Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

lilljonas posted:

So I committed battletech today and picked up a box (IS heavy lance). The FLGS only had two IS lance boxes and two Clanner star ones, none of the actual starting boxes or rulebooks. I don't think there's much of a local BT scene, so I'm looking at painting up at least two sides myself. After looking around, the Free Rasalhague appeals to me, both as a filthy scandigoon and that I like several of their paint schemes. The Hatchetman also feels suitably space vikingy.

I don't know of a local BT scene so I plan to paint up two forces. Right now I'm thinking of Lyrans, Kuritans and/or mercs/pirates for IS opfor, and Wolf and/or Ghost Bear for Clanners. By the time I've painted up these four mechs, I assume the new Alpha Strike box should be available.

We in da same FB group, saw your post there. Hi! Also a Nordicgoon (Finland), perhaps one day we’ll meet on the battlefield. Who knows, maybe someone in your city sees your post on FB and you get some games going. Happened for me. Or just convert your friends

If you’re totally unfamiliar with the rules at this point, you can get the basic quickstart rules over at https://bg.battletech.com/downloads/

But do bear in mind that these are simplified rules that don’t use the full record sheets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

a cyborg mug posted:

We in da same FB group, saw your post there. Hi! Also a Nordicgoon (Finland), perhaps one day we’ll meet on the battlefield. Who knows, maybe someone in your city sees your post on FB and you get some games going. Happened for me. Or just convert your friends

If you’re totally unfamiliar with the rules at this point, you can get the basic quickstart rules over at https://bg.battletech.com/downloads/

But do bear in mind that these are simplified rules that don’t use the full record sheets.

Yeah I have at least one person in my regular gaming club that has shown interest in trying it out, so I think I can get some games going as long as I do a bit of the legwork myself with assembling the minis.

I'm not completely new to the game, I played it a bit way back in the 90's as a teenager since my dad had the old box with the paper standees. So I kind of remember the concepts, but will need a large dose of refreshing.

I got some good advice in the FB group, I might start by assembling two forces based on the Ronin War. That could open up for both FRR and Ronin as well as Loyalist Kuritans.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 12, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i can't recommend enough that new players use the automations in flechs sheets. i'd never play this game with its truly heroic amnount of chart lookups and dice rolling (LRMs :() without it

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I had to create a meetup group to find local Battletech players and I'm running the first event soon. It feels a little overwhelming but I found the Death From Above walkthroughs very helpful as a refresher. They play using the 3d terrain rules from TacOps but also explain everything in terms of hexes (which I think is way simpler).

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6cVOAOWCow6LNG_clZc1DgzHJs19OveV

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

SirFozzie posted:

Plotline: "Company of misfit mechwarriors get hired as private security on some godforsaken Periphery world. Said bunch of misfits realize that while they're caught out in the Periphery, they really got a sweetheart deal, so they want to keep this going for as long as possible, because well, they're getting paid to walk around in their battlemechs and look tough, but don't have to DO anything." So they're trying to figure a way to convince their employers that they need to renew the contract.."
[b]

Running a MW Destiny campaign and doing a similar setup of a merc company in the middle of nowhere. Slowly building up a bit of a conspiracy around things that are slowly coming to a head and what looks like an invasion from a neighbouring military is imminent.

And then the players found a large cache of stolen gold so surprise motherfuckers its Three Kings/Bad Company time.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Running a MW Destiny campaign and doing a similar setup of a merc company in the middle of nowhere. Slowly building up a bit of a conspiracy around things that are slowly coming to a head and what looks like an invasion from a neighbouring military is imminent.

And then the players found a large cache of stolen gold so surprise motherfuckers its Three Kings/Bad Company time.

That’s a funny way of spelling that it is Kelly’s Heros time

E: the t-34 dressed up to be a Tiger is a medium mech with a papier-mache Atlas head on it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Marx Headroom posted:

This looks awesome btw, mentally screenshotting that glass effect on the shoulder

GD_American posted:

This is really, really loving sharp looking.

