Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Doesn't this just drop the rook? What's wrong about Qf6?

Queen on a1 defends the rook on h8. 1...Qf6 2. Qd7+ Kb8 3. Qxd8+ leaves you down a pawn in the endgame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ah man it's been a long day today thank you.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

poe meater posted:

If i wanted to learn chess, should I use the chess or lichess app (or something else)?

Anything that works offline?

When you are bad (like me) it's good to learn from the lessons and things on those websites, but don't just play computers. Low level computers are bad in an entirely different way than low level people. Computers tend to do a bunch of smart things and then throw in insane blunders.

People do consistently stupid things (and then throw in insane blunders)

You're more likely to beat a human using a strategy you've learned that isn't necessarily the best but is higher than their level. A computer is more likely to block your strategy and then hang a queen. The former is going to teach you more than the latter.

Both of those services will match you with humans just as bad as you, so a+. It'll take a while for the matching to get your level right.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Glad you guys saw that discovered pin. I didn't get it right but the solution made me smile. Discovered pin and exploiting the single-coloured weakness of the bishop was :chefkiss: for a puzzle.

Redmark posted:

My hypothesis is that people rage at chess because of the stereotypical connection with intelligence. So when you lose you feel like you got outsmarted and that stings.
Instead I look at it like any other video game. If I'm in a winning position and hang a piece, that's like playing Street Fighter, dropping a 2-frame link and getting reversal supered by some button masher. It doesn't mean anything other than "lol practice your combos".

That's definitely part of it, personally. That threshold where I cross from solid game to the blunder just instantly releases this strong disgust. Mental toughness is just another skill to work on in anything.

I think some of the strong emotions tied to it can also be attributed to how much character each game has. It's like writing a story every time. You can show a player an interesting game they had a while ago and if they follow it move-for-move, they can definitely "feel" back in the seat again if that makes sense. So going from a great game to a massive blunder is like following an epic story where the hero goes to the bathroom, slips, hits his head and drowns in a urinal. It's an abrupt shift in emotional state.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Oh, and a reasonable way to start is to watch a couple of lessons about basic rules and how pieces move, but not too many.

Then play some ten or twenty minute games and do some puzzles. If you're losing on time, increase your time control. If you feel like you're rushing, increase your time control. You want to be able to think while you're learning.

Once you feel like you're at a wall, go learn an easy opening like the London that will get you to the middle game without worrying and avoids all the beginner gimmick mates people will throw at you. Gotham chess has reasonable basic opening tutorials on YouTube. Don't learn a dozen openings. Learn one to get you started.

At some point in there you'll get to endgames where you have a bunch of pieces but feel like you can't checkmate the other player. When that starts happening, go learn the two rook mate that'll work with two rooks or a rook and a queen and is the easiest way to mate someone. Then learn how to mate with a queen and a king. This covers any situation where you can get a pawn to the end. Those two will cover you enough to start.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

former glory posted:

I think some of the strong emotions tied to it can also be attributed to how much character each game has. It's like writing a story every time. You can show a player an interesting game they had a while ago and if they follow it move-for-move, they can definitely "feel" back in the seat again if that makes sense. So going from a great game to a massive blunder is like following an epic story where the hero goes to the bathroom, slips, hits his head and drowns in a urinal. It's an abrupt shift in emotional state.

I always have a game going with a buddy where you can take up to three days on a move. Realistically we probably don't spend more than five minutes on a move but it gives us time to leave moves until it's convenient. It's a special kind of irritation when you spend six weeks getting to a balanced end game and then hang your queen because you made a move too quickly because your bus stop was coming up or whatever.

Also that long between moves makes the wait to text him about how stupid my move was incredibly frustrating. You need to wait until they move in case they miss the blunder (in which case you get to laugh at them too), but I immediately want to share the dumb thing I did.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I'd caution against the London.

If you don't have any aspirations of chess improvement and enjoy the kind of game the London gives you, then sure go nuts.

But if you do want to get better etc then the London is questionable.

First of all your trading opening simplicity for middle game complexity. Kicking the can down the road instead of dealing with it.

The London as an opening is the RTS game equivalent of saying "15 minutes no rush no attack" it doesn't fight for the centre, and it tries to avoid any kind of conflict for the first 10 moves. It exposes you to one, maybe two kinds of pawn structures and leads to very similar games over and over.

