Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

SamDabbers posted:

It will be fine, you just won't be able to manage the routing part in the Unifi interface. WiFi will still work.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't say this until I do some more learning about PFSense / OPNSense, but not managing the routing part in the Unifi interface sounds like a strict upgrade to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
You don’t even need to spend the money for one of those 4 port protectli/Qotom devices. A two port (or even 1!) mini pc will work just as well. https://a.co/d/j6hZvql $209 on Amazon for example is all you need.

I slipped by browsing Amazon while falling asleep the other day and wound up ordering a meraki go router and AP and to be honest I don’t hate it. Still needs a few more features before I can recommend it in a home setting and the 8port non poe switch is incredibly expensive but it has potential if Cisco would actually support it. They did just announce WiFi 6 APs yesterday at least.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Cyks posted:

You don’t even need to spend the money for one of those 4 port protectli/Qotom devices. A two port (or even 1!) mini pc will work just as well. https://a.co/d/j6hZvql $209 on Amazon for example is all you need.

If you have room for a SFF mini tower, you can get a substantially similar spec machine for ~$100. It has a low profile PCIe slot to add ports of your choice, and while it technically has a fan on the SOC it is inaudible. As a bonus it supports IOMMU so you can run a hypervisor on it and pass through the NICs to a router VM instance.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Probably dumb question - can someone confirm if i've figured out the mikrotik equivalent, wifi standard differences allowing, for the standard ubiquiti UDM( R if cheap and no > gig uplink needed) + additional access points of choice?

Looks like it's probably

UDM equivalent - hAP ac2 or hAP ac3 (swap c for x when they come out in a few months)
additional access point equivalent - wAP ac or cAP ac? No ax equivalent for foreseeable future though as CAPsMAN for ax isn't out presently from what I read on their forums and APs won't be out until after that.

So at present it'd be slightly slower due to the standard differences/lack of 2.5 uplink on any mikrotik stuff out yet but my speeds are ISP limited to like 200mbps at best for probably a year or two unless I move somewhere very different which isn't planned so that's nbd and I don't mind buying something else at a later time

Last little bit is that I've managed some higher end ubiquiti and mikrotik stuff before and honestly I have had a way easier time with routeros than unifi

SnoPuppy
Jun 15, 2005
I bought a house that is partially wired with CAT5E (yay!), but unfortunately the runs are mostly to be point to point between various rooms/locations instead of terminating in a single closet (boo!).

This is leading me toward an awkward network layout with more switches than I'd prefer, and I have questions around how VLANs are dealt with in multiple layers of switches.

This is a simplified diagram of the problem:

I know that DevB.3 and DevB.4 should be able to communicate since they are within the same switch and on the same VLAN. And I'm aware that DevA.2 would need to hit the router to communicate with DevA.3 because they're on different VLANs, assuming FW rules permit this.

What I'm less confident in, but I would like, is for all devices within the same VLAN to directly communicate with each other without using the router, even across switch boundaries.

1. Would this work as I hope?
i.e. Could DevA.3 communicate with DevB.3/DevB.4 without hitting the router?

2. Would basic L2 managed switches be sufficient, or does something like this need an L3 switch?
I was hoping to avoid the cost of an L3 switch since I don't need inter-VLAN routing, but I also don't want the router to be a bottle neck here.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

SnoPuppy posted:

1. Would this work as I hope?
i.e. Could DevA.3 communicate with DevB.3/DevB.4 without hitting the router?

2. Would basic L2 managed switches be sufficient, or does something like this need an L3 switch?
I was hoping to avoid the cost of an L3 switch since I don't need inter-VLAN routing, but I also don't want the router to be a bottle neck here.

1. Yep, you just need the ports on either end between the router and switch A and Switch A and switch B to be trunk ports to basically keep all the vlan info when going between. That way anything on the same vlan stays layer 2 and doesn’t inter vlan route at the router.

2. Basic L2 switch should be fine, unless your moving huge huge data between the vlans your probably not going to see any limitations from the router.

With the basic switches like netgear, tplink etc they’ll just ask to set the interface to either be tagged, untagged or excluded for the vlan, basically want to set the both vlans as tagged for the trunk ports interfaces and untagged for the access ports to end devices and exclude vlan 1 on all for as it probably won’t let you remove it.

Tagged means it includes any vlan tags when it egresses and expects vlan tags on ingress, and if there isn’t one it applies the native vlan tag.

