Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What the gently caress is that supposed to mean?

It just seems like every thing he says about her is some autistic trait. Likes books and studying more than socializing, and everything she says is interpreted as rude or sarcastic. Could also just be a teenager who likes to study and is a brat, but, it just raised a lot of flags for me is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Bets are she's just "rude" because she refuses to play along with whatever stupid bullshit family dynamic they've got going on.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Noticing a lack of examples of anything she said, just vague assurance that whatever it is, it is, definitely, sarcastic. People deciding that because they don't like the content of your words then theyre going to interpret the tone as rude is a problem my dumb, spectrum-inhabiting rear end had for years.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sorry I'm still dying of laughter at "mom ring" not being a typo for "mom's ring" but actually being a ring made out of a mom

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

InediblePenguin posted:

Noticing a lack of examples of anything she said, just vague assurance that whatever it is, it is, definitely, sarcastic. People deciding that because they don't like the content of your words then theyre going to interpret the tone as rude is a problem my dumb, spectrum-inhabiting rear end had for years.

Oh yeah, that was what jumped out to me, alongside reacting to it in some of the most stunningly bad parenting choices.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dr. Stab posted:

It just seems like every thing he says about her is some autistic trait. Likes books and studying more than socializing, and everything she says is interpreted as rude or sarcastic. Could also just be a teenager who likes to study and is a brat, but, it just raised a lot of flags for me is all.

She could be depressed. She could hate the family and be concentrating on her studies until she can get out of there at eighteen. She could have any of a dozen other conditions or disabilities. I’m sure you could have used a more general term instead of further stigmatizing autism there doc.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for asking questions about my co worker's daughter

quote:

My co-worker has a daughter who has a bit of fame, she's not a celebrity or anything but she is "public", to give an idea, she's verified on twitter and has a Wikipedia page, albeit small and outdated by a couple years.

I find her very interesting and entertaining and occasionally check on her socials to see what she's up to. I ask him about her sometimes as well and he sometimes tells little stories about her.

He and his wife divorced when she was 18. On her social accounts, I've noticed she only has 3 posts in total about her Dad on Instagram, one in 2020 for his birthday, one in 2019 which was a photo with him and her brother on fathers day and one in 2016 I think on his birthday too which was an old photo when she was a child. For her mum (who still has the same marriage surname) she has a lot more photo's and posts about her and is definitely a lot more affectionate for her too.

Additionally, she also uses on her twitter and Instagram, her stage surname rather than her actual surname (aka his).

I felt like I could trust asking him how things are between him and her (an his son too), he's asked me very personal questions about my divorce in the past and I've worked with him for a quite a while and am on pretty good terms with him as a work partner and friend.

We spoke for a bit until I asked why he doesn't appear in any photos on her accounts, her sarcastically replied he was camera shy. I said fair enough. I then asked why she likes using the stage name on her twitter and Instagram (it's also the surname I think of a family that is close to her/her family) and he replied that he "doesn't really loving know" (he sounded like a mix of sarcastic,angry and disinterested). I asked a few more questions, he didn't really seem interested in answering, I could tell he was getting a bit annoyed so I stopped.

The next day, I arrive at work and he pretty much is ghosting and ignoring me. I don't think much of it until later the day when the boss comes and takes me aside and gives me a warning, apparently I was asking him "provocative" and "harassing" questions, despite him not looking too bothered when I asked them. I go and try to talk to him and he just tells me to gently caress off and leaves.

This nonsense reminds me of the crap someone in primary school would do. I've tried to contact him and nothing and I'm very annoyed at the moment and want to know did I do anything wrong?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

She could be depressed. She could hate the family and be concentrating on her studies until she can get out of there at eighteen. She could have any of a dozen other conditions or disabilities. I’m sure you could have used a more general term instead of further stigmatizing autism there doc.

I didn't mean to stigmatize it. It just resonated with my experiences growing up.

Anyways, more from the great parent:

quote:

She loves being the best. She goes to a special school for gifted kids and even there she is the top of her class. All her teachers love and admire her and she enjoys it so much

How can I not be delighted? But raising a child who is like this is hard

quote:

It sounds like you’re bothered by the fact that she likes studying, books, and school.

quote:

No I'm bothered by the fact that its the ONLY thing she likes

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As someone autistic myself, I had that read too. How is it stigmatising?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Mx. posted:

you loving dipshit

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bad Dad "I'm bothered by the fact that it's the ONLY thing she likes"

And there we have it. Girl is quiet, likes studying/reading/being on her own. Doesn't like whatever of a thousand bullshit things her dad wants her to like. Doesn't like whatever of the thousand of other bullshit things the dad himself likes. Doesn't even pretend to like either of those things.

Thus she is rude. And thus I am justified in taking away her only source of joy.