Thank you both for your kind words. The Mackie is has always held my interest, though the older metal models don't quite do it justice in my mind so when I found this version I snapped it up and had a lot of fun painting it-- the model comes in several parts with the legs, pelvis, torso and arms all being separate, so there is some freedom to re-pose it if so desired. I think the original sculptor was BishopSteiner.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Good news: Mercenaries kickstarter date set.
Bad News: Late MARCH 2023.

Reasoning is they just have too much in the pipeline to have the designs complete for their original goal of Late Q4.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Well, they did just do a Shadowrun kickstarter to try to capitalize on Edge Runners, so that's not unexpected.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm glad they're getting other products done first

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Adepticon gonna be lit

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

If I understand the update it's a good idea, they're basically saying that instead of forcing the kickstarter for a Q4 launch and then have a long dragged out production time they'll make sure that the sculpts are done first and make the production time shorter.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I appreciate not trying to budget for a kickstarter during the holiday season

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

lilljonas posted:

If I understand the update it's a good idea, they're basically saying that instead of forcing the kickstarter for a Q4 launch and then have a long dragged out production time they'll make sure that the sculpts are done first and make the production time shorter.

That's the way they're pitching it. Hopefully they don't get dicked on shipping again.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If you aren't literally Apple or Amazon you will always get dicked on shipping.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Ok, a couple friends who are Battletech fans asked me to flesh out that little bit of fanfiction I posted, now I'm trying to figure out the other folks in a "Kelly's Heroes/McHale's Navy" unit in battletech

Rules: Late Succession War Mechs only, this is the Periphery after all.

Quick thoughts on some more quirky types and their Mechs:

We already have an Archer pilot who is a George Hamilton type (always sunbathing, The Dude Abides type).

A Stinger pilot who's normally super jittery and frantic outside of the mech, but calm when piloting the mech "It's the only time where the world and my brain are running at the same speed"

A monk (New Avalon Catholic, or a stoic Kuritan samurai-wannabe type) who's taken a vow to never speak. so he totes around a vocoder with preprogrammed statements to communicate (probably a Whitworth or something similar)

The Resident Scrounger (I dunno, a Clint?) who's liable to steal anything that isn't nailed down, and will bring a claw hammer to remove said nails if he can get away with it. Has appeared on six planetary militia "If you catch this guy around your equipment, shoot to kill, no questions asked" list.

The CO, who bought out his son's post-academy service term to have him train these whackaloons. Mostly absent otherwise.. "What I don't see, I don't have to care about. My job is to keep the unit running, and ignore anything that doesn't interfere with said unit's smooth running." (Grasshopper)

The main character, who's going to be the straight man for the backdrop of insanity (Centurion)

Vehicles:

A couple lances of Savannah Masters, led by a couple "Speed freak" types, who are always "practicing maneuvers" (ie, having Savannah Master races that have turned on more than one occasion into full contact contests, close to Demolition Derby. (They were restricted to quarters when not on duty until they had fixed the damage done from collisions and sideswipes at 100+KPH)

Infantry: All in the pay of the Scrounger, and complicit in his schemes.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 13, 2022

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Savannah Masters are probably too high tech for what you're going for. They have a fusion engine and are basically still Steiner-only at the time. I'd go with the J. Edgar instead.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finished three more mechs today, including a non-combat construction mech. I doubt we'll see official non-combat mechs from Catalyst for awhile, but there are plenty in lore.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

SirFozzie posted:

The Resident Scrounger (I dunno, a Clint?) who's liable to steal anything that isn't nailed down, and will bring a claw hammer to remove said nails if he can get away with it. Has appeared on six planetary militia "If you catch this guy around your equipment, shoot to kill, no questions asked" list.

Infantry: All in the pay of the Scrounger, and complicit in his schemes.

Please, it's not 'scrounging' or 'stealing'. It is Tactical Resource Procurement.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rorahusky posted:

Please, it's not 'scrounging' or 'stealing'. It is Tactical Resource Procurement.

Leader of the Fungible Asset Recovery Team

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rorahusky posted:

Strategically Taking Equipment And Liberating Supplies :colbert:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Taking House Equipment For a Time

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Chainclaw posted:

Finished three more mechs today, including a non-combat construction mech. I doubt we'll see official non-combat mechs from Catalyst for awhile, but there are plenty in lore.

