Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nuebot posted:

It's been forever since I read HxH: did they ever get off the boat?

One person did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
The last thing I remember was something about cereal.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It's been forever since I read HxH: did they ever get off the boat?

lol no.

Also, saying it has been forever since you read it doesn't mean a lot, given it hasn't been published for four years...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Turin Turambar posted:

lol no.

Also, saying it has been forever since you read it doesn't mean a lot, given it hasn't been published for four years...

It's been so long

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a lot can happen in 20 chapters. alternately, a single extremely convoluted battle of nen and wits can happen in 20 chapters. i'm stoked regardless.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Mafia bloodwar WHOOOO!!!

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Let's gooooo

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

hatty posted:

Last thing I remember is that someone’s Nen power was turning a gun into a gunsnake. I should give this arc a reread

It was just Gold Experience that made more sense.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I forget, was there someone with King Crimson like powers?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mraagvpeine posted:

main fuckboy/psycho prince has King Crimson yeah

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This entire arc is jojo part 6 but with powers that are consistent.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tunicate posted:

This entire arc is jojo part 6 but with powers that are consistent.

If only Araki fauls were in inconsistent powers... he is very uneven too in what he does with the characters.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

If only Araki fauls were in inconsistent powers... he is very uneven too in what he does with the characters.

I'm not sure if you can call the Parts 5 or 6 cast characters.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Togashi looked at King Crimson and decided to actually explain how it works, that is correct yes.

He then gave those powers to his Patrick Bateman insert

DeadBonesBrook posted:

The last thing I remember was something about cereal.

Can someone post the meme for that, I love it so much

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Asuron posted:

He then gave those powers to his Patrick Bateman insert

Also gave him one of the most hosed up creatures in all of Togashi's manga as a stand.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Asuron posted:

Can someone post the meme for that, I love it so much

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can't remember barely anything about this arc, but in Greed Island the main badguy touched things to turn them into bombs.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bisse posted:

Can't remember barely anything about this arc, but in Greed Island the main badguy touched things to turn them into bombs.

Genthru had two abilities. The first was Countdown which let him place a time bomb onto people if he touched them while also saying the world "bomber". And this bomb could be removed if the victim managed to touch him while saying "I caught the bomber". Genthru could also remote detonate the bombs with his partners.

His other ability was Little Flower which let him detonate the aura around his hands.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hunter x Hunter reread! Starting from chapter 340 onwards, 4 chapters a day!

This chapter made me think about how things really are in Japanese, in the original text, instead of translated. Does the Dog talk like 'This sounds urgent -> Bean' with the arrow is different in Japanese? I guess it also uses the same arrow but maybe the feeling is different for a Japanese reader. Same with Netero's son, with his name being 'Beyond Netero', lol.
I liked the incidental political explanation, how Kakin had 'the Silent Revolution' 30 years ago where they changed a lot, and they are technically now a new country, how now it's a rising economic power, the notion of G... er... V5, etc. This touch of realism also creates a contrast with the 'out there' visual elements of HxH, where Togashi does whatever he wants, like Beyond Netero having a Chinese looking armor as his outfit. Then again that's still normal looking, with the years it seems Togashi tried more daring character looks, like a few pages later we have Popeye and a robot, lol.
Here they mention parts that still are not very clear, imo, and will only be important again when the boat arc is over, and the proper Dark Continent arc starts. At first they said that the Dark Continent is taboo, but it seems there are official limited expeditions, and there is a mysterious 'gatekeeper' and specific procedures that you have to go through.
Togashi likes to link the different arcs, and here he does it with Alluka/Ai and one of the calamities shown. Actually it's even more clear on this reread, because they describe how they people 'wrung out like towels' that they have in the lab were not on the expedition, but they were killed after some people died like that in the DC. So it works like Ai power, with the curse affecting people related to the victims, wherever they may be.
In any case there is a swerve at the end of the chapter, because it seemed the Zodiacs had to hunt Beyond but he appears before them to be 'captured', in a deal with them.
It's clarified the Gatekeeper summons the Guide, who helps crossing the ocean itself. So maybe he will appear in a short Arc in between the Royal Succession Arc and the Dark Continent Arc. Apart from that, the politics continue in the chapter, basically with the V5 not wanting to lose face, and Kakin's plan being ambitious and open just to make V5 react and force them in acting, with the Hunter association being the chaperones of Beyond, at least on paper.
It's a dense chapter, also showing how the press is selling the journey to the public. Finally we have Ging appearing and entering to ruin Pariston's fun. Which is a pretty hype moment. Also there is a mention of a backup plan from Pariston where he could use the 5000 ant soldiers he has somewhere to force the Association hand, but as it never happened, it isn't clear how it would work.
Leorio reappears. Although his inclusion in the Zodiac can be a bit forced, the excuse Togashi puts is good enough: it's a PR move, after the Election's Arc he is a super respected Hunter.
There is some attention in how the recruitment of expert personnel will be done, if using the HA or some other way. This serves as moment to deepen the complicated personality of Pariston, where it isn't very clear if he loves the HA, or wants to destroy it, or maybe transform it.
This chapter has another 'classic' shot, Ging projecting so much hostility that Popeye thought for a second he was beaten to death. Seeing Pariston group is always fun. We also see Cow's powers, and Kurapica reappearing in a pretty cool scene.

