Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

dear reddit my girlfriend is too good for me, how i can make her understand this is her fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...why don't they just find a different cremation process that doesn't evacuate all the carbon, like, add a filter to the exhaust vents or something? That seems like it would solve the problem unless I'm misunderstanding?

That would require capital investment for a specialized kiln, a facility to run it and workers to staff it. Then customers would have to ship the body there for processing, unless you build one in every city.

Or you could just have them cremate locally, and ship you the ashes in a box to throw away.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...why don't they just find a different cremation process that doesn't evacuate all the carbon, like, add a filter to the exhaust vents or something? That seems like it would solve the problem unless I'm misunderstanding?
Doing that is less profitable than the current strategy of “lying your loving rear end off, knowing that your customers can’t tell the difference anyways”.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

All crematoriums (at least in the more developed nations) already have an after-chamber that's used for scrubbing pollutants from the exhaust. Venting poo poo into the atmosphere tends to be highly regulated. But the crematorium filters are in place to regulate particulate emissions, with an emphasis on metals (think people with prosthetic joints or mercury dental fillings, or people who get cremated wearing sentimental jewelry). The carbon output is mostly in the form of C02, and the majority of that comes from the fuel used for the cremation; the figures I've seen estimate around 500 lbs of carbon exhaust when cremating a 180 lb body. Even if the gem-makers addressed the issue and were honest about the process, there wouldn't be a lot of market for "a gem made of partly mother but mostly made of kerosene".

Yes, there are ways to reduce a human body into its constituent elements and then crystallize them, without adding a bunch of extra carbon from combustion. But all those methods are sort of messy. The most common alternative right now is alkaline hydrolosis, which is essentially putting a body into a pressure cooker filled with lye and turning it into slurry. It's gaining in popularity, much like cremation did in the 60s and 70s, but it will probably take a few more decades before it becomes mainstream.

Ultimately, I'm not sure that it really matters. Dead people (presumably) don't give a poo poo, and the survivors are typically more concerned with healing and going through the grieving process. When someone is mourning a loved one, sure, you can tell them that the gem isn't really made from their loved one. You could also tell them that their loved one isn't in heaven because souls don't exist and heaven doesn't exist, but it's cruel and unproductive and saying it pretty much means that you're an rear end in a top hat. There are valid concerns about the cremation gem industry's environmental impact, predatory pricing, and exploitative sales techniques. But all those concerns are applicable to the funeral industries as a whole, regardless of their specific method of corpse disposal.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
One of those things where it's a lovely predatory industry, but if it makes someone feel better to be wearing grandma, you don't take that away from them

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for calling my gf and her family snobby?

Finally. A woman who makes her own cream cheese.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for getting mad at my half sister when she begged me to babysit and telling her I didn't sign up for any of this?

quote:

My half sister and I are very close in age because my dad cheated on my mom while she was pregnant with me. Mom kicked him to the curb when she found out and dad ended up married to my half sister's mom. When I would ask why my half sister had her parents together and I didn't, they would tell me my mom was a mistake in their relationship. For the longest time they would imply my mom had been the other woman, an affair my dad had. So one day I asked my mom if she had known my dad had been married when she got pregnant with me. My mom told me it had been her she was married to, not my half sister's mom. She even showed me their wedding photos which I had never seen before. My dad and his wife then told me it had worked out for the best. I told him I didn't think so because my half sister had what I never would, her mom and dad together. He tried to convince me I wanted that for my little sister more than myself. I said I didn't. I told him how it would have been nice to have my family all together.

That started quite a tension filled household. Which was followed up by my half sister telling me not to go home to my mom, that her mom was better anyway and I should stay with her/them, and me saying no, and her being hurt, and then we'd fight and my dad would get angry at me and he'd tell me to get over it.

