Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Biplane posted:

Game pass continues to be the best financial investment of my life, this time because of Grounded, a survival game where you play as up to four kids who have been shrunk down and placed in a garden, Honey I shrunk the Kids style. I have been playing with a friend and having an absolute blast. You can customize the difficulty in all sorts of ways and being old and lame we turned off the hunger mechanic entirely, making the game hugely enjoyable. You can even reduce the spiderness of the (horrible, terrible) spiders in the game.
There's a story, where you have to locate various labs placrd in the garden and find computer chips to help solve the mystery and get back to normal size. Highly recommended for any game pass holders. And all the things in the game are little!

I keep forgetting that I have Game pass (my girlfriend uses it on her XBox and I use it on PC) and whenever I remember and boot the XBox app I realize that there are 15 games that are on my Steam wishlist that are on there for free-ish (and 3 or 4 that I actually bought).

Now I'm playing Hellsinger and it's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Grounded is really good. Wielding mosquito stingers and axes made out of mandibles while decked out in armor made from grubs and leaves is pretty awesome. Really let's you build up big bases too.

Oh and diving into the little lake for the first time and hearing the koi in the distance was a real terrifying time.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Grounded’s netcode is awful so multiplayer is a bit of a chore as a non-host but this is why I’ve leaned hard into ranged stuff. I’m wearing a sombrero made out an antlion and using a crossbow and it’s like being a HBG in Monster Hunter when there’s other players around.

Also occasionally finding tiny human skeletons, usually huddled somewhere to hide or having been dragged back to a bug lair/anthill. And one in a shoeprint which, eugh. For being “Honey I Shrunk The Kids the Survival Game” poo poo can be surprisingly dark.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the dialogue for live a live’s middle-ages chapter is entirely in iambic pentameter, I am geeking out

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Well that's a silly quirk for them to try.

SkeletonHero has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Oct 10, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's a really cool visual thing when storming Paarvo's fortress at the end of Alter Echo - one level is a series of narrow interwoven platforms that kind of increasingly resemble blood vessels towards the end of the level. Then the boss afterwards is (although described in game as a Venus Flytrap of Doom) resembles very strongly a giant beating heart. Given that the fortess IS Paarvo's body that is very appropriate.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

SkeletonHero posted:

Well that's a silly quirk for them to try.

But isn't trying something neat enough?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've not played the remake yet, but I love how Live a Live wraps up. I emulated it years ago.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BioEnchanted posted:

I've not played the remake yet, but I love how Live a Live wraps up. I emulated it years ago.

The remake is great and the localization elevates it.

Pyf little thing in games:
The live-a-live localization is really good.
Where the Japanese has silence or laughter they added in dialogue, because that sort of thing, while expected in japanese media and especially JRPGs, doesnt really sound natural in english media, and its all done by a genuinely talented voice cast with great voice direction.

Compare (theres other scenes that are better examples but theyre spoilers)

Square enix have also started to get the hang of this whole HD-2D aesthetic they made and as a result the game looks miles better than octopath.

On The Japanese side they managed to rope in some big name voice actors, which really excited me, but its wasted since they barely change the dialogue from the SNES version.

Its a very good localization and manages to uplift the remake, already a labor of love by much of the same people that made the original, into something more.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Oct 10, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i probably should have kept the JP voices for the Near Future chapter because the english ones (and the script) are not up to par with the rest of the game, but overall they really went the extra mile

one bit that comes to mind VA-wise is the imperial china chapter, where the surviving disciple calls out the name of their ultimate kung-fu move at the chapter's climax. all of them put some oomph into it, but the meekest of the three absolutely blows the roof off the place with his battle cry

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Oct 10, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Near future ill concede because thats just a mecha anime and as a huge mecha person i will not pass on the chance to hear Kouji Kabuto and Ryoma Nagare beat the poo poo out of people.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I appreciate very much that in Fire Emblem: Three Hopes, every boss I've encountered save Byleth has a stun gauge and is thus vulnerable to getting knocked back and launched into the air. This was doubly intriguing when I unlocked the Thief class and its line, who can string combos together incredibly fast and one of their combos is an area effect ice explosion that pops vulnerable enemies into the air. Thieves/assassins/tricksters can spam this combo so quickly that it's trivial to keep even bosses juggled and helpless indefinitely.

