Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This is how I feel with a bowl of rice too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Warning: This is gonna be a long post for Thundercats nerds and you can skip it if that's not your jam.

First, BBTS has the new Thundercats for preorder and there are lots of cool photos of them like this one:

So this is really random but I was thinking again about how Willa appeared on Thundercats more often than Jaga. This was just a hunch I had, but I checked the record (via the fandom wiki) and it turned out to be totally true, and I thought it was a fun fact. It drives home how the old LJN toy line never really did justice to the show. A lot of the best characters never made the cut. Partly this is because the toy line petered out and the show kept going a couple more years, so later story elements were really underrepresented.

Obviously I am a really big fan of Thundercats. It was a legitimately cool show with great writing, art, voice acting, and music, and has held up well. It had a lot to do with outsourcing their animation to a very good Japanese studio, right before Japan really blew up as the animation capital of the world. In my humble opinion T-cats was the one 80's cartoon where the quality of the series far outshone the quality of its toys, and I'm really excited that after all these years, Super 7 are putting in the effort to make the toys it always deserved.

But anyway, my observation about who showed up more times made me want to check out some of the other notable guest stars who did or didn't get toys in the 80s, and compare the number of listed appearances on the wiki. I'll list a bunch in case anyone else is intrigued. Again, Jaga is a great point of reference as an important character, one who's in the opening credits and frequently referenced when he's offscreen, but kept his actual guest spots to a minimum for dramatic purposes.

Got LJN toys:
Jaga - 10
Snowman of Hook Mountain - 11
Ro-Bear Berbils (any) - 10
Hammerhand - 7

Got LJN toys but weren't in it as much:
Top-Spinner / Ram Bam / Cruncher (Hammerhand's henchmen) - 2
Ratar-o -6
Hachiman - 6
Driller - 4
Grune the Destroyer - 3
Captain Cracker - 3
Tuska Warrior - 3
Captain Shiner - 2
Safari Joe -2
Mongor -1
Astral Moat Monster - 1
Stinger - 0

Didn't get toys:
Willa - 13
Nayda (Willa's little sister) - 11
Snowmeow (Snowman's cat) - 12
Mandora - 8
Eggbert - 8
Turmagar (actual named Tuska warrior) -3
Snarfer (Snarf's nephew) - 33

Lunataks (main season 2 bad guys, never got toys):
Luna - 26
Amok -25
Alluro -23
Chilla (personal fave) - 13
Tug Mug - 9
Red-Eye (the only Lunatak to get a prototype from LJN, never produced) - 9

And then maybe most shockingly the "new Thundercats" Lynx-O, Bengali and Pumyra were seemingly relegated to just about 6 or 7 appearances each, though the wiki seems a little incomplete in some places. I think they didn't bother with certain minor / background appearances. I'm not sure because I don't have any other sources to go off of, other than just watching the show, but those guys definitely got sidelined a little after their dramatic introduction. I always wished they'd be in it more.

To be fair there were also a lot of very memorable characters with one-off appearances.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

After seeing how the Silverhawk figures look in person I'm too reluctant to drop any money on Super7 lines except the Godzilla one, and even then I feel like Melting Godzilla might suffer massively once we see a painted final figure.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm always kinda torn when it comes to Thundercats. I was never into the OG toys as they all looked like garbage, I rarely like anthropomorphic focused stuff in general, and Snarf sucked so much that he makes Orko look like loving Shaft. On the other hand, the show's intro is The Greatest Of All Time Bar None. It just is. One minute and seventeen seconds of light and magic, absolute audio visual perfection I could watch forever.

So yeah, torn.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

After seeing how the Silverhawk figures look in person I'm too reluctant to drop any money on Super7 lines except the Godzilla one, and even then I feel like Melting Godzilla might suffer massively once we see a painted final figure.

In my experience the quality of Super 7 figures has been consistently extremely high. The paint jobs are usually great, a few weird factory mishaps notwithstanding (like Panthro with the wrong color shorts).

