Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

If you watch the The Anarchists documentary you can see a few crustpunk anarcho capitalists who are into crypto who might count. Probably the only way to thread that needle.

Crustyuppie is a type I had no idea existed until watching that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You'd think. An interesting part of the documentary was seeing poor anarcho capitalists realizing that if you weren't rich it kind of sucked.
almost as if wealth by its nature alone establishes hierarchy and is a de facto means of coercion.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

almost as if wealth by its nature alone establishes hierarchy and is a de facto means of coercion.

Well yeah, sadly hardly anyone realized that they got the paradise they wanted and that it really sucked. Including the documentary maker, to a point :shrug:.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

If you watch the The Anarchists documentary you can see a few crustpunk anarcho capitalists who are into crypto who might count. Probably the only way to thread that needle.
I found it funny that doc was titled that since I knew it was going to be ancaps since real anarchists would way too concerned about OPSEC to do an HBO doc interview

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

achillesforever6 posted:

I found it funny that doc was titled that since I knew it was going to be ancaps since real anarchists would way too concerned about OPSEC to do an HBO doc interview

I loved that they waited for a good episode or two to really lean into the ancap stuff so you had a week of anarchists being all 'woah these guys seem cool, can't believe HBO is putting out our stories' before we hit guys like 'I WILL DIE TO DEFEND AND INSTALL A BITCOIN ATM IN EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD'.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i say swears online posted:

literally better than the show

that's because the Finrod rock opera unironically owns

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dumpmaster General posted:

I loved that they waited for a good episode or two to really lean into the ancap stuff so you had a week of anarchists being all 'woah these guys seem cool, can't believe HBO is putting out our stories' before we hit guys like 'I WILL DIE TO DEFEND AND INSTALL A BITCOIN ATM IN EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD'.

Lol maybe I should finally watch this

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

DaysBefore posted:

Lol maybe I should finally watch this

it's really good, it goes exactly how you probably imagine a multi part documentary on an anarcho-capitalist movement goes

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUugZ3DxH8

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Anarchists taking all the Ls this year, especially after most of them have melted their brains over the war in Ukraine.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Goon Boots posted:

how is the lord of the rings show by the way

i haven't heard much talk about it other than "good heavens, a black elf!" stuff so I assume it has been middling (earth)

As someone who also saw it in its original run, I would describe it as a lot of spectacle that was unable to cover up a bad idea. The show did some really interesting things from a technical perspective: They made heavy use of both a rotating stage section as well as sections of the stage that could be raised and lowered; A bunch of the performers did some impressive acrobatics in the fight scenes, with the majority of the Orcs wearing what I can only describe as "pogo-shoes" to pull off sick flips; and they made some pretty effective use of stilts and puppetry for the Black Riders.

All that said, these technical achievements could not make up for the fact that trying to condense an almost 1200 page trilogy of fantasy novels into a three and a half hour musical is an absolutely terrible idea. Major sections of the story had to be modified, merged or omitted entirely and even with all that the story still felt rushed. Oddly enough they still included the Scouring of the Shire at the end?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou_xvXJJk7k

Joey K and her friends

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Most were skeptical of the show to begin with then got a good laugh (and a loud "of course it is") at how it's about anarcho-capitalists. At least there's one group of people the anarchists and authoritarians join hands together in dunking on and it's the right wing libertarians.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is the title a deliberate dunk on libertarians by highlighting how they think they're anti-authoritarian but in reality they're as bad as the Tories or is HBO just dumb

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Ask a Mortician talks about how her prior video on a largely forgotten ship accident was flagged as in violation of community guidelines for bullshit reasons and now she's hitting the robot wall of slience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN5hNzVqkOk

I posted it here before because it was really cool but I'll relink it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCHt2MOVCbg

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DaysBefore posted:

is HBO just dumb

It's the latter, the documentarian seems to be on the side of one of the subjects and while they're all ancaps the editing is very careful to work around that phrase.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

secretly best girl posted:

It's the latter, the documentarian seems to be on the side of one of the subjects and while they're all ancaps the editing is very careful to work around that phrase.
That makes it sound way funnier tbh

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It is. I was writing it off until Minion Death Cult covered it and it's a combo of dumb filmmaker and even dumber subjects and that's before you get into the most obvious ending to the saga. Go in blind if you watch it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_p7TyZEDig
Love when Phelan does these

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KingKalamari posted:

As someone who also saw it in its original run, I would describe it as a lot of spectacle that was unable to cover up a bad idea. The show did some really interesting things from a technical perspective: They made heavy use of both a rotating stage section as well as sections of the stage that could be raised and lowered; A bunch of the performers did some impressive acrobatics in the fight scenes, with the majority of the Orcs wearing what I can only describe as "pogo-shoes" to pull off sick flips; and they made some pretty effective use of stilts and puppetry for the Black Riders.

All that said, these technical achievements could not make up for the fact that trying to condense an almost 1200 page trilogy of fantasy novels into a three and a half hour musical is an absolutely terrible idea. Major sections of the story had to be modified, merged or omitted entirely and even with all that the story still felt rushed. Oddly enough they still included the Scouring of the Shire at the end?

honestly don't remember any of this in rings of power

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

i say swears online posted:

honestly don't remember any of this in rings of power

You might be joking but I can't tell. They're talking about the musical version of LotR

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Goon Boots was probably asking about how the Amazon TV show is. KingKalamari misunderstood and referenced the stage musical that was already being discussed in the thread. i say swears online is joking about that.