Dorothea, Jeralt, Alois, Bernadetta, Death Knight, and Cornelia so far have all been treated to a very satisfying (for me) experience with the Faerghus bouncy castle.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing a sudoku app on my phone with a bunch of variations

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm grabbing that one too, thanks. I'm completely addicted to sudoku and its variants, I keep my previous phone around solely to use for that and listening to podcasts/audiobooks.

Hope you two watch Cracking the Cryptic. They solve these puzzles every day and have their own apps. https://www.youtube.com/c/CrackingTheCryptic

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't know what to call it but being 70 hours in XB1 and still spending time running around just to mindlessly kill enemies and collect a bunch of blue spheres still has not gotten boring. There's got to be a term for this kind of effortless item farming in a game somehow being enjoyable.

Think it might help from the game music being so incredibly good. I've spent hours doing this without any other distraction, when I would normally have youtube or netflix going in the background.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Call of Duty World at War introduces Resnov, who later appears in Call of Duty Black Ops

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've been a bit harsh to Hades in the other thread. I do like the game and it has a lot of nice details.

- You have a challenge list that requires you to choose every boon a god has to offer. The game just has a pop up that tells you which ones you have not chosen yet.
- The game is usually very clear as to what something does and has helpful popups to remind me which is cast and which is special.
- They totally used that old woman posing in a field shoot as a model for Demeter and I love that :3:
- The game doesn't make bosses immune to status effects, hitting 10 stacks of frozen on Hades is awesome.
- I love that Cerberus is the penultimate boss, but you don't fight him. Instead you give him a sack of food and get a fun victory message.
- Expecting Meg and getting... not Meg was a genuine surprise.
- game is fun

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In The Sea Will Claim Everything, all the communist books in the game have red covers. It's cute!

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

moosecow333 posted:

- I love that Cerberus is the penultimate boss, but you don't fight him. Instead you give him a sack of food and get a fun victory message.

CERBERUS VANQUISHED
(His Lunch)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Although you don’t directly fight cerberus, he is your dad’s summon on the highest difficulty setting for that boss fight and he will absolutely gently caress you up

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

the new Splatoon subweapon that is a can of soda you have to physically shake the controller to power up is so loving funny to me and I can’t get enough of this thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

codenameFANGIO posted:

the new Splatoon subweapon that is a can of soda you have to physically shake the controller to power up is so loving funny to me and I can’t get enough of this thing

That was a thing in Splatoon 2 as well, and still kinda funny. I found it a bit of a pain myself, but all the worse because it's actually pretty good with how it goes off repeatedly and somewhat unpredictably.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mamkute posted:

Call of Duty World at War introduces Resnov, who later appears in Call of Duty Black Ops

the russian player character from world at war also shows up in black ops

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That was a thing in Splatoon 2 as well, and still kinda funny. I found it a bit of a pain myself, but all the worse because it's actually pretty good with how it goes off repeatedly and somewhat unpredictably.

The windup is too long for me to want to use it regularly, but yeah it is pretty funny how it bounces along exploding just right to catch someone off guard.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

You can jiggle the movestick left and right to shake faster if need be too, which helps. In fact a nice detail is that any kind of button mashing also works alongside actually shaking the controller though it def is a terrible idea what with gyro aim.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's literally the weapon where you wanna go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV727_YGAkQ

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
One that I was just reminded of because it happens to be raining dangerously hard right now: The deadlines to complete Persona 4's dungeons are almost right after several days of rain. The story explanation being that the fog that rolls in after several days of rain is a crossover from the other world the dungeons are in.

But in the actual game design it's because pretty much every activity to increase social links is cancelled on rainy days, so if you were struggling to get through the dungeon or putting it off until the last minute, the game outright gives you about three days where you have no other obligations to just laser-focus on completing that thing.