Their Silverhawks have always kinda looked like poo poo from the earliest prototype images, and I don't know what's up with that. They don't usually shy away from metallic paint on their figures, but in this case for some odd reason they thought they should go with plain gray plastic for the shiniest characters ever, and it looks terrible. Their in-hand samples pretty much look terrible just like the original renders. In a way I can't be too mad, because they're saving me a lot of money by making a potentially awesome toy line absolutely stink.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Counterpoint: bluegrass comes with a cowboy hat and a guitar.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
All of the ultimates TMNT figs from S7 are great. Some have loose hips but that’s not enough for me to not want more. Paint and sculpt are fantastic.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I may need to ask in TFR but I think there’s a way to do cheap and lovely home chroming, sorta like when people home “blue” their guns. Wonder what the process would be like, cause I really want at least Bluegrass but no chrome no sale. Good sculpt though

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Vac metal only sticks to certain types of plastic and is not likely to work on those figures. It would be possible to do a pretty spectacular repaint using good model paints, but I personally don’t want to spend that kind of money for a figure that needs repainting.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I had Silverhawks as a kid, but I don't have any great feelings for them; which is good for the ol wallet.

TMNT however, bring it on. Surfer Mikey just arrived and look at this chill party dude. If we are looking at paint and sculpt, this is pretty sweet.

S7 can obviously knock it out of the park, so I'm not sure what's going on with the Silverhawks.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Eh, I just love chromed figures. Still want a proper ML Silver Surfer that’s actually chromed. gently caress, I would buy a Captain Phantasm or whatever if she was chromed despite her being a nothing character in a trilogy I hate

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There are now excellent “chrome” paints out there made for plastics. I’ve seen many figure guys use it with success

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Also I can’t remember a drat thing about the cartoon but I had Bluegrass as a kid and I loved him. Just wish he had better articulation. He was involved in many pitched battles with other random figures, and it’s that feeling that I long for. I never cared for complete collections, just used to wish everyone was to scale. That said the best part of it all was just making up stories with my random rear end collection of figs :)

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/johndevore/status/1581065013594243072?s=46&t=gxortX-ZIDXQzdbHPfyWfg

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
For chrome effects, if it's small figure you could get away with a Molotow chrome paint-pen, or a refill tank if you want to apply by brush.

If you can airbrush, Alclad II makes some really amazing chrome paints. They need a clearcoat over them though, as they're very fragile without one.

Spaz-Stix also makes some really amazing chromes. They have rattle cans as well as airbrush bottles.

AK Interactive has Super Chrome, XTreme Metal, and True Metal. Super Chrome will give a mirror finish, Xtreme for a very shiny but slightly subtler metal effect, and True Metal is a brush on wax-based metallizer similar to Rub-N-Buff, for a more burnished metal effect.

Das Werk has a very unique product in their Metal Polishing Powder. You put down a glossy black base, and then rub the powder on to turn it into a chrome finish. Harder to find than other products, but gives some very interesting results.

Beyond that just about every hobby company has their own line of metallic paints these days. Tamiya, Ammo, AK Interactive, Testors/Model Master, Games Workshop, Vallejo, Mr Hobby, etc etc. Literally dozens of options to choose from. If you search for "metal hobby paint comparison" on Youtube, you'll find loads of videos where people test out 20+ competing metal paints and you can get a good idea of the results achievable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:stare: christ, that’s a company name that needs some rebranding

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

It's Jitsu time, boys

Finally Fisto's nemesis is here. Wait, whaaat?

(yes people are mad about this thing they can ignore)

Now where's the rest of the drat wave?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I know people can be dumb as hell about toys but what's the problem with the gold pimp slap champion of eternia?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He was a bad guy and now he's not or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKFoux4sgVY

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The_Doctor posted:

:stare: christ, that’s a company name that needs some rebranding

for real :yikes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

For chrome effects, if it's small figure you could get away with a Molotow chrome paint-pen, or a refill tank if you want to apply by brush.

If you can airbrush, Alclad II makes some really amazing chrome paints. They need a clearcoat over them though, as they're very fragile without one.

Spaz-Stix also makes some really amazing chromes. They have rattle cans as well as airbrush bottles.

AK Interactive has Super Chrome, XTreme Metal, and True Metal. Super Chrome will give a mirror finish, Xtreme for a very shiny but slightly subtler metal effect, and True Metal is a brush on wax-based metallizer similar to Rub-N-Buff, for a more burnished metal effect.

Das Werk has a very unique product in their Metal Polishing Powder. You put down a glossy black base, and then rub the powder on to turn it into a chrome finish. Harder to find than other products, but gives some very interesting results.

Beyond that just about every hobby company has their own line of metallic paints these days. Tamiya, Ammo, AK Interactive, Testors/Model Master, Games Workshop, Vallejo, Mr Hobby, etc etc. Literally dozens of options to choose from. If you search for "metal hobby paint comparison" on Youtube, you'll find loads of videos where people test out 20+ competing metal paints and you can get a good idea of the results achievable.