Untagged means it strips the vlan tag on egress and doesn’t expect a vlan tag on ingress and will discard any that are applied because it’s going to add the vlan tag it’s assigned regardless.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I’m purchasing a new home 🎉

I currently have a UniFi Dream Machine but haven’t gone too deep into the UniFi hole yet with the security cameras and other networking items. Is Ubiquity the “recommended” brand to go with or is there another hotness out there before I moneysink?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

sailormoon posted:

I’m purchasing a new home 🎉

I currently have a UniFi Dream Machine but haven’t gone too deep into the UniFi hole yet with the security cameras and other networking items. Is Ubiquity the “recommended” brand to go with or is there another hotness out there before I moneysink?

Can’t go wrong with their APs.

Protect is the real money sink. The quality is really good and the app would earn you points on the wide acceptance. There are two problems:
1) cost
2) availability

You want to get the G4s because of object detection, but it looks like G5 is months away.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If your home is not that large to demand a WiFi system , IMO do not buy Ubiquiti equipment, just buy a quality router. Even if you run it just as an AP. There’s no benefit to adding extra knobs and effort.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Partycat posted:

If your home is not that large to demand a WiFi system , IMO do not buy Ubiquiti equipment, just buy a quality router. Even if you run it just as an AP. There’s no benefit to adding extra knobs and effort.

Counterpoint: It's pretty fun for a hobby/project!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Counterpoint: It's pretty fun for a hobby/project!

then that's a toy and it's Fine but it's probably not going to significantly improve the performance of your wireless devices

but again nothin wrong with a toy

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I have a small home that only needs a single AP, and I got a Ubiquiti because the ceiling mount and radiation pattern makes the most sense for where I wanted to put it and the geometry of the space I wanted to cover.

Their phone app for managing a single AP is ok, but it's also a good device to run OpenWRT if you're into that sort of thing. I like the knobs, good knobfeel.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The software, specifically their built-in 802.11 signal simulation, is also an entirely reasonable argument for buying it, if you've got a machine to self-host it on (it uses java and mongodb, so it can run basically anywhere including an RPI and comes packaged most places).

The signal simulation lets you use a building schematics, the measurements on it, and a built-in placement tool to input devices, walls (including material, density and thickness), windows, doors, and everything else.
This gives anyone a good hint about where it might be an idea to put another access point, when you adjust the one(s) you have to not send more than the devices can send, so that you instead make use of roaming and strong signal strength everywhere.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 12, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. EA7300 Linksys router. I have the below settings applied to my daughter's laptop. It does not appear to be turning off her wireless access for bed time. I have no idea why or what else to look at. It's applied to the correct system name in the network map, and I've even restarted the router to ensure the configuration is present for startup. It does not appear to work, and has not for weeks now.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. EA7300 Linksys router. I have the below settings applied to my daughter's laptop. It does not appear to be turning off her wireless access for bed time. I have no idea why or what else to look at. It's applied to the correct system name in the network map, and I've even restarted the router to ensure the configuration is present for startup. It does not appear to work, and has not for weeks now.

This is just a stab in the dark here, but is it possible that it's blocking Internet access but not blocking LAN access?

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I’m in the UK and my new customer deal for cable internet with Virgin Media is going to expire soon and go up to Łfuckno pricing so I’m looking at alternatives. The area I live in gets poo poo VDSL speeds which made me start looking into 5G options. I’ve also been thinking about mesh WiFi 6 gear. I’m having trouble figuring out what’s good here, I see mesh systems with built in 5G but I also see 5G modems I could feasibly hook up to a mesh system of my choosing. Does anyone have any recommendations in this space?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lonjon posted:

This is just a stab in the dark here, but is it possible that it's blocking Internet access but not blocking LAN access?

I don't think so, I believe she has been able to get on TikTok and the crap I specifically want to block while we're in bed. Teenagers and social media, ugh.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have the dumbest intrusive thought about that, where all the router does is deny access to dns and the laptop has custom dns settings that bypass that. But at the same time I'm not willing to believe such a poo poo implementation of denying internet access is allowed to exist.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I don't think so, I believe she has been able to get on TikTok and the crap I specifically want to block while we're in bed. Teenagers and social media, ugh.

Can you make a custom SSID for her and just turn it off when you don’t want access to happen?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have the dumbest intrusive thought about that, where all the router does is deny access to dns and the laptop has custom dns settings that bypass that. But at the same time I'm not willing to believe such a poo poo implementation of denying internet access is allowed to exist.

This is how a job I had a bit ago blocked access to websites...people would just plop in a custom dns and get past the restrictions to watch YouTube or wtvr at work. .gov dollars for you.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm not familiar with Linksys stuff, but when I've had to set parental controls on routers it was mostly based off MAC address. Is there a way to specify her device specifically using the MAC address?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not familiar with Linksys stuff, but when I've had to set parental controls on routers it was mostly based off MAC address. Is there a way to specify her device specifically using the MAC address?

