Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If the MS deal goes through I highly doubt they'll continue with yearly releases. Selling tons of copies of games is not at all Microsoft's core business model and if they're going to be on Game Pass anyway then their incentive is to get as much out of a single game as possible, not spend millions and millions of development dollars flooding the service with endless variations of the same game. Even assuming they keep it on Playstation for the foreseeable future, I would be willing to bet that microtransactions are way more lucrative than the one-time purchase price of the game, especially considering the price of the game is only like four times the average cosmetic bundle. There are a huge number of studios working on the various Calls of Duty that could be better utilized making new games and I would be surprised if Microsoft isn't well aware of that.

Volte fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Big time agree, seems clear that Activision has yearly releases for consistent annual revenue and that otherwise no one likes that model. MS gets consistent and reliable revenue from subscriptions, so no need to pump CoDs out and drag the community from game to game.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Do I play Scorn with my morning coffee or do I wait for Friday night

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Don’t play it at all and play Prodeus instead.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!
Blowdeus

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

ZeeBoi posted:

Do I play Scorn with my morning coffee or do I wait for Friday night

It doesn't matter as long as you jerk it while watching.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dyson Sphere Program is up for pc and it’s pretty cool. It’s daunting how far I have to go from my dumb little iron smelters!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If you're gonna play prodeus just play og doom. It's better.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can and should play both

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

hatty posted:

You can and should play both

Gamepass keeps winning

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Volte posted:

Selling tons of copies of games is not at all Microsoft's core business model

Now there's a thread title.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Prodeus is a 6/10 shooter that could have easily been 8/10. Great arsenal, great level design, poor bestiary, mind-boggling bad checkpoint system. Monsters with perfect projectile tracking is a cheap AI trick and is completely at odds with a fluid run and gun playstyle, and some of the enemies are weirdly balanced, like Lost Souls being the most important priority target in the game due to their speed and damage. It really drags in the middle part (the Prodeus dimension) and picks up again at the very end. If it had proper checkpoints I could overlook a lot of these problems, but the fact that you can just respawn when you die makes trying to get good at and pass individual encounters basically impossible. I enjoyed my time with it but probably won't revisit it any time soon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
I thought it was massively overhyped.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Prodeus was good.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Prodeus owns especially if you’re actually good at the game and never die so you don’t complain about the checkpoints.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

American McGay posted:

Prodeus owns especially if you’re actually good at the game and never die so you don’t complain about the checkpoints.
Did you play on Very Hard difficulty?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Is the first Guacamelee game worth getting if you have the sequel? Not fussed about story reasons but more if the sequel makes it pointless to go back because it's better at everything or if the first game is still worth playing because it's just A Fun Game? Haven't fired Guacamelee 2 up yet so was wondering.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Scorn has more polarized reviews I have ever seen lol. I'm seeing everything from 2's to 9's from review sites. of the first 2 big YT reviewers that come up for me, one is making GBS threads on it and the other is gushing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Perfect gamepass game

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's a walking game that seems like it's more style than anything else. Which is fine, I just think you'll either really like this game or not.

Edit:

hatty posted:

Perfect gamepass game

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Scorn has more polarized reviews I have ever seen lol. I'm seeing everything from 2's to 9's from review sites. of the first 2 big YT reviewers that come up for me, one is making GBS threads on it and the other is gushing.

Nothing will ever top Deadly Premonition in this regard. Guinness gave the game a world record for critical polarization a few years after the game's release because of it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Volte posted:

I enjoyed my time with it but probably won't revisit it any time soon.

hatty posted:

Perfect gamepass game

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

and the other is gushing.

...what kind of "gushing?" This is actually relevant in this case.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't wait to see where I land on it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

univbee posted:

...what kind of "gushing?" This is actually relevant in this case.

Lol.

Skill Up really liked it, but made comparisons to Death Stranding in that there is nothing wrong with the game, but you will probably either love or hate what the game sets out to do.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

veni veni veni posted:

So, with Halloween Ends it's the day of polarizing media.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
there’s no way halloween ends is getting good reviews

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
everyone's relieved that the halloween franchise can stop now

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Lol.

Skill Up really liked it, but made comparisons to Death Stranding in that there is nothing wrong with the game, but you will probably either love or hate what the game sets out to do.

I'm usually on the love side of love-or-hate games so :yeshaha:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Game where you don't actually do anything while playing it *drake making the yes face*
But there's weird gross stuff on the screen at all times *drake making the no face*

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

American McGay posted:

Game where you don't actually do anything while playing it *drake making the yes face*
But there's weird gross stuff on the screen at all times *drake making the no face*

Turn on your monitor

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I've been playing Coral Island and enjoying it quite a bit.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised games are allowed to mimic other games to this extent without any issue. All the graphics and everything are original, it's obvious they put a lot of effort into it, but it's very blatantly Stardew Valley with some extra Animal Crossing features.

Like, it's almost exactly Stardew Valley. Even the town layout is similar.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Playing Scorn and well I'm stumped.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
me so scorny

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Played Scorn for half an hour and just kind of wandering around. I think I'm too dumb for this

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’m gonna be laid up on the couch for a week and Medieval Dynasty looks like it’ll be a good companion. I’m only a few hours in but it controls decently and it’s giving off Oblivion vibes, but without anything supernatural.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Wiltsghost posted:

Played Scorn for half an hour and just kind of wandering around. I think I'm too dumb for this

Exact same. It's pretty much like if you put me in an abandoned advanced factory irl. I can push buttons and make random pieces of machinery jerk around but a brand new car is never popping out.

I looked up the solution to the first puzzle and it was so long and complex I knew it wasn't for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
It sounds a bit like Amnesia games, which are my jam.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, this puzzle where you have to move the eggs around is making my finger hover over the uninstall button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Wiltsghost posted:

Yeah, this puzzle where you have to move the eggs around is making my finger hover over the uninstall button.

Once I got my head around the outline of what the puzzle was going to be it seemed like a lot of time and frustration just to open up another puzzle.

I will say the game is gorgeous. It looks like the concept art you see of movies and games where they're much more cool and detailed than the finished product except Scorn actually looks like that.