Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ok that fight in the bottom of the Tunic Cathedral, all the waves of enemies?? Uh how do I do this. I’ve gotten to the last one a few times and succumbed. It’s loving rough.

Circle the enemies and hit-and-run. I also used dynamite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

That was such a cool thing to come across. I was thinking what a cool looking glowing fox ghost, and then ‘wuh-oh’

Really cool getting to piece things together and get into the game not knowing anything. gently caress those pink spiders and the boss of the Quarry though. I do not like the parry ability.

Before I went to sleep last night I realised what I should be doing with those blocks of land with the flowers on them. Like keeping notes of where they are or drawing the layout of them. No idea what to do with them however, I’m sure it’s crazy obvious.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lol.. you can parry?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Lol. Tunic owns. double tap the shield button and pray you got the timing right the quarry boss is completely shut down by it if she does the right attacks at you because it seems like (minor mechanic spoiler if you really want to go in blind after you parry an attack, your next attack does extra damage, so a parry + gun shot is like a quarter of her health bar

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I just spammed shotgun and ran.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1580796542310838272?t=-kpnwph58D2QA6WZN2nHZA&s=19

GOAT

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I just rewatched The Thing actually lol

still whips rear end

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lmao

cat in a bucket. wonderful :3:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
I still have the PS2 game here. Gonna have to play it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

cat with a bag on his head. MARVELOUS :swoon:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the cat game to end all cat games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's, definitely a video game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

cat on a piano.

naturally! bravo!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I own a PC copy (works well with just a few tweaks) and was kinda fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wonder if my Xbox copy works on the SeX

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
:eyepop:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1580736141866590209?t=SXcdIw3Nwqy6cv6dmEapFg&s=19

:eyepop:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Wonder if my Xbox copy works on the SeX

If it doesn't straight away, you can try play it through emulation (dev mode + retroarch, no CFW, all from the MS store).

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

that’s so awesome. we finally have the power to make games look bad

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
this is like when they declared to finally make a chatbot to pass a turing test and the chatbot was pretending to be an english as a fourth language autistic child from estonia

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Guillermus posted:

If it doesn't straight away, you can try play it through emulation (dev mode + retroarch, no CFW, all from the MS store).

Pretty sure retroarch doesn't have a Xbox core and its PS2 core sucks rear end compared to standalone pcsx2

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

goblin week posted:

Imagining a horror game like this, gonna be sick

Ue5 hell yeah

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pretty sure retroarch doesn't have a Xbox core and its PS2 core sucks rear end compared to standalone pcsx2

I've had plenty of success running PS2 games on XSex

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guillermus posted:

Oh yeah I keep forgetting I can just straight up emulate poo poo on it lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think I liked greedfall more than any bioware game

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don’t even need to use dev mode to emulate in an Xbox these days

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

goblin week posted:

It's like someone filming a zero budget horror film with shaky cam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So much effort to make a game look like it was filmed on a £100 phone camera

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Which Puppet Combo game should I start with? I’ve been in love with their whole vibe since they came out but I’ve yet to play one. Murder House seems like a good option and it’s $6 right now. Watching a horror movie a day has me really craving some spooky vidya.
I just played through my first Puppet Combo game which was in fact Murder House! It was fantastic and now I’m gonna be holding it up as the bar for future Puppet Combo games I play.

I’m 100% with ya on constantly watching horror movies lately, AND playing horror games! Just got through my first playthrough of the first Fatal Frame and am now venturing into Fatal Frame 2! Spooky as heck, I explicitly avoided these games when they came out cuz maybe too scary for me at the time, but I can’t believe I never played em til now, I’m hooked!

To put this back on track on the PS5, are there Fatal Frame game(s) playable on PS5, and if so, are they any good?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ok that fight in the bottom of the Tunic Cathedral, all the waves of enemies?? Uh how do I do this. I’ve gotten to the last one a few times and succumbed. It’s loving rough.

Just did that yesterday. Minor spoilers for that fight I guess:

Start with the boss wave statue in the middle, that's the hardest one. Use a couple bombs, make sure to take care of the first one quickly, dodge slow attacks, the usual.

I don't know what I had on me but on the wave with the moblin-like fellows, I could kill them in one combo as they summoned in, so that was pretty easy as long as I didn't get blindsided by the big one.

Shoot the flyers with the, uh, fire wand thing, collect the mana, keep shooting and circling.

For the skeletons, just run around in circles until most/all are summoned, chuck a couple bombs.

Magic users are pretty easy, just keep moving, only do a couple attacks at a time.