It's not objectively bad or anything, it's like the French, it's own special weird case that happens to work ok. But I actively dislike it being touted as a newbie friendly opening, something that seems like may even be done because it's easy to explain it a reasonable length YouTube video than actively helpful.

Again caveat, if you are more interested in just playing some games and doing ok than learning about chess and improvement then it's fine, do what makes you happy.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I ran into this chess puzzle and cannot understand why the solution is what it is.

The next move is 1. Nd5, followed by 1. ...Qxc1 2. Nxe7 which is where the puzzle ends. The top engine moves afterward are 2. ...Kh8 3.Rxc1 Rxc1 and if you keep going from there, white loses the knight with a pawn as compensation. Black stays up a pawn throughout the sequence, yet stockfish has this as the only winning line for white. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Baronash posted:

I ran into this chess puzzle and cannot understand why the solution is what it is.

The next move is 1. Nd5, followed by 1. ...Qxc1 2. Nxe7 which is where the puzzle ends. The top engine moves afterward are 2. ...Kh8 3.Rxc1 Rxc1 and if you keep going from there, white loses the knight with a pawn as compensation. Black stays up a pawn throughout the sequence, yet stockfish has this as the only winning line for white. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

The knight creates a discovered attack when it moves, so you should look at all the moves the knight has. By going to Nd5 white is attacking the bishop which is only defended by the queen, so if black would want to move his queen to evade the rook's attack then it needs to go to a position where it can still defend the bishop. However, if the queen moves to the d6, d7, or d8, then the knight would again be able to create a discovered attack by taking the other night on f6, with check, and black would lose the queen afterwards. As such, after Nd5 black can choose between losing the bishop (with check, and white will also be able to exchange his knight for the rook on c8), trading his queen for a rook on the d file after Qd8, Nxf6, Rfxd8, or trading his queen for a rook via Qxc1.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

The knight creates a discovered attack when it moves, so you should look at all the moves the knight has. By going to Nd5 white is attacking the bishop which is only defended by the queen, so if black would want to move his queen to evade the rook's attack then it needs to go to a position where it can still defend the bishop. However, if the queen moves to the d6, d7, or d8, then the knight would again be able to create a discovered attack by taking the other night on f6, with check, and black would lose the queen afterwards. As such, after Nd5 black can choose between losing the bishop (with check, and white will also be able to exchange his knight for the rook on c8), trading his queen for a rook on the d file after Qd8, Nxf6, Rfxd8, or trading his queen for a rook via Qxc1.

Right. I get what the knight is threatening with that move. I missed the puzzle because I saw that sequence and discarded it because it was an even trade that cost most of my major pieces. With engine assistance, I can see that making this move puts me in a position to eke out a slight advantage over the next 20 moves. I think I missed something about the position that would have made it easier to see that it was a good tactic.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 14, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
At the start, black is up a pawn. At the end of the long engine sequence that trades everything off and reaches this position:

the sides have equalized material and the engine thinks white has a huge advantage, probably because white still has a queen and black has a vulnerable king and bad pawn structure

it's probably not a great puzzle to just show you the two moves Nd5 and Nxe7, but the puzzle creator probably spat it out because the engine sees this as the beginning of an extremely winning line even though what it's winning isn't a big material advantage

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Lex Fridman interviews Hikaru on his latest episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJNvxYEcVAY

I haven't listened to it yet, but he's my standard podcast for all my runs and he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is ~down with the Hikaru vibe~

Nearly 3 hrs- it must be fun.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

former glory posted:

I haven't listened to it yet, but he's my standard podcast for all my runs and he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is ~down with the Hikaru vibe~

I've been listening to it off and on, it's pretty good. His with GothamChess a week ago was also very good.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

former glory posted:

the hero goes to the bathroom, slips, hits his head and drowns in a urinal.

I see you've been going through my game history.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
:siren:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Sam Sevian Vs Hans

Sam picks up Han's king off the board, decapitates it and then tosses it back lol

https://clips.twitch.tv/AmericanHardCarabeefUWot-28dDCxGfGnWfHBnq

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
lmao if it turns out that Hans was never cheating, he's just so goony that his opponents' brains break out of sheer rage

apparently it was Hans's turn too?!

