. if I can find a spare moment this week I'm gonna try that out along with the 80mp mode at one of my favorite spots.

the downside to getting the G9 and that lens is that my micro four thirds kit feels as if it's doubled in size from my GX7 days. still smaller than an equivalent full frame kit...maybe.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lily Catts posted:

I got the X-T4 last year, upgrading from an X-T1 as well and am enjoying it. X-T5's really nice but I really only upgraded for the IBIS (and not have 2014-period ISO performance). If I'm going to upgrade again I'd probably get the X-T7 down the line lol

I'm still using an X-T10 - I'll probably grab an X-T30 II or X-T4 once the X-T5 brings those prices down.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am still on my XT1. Just cleaned the censor recently. I will run it into the ground before I upgrade.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Decided to not wait, and started looking at the A7C - found a second hand one on eBay, with a Samyang 18mm AF f/2.8, a Lowepro Adventura SH 140 II, a 3kg Joby Gorillapod, and 2x 64gb sandisk extreme pro SD cards for $2300 Australian, seller claimed he'd bought the lot 2 years ago to learn videography, used it for 8 hours and then it had lived in its box since then for changing life and lack of time, which was kinda depressing

It arrived today, and

it's immaculate inside and out :buddy:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 21, 2022

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Welp: https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-supply-notice-for-x100v-orders-greatly-exceed-our-plan-we-will-temporarily-stop-accepting-orders/

Anyway, think I’m slowly going insane from trying to use my 70-300 with my x-t30. The OIS system seems to be wobbling horizontally, like it’s overcompensating for yaw movement. If I turn OIS off in the menu, then back on, it does pretty well for a few seconds… but it’s like it gets deranged after running for any length of time and starts shifting the image circle left and right. This keeps it from working any better than it would OIS off. I thought maybe my technique was making the lens OIS go crazy, but I don’t think that’s it.

drat. Guess I’ll be sending it in for service. Anyone else ever had any issues with their Fuji OIS lenses?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I've only ever had that happen when I have the focal length set incorrectly for adapted glass that doesn't have any electronics. I've also seen it for things like unsupported lenses on adapters/extension tubes/whatever where the electrical contacts for the lens are no longer touching due to minute bend between all the elements.

So yeah probably either a problem with the lens or the camera, hard to tell, but one is not talking to the other correctly.

Never had a non-self-inflicted problem with any of my Fuji stuff though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

At least they're being honest. They've got a niche with a lot of demand. It's a problem you want to have.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

X100V? pshaw! simply go buy a Ricoh Pentax GR III X SE

ricoh griixse

it’s fun to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
They're gonna slap IBIS in the X100VI and charge like $1600.