I, the joke explainer, am now logging off.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The amazon show is, not terrible and has been improving in fits and starts, but also not good and has so many weird-rear end decisions. Like slo-mo everywhere, slo-mo and dramatic tragic music playing after some characters escape from some orcs, as if boromir just died instead of an action sequence ending. And then this bizarre sleuthing thing between Elrond and Durin where motivations seem to change randomly throughout the episode, idk like they come up with a Cool Dramatic Character Moment but then forget how to do the legwork to get the characters there

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

That makes it sound way funnier tbh

secretly best girl posted:

It is. I was writing it off until Minion Death Cult covered it and it's a combo of dumb filmmaker and even dumber subjects and that's before you get into the most obvious ending to the saga. Go in blind if you watch it.

Yeah, I was going to chime in with Minion Death Cult's take. They're technically an online reviewer since they've done some collaborations with people covering bizarre right wing media :), even if mostly just as a podcast. Shame that their The Anarchists takes are mostly behind the Patreon wall.

There seemed to be some pretty deliberate editing to support a narrative of "Well, the issue wasn't necessarily the base ideology but the people and one villain/a few problems that doomed this community." Which, yeah, hearing that the documentary maker seems to be at least libertarian adjacent and married to a big anti-vaxxer who worked on the film made some things make a little more sense. And on top of that it does seem like people in the community were trying to basically co-opt cool anarchism talk because they knew that anaracho-capitalism stuff was a much harder sell.

Still pretty interesting though since the documentary still covers all the big stuff, has some solid interviews and since they're fine with mocking the an-caps it's like 90% unaffected. The politics seemed to just keep them from twisting the knife or digging deeper at the end. Although it has modern documentary disease where it's probably at least an hour too long. I know he was there recording for 6 years, so 1 year an episode made sense but it ends up dragging in the middle. Also a warning that it's got a little True Crime stuff in the middle including a trip to a Mexican morgue. No gore or anything beyond a blood puddle but it's still really horrifying. It was a busy week and half their freezers were broken so at one point they just walk past a rough stack of body bags in a hall corner.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Nuns with Guns posted:

Goon Boots was probably asking about how the Amazon TV show is. KingKalamari misunderstood and referenced the stage musical that was already being discussed in the thread. i say swears online is joking about that.

I, the joke explainer, am now logging off.

Regardless of my inability to follow simple topics of conversation, I think we can all agree that any given adaptation of LotR could be improved by the addition of pogo-shoes.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

i was indeed asking about the amazon show

before posting that, i was unaware of a lord of the rings musical(??????) and am now enlightened

what in the world

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i still miss That Awful Sound

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Goon Boots posted:

i was indeed asking about the amazon show

before posting that, i was unaware of a lord of the rings musical(??????) and am now enlightened

what in the world

I can't say I knew either but I'm mostly now looking forward to the surely inevitable Wait in the Wings video on it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Alaois posted:

i still miss That Awful Sound

Same, I legit didn't discover it until it was already dead and that's the saddest

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Chad Jihad posted:

The amazon show is, not terrible and has been improving in fits and starts, but also not good and has so many weird-rear end decisions. Like slo-mo everywhere, slo-mo and dramatic tragic music playing after some characters escape from some orcs, as if boromir just died instead of an action sequence ending. And then this bizarre sleuthing thing between Elrond and Durin where motivations seem to change randomly throughout the episode, idk like they come up with a Cool Dramatic Character Moment but then forget how to do the legwork to get the characters there

I think the episode directors are a bit too drunk on the enormous budget and no specified episode length constraints. So they feel the need to show the gorgeous vistas and expensive effects in slow-mo to make it all feel epic.

One thing that has noticeably increased since the show's debut: Tolkein-explainer channels being boosted by the Youtube algorithm. I didn't know about them before, and now they made up 80% of my youtube front page.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jessie gender's 4 hour takedown of Matt Walsh got removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8aSRhS9P1A

I was like three hours in and I'm livind, this sucks!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This was great. Though I fear it coming out now mean that we won't get another entry in the Mandalore Halloween Insane So-Bad-It's-Good Game series.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

This was great. Though I fear it coming out now mean that we won't get another entry in the Mandalore Halloween Insane So-Bad-It's-Good Game series.

he confirmed on twitter one is coming

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Famethrowa posted:

he confirmed on twitter one is coming

Excellent.

I recently discovered someone who had added the streams Mandalore did of Anonymous Agony. They got so drunk on the stream. So frighteningly drunk...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJpo62L3y9o

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

LanceHunter posted:

A couple weeks ago he streamed a couple games that definitely fall into this category, and I expect we will get a video about one or the other at some point. Or we're finally going to get the Ring video.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I was just innocently scrolling through Youtube when I wondered what Cyriak was doing nowadays.

Cyriak Animator Pro

Well then.

e: I can't decide if this is less horrifying than his usual works, or more

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBu77h2FSCM

Feels like a long time since I've seen an Ahoy video, but the trackers one was actually less than a year ago.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9SObFf03dc

Also there's been a WMTSS podcast since mid August?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2E3gD-VymM

KaiserBeams on the greatest cinematic masterpiece in anime history: Dracula Sovereign of the Damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Antigravitas posted:

I was just innocently scrolling through Youtube when I wondered what Cyriak was doing nowadays.

Cyriak Animator Pro

Well then.

e: I can't decide if this is less horrifying than his usual works, or more

Every Cyriak video is the most disturbing video you can see at that moment, until you watch another Cyriak video.

I haven't yet, and I won't, but I imagine that if you show a Cyriak video to a child, and just watch their face, you will see a full spectrum of emotion ranging from curiosity to delight, to confusion to terror.