I just really like little ways where games subtly try to help out a struggling player without just making it easier.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I finally beat the Guardian in Alter Echo, so now I only have the final boss against Paarvo to go. The Guardian is a surprisingly fun fight because while it's a static enemy, it's attacks are loving RELENTLESS so you have to be very careful throughout.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another thing about FE: Three Hopes I've taken a real liking to is the merc whistle.

To elaborate, every character in Three Hopes has a set of three personal innate abilities: an active innate (generally, something that improves the character's offense, can be passive or an active use ability), a support innate (generally a defensive benefit of some kind), and a tactical innate for use on the tactical map.

Your PC, Shez, has an active innate I find rather underwhelming.

But, there is a solution! Once you enter Act 3 of the game, you get a special item that you can use to declare one other character in the game to be your BFF. And mechanically, what this does is trade your 'merc whistle' for a special item unique to that other character, that you can then equip on Shez to give them that other character's active innate.

Want Flayn's land mines? You can do that.

Want Felix's super dash? You can do that.

It's a tremendously versatile little boon for customizing your play style. Me, I went for Ingrid to create a virtuous cycle of closeted lesbian inspired ice explosion juggling.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

far cry 5 solved the problem where you do a bunch of side content and then all that's left in the plot missions in an empty-feeling world, by making it so doing any side content fills up a meter and at points along the meter it triggers a plot mission

also having the protagonist be silent is a billion times better than jason brody in 3, and several times better than fine-but-bland ajay ghale from 4

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

biosterous posted:

far cry 5 solved the problem where you do a bunch of side content and then all that's left in the plot missions in an empty-feeling world, by making it so doing any side content fills up a meter and at points along the meter it triggers a plot mission

also having the protagonist be silent is a billion times better than jason brody in 3, and several times better than fine-but-bland ajay ghale from 4

The forced story missions where the absolute worst, I almost quit the game multiple times because of it. They could have made them hunts that got more and more impossible instead, adding a cool challenge, but no, random blackout and story mission.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yakuza 0 is one of the only games I know of where you can play dice with hobos.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

biosterous posted:

But 4 makes up for Ajay with Pagan Min trash-talking you constantly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love the final boss of Alter Echo, although I haven't beaten it yet I've got to the final hit. It starts off testing your hacking and shifting ability by having you shift with his pod thing so that you can block his attack with the relevant form, then you hack him to damage him (with the last hit being the longest hack in the game by far). Then after a relatively simple boss fight just getting good at fighting him after that form is over, it ends with what in universe is basically a "creation-off" where you wrestle for control of Echo. Using a tennis match that gets ludicrously long and fast that I haven't managed yet (but the easiness of the rest of the swordfight means you get a lot of tries if you screw it up) but thematically it's cool.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Scorn came out today and it looks really good in that HR Giger Alien way

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I knew ahead of time that Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous had you building an army, but I only just learned that you get a little Heroes of Might and Magic type submode. I loved those games as a kid.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've decided to give Silent Hill 2 another go as I've never got very far in the game. I know what's coming due to LPs and things, but never managed to progress myself because I find the atmosphere really oppressive, but this time I've just solved the clock puzzle in the Apartment building, so i'm happy with that. I can't remember if I ever got here before.

I like how good it is at building it's atmosphere by loving with your expectations, like in the opening walk through the woods/graveyard the game kept layering my footsteps so it sounded like other things were on the path when they weren't, or it would play barking and rustling sounds from an unknown source to make me think a dog was nearby even though I knew it wasn't. Even stuff like putting your hand in the hole to get the clock key, the room is incredibly loud in a way that doesn't make sense because it's just full of harmless moths, but it makes you wonder what IS making that noise.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Scorn came out today and it looks really good in that HR Giger Alien way

it certainly looks really good

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll have you know it's a BEKSINSKI type of way! Not Giger!

Joking aside it is based off of the hellscapes of Zdzislaw Beksinski, a polish artist. I always considered his work to be a lot less aggressive than Giger - giger's creatures look like they want to hurt you, Beksinski's just look like they want to be left alone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s both. Beksinski contributed the looming, Cyclopean architecture, Giger contributed everything looking like a robot vagina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn’t have enough dicks.