Do you mean "more" official ones? Because TRO: Vehicle Annex is a book full of non-combat vehicles, power armor, and mechs. There are also a bunch of ones here or there in different products.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Rorahusky posted:

My grandfather was a quartermaster in the Army Air Corps. He called it requisitioning.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PhotoKirk posted:

My grandfather was a quartermaster in the Army Air Corps. He called it requisitioning.

Having been in the army, supply people are absolutely the best/slimiest thieves you’ll ever meet.

Get them on your side and keep it that way, elseways lots of expensive things go missing suddenly 🤔

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Do you mean "more" official ones? Because TRO: Vehicle Annex is a book full of non-combat vehicles, power armor, and mechs. There are also a bunch of ones here or there in different products.

That's a book, not models, though. I was talking about official models. I know Iron Wind Metals has a bunch, but I was hoping for Catalyst made non-combat mechs. Their models are much higher quality than IWM's

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

PhotoKirk posted:

Do you know how many thieves are in the Army?

One.

Everyone else is just trying to get their poo poo back

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Interesting sentence from the blurb to TRO: Dark Age

The Blackout was a notable event, but what of the decades before that, usually ascribed as being part of this “Dark Age”? Conversely, the effects of the Blackout did not magically disappear with the rise of the ilClan, and lingered until several years after the Last Annihilation. Of those decades before Gray Monday, what made them so dark? Really very little, it turns out. The Republic of the Sphere succeeded in stabilizing the core of the Inner Sphere...

The Last Annihlation? Sounds like sooooomeclan is about to have a really bad time.

Hell's Horses? Ghost Bears? (remnants of the Nova Cats?).

Reasoning: Hell's Horses is picking up the banner of the Mongol Horde tactics.
Ghost Bears: About to undergo civil war thanks to the ilKhan's snit
Nova Cats "The Last Annihlation?"

Either that, or Clan Wolverine's going to show up

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think all those TRO blurbs are getting pretty softly retconned. I believe they're remnants of the old story that got thrown out after Ben Rome didn't get paid and the line developer changed.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That would be a lot more likely if some of them hadn't been written well after that.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Oh.

Maybe the Last Annihilation is a Homeworld clans showing up to kill all the Inner Sphere clans thing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Gonna laugh my rear end off if it's the Wolves getting combo dunked on by the rest of the IS Clans.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The noble Tetatae Federation shows up show up to try to prevent the last two humans from killing eachother in the next episode, "Let That Be Your Last Annihilation"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yeah, additional targets/victims could be the Homeworld Clans (Yo dawg, I heard you like Clan Invasions so I made it so clans are invading clans, with a potential counter Clans invading Clans option), the remaining Melvina-supporting Jade Falcons following the Mongol Horde terror tactics, being an Annihilation of the IDEAS of the Mongol Horde, but a new favorite is Wolf's Dragoons. They have the temerity to not stay dead or down at the hands of the ilKhan, and recently pissed him off even more by taking his progeny and giving them to other Clans.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

SirFozzie posted:

the remaining Melvina-supporting Jade Falcons

How many can there even be??? I thought the Jade Falcon warrior caste had been reduced to double digits.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

wtf why would anyone ever think a clan mech is better than an inner sphere mech. This is finally proof that inner sphere design is better:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

That would be a lot more likely if some of them hadn't been written well after that.

On the other hand, since they're no longer doing large time skips, maybe they're not particularly worried about explaining this vague stuff because we won't see 3250 in print until the 22nd century.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

How many can there even be??? I thought the Jade Falcon warrior caste had been reduced to double digits.

Stephanie Chistu killed one of these to become khan after the ilClan Trial (and nothing of value was lost) so they definitely still exist. It seems like a reasonable place to get some internal conflict that's still meaningful with the reduced numbers but I doubt it flares up to a big extent any time soon if ever.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We have a different Jade Falcon group now so the authors are free to kill those guys off. It's for the best, until they do it we have to spend a bunch of time specifying which Jade Falcon Clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Everyone else had to deal with Clan Wolf, Clan Wolf-in-Exile, the Kell Hounds, the Wolf's Dragoons, and later the Steel Wolves and Wolf Hunters being slightly different flavors of the same thing for decades, you can handle a couple years of the Falcons doing the same thing. :colbert: