Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DoctorJones posted:

i think you all are sleeping on the effectiveness of praising pubbies over trivial triumphs.

also i can't tell you how thrilled i am to get a player icon for 31 levels of battlepass.

honestly my highest SR came at a point of being relentlessly, almost sickeningly positive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol if you think that was about shotcalling

if you don't want people calling out your behaviour don't proudly post about it idk

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I know the Lifetime challenges aren't things that have to be done quickly. But making progress on Support wins for the Medic title may be the death of me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I dont mute comms because I like OW2 as a social game and I like talking to people but if it is my earnest and considered opinion that the "I need healing" button shouldn't be available in QP or any comp level below at least gold if not plat

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'll admit this would rob me of one of my greatest joys in this game, a rein doing a full length pin right through the other team, getting deleted and their corpse saying "I need healing" 5+ times, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wheeee posted:

lol if you think that was about shotcalling

if you don't want people calling out your behaviour don't proudly post about it idk

Wait, is it calling me out for hiding chat? Or calling me out for doing what I'm supposed to be doing as D.Va? Lol. Dogstile just mentioned a handful of posts ago that OW2 D.Va should go bother enemies off their high ground perches and punish out of position players. Which is what I've been doing through my D.Va climb in comp. I have to boost away to do that most of the time.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

DoctorJones posted:

i think you all are sleeping on the effectiveness of praising pubbies over trivial triumphs.

when i remember to i start most matches with a cordial match-wide greeting/chat during countdown and almost always get a positive reception, sometimes it sets off a psycho and i get to score a successful report but more often than not it seems to actually work as a bit of an icebreaker and get people to act more chill, which is nice, and often leads to people actually talking about those trivial lil triumphs and poo poo during the match

having random people recognize you and say hi days later in a new match due to it is also pretty cute

nobody who's read my posts in this thread will believe it, but that's how it be

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Do we not get spray choices now? I thought we could equip more than one, but pressing T only gave me the default instead of a wheel of choices.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wheeee posted:

when i remember to i start most matches with a cordial match-wide greeting/chat during countdown and almost always get a positive reception, sometimes it sets off a psycho and i get to score a successful report but more often than not it seems to actually work as a bit of an icebreaker and get people to act more chill, which is nice, and often leads to people actually talking about those trivial lil triumphs and poo poo during the match

having random people recognize you and say hi days later in a new match due to it is also pretty cute

nobody who's read my posts in this thread will believe it, but that's how it be

These posts can't be from the same person... can they? Lmao.

Wheeee posted:

people who like role queue are why overwatch is bad

for a brief beautiful moment in time it looked like blizzard Got It with the implementation of 1-3-2 as a first step, then almost immediately removed the best gameplay change they had made since release due to shrieking freaks who want an fps with no s

someone mentioned hammer guy earlier and yea, hammer guy and his shield are the original big problem with overwatch, along with mace and shield gal and every other gameplay flow breaking shield that only exists to slow the game down until a team can press Q for a big ol’ dopamine hit

quick play and competitive queue times are beyond unreasonable and always will be because surprise, most people playing an fps want to play a shooty character. today in TYOOL 2022 there’s people in this thread complaining about dps players as if it’s the hanzo or mccree main’s fault blizzard couldn’t figure out a design direction for the game, and if you were one of the people who whined about 1-3-2 then you are in fact part of the problem

ow1 is fun in arcade modes, you need fuckin brain damage or something to sit through forever queues for ‘main’ mode matches

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

You have to equip them from the individual heroes menu. I dunno if there's any way to equip any universally or not.

Anyways in the midst of my usual mystery hero and arcade nonsense I'm starting to really enjoy Kiriko. Swapping her primary and secondary fire makes a surprisingly big difference in play feel. That alongside turning off the Healing Ofuda Toggle to get more control over healing talismans makes her feel really good to play. The teleport is super fun and zippy and wall climb can help her get out of danger and get to good vantage spots.

Cool fox ninja is cool.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What does the healing ofuda toggle do?

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Swapping her primary and secondary fire makes a surprisingly big difference in play feel.

this really feels like a pro move. i have no idea why they didn't make her like that by default.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

teagone posted:

What does the healing ofuda toggle do?

It's set to On by default and makes her talismans shoot out all at once when you hit the button, but you can hit the button again to stop it midway (hence why they called it a toggle). If you turn it off you only shoot out talismans a set at a time, so you can hold the button for a stream or just click it once or twice if you just want a little bit of healing out. Toggle on is super clunky and tends to lock her in the full stream if you don't double click, having it off feels way snappier.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Im not saying its the correct decision but it is consistant with moira and mercy having their healing be their primary fire by default, which in turn makes a certain amount of sense given they are healers. I play moira on console and despite using her default key bindings for pc i switch the primary and secondary on console because it feels more natural to have right trigger held down constantly

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I think the reason it feels different between Moira and Kiriko is just as simple as the hands. Kiriko holds and throws her kunai with her left hand and flings her talismans from her right. It probably sounds stupid but actually having the mouse button and actual hand animations line up feels better even if the default is actually more consistent with how other healers control.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
her attack is very much like zenyatta for me. so it just feels right.

my first advancement was from bronze 3 to silver 5 in open queue. i've been chasing challenges and not comping a ton. i want to switch back over to role queue, but it just feels like more games to grind at this point.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think the reason it feels different between Moira and Kiriko is just as simple as the hands. Kiriko holds and throws her kunai with her left hand and flings her talismans from her right. It probably sounds stupid but actually having the mouse button and actual hand animations line up feels better even if the default is actually more consistent with how other healers control.

I’m one of the few that don’t swap the mouse buttons for her, but this has made me realize why they bother to have her hands crossed on your screen. She heals with her right hand but the motion starts on the left side.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You have to equip them from the individual heroes menu. I dunno if there's any way to equip any universally or not.

Anyways in the midst of my usual mystery hero and arcade nonsense I'm starting to really enjoy Kiriko. Swapping her primary and secondary fire makes a surprisingly big difference in play feel. That alongside turning off the Healing Ofuda Toggle to get more control over healing talismans makes her feel really good to play. The teleport is super fun and zippy and wall climb can help her get out of danger and get to good vantage spots.

Cool fox ninja is cool.

Mine are equipped, but I thought we used to get a wheel to choose the spray, like how we do for emotes and lines.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DoctorJones posted:

her attack is very much like zenyatta for me. so it just feels right.

for me, it's that tapping with the index finger is generally easier than with my middle finger, so it's easier to get more consistent shots out without worrying about throwing off my aim too much

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's set to On by default and makes her talismans shoot out all at once when you hit the button, but you can hit the button again to stop it midway (hence why they called it a toggle). If you turn it off you only shoot out talismans a set at a time, so you can hold the button for a stream or just click it once or twice if you just want a little bit of healing out. Toggle on is super clunky and tends to lock her in the full stream if you don't double click, having it off feels way snappier.

Ahh, interesting. I did feel her healing was a little wonky when I first tried her out, but have since gotten used to her default settings toggle on settings. Gonna try that toggle off tomorrow for a few matches.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Just Chamber posted:

I dont know really, take a page from TF2's book and she has to charge her sniper to get the max damage, otherwise her headshots dont kill players instantly maybe.

…but that is how it works?!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mine are equipped, but I thought we used to get a wheel to choose the spray, like how we do for emotes and lines.

There's a keybind for it somewhere. Not sure if mine is the default or not but it's set to ` for me.

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Cowslips Warren posted:

There's a spray wheel but I think it's a different key from the quick spray? I think for me T is quick spray and then pressing Y brings up the spray wheel but I'd suggest looking at your keybind settings to find out which ones it is for you!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Im not saying its the correct decision but it is consistant with moira and mercy having their healing be their primary fire by default, which in turn makes a certain amount of sense given they are healers. I play moira on console and despite using her default key bindings for pc i switch the primary and secondary on console because it feels more natural to have right trigger held down constantly

But on the other hand, bap shoots with primary and heals with secondary. That combined with her attack being like Zens (as mentioned), makes it feel more natural to me to have her primary be the attack. Moira is the opposite, but her attack also isn't a shot like Zen/Bap/Kiriko. Mercy heals as primary, but her secondary (with staff out) isn't an attack either.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
I start most matches with an actionable threat about how I'm going to hunt down anyone who misses headshots, goes out of line of sight when I'm trying to heal, times ults poorly etc. Works great.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
just had our genji nanoblade while we only had 5m left to push the cart in OT, versus zero enemy ults. he got low on health so I sound barriered

zero kills. we lost

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Kiriko is really fun. Giving a support character Mei's M2 is actually just straight up great.

I feel like it's time to let Mercy use her staff and gun at the same time tbh. I actually think Mercy and D.Va's pistols are the most satisfying weapons in the game and it's such a shame that you basically never get to use them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

just had our genji nanoblade while we only had 5m left to push the cart in OT, versus zero enemy ults. he got low on health so I sound barriered

zero kills. we lost

:perfect:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

then we had a reaper on Dorado up on the balcony three times in a row. I was like "there is a reaper up there watch out" and our echo walked out there and died

then later she went a. on her own b. at half health and c. on the ground against the reaper

DOGS LEARN FASTER

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
cant teach a dps new tricks

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I like seeing more stats in-game now, although the inability of people to read them reminds me much too often of work.