I am also interested in the fact that we don't have any instances, or even broad brush stroke ideas of how she is being rude. But also we don't know what the mum thinks, (it was the daughter being "rude" to her that started the study ban).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Stigmatizing in that there’s not enough information to immediately reach for the autism button and we’re not that far removed on these forums from using that as an insult or dismissal. As I said, saying something like “punish his daughter into not having a disability or condition of some sort?” would have been better.

EDIT: This is not to deny anyone their experiences growing up or anything, and I apologize if that’s actually what I’m doing here.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 14, 2022

TinyPairOfScissors
Oct 7, 2022

by Hand Knit

Stigmatizing in that there’s not enough information to immediately reach for the autism button and we’re not that far removed on these forums from using that as an insult or dismissal. As I said, saying something like “punish his daughter into not having a disability or condition of some sort?” would have been better.

It kinda seems like you're talking down to people who have a disability and telling them how they need to talk about it regarding posts that are obviously familiar to the poo poo that they've put up with in the past.

Kinda a bad look. If you take the word "autism" as an automatic insult then you're the one with the problem, not the people talking about it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Read the edit please. I didn’t realize this person was speaking from personal experience at first, as it wasn’t in the original reply. I was going by this forum’s horrible history with tossing that word around and overreached. It wasn’t that I thought they were using it as an insult, but that they picked it easily out of a hat of other reasons, if that makes sense.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Read the edit please. I didn’t realize this person was speaking from personal experience at first, as it wasn’t in the original reply. I was going by this forum’s horrible history with tossing that word around and overreached. It wasn’t that I thought they were using it as an insult, but that they picked it easily out of a hat of other reasons, if that makes sense.

would saying "beat the depression out of her" been stigmatizing depression? Or can we just not say that about autism? Nothing about that statement was insulting to the girl.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Once again, I did not think they used it as an insult, but that they picked it because it’s unfortunately commonly used as a quick armchair diagnosis. I have autistic people in my family so I tend to overreact, and I incorrectly interpreted it as an offhand “Oh she’s probably autistic” and I was clearly wrong. I suggested saying “disability or condition” and then backed off of that and apologized when I realized they were speaking from personal experience.

And where did physical abuse come in? At all?

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 14, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Once again, I did not think they used it as an insult, but that they picked it because it’s unfortunately commonly used as a quick armchair diagnosis. I have autistic people in my family so I tend to overreact, and I incorrectly interpreted it as an offhand “Oh she’s probably autistic” and I was clearly wrong. I suggested saying “disability or condition” and then backed off of that and apologized when I realized they were speaking from personal experience.

And where did physical abuse come in? At all?

When I misremembered the exact word they used was "punish". Because my own disorder makes my memory flaky at best.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Understandable, don’t worry about it, I just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something else while I’m piling up Ls here.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
All right now that's all cleared up let's get some of that sweet sweet content up in here

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Sorry I'm still dying of laughter at "mom ring" not being a typo for "mom's ring" but actually being a ring made out of a mom

I have family that want this and their literal only stipulation was that they not be used for engagement rings so that they can always be a protected asset from the marriage and stay within the family

Their dream is that everyone in the family do this so that eventually we're like passing down an ancestral crown or something I don't know.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Barudak posted:

I have family that want this and their literal only stipulation was that they not be used for engagement rings so that they can always be a protected asset from the marriage and stay within the family

Their dream is that everyone in the family do this so that eventually we're like passing down an ancestral crown or something I don't know.

So they want you to always protect the family jewels?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I blame MGSV.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mx. posted:

I find her very interesting and entertaining and occasionally check on her socials to see what she's up to. I ask him about her sometimes as well and he sometimes tells little stories about her.

On her social accounts, I've noticed she only has 3 posts in total about her Dad on Instagram, one in 2020 for his birthday, one in 2019 which was a photo with him and her brother on fathers day and one in 2016 I think on his birthday too which was an old photo when she was a child.

Don't mind me, just casually glancing at her social media occasionally, just idly cataloguing her entire post history going back 6+ years to make sure I've tallied every post she's made on certain topics, you know, casually

Barudak
May 7, 2007

therobit posted:

So they want you to always protect the family jewels?

Its frankly just good advice in general

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Don't mind me, just casually glancing at her social media occasionally, just idly cataloguing her entire post history going back 6+ years to make sure I've tallied every post she's made on certain topics, you know, casually

She’s entertaining. And interesting.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"My child is enjoying life too much, I have to ruin it."

*a few moments later*

"My child is disrespecting me! This is an outrage!"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

:siren: A new Parent Of The Year contender has appeared! :siren:

AITA for stopping my daughter from studying as a punishment?