Do note that some devices may be configured to use random mac addresses

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fletcher posted:

Do note that some devices may be configured to use random mac addresses

Yeah, I forgot about that. I turn that off on my phone on my home network so things don't get confused.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The displayed name in the UI is the system name. If I poke deeper in to the settings on that specific machine it does display the MAC and associates it with the entry. I need to investigate a little further as it was my wife reporting "it's not working" instead of me seeing it myself and being able to determine exactly what "not working" means. I just haven't been able to stay awake long enough to do it myself as I am no longer a teenager trying to evade bed times, I am an old fart wishing I could take a nap. It might actually be blocking the connection? I dunno.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You could just temporarily set it to a different time and for a different device and test it that way?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What is the cheapest working way to get a fast connection between my pc and server in the same room? Newest windows and linux so some driver support is required. Normall bracket, not low profile. Any ideas?

Warehouses are full of all kinds of weird used cards but I have no idea what works and what doesn't.. https://www.gekko-computer.de/en/Parts/Controller/Network-adapter-internal-25.html?page=2&sort=4

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ihmemies posted:

What is the cheapest working way to get a fast connection between my pc and server in the same room? Newest windows and linux so some driver support is required. Normall bracket, not low profile. Any ideas?

Warehouses are full of all kinds of weird used cards but I have no idea what works and what doesn't.. https://www.gekko-computer.de/en/Parts/Controller/Network-adapter-internal-25.html?page=2&sort=4

It depends how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go. I haven't used one myself but a lot of folks who are going for fast but relatively inexpensive use 10Gb network cards that have SFP+ cages and then use a direct attach copper cable that will link two cards directly together. You'd basically be making a two node network between the devices similar to crossover cables for ethernet back in the day. I believe it's important to get the direct attach cable compatible with the cards you buy, but I don't know the details. I'm seeing some cards for $35-40 on ebay and cables for 15-30+ depending on length. Some sellers also have a package for two new cards that claim to have intel chips and a cable for around $200, but I don't have experience with them and they're selling new cards so there's definitely cheaper server gear.

If you go a little more expensive there's some old InfiniBand hardware around. I believe it's a bit pricier and used a special cable but could do up to 40Gb (depending on number of links). There's also 100Gb cards out there but I think even used they're $600-700+ for the NIC so probably not worth looking at unless you need that.

There are probably goons with more experience in those specific topics but the prices on a lot of the low end higher speed stuff is coming down a little as server gear hits ebay. It's still more expensive than gigabit but I think I've been using that for 15-20 years or so at this point.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe 2x Supermicro AOC cards would be most reasonable: https://www.gekko-computer.de/en/9089.html

They use an rj45 cable according to Supermicro, so they can be used with a regular cat6a rj45 cable. No need to go to weird stuff.

Usually Intel controllers are well supported by nearly every os.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 14, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My basic question is: what's your goal? I'm assuming both systems have gigabit on board already (and if not I'm curious what hardware you've dug up). There's a pretty broad range between "I've got a personal Minecraft server" and "I want to edit 8k video in real time"

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Azhais posted:

My basic question is: what's your goal? I'm assuming both systems have gigabit on board already (and if not I'm curious what hardware you've dug up). There's a pretty broad range between "I've got a personal Minecraft server" and "I want to edit 8k video in real time"

To not have a slow connection between two computers. Even a single HDD has nearly 300MB/s read speeds these days, and read speeds are even faster in raid. Not to speak of the m.2 nvme ssd's on the server. 1Gbe caps out at 1/3 of one HDD's speed..

I ended up buying two of those Supermicro AOC-STG-i2T cards. They are not too terribly priced (100€/piece) and have two regular 10 gigabit RJ45 connectors, no fan. Intel's chipset should be fairly well supported.

I mean you can play games at 1080p 60.. but 4k120 is faster, and better in every way. So is 10Gbe ethernet compared to 1Gbe.

Those weird cards with even more weird chipsets, connectors etc. were a mess compared to something so simple and elegant like this Supermicro card appears to be.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 14, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I would have bought two mellanox connect-x 2 10gbe SFP+ cards (€30 each on ebay) and a DAC cable from fs, total price would probably be less than €100 :v:

Be aware that you will probably have to enable jumbo frames to get full throughput.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wibla posted:

I would have bought two mellanox connect-x 2 10gbe SFP+ cards (€30 each on ebay) and a DAC cable from fs, total price would probably be less than €100 :v:

Be aware that you will probably have to enable jumbo frames to get full throughput.

I read that connectx 2 driver situation might not be that good because it's so old. I looked at ebay and I could not find SFP+ cards, cheapest was 87€ from Germany and it had only one of those weird SFP+ ports: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...15&LH_PrefLoc=5

(this was the cheapest https://www.ebay.com/itm/1632779004...ABk9SR4C-ruX6YA )

Where do you find them for 30€ each?

A cable from amazon was 37€: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Compatib...C96&sr=8-4&th=1

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SFP+ ports are not weird. They're the industry standard for 10Gbe networking :v:

This is the same type of card I use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125537015114 - They work just fine in windows 10 and linux.

You can find DAC here: https://www.fs.com/c/10g-dac-1114

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wibla posted:

SFP+ ports are not weird. They're the industry standard for 10Gbe networking :v:

This is the same type of card I use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125537015114 - They work just fine in windows 10 and linux.

I was looking at products inside EU. Products from china take 1-2 months to arrive, are most likely counterfeit, I have to pay duties, VAT and a "chinese small items handling fee", I have to manually get them through customs etc. In the end it's so noth worth it to order anything at all from china.

In the end the total would probably be 100€ for 2 dodgy cards, and 37€ for the cable. So I'd save roughly 60€ and get cards with 1 SFP+ instead of 2x RJ45... it just doesn't make sense, sorry.

quote:

You can find DAC here: https://www.fs.com/c/10g-dac-1114

Cable there is priced the same as in Amazon.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

I was looking at products inside EU. Products from china take 1-2 months to arrive, are most likely counterfeit, I have to pay duties, VAT and a "chinese small items handling fee", I have to manually get them through customs etc. In the end it's so noth worth it to order anything at all from china.

I wasn't aware that Germany was even more backwards than Norway on these things, the only thing we pay here on top of shipping is VAT, and ebay collects it for me.

Make sure that AOC-STG-i2T card has plenty of airflow.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wibla posted:

I wasn't aware that Germany was even more backwards than Norway on these things, the only thing we pay here on top of shipping is VAT, and ebay collects it for me.

Make sure that AOC-STG-i2T card has plenty of airflow.

Maybe ebay has improved the process since last time I used it. I'm still not keen on buying anything from chinese counterfeit lottery.

Also the sfp+ thing doesn't seem to be very good. Cables are many more times expensive than regular cat cable. Also cables longer than 7m don't work, while you can do 100m runs with cat cable. The connectors have weird pull tabs etc. Nothing really looks good with that setup.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 14, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Also the sfp+ thing doesn't seem to be very good.

SFP+ is mostly wasted on home users that don't run fibre across a property or similar, the main value is that you can find very cheap second-hand cards that work very well. Of course that means you have to be willing to play the lottery*. And you clearly aren't. That's your choice to make.

*It's not much of a lottery, you have to really work at getting poo poo cards on eBay, even from China.

Ihmemies posted:

Cables are many more times expensive than regular cat cable. Also cables longer than 7m don't work, while you can do 100m runs with cat cable. The connectors have weird pull tabs etc. Nothing really looks good with that setup.

DAC cables (and their sibling, the AOC cable) are mainly used for short runs inside racks or in the same room. For going further, you use a very cheap (€23) multi mode fibre transceiver, that lets you go 300 meters, or a single mode fibre transceiver, that lets you do up to 100 kilometers (depending on the transceiver you buy, 10km ones cost €33, 100km costs €677). Try doing that with cat6.
The pull tabs for DAC/AOC cables are made that way to make them easy to get out of an SFP+ slot in a switch/NIC, they're not designed to please your sense of aesthetics. I prefer them that way, they're easier to deal with than cat cables :v:

Also a PSA, you need properly terminated Cat6a cable to go 100m with 10gbase-t, if you have regular Cat6, it's down to 45-55 meters, and if you terminated them yourself, well... good luck.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 14, 2022

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If the computer and server are in the same room, you could connect them via Thunderbolt/USB4 and have even more speed

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Inept posted:

If the computer and server are in the same room, you could connect them via Thunderbolt/USB4 and have even more speed

I was going to mention 25gbe cards, but he updated his post with the 10gbase-t stuff before I got around to it :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Ihmemies posted:

Also the sfp+ thing doesn't seem to be very good. Cables are many more times expensive than regular cat cable. Also cables longer than 7m don't work, while you can do 100m runs with cat cable. The connectors have weird pull tabs etc. Nothing really looks good with that setup.

In addition to the stuff Wibla mentioned - The cables are more expensive for DAC, but 10GBase-T usually costs more per NIC/switch port than SFP+ although it's been coming down.

DAC also uses less power and allows you to change the media type out for something else if needed, both of which are pretty great in a server room when you might have a thousand ports in a rack and a variable number of them are fiber runs. Not that it matters to you, but... I'm not sure why the length does either. You said these computers are in the same room, is a 7m run not good enough?

I mean, don't let me change your mind - if 10GBase-T is a lot cheaper at your vendors, I'd buy it for home use too. Just explaining why DAC exists, mostly.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 14, 2022