There have been several matches where we won, and the enemy supports start yelling about "healer diff" because they healed a total of 24k and we 16k.

They are super useful to spot potential issues inside a team though, to either punish a good player or force a low performing one to more mistakes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cephas posted:

Kiriko is really fun. Giving a support character Mei's M2 is actually just straight up great.

she's a blast and one of my favorite support characters in any game. i do think she has a vastly higher skill floor that's going to turn a lot of people off and probably make her a bit of a meme pick in low MMR ranked, but she is absurdly deadly in the right hands

just being able to find a height advantage and double dink an enemy support already gives you more carry potential than a lot of other supports, and kitsune rush turns you into a tank killing machine gun if you can hit their heads reliably

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is anyone else losing all progress on the weekly's that track damage, healing and mitigation? They're basically all at zero now and never seem to increase anymore.

That happened to me with damage last week. Someone was saying there's a bug with skirmish or maybe "while you wait" deathmatch where it resets all your progress instead of just not counting the skirmish damage.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Splinter posted:

That happened to me with damage last week. Someone was saying there's a bug with skirmish or maybe "while you wait" deathmatch where it resets all your progress instead of just not counting the skirmish damage.

This was the reason, and it is now fixed

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Has anyone else had issues of rank not changing at all after getting the 7 wins repeatedly?

I've been promoted from Silver 3 three times now back to Silver 3. Last one was with like 7-2 result, so would assume at least a slight change. The first time it happened I figured it was reasonable, as the matches were really random and imbalanced.

Although, as I stated earlier I never even got placement matches done, but started directly from Bronze 6. So it is quite possible something is very broken in my case.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Chazani posted:

Has anyone else had issues of rank not changing at all after getting the 7 wins repeatedly?

I've been promoted from Silver 3 three times now back to Silver 3. Last one was with like 7-2 result, so would assume at least a slight change. The first time it happened I figured it was reasonable, as the matches were really random and imbalanced.

Although, as I stated earlier I never even got placement matches done, but started directly from Bronze 6. So it is quite possible something is very broken in my case.

Were you silver before?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I find the endorsement system a bit weird, it’s like I get to level 4, get 2 or more endorsements a match (healer supremacy) and then it’s like CONGRATS YOU’RE PROMOTED TO

LEVEL 4

Do you need to be hitting 3+ promotions every game?

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

spunkshui posted:

Were you silver before?

I was Diamond, but haven't played in a while.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So this is stupid but what is the “stay as team” button on PS5? I can’t remember what it was and can’t seem to find it in the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

teagone posted:

Ahh yeah, that makes sense.

Been doing it since like Season 4? of OW1 comp, lol. My OW experience has been the better for it, tbh. I haven't endured nearly the amount of toxicity that some goons have described ITT for a good long while. I could have been, I just didn't know it :haw: Though, lack of voice comms could explain why I got hardstuck around 3100ish SR, but I can also just admit to myself I am trash and refused to improve lmao.

[edit] I just want to note that I played in a goon-run Serious Overchill OW tourney several years back, and fellow goon Bittersteel was put on my team. They never used voice chat and rarely used in-game chat, but they were a consistent high master/GM player (not sure if they ever hit T500) and in general, they owned. Just saying.

Bittersteel only talked when he wanted to try and give me poo poo during those tourneys :v:

teagone posted:

Wait, is it calling me out for hiding chat? Or calling me out for doing what I'm supposed to be doing as D.Va? Lol. Dogstile just mentioned a handful of posts ago that OW2 D.Va should go bother enemies off their high ground perches and punish out of position players. Which is what I've been doing through my D.Va climb in comp. I have to boost away to do that most of the time.

Actually, RE: tank brawler chat

I hit masters 5 with D.va/Zarya/Monkey. I have one game of Rein where we played it on KR so me and the other tank went "cool, rein honour" and spent the entire game swinging relentlessly at eachother.

I think D.va is absolutely incredibly powerful, but if you don't have the game sense to know when to come back, yeah your winrate will drop. Is whoever's checking the stats including the lower ranks? I imagine she's absolutely a tank that fares worse the lower rank you go.

On JQ chat

I forced her in a ton of QP games with friends last night and its actually insane how much effort you have to put in to be effective with her than with other characters. There was a few times when I went "gently caress it", swapped to literally any other tank and immediately made game changing plays.

I actually like her kit, but it doesn't really fit as a tank and currently your reward for hitting your skillshot is "hope your team pays attention", whereas with say, hog, its "get a pick".

dogstile fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 14, 2022