This girl is going to ace the Coast Guard entrance exam.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Barudak posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The 'college bully' story has some updated info

quote:

Edit to answer people's questions

-This all happened about 7 years ago and went on for a few months

-I said in a comment that Jen tried to dm Liz but she blocked her, Jen also tried to apologize in person but Liz ignored her, that's why she tried to dm. Liz replied back before blocking, like 'I appreciate you reaching out but I don't really want to talk to you'

-Some comments asking for the extent of the bullying. So this other girl was kind of the 'ringleader', a couple of guys and then Jen. Liz is smart and very beautiful, they'd call her names, say she was wh*ring around, things like that. The major incident, as I've heard it is that the others tried to hold her down and put lemon juice in her eyes. She has big green eyes that they were jealous of. Thankfully Liz managed to get away before anything major happened. Jen was not there when this happened, she didn't know about it and was horrified. She cut off all contact with those 'friends'
...that had to be pulled from rareddit because the OP has been shadowbanned and all his posts removed.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for not handmaking cream cheese?

there are people who make their own cream cheese??

So I was thinking about this, and I bet that when the OP says "cream cheese" she actually means the filling of the cheesecake. Or whatever you call the part that's not the crust, made from actual cream cheese, sugar, eggs, etc.

That explains the juxtaposition of "the cream cheese" vs "the shell", and it makes a whole lot more sense than someone using from-scratch cream cheese to make a cheesecake.

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

Barudak posted:

Yeah my mom wants to be made into a diamond when she dies. She hasn't specified what setting she wants or who should keep it, she just thinks it's a cool idea.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Festus The Fetus posted:

Yeah my mom wants to be made into a diamond when she dies. She hasn't specified what setting she wants or who should keep it, she just thinks it's a cool idea.

Those places are all scams, they take your ashes and then give you a regular lab diamond and just say it’s made from them. The cremation process destroys all the carbon in the bones, it couldn’t be done even if you tried

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/cremation-ashes-diamonds-scam-fake

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

Those places are all scams, they take your ashes and then give you a regular lab diamond and just say it’s made from them. The cremation process destroys all the carbon in the bones, it couldn’t be done even if you tried

Thanks, I'll share with them.

It looks like its a scam or at best "we used a molecule or two of the loved one with the already prepped feeder material" but the person pushing it as all scams I see is part of the Diamond Producers Association and complains about synthetics so I think its a scam but I hope it drives him out of business.

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

Ziv Zulander posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks man!

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to give my girlfriend a ring when I proposed?

It doesn’t count if you’re not proposing with the corpse of your mom dude!

Start keeping that ring in a safe buddy, things might get weird.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

FMguru posted:

The 'college bully' story has some updated info

...that had to be pulled from rareddit because the OP has been shadowbanned and all his posts removed.

quote:

She has big green eyes that they were jealous of.

Why is this so funny? It's like something a witch in a fairy tale would say.

edit: To clarify, I do not find bullying funny, just this specific phrase is so weird.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

code:
give me your eyes

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ziv Zulander posted:

...why don't they just find a different cremation process that doesn't evacuate all the carbon, like, add a filter to the exhaust vents or something? That seems like it would solve the problem unless I'm misunderstanding?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for calling my gf and her family snobby?

quote:

My gf and her family have some snobby habits.

1. They don’t drink tea bags she insists to drink loose leaf tea and she brings a tea set to my apartment so she can make tea she likes. I just boil hot water and stick a tea bag in which is apparently not good enough for her.

2. She buys expensive things, won’t shop at Zara, Old Navy or Walmart where I like to shop but she also won’t buy things with logos on them. She will shop for hours and then go home empty handed and says they are all not right. Really? Everything in an entire mall is not right for her. I find it very snobby.

3. Everything from scratch. Like all her food including mayo and bread is from scratch. Her whole family is this way and when I went over for the holidays her mom made food she was cooking for 8 am till dinner. Everyone then wears fancy clothes and they have a differently shaped glass for every type of drink served. Even her 90 somethings grandma is dressed to the 9s even though it’s a family gathering.

4. This one she hates. She always puts pizza on a plate when she eats. I take off the lid and split the pizza onto that so I don’t have to do the dishes and she hates it. Calls it living like an animal and always gets a plate and puts on slice on there at a time. Food is always on plates and she refuses to stand while eating or even eat ice cream while walking around.

5. She doesn’t want to be seen without her hair done and dressed well. She doesn’t wear lots of makeup but she always insists she must wear some even if it’s just a buddy or my parents who she already knows.

We had an argument last week because she insisted she had to clean the apartment for her friend who was coming over with her bf. They’ve been friends for years and she still deep cleaned everything and washed her dog so she said she was going to skip on going to the sports game I was looking forward too. I had to go to the bar alone and I was pretty pissed and we had a fight about it before her friend arrived where I called her and her family snobby because who cares what her apartment looks like for a long time friend. Btw it’s clean already and no one would think it’s messy but she insists it’s respect to make her apartment look nice and me inviting her to my apartment “looking like a pig sty” makes her want to leave. My place is a bit messy sometimes but it’s not bad at all and I think she’s just snobby expecting things to look perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for calling my gf and her family snobby?

What if Goofus posted an AITA?