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

https://clips.twitch.tv/TolerantBoldAppleSuperVinlin-0Cf8XDEZebL3fU10

This angle is even better. Sevian is goony enough in his own right that I can't tell whether he had an extreme mental lapse or is just ice cold.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Salt Fish posted:

Sam Sevian Vs Hans

Sam picks up Han's king off the board, decapitates it and then tosses it back lol

hahaha, I thought you were metaphorically describing Hans getting blown out. You were not.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Truly bizarre moment. Hana seems fine about it in the post game interview so I think it was just Sam spacing out and doing something weird.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Lmao what the hell

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Decapitating Kings (Also, the Chess Thread)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Salt Fish posted:

Sam Sevian Vs Hans

Is that on hans' turn too?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol what on earth

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Is that on hans' turn too?

Yes

:psyduck:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

they all hate him so much lol

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Can you buy the chess pieces they use at the US Chess Championship? They are dummy thicc.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
apparently he noticed the cross on the king was loose and suggested to have it glued???

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

poonchasta posted:

Can you buy the chess pieces they use at the US Chess Championship? They are dummy thicc.

I think all the st louis chess club tournaments use similar pieces and they sell them after the tournaments for $2500 a set. I wonder if they will sell this broken set after the tournament.

https://www.houseofstaunton.com/the-2021-sinquefield-cup-official-chess-pieces-the-pieces-used-in-the-actual-tournament-dgt-enabled.html

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 19, 2022

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

And for what it's worth, those pieces are a pretty classic design of the Staunton variety, I usually see them referred to as a "craftsman" set based on another variation that was sold decades ago. You can find many variants, they are largely made in India so you can order directly from some websites for about $200-250 for a good set. Just make sure you get one with a king at least 3.75 inches, pieces for a full sized chess board usually have 4 inch kings.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I received this YT stream announcement through work. The link will be active at that time.

Thursday at 1 PM EST, 10/20/2022
Authors: Bogumil Kaminski
Title: Unpacking and reading the data for analyzing Lichess puzzles database with Julia
Description: An analysis of the relationship between the chess puzzle difficulty and popularity, from fetching the data from the web and uncompressing it to building a prediction model and visualization with Julia.
YT link: https://youtu.be/bYdflpkr9FU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks for sharing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

former glory posted:

at the end he's asked "you can be any person for 1 day, living or dead. who do you pick?" and hikaru gives the worst answer ive ever heard to that type of question: "i'd be elon, when the rockets were blowing up"

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
that's completely in character for hikaru

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fart simpson posted:

at the end he's asked "you can be any person for 1 day, living or dead. who do you pick?" and hikaru gives the worst answer ive ever heard to that type of question: "i'd be elon, when the rockets were blowing up"

an answer so bad it's actually kinda impressive

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

vyelkin posted:

an answer so bad it's actually kinda impressive

yeah when he said elon i started rolling my eyes but when he added on "when the rockets were blowing up" i actually bust out laughing

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
That’s an incredible answer lmao

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The podcast he did with Magnus in August (so pre all the cheatgate stuff) is more interesting imo.

Magnus is the best chess player who's ever lived and he doesn't even, in a traditional sense, study chess. He doesn't solve studies or do tactics training or analyse his past games.

Reading between the lines it seems to me the big reason he doesn't want to play the World Championship (at least in its current format) is that is necessitates crazy deep preparation focused on just one opponent and Magnus hates doing that. He literally turned down working with Kasparov when he was younger because the first thing Garry did was ask him to analyse games he lost.

It's kinda crazy that every single piece of advice anyone will give you to improve your chess - tactical exercises, opening prep, endgame practice, puzzles etc - the best chess player ever is like "nah, I'm good I'll just think about chess subconsciously whilst I play tennis with my buddy all afternoon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Most folks here have probably seen it, but Magnus did a video where another GM set up chess positions from different games, and he named the games they were from. He not only remembered a position from a game he played for a youth championship nineteen years earlier, but was also able to recall key moments from the game being played next to him during that tournament.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC1BAcOzHyY

All that to say that when Magnus says he doesn't study chess, I think that means a very different thing to him than it would to most people.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 20, 2022