When I was 16 I had enough of dealing with my dad and his wife and their refusal to see where I was coming from. My half sister and I argued. She told me my mom had won and had stolen from her mom again. I told her that her mom was the affair partner, not mine. That my parents had been married until dad decided he was going to go out and cheat. She called my mom some names that insulted her appearance as an excuse for what dad did. I told her to consider us no longer related. She told me that wasn't fair. I was putting my mom before her. I told her I would always do that.

We're both 18 now and my half sister had a baby recently. She fell behind in school a few times and she has just started her senior year of high school while I graduated and started community college. My half sister called out of the blue and told me she needed me to babysit so she could go into school and talk to some of her teachers. She said her parents were at work. I was so mad at her for asking me. I told her no. She told me I signed up for that stuff when I became a sister. I told her I signed up for none of it. That all of that had been out of my control and was not something I asked for. She got upset and called me a bitch. Then my dad started blowing up my phone about making her miss the chance to talk to her teachers and upsetting her because she didn't deserve what I said.

AITA?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tobermory posted:

Ultimately, I'm not sure that it really matters. Dead people (presumably) don't give a poo poo, and the survivors are typically more concerned with healing and going through the grieving process. When someone is mourning a loved one, sure, you can tell them that the gem isn't really made from their loved one. You could also tell them that their loved one isn't in heaven because souls don't exist and heaven doesn't exist, but it's cruel and unproductive and saying it pretty much means that you're an rear end in a top hat. There are valid concerns about the cremation gem industry's environmental impact, predatory pricing, and exploitative sales techniques. But all those concerns are applicable to the funeral industries as a whole, regardless of their specific method of corpse disposal.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

One of those things where it's a lovely predatory industry, but if it makes someone feel better to be wearing grandma, you don't take that away from them

This is the same arguments people use against exposing mediums. And I completely disagree. These people are defrauding people while they are vulnerable, taking money from them that they might not have ( because of cause they offer predatory finance options).

And it doesn't equate to religion at all.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't see it as the same thing. A medium can completely change someone's memories of a loved one, it's loving cruel. This is just "Grandma may be in that ring, she may not, but it makes me feel better to think she is"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Mega Comrade posted:

This is the same arguments people use against exposing mediums. And I completely disagree. These people are defrauding people while they are vulnerable, taking money from them that they might not have ( because of cause they offer predatory finance options).

And it doesn't equate to religion at all.
talking in neutral situations, like this one, or in other public forums, or when nobody around you is currently in active mourning but you see an opportunity to bring it up so that people can learn about how predatory the industry is: very good, educates people, spreads the important word that it's a scam

telling a person actively grieving right now that the jewelry piece they care a lot about is bullshit lies that they got ripped off for and their beloved family member is loving gone and they're stupid for wasting their money: cruel

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm not really talking about people who have already bought one. The money is gone, no point rubbing salt in the wound.
But anyone thinking of getting one or just talking about it in general? Then it should be described as what it is, fraud.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
We should all just do sky burials. We have failed at turning bodies into diamonds, but the process for turning bodies into a bunch of crows has millennia of refinement.

And honestly, I'm only kind of joking when I say that, there's something kinda nice about that thought.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

We should all just do sky burials. We have failed at turning bodies into diamonds, but the process for turning bodies into a bunch of crows has millennia of refinement.

And honestly, I'm only kind of joking when I say that, there's something kinda nice about that thought.

Unfortunately due to the amount of medications humans take now a days especially just prior to death, sky burials have a tendency to result in death of the birds and have been scaled back in the places that still practice them.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don't see it as the same thing. A medium can completely change someone's memories of a loved one, it's loving cruel. This is just "Grandma may be in that ring, she may not, but it makes me feel better to think she is"

My dad dumped a poo poo load of money on a medium after my mom died. I was in my 1st year of med school and I barely had time for the funeral. My fiancee's mother was dying of cancer at the same time. What a poo poo year.

He didn't tell me that she took her own life for almost a year after her death, and I assume that all the "discussions" my dad says he had with her through the medium were to assuage his own feelings of guilt after her death.