Overall, they are fairly dense chapters, with new characters and setting up all the motivation and future developments.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 12, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

. Also there is a mention of a backup plan from Pariston where he could use the 5000 ant soldiers he has somewhere to force the Association hand, but as it never happened, it isn't clear how it would work..

I think this does get a little more explanation, basically that pariston has all of the surviving chimerized humans, and any remotely fair hunter exam is one they would easily pass. so he'd suddenly have 5000 super strong lackies as part of the association, making up the vast majorirty of members

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tunicate posted:

I think this does get a little more explanation, basically that pariston has all of the surviving chimerized humans, and any remotely fair hunter exam is one they would easily pass. so he'd suddenly have 5000 super strong lackies as part of the association, making up the vast majorirty of members

Yes, I think it's explained a bit later. More exactly, I think I remember it was about the eggs, he had taken the eggs from the strange trees full of them at the end of the Ant Arc.

Also, given these chapters I'm rereading have between 4 to 7 years already (ouch), I won't be using spoiler tags.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Tunicate posted:

One person did.

:ohdear:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man I just reread the Kakin arc and I am so ready.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

-This chapter always was weird in how hard Ging pushes into being no. 2 of the team by paying money (and having the condition of everyone taking the money, even if they didn't want at first), even if it was a nominal role and things would remain otherwise the same, confessing he didn't have any plan and would only give advice. It's my pet theory it's related to one of hia abilities, like being able to help, teleport to, or manipulate people that are under his wing.
-They clarify how the 'Guide' made each expedition bring back a calamity, as a lesson, which is an interesting twist. Thinking about it, then maybe the DC isn't that dangerous thing, the issue seems to be more the Guide, lol. Although maybe the fact they were lessons may they are 'minor' calamities in comparison to what's up there.
-Also, it seems health insurance is in the HxH world as bad as in USA, lol. Some guy comments how he could sell several hunter licenses in a row and that still wouldn't be enough to pay off a hospital debt for her sister.
-The final page has the reveal of the Don Freecs being the author of the fabled travel book in the DC. Which is all ironic, it seems Ging's goal all along was to find out his deadbeat of a father. Sounds familiar?

-Gon last appearance in who knows how many years, lol. There is some reflection of how his goal was to 'catch' Ging, to prove himself, but not to stay with him, who at the end of the day, is some unknown person for him.
-Ging continues his subplot of getting to be no 2. And Pariston & co are behind the temp hunters from the previous Election arc.
-Terror Sandwich/Patrick Bateman appears! A nice touch is how he doesn't go to high luxury dance clubs to take his victims, no, he is like a Saudi prince, he has personnel specialized in doing that task for him. It's always hilarious how he complains how the broads didn't know about the Liga Española or the Serie A, together Kant and Hegel, first because Togashi first the first time after 35 volumes, he mentions real world stuff in his made up setting, and second because mainstream European football and philosophers aren't exactly the same.

-Intrigues and spies, the Zodiacs side start to be aware there has to be people inside the association that are part from Beyond's group.
-It's weird how an unknown like Kurapica is easily accepted by the Zodiacs, even before he proves his utility (with the truth detector trick).
-Did you notice there is both a lawyer, a jurist and a public prosecutor in the Zodiacs? I eagerly await for a future arc about a trial, with surprise witnesses, and all that. It will be great!
-One cool way to show how badass a character is to to put other experts being amazed, like here, where they can't believe Ging's control of aura.

-Ging subplot finally ends. As you can see, it needed three chapters, that's why I always thought there was some ulterior motive.
-Beyond's people who were to infiltrate the HA failed the Hunter exam (thanks to Kurapica new position).
-There is a bit of action, just to make Ging show off some more, really.

Finally, reading 4 chapters per day is being slightly harder than I thought with my limited free time, lots of text as you know, and it isn't only quantity, some parts will make you stop and think what they mean. This is the most seinen-like Togashi has ever been.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

-Also, it seems health insurance is in the HxH world as bad as in USA, lol. Some guy comments how he could sell several hunter licenses in a row and that still wouldn't be enough to pay off a hospital debt for her sister..

The viz translation says he needs to save the hospital itself, not pay off his sister's medical debt.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tunicate posted:

The viz translation says he needs to save the hospital itself, not pay off his sister's medical debt.

I am reading Viz. I think this part confused me, as it implies he does because she is sick.

Well, whatever.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

we already know health care is a huge issue in the world, its leorio's whole Thing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's so weird to me that the world is full of weird alternate versions of existing nations and then Japan is just sittin' there being Japan.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
live from Yorknew it’s Saturday night live!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Turin Turambar posted:

-Terror Sandwich/Patrick Bateman appears! A nice touch is how he doesn't go to high luxury dance clubs to take his victims, no, he is like a Saudi prince, he has personnel specialized in doing that task for him. It's always hilarious how he complains how the broads didn't know about the Liga Española or the Serie A, together Kant and Hegel, first because Togashi first the first time after 35 volumes, he mentions real world stuff in his made up setting, and second because mainstream European football and philosophers aren't exactly the same.

Feitan's shown reading a book by Trevor Brown once while, uh, torturing the Owl from the Mafia, I think?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Another thing I noticed reading through is that Jesus canonically existed in the HxH universe. Chrollo mentions him and I can't imagine WTF HxH Christianity is

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Christ had to crucified in order to activate his Nen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if the story of the crucifixion was well known you'd think a lot more people would try what hisoka did to come back from the dead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if the story of the crucifixion was well known you'd think a lot more people would try what hisoka did to come back from the dead.

Hisoka got the idea from the period when he wanted to be a priest.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Hisoka’s revival nen is the worst thing in this entire series, not counting hiatuses. I strongly dislike the “o nen of mine” thing.

It’s also my only real dislike in the series so that’s good.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Tbf it only works because Hisoka is the second coming

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Hisoka’s revival nen is the worst thing in this entire series, not counting hiatuses. I strongly dislike the “o nen of mine” thing.

It’s also my only real dislike in the series so that’s good.

It's a low point of the series. I don't have issue with the concept, but with the execution (talking to your own nen?).

Continuing:

-They explain Kurapica's lie detector ability better, and they tease how there could be a spy: someone who doesn't know he is one, although ultimately reject that notion, through a careful argument. Typical Togashi with his love of detailed procedures.
-They start presenting the Battle Royale participants. Benjamin wrestling and strangling a lion (while he does a phone call...) is hilarious, and Tse face saying he will 'get rid of all the trash' is marvelous. What a great villain.
-Theta appears for the first time, five bodyguards per prince are going to the Journey as Hunters, to avoid the official limit of 15 people per Prince. I had forgotten this detail.
-finally the spy in the Zodiacs is pointed, Saiyu. And... the reveal is slightly disappointing, as the proper arc still hasn't started, we don't know him, he hasn't done anything, I wonder if Togashi should have delayed this scene for when it's more relevant.

-The sucession arc starts! All the Princes start appearing, etc. Here I have to confess the sheer scope of the Arc makes it one of my favorite arcs of HxH, of course you can do good stories of any scale, both 'small' or 'big', the size doesn't matter, but there is always subjective preferences and I always liked ambitious, epic stories with many factions. Also I just noticed the departure date of the boat is on my birthday lol
-HxH always felt as a 'Togashi's version of all greatest hits of shonen' from time to time, with parts that are similar to Naruto, or YuYu Hakusho, or Dragon Ball... this time it's the turn of JoJo, as now we have stands. OraOraOra! That said, in reality they work pretty different to JoJo stands, as in JoJo they basically can move them as dolls to fight through them, while here they are more like independent guardian ghosts.
-You can see how Togashi has a story outline somewhere. There is a mention of a festival they will do after arriving to the fake 'new continent', where surely Beyond will do his move and try to escape.
-Another detail I had forgotten, the Princes hiring bodyguards meant that the spies rejected in the Hunter Exam could still get in the board, that's people in Beyond's side that we have to take in account... if this mega Arc is finished one day :cries:

-Seeing Hanzo, Biscuit and old pals sure was a surprise when this episode got out, years ago.
-Halkenburg got silver medeal in archery, a reminder if he later develops a related nen skill.
-I also had forgotten how the plan of the younger wives was to hope for Halkenburg to be king, to blackmail him for his participation in the ritual, in exchange of protection I guess. Of course we know know this is a battle royale with only one survivor so that plan doesn't make any sense.
-There is a convoluted subplot about Oito doing an job offer as she was Halk because she wanted someone who could guess the offer was from Halk (as it happened), it's all very... Togashi.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Turin Turambar posted:

It's a low point of the series. I don't have issue with the concept, but with the execution (talking to your own nen?).

I think it works best as a continuation of the theme that nen becomes stronger after death, and also if you are completely insane. But yeah, not a huge fan of the way it played out.

Turin Turambar posted:

-I also had forgotten how the plan of the younger wives was to hope for Halkenburg to be king, to blackmail him for his participation in the ritual, in exchange of protection I guess. Of course we know know this is a battle royale with only one survivor so that plan doesn't make any sense.

Since no one knows that it's actually a nen ritual, they probably just assume that whether they can surrender or not depends on the whim of whoever wins and becomes king.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 14, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I get why people wouldn’t like it, but the actual execution of Hisoka showing up hosed up worse than I think anyone ever has been without dying would not have made me lol as much if he were just a corpse with blown off limbs so I like it I guess.

Also, I always thought Hisoka v Chrollo was a foregone conclusion but Chrollo really went in as hard as humanly possible to make sure he’d never have to deal with him again. It’s Hisoka’s own fault for letting him pick the time and place but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't have a problem with Rubber nen. Hisoka didn't get to walk away from the fight unscathed and it was important to the current arc to have people able to use post-mortem nen that weren't just driving angry at a single target. A major theme with how kakin utilizes nen has to do with death as a trigger or component so someone like Camilla is on the same level as Hisoka and just really confident in themselves to a fault so their nen can work even if they croak.