Frog guys tend to get stunlocked pretty easy, just keep focusing one at a time or, once again, bombs.

If you need to get some mana between fights, use the equipabble that swaps your potions and chug one, don't forget about the potion status on the far right to recover everything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is reminding me of Half-Life 2 for some reason. It'd be sick to get another Half-Life game built in UE5, but I guess they have their own proprietary tech with Source and the only Half-Life game they've made in the last 15 years has been VR only lol

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Vikar Jerome posted:

Imagining a horror game like this, gonna be sick

yes i see real released bodycam footage too

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Somebody likes Escape From Tarkov.

Tbh some of those other Unreal 5 demos really hit the uncanny valley for me but that one kind of just looks like a video game with poor video quality and some shakey cam to me. The modeling on those windows is really nice though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 14, 2022

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The matrix tech demo was enough already to put my jaw on the ground. I legit thought I was just watching film footage with the real actors until an explosion or two dipped the framerate a bit and I had the come to Jesus moment of “holy poo poo this entire thing has been graphics rendered in engine from the start”.

I think it was the most truly impressed I’d been by a graphical leap since like PS1 to PS2. Kind of like a Half Life 2 moment of “woah, this tech is nuts”.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

man nurse posted:

The matrix tech demo was enough already to put my jaw on the ground. I legit thought I was just watching film footage with the real actors until an explosion or two dipped the framerate a bit and I had the come to Jesus moment of “holy poo poo this entire thing has been graphics rendered in engine from the start”.

It wasn’t all graphics though, there was live action footage in it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It wasn’t all graphics though, there was live action footage in it.

I was under the impression all of it was in engine, but even if not, just the scenes of them talking back and forth in the car looked nuts.

I realize that’s highly detailed models and lighting in the context of a controlled cutscene and wouldn’t necessarily translate to an average gameplay scenario. But it’s still cool as gently caress.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

man nurse posted:

I was under the impression all of it was in engine, but even if not, just the scenes of them talking back and forth in the car looked nuts.

In the intro scene in the white world with the chair, there's footage from real life, but it starts switching back and forth between that and 3D models pretty earily and it's really hard to tell the difference. Once they're in the city environment I don't think they ever go back to real actors.

And yeah, the constraints they're working under or lack thereof let them dedicate far more of the GPU to character rendering than a full game would

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Boy of Joy posted:

I just played through my first Puppet Combo game which was in fact Murder House! It was fantastic and now I’m gonna be holding it up as the bar for future Puppet Combo games I play.

I’m 100% with ya on constantly watching horror movies lately, AND playing horror games! Just got through my first playthrough of the first Fatal Frame and am now venturing into Fatal Frame 2! Spooky as heck, I explicitly avoided these games when they came out cuz maybe too scary for me at the time, but I can’t believe I never played em til now, I’m hooked!

To put this back on track on the PS5, are there Fatal Frame game(s) playable on PS5, and if so, are they any good?

Cool! Thanks! That one should be perfect.

I think there one Fatal Frame on the ps4/5 but I have no clue how it is.

Horror is my favorite genre by a ton but I’ve always had this weird relationship with horror games frustrating me. It’s usually in the gameplay/mechanics. I’m trying to make a conscious effort to embrace them for what they are because there are so many I ignore that I know are great. It’s the only medium of horror I don’t engage with much/absolutely adore and that makes me sad.

I really really really want to see a full game like this :sickos:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

In the intro scene in the white world with the chair, there's footage from real life, but it starts switching back and forth between that and 3D models pretty earily and it's really hard to tell the difference. Once they're in the city environment I don't think they ever go back to real actors.

And yeah, the constraints they're working under or lack thereof let them dedicate far more of the GPU to character rendering than a full game would

Yeah they aren't using footage as a shortcut, it's part of the flex. There's a bit of it right at the start and it's really difficult to tell it apart from the realtime rendered models

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
I think the easiest way to tell is the hair. It’s pretty good on the models but it’s a dead giveaway that it’s not real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boy of Joy posted:

The only Fatal Frame game currently available on PS4/5 is Maiden of Black Water a port of the WiiU game from when it was sort of a Nintendo franchise? It's decent enough but it's pretty budget and lacks the structure of the earlier games, instead being broken up into stages that have you going over the same areas. It's also a bit too easy. On the plus side it's still pretty spooky and the camera combat is good.

Early next year we're getting a port of FF4, a Wii exclusive that never got released outside of Japan before now, reportedly it's not great but has enough interesting things about it that I'm looking forward to it and not needing the Wii controller anymore might improve it.