I personally was super glad that I had the opportunity to move past her sudden death and then get to start all over when he finally got around to telling me what actually happened. At least the medium convinced him to tell his children how their mom actually died. So thanks I think?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Barudak posted:

Unfortunately due to the amount of medications humans take now a days especially just prior to death, sky burials have a tendency to result in death of the birds and have been scaled back in the places that still practice them.

:negative:

Fine, I guess I'll just die into the dirt like a boring person.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just want my body tossed out of a helicopter. Wherever I land, that's my grave. I don't care if it's White House lawn. Just keep the dogs away.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The Lord of Hats posted:

:negative:

Fine, I guess I'll just die into the dirt like a boring person.

Just get put into one of those seed pods or some poo poo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
With any luck, my bloated corpse abandoned in my backyard will provide ample incubation for a multitude of parasitoid wasps and maybe some strain of fungi. Like a nice mushroom or whatnot.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
You can always donate your body to forensic crime labs so they can teach others about decomposition

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You can always donate your body to forensic crime labs so they can teach others about decomposition

Most of those body donations end up going to the US military for target practice.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most of those body donations end up going to the US military for target practice.

That sounds awesome, cut me to pieces with a 50 cal and then blow me the gently caress up. That’ll be the funeral.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Just donate your body to me Seth, I’ll take good care of it.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Just donate your body to me Seth, I’ll take good care of it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just want my body tossed out of a helicopter. Wherever I land, that's my grave. I don't care if it's White House lawn. Just keep the dogs away.

what if you land on a person

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Andrast posted:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
It's their grave now too, you have to share

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Andrast posted:

You get a thousand points.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i dont think professional attire means exposing one's armpits unless you're like a personal trainer or something, and then it doesn't matter

personally i think they can meet in the middle and sister can simply braid her armpit hair to create a tidier appearance

Found video of armpit woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8cXVe6N6Oc

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Soylent Pudding posted:

She told me I signed up for that stuff when I became a sister.

Hahahahahaha gently caress you

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That means she could resign from her position as sister.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

AITA for telling my colleague that she basically called her newborn daughter Luigi?

quote:

I'm an Italian woman who works for an Italian company that has a close working relationship with a few American companies. More specifically I am the Italian liaison of a kinda big department in one of these companies, so basically everything that my American colleagues decide comes through me and I relate it to my Italian colleagues.

In the years I've worked there I've made good friends with some of these American colleagues and this past summer one of them, S (F early 30s), invited me to her house in the US. I had been in the US many times before that, but always for work, never for leisure, so I was really happy!

It's the 4th of July and S has organised a nice party; I meet other people who work for the same company but whom I didn't know, amongst them M (F mid-late 20s) with her newborn baby girl Gigi. I'm not big on children so I mostly ignore the baby, but I talk to M for a while and with other people too.

At some point in the evening M tells me that her husband is Italian too and they wanted to choose an Italian name for their baby to honour his ancestry and they went with Gigi. I knew this name was used for girls in the US, but I didn't know someone thought it was an Italian name. So I tell her that while Gigi exists in Italy as a name, it is not a girl name and in Italy there's a law that says you can't name a child with a name that it's traditionally used for the opposite gender and "neutral" names do not exist.

She's like "what do you mean?" and I tell her that Gigi in Italy is a nickname for Luigi and that if she comes to Italy and introduces her child as Gigi Italians will think she has a little boy named Luigi. At this point poor M starts wailing, sobbing that I'm just being mean, I'm making fun of her, I'm jealous of her (??), saying that her daughter is not named after a stupid videogame character. I tell her that Luigi (and Mario too for that matter) are completely normal Italian names, that have existed for centuries or even thousands of years before the creation of videogames. This does not calm her down at all.

M is having a nervous breakdown and someone calls her husband (who was at work) to come pick her up. They leave shortly after and I realise I've inadvertently ruined the party for everyone.

Aita for telling this girl her baby's name is not what she thinks it is?

just lean into it imo, buy the baby a bunch of green hats and overalls

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

why say anything. like, did she want some pasta to go with her foot with how ravenously she devoured it?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to give my girlfriend a ring when I proposed?

If we search reddit long enough I guarantee there's the reverse of this post where the girl otherwise would have accepted a proposal, but is freaked out that the guy gave her a dead person ring.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for telling my colleague that she basically called her newborn daughter Luigi?

You wanna name your little girl Ashley? But historically that's a boy's name! You fool. All my friends in the old country are laughing at you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

This one's so weird. It's tough to really get a read on how OP came across, but I think it'd be pretty easy to sound weird explaining to someone you've never met that "that's a boy's name, they're gonna think you have a little boy". But then, going into hysterics and breaking down over that is just bizarre.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
AITA for canceling my date with my boyfriend because he was 7 minutes late?

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 1/2 years. We've always had an issue when we go out to breakfast because he's most always late or isn't awake. I actually have a post on this in my post history.

The last time my boyfriend and I went on a breakfast date he didn't wake up and I waited for 30 minutes before I just decided to leave.

Today he told me to show up at 9:30 am for breakfast. I was excited and he texted good morning so I knew he was up and so I got ready and left. I got there about 5 minutes early because I believe it's not only polite but sweet because I was excited. I waited for him until he got out of the house around 9:37 am. I felt upset and disappointed, and while driving there we began to argue and he was upset I was early because "he's never early" he said; and I'm upset because he's always late or not awake. He's been working a lot lately and is tried so he told me he took a longer shower to wake himself up which caused him to be late. I said we should just not go out because if we're upset we won't even enjoy it so I drove us back home.

I've always valued being on time or early as important. Another side note is that I am showing signs of autism and my therapist wants me to get tested, and apart of autism is routine. I've always had issues when routines break.

AITA for canceling my boyfriend and I's date because he was 7 minutes late?

EDIT FOR THOSE WHO ARE CONCERNED ABOUT HOW HEALTHY OUR RELATIONSHIP IS:

I just wanted to say this. We both did indeed come from really toxic environments. We took what we learned from these environments and just replicated it in our relationship. It was toxic and our relationship was not healthy. We both used to do lovely stuff. More so him, but I've seen so much improvement in not only in him but myself. We don't have any issues now at this point in our relationship. Our communication is healthy (or at least I believe). This is one of our only big problems we seem to face lately and I'd much rather deal with this than something else.

He is my best friend. He makes me laugh harder than anyone else. He encourages me to constantly be a better person. He himself has changed and become a better person. I understand that this isn't realistic, but I find that on most things we are able to work together and change our own behaviors to figure things out. Maybe not timing, but really, I'd pick time issues over anything else any day.

Again, yes, we had a very messed up relationship at first. It sucked, but together we've learned what a healthy relationship is not only through counseling but we've done a lot of reading on relationships through books and research. I love him dearly. I understand that not everyone agrees on us being together because of our past but because of it I am a better person. I probably would have ended up in a relationship just as toxic because of my behavior, but lucky we were able to figure it out together.

Seven loving minutes. For a morning date? Give me a loving break.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, everyone's weird in that one. On the one hand, how hard is it to smile blandly and nod when someone you barely know explains their baby's name to you, but on the other hand, why do you care that much what someone you've never met thinks of your baby's name.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

That's what first came to mind when someone said 'sky burial' Either that or burn up in Low Earth Orbit re-entry. I was trying to figure out how boosting someone to space was eco-friendly...

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

AITA for canceling my date with my boyfriend because he was 7 minutes late?

Seven loving minutes. For a morning date? Give me a loving break.

r/relationships: FOR THOSE WHO ARE CONCERNED ABOUT HOW HEALTHY OUR RELATIONSHIP IS