Molotow chrome pens look incredible and they’re super easy to use, but be super careful not to touch whatever you paint for at least two weeks. It takes a very long time to properly set.

Looks awesome though, I’ve yet to find a better alternative.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I know people can be dumb as hell about toys but what's the problem with the gold pimp slap champion of eternia?

He was originally part of Skletor's crew and I guess new eternia Jitusu isn't. This is a betrayal of the highest order to the orignal canon.

quote:

His role in this episode is a mere background appearance, accompanying Skeletor and his minions in an invasion of Castle Grayskull. Not only is his name never mentioned, but he only has one line and aside from a brief display of his karate-chopping abilities, is given no development whatsoever. He is never featured in the series again, even after his figure finally hit the market, due to the producers' fears that he would be perceived as a racial stereotype.

And that last line, well you be the judge

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Yeah I'm glad the design has changed from menacing stereotype to generic bad guy/good guy

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The best part about He-Man is that despite them clearly having pants, based on Adam, Man-at-Arms, etc, more than half the people are just rocking the loincloths.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

The loincloth really needs a comeback in modern fashion

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Glad to finally have some representation of the best DBZ villain in my collection!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hit all the major toy shops in the Indianapolis area today. They're all planning on backing Eternia for store stock, that'll add another 20 or so to the tally. Also scored a lot of cool poo poo and only splashed out a couple bucks.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Picked up a triple-stand for the saber collection

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Chicago toy show next weekend and TFCon! :toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Chicago toy show next weekend and TFCon! :toot:

I'll be at the Kane show.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Hit all the major toy shops in the Indianapolis area today. They're all planning on backing Eternia for store stock, that'll add another 20 or so to the tally. Also scored a lot of cool poo poo and only splashed out a couple bucks.

Well what was it?

I saw the Sam & Twitch 2pack and Omega Spawn at Target today. They’re not for me.

This one though. I think it might be the end all be all Spawn.

https://twitter.com/joefisto/status/1581451044084940802?s=46&t=1qRhftCPRGfdKQCcjwo2eQ

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Glad to finally have some representation of the best DBZ villain in my collection!

idgi, where's Freeza?

(:v:)

I actually just got him in today, too. :hfive:

gregday posted:

Picked up a triple-stand for the saber collection

loving beautiful. And of course the best saber is up at the top.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
quick n lovely photos

Lion-O was gotten with trade credit at the Toy Pit in Indy, Speeding Bullets came from Amazon

I love 5.5 scale guys, probably gonna grab up all the DC guys next. D's Toys in Indy, gave me one free!

More 200X stuff from Grayskull Collectibles in Indy. Gifted the owner one of my printed Skeletors and he insisted on giving me something in return so I grabbed these for $50.

These stands were not essential but I wanted to have it all. I already owned both of the figures but Snake Face I bought loose and didn't see that his chest snakes were missing. Wrap Trap came sealed but his crossbow was missing. Got each one for a good price on Ebay.

So now I own every MOTUC piece. What remains are those super rare 1/10 figures that I have no compulsion to own, the original release King Grayskull with the brown cape that was breaking out of the box, again I have no need and three of the poster maps.
I would like to track down a second Queen Marlena and Trap Jaw so I an display both versions.

Aborted Classics scaled Spydor. First it failed, then the second part had layer shifts.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 16, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Preview of the InArt Dark Knight Joker. I'm exicted. I don't have a Leger Joker in the collection. I have one on pre-order though I opted for the non rooted hair. I've never liked rooted hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upfc8ymNktg

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Joe Fisto posted:

Well what was it?

I saw the Sam & Twitch 2pack and Omega Spawn at Target today. They’re not for me.

This one though. I think it might be the end all be all Spawn.

https://twitter.com/joefisto/status/1581451044084940802?s=46&t=1qRhftCPRGfdKQCcjwo2eQ

It’s very good but the Kickstarter classic Spawn is an utterly fantastic figure.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

Aborted Classics scaled Spydor. First it failed, then the second part had layer shifts.

Slap some tank treads on it, do some small paint detailing, and call it an "Alien War Tank". Or leave the treads off it. I think it looks kind of cool the way it is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i also hosed up my support settings, they're a bitch to get off.

if i wasn't so invested in the idea of a HUGE Spydor i'd quit.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bought a pair of Marvel Legends Iron Mans from a seller on eBay, Infamous Iron Man and Iron Man 2020 for $36 shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Joe, there's a new sixth scale spawn third party figure that's pretty badass looking and not comically (:haw:) oversized.

Look for Hell Dominator or Hell Commander. Either should point you towards it.