Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

sb hermit posted:

not android related but it's hilarious that google is probably making money hand over fist on youtube, despite not making any watchable content themselves, because I see a crap ton of ads before and after every video

well, good thing I can just mute it and come back in a half minute or so

too bad Stadia would never have had the ability to make that kind of money unless somehow ads were incorporated into it

get an adblocker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

graph posted:

i have a little switch cart wallet. one goes in, one goes out. the boxes are in the bottom of one of my 5x1 expedits
i have one of these too because i thought it would be fun to swap out the cartridges like when i was a kid. it turns out doing that sucks rear end so i gave away all my carts and bought everything digital. now i don't have to deal with it or feel bad about how far they had to ship that plastic i don't need

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

get an adblocker

Ublock on firefox at least blocks the ad but you still have to wait 45 seconds or whatever before it gives you the video, you just get a blank window instead

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

this works pretty well, plus there’s a purchasable content filter called vinegar on ios that does the same

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-for-youtube/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

icantfindaname posted:

Ublock on firefox at least blocks the ad but you still have to wait 45 seconds or whatever before it gives you the video, you just get a blank window instead

is this on the phone?

because ublock on firefox, on windows, just blocks ads and there's no indication there was ever an ad there.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

infernal machines posted:

is this on the phone?

because ublock on firefox, on windows, just blocks ads and there's no indication there was ever an ad there.

Huh, that's interesting

I was using a PC with windows 8 and it doesn't work, but it does work on 11

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

icantfindaname posted:

I was using a PC with windows 8

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

My brother’s. It’s dumb but he’ll get mad if I change just about anything, so whatever

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

ive never seen an ad on youtube on my computer with ublock origin. it’s seamless, no weird delay.

i wish there was a reliable way to block them on roku or my phone. last time i checked it was pretty difficult.. considered setting up a pi hole but apparently even that is not reliable blocking youtube ads

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/buccocapital/status/1576909546164928513

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a toxic corporate culture?

at google?

the hell you say!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in the replies

quote:

Am a googler (hence throwaway account) & I can easily tell you why this poo poo keeps happening!

Google featureless ZERO penalties for loving poo poo up! Zero! Do you know what the people who wasted two years on Allo got after it was canned? Nothing! Some of them actually got promoted!

Google GREATLY encourages "launches" - releasing something publicly. And keep in mind - no penalties if the poo poo is half baked, not working, only works on chrome, or some such nonsense! This is the norm!

Why? Promotion. You cannot get promoted beyond a certain level in this place unless you "launch" something big.

So what do you get when you add of all these perverse incentives? Nine thousand, eight hundred, and eighty-three chat apps, and a never-ending chain of redesigns and relaunches so some people can get promoted.

Do you know how many bugs you need to fix to get promoted? Infinity. No matter how many you fix, it will never get you enough "impact" for promotion. Never.

How many useless redesigns do you need to launch to get promoted? ONE!

Extra fun: people internally usually warn about this poo poo, complain about it, file bugs about lovely performance, etc. It is ALL ignored. Most people who've been here for over a few years have given up filing bugs even. Because the reply is always the same: "you're not the target audience"!

And we all know it! We all do! Some quit when they realize it, others just begin optimizing for promotion as opposed to optimizing for what is good for the user or the company. And this is how you get new gmail, for example.

to me this is a symptom of "doing a good job is the bare minimum" min/max lovely tech thinking and google's transformation into microsoft is complete since this is basically the "kim" problem all over again

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
considering even staying competent at your current level as a coder requires a fair amount of effort every year due to the changing tech landscape, that poo poo infuriates me so much

ime the best coders are the one that have a mix of experience with both launching and maintaining. many coders that just maintain stuff for years can end up with stagnant skills and many coders that only launch stuff don't know how to build for the long term

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I can’t believe that the company behind android is terribly dysfunctional

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I can’t believe that the company behind android is terribly dysfunctional

android is the freak success they have in that regard though, if it wasn't for them trying to monetize it by selling you out at every turn it'd be a clear-cut windows 95 of this era (e: perhaps unclear; a huge success bringing working technology to the common person, with numerous technical flaws that don't turn out to matter that much for getting the market position). and to a great extent because of the kind of doggedly compatible and incremental vision that they appear to have in literally no other circumstance.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 4, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

like, it is kind of fantastic how unlike everything else google does android is. except for grinding your essence down into pure ad sells, they do do that a lot.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

like, it is kind of fantastic how unlike everything else google does android is. except for grinding your essence down into pure ad sells, they do do that a lot.

google search, docs, youtube and gmail are also kindof like that

like yes you do get the occasional redesign but the core functionality stays the same

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Private Speech posted:

google search, docs, youtube and gmail are also kindof like that

like yes you do get the occasional redesign but the core functionality stays the same

that just lays out the trajectory of android though. google search is trash now, YouTube is a radicalization machine that’s literally unusable without ad blockers, Gmail is somehow getting worse at spam filtering and I’m still mad they killed my boy Inbox. who knows how long google docs/drive will be around

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it would be a clear win for Microsoft and an incredible self-own for Google if they choose to kill the free Drive storage.

Google docs has an incredible amount of mindshare among current and future students (and customers) that comes for free with having a decent product that got a huge boost from chromebooks.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol

https://twitter.com/sondesix/status/1576256922965069824?s=46&t=PNDXE0snjHjFfGb4_K4Iww

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

polyester concept posted:

ive never seen an ad on youtube on my computer with ublock origin. it’s seamless, no weird delay.

i wish there was a reliable way to block them on roku or my phone. last time i checked it was pretty difficult.. considered setting up a pi hole but apparently even that is not reliable blocking youtube ads

vinegar works on ios

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Source Byte Studios Chairman of the Board Nikodem Swider had just put in one final late-night bug-squashing session. After four long months of porting work, his small Polish studio was finally ready to submit a near-final build addressing all of the “must fix” errors Google had identified before the game Jump Challenge could finally launch on Stadia.

Then, scrolling through the news on his train ride home, Swider saw what he called a “horror message” on his phone. Stadia was closing down. All his porting work would be for naught.

“I [thought] it was some rumor… it cannot be true,” Swider said in a YouTube video in the immediate aftermath of the shutdown. “[Then] I saw [it was an] official statement about Stadia.”

“I start shaking a little bit,” Swider recalled. “We put so much effort, so much effort to make it done… But everything [is] gone, all work has gone.”

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 14, 2022

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

quote:

so much effort to make it done… But everything [is] gone, all work has gone.”

scroogled!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
i kind of feel sorry for the dude but also lol at trusting a google service will be around tomorrow.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
is there a google deadpool betting site yet?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

at least ... at least these people are getting reimbursed for their time

and now it's one big step closer to a native steam deck port

... silver lining somewhere!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it would be wild if Google worked with Amazon to create a "Stadia to Luna" porting guide or toolkit because that would be such a big win for Amazon if that were the case but it would also save all those thousands of manhours on the original port to Stafia

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
how would it be a win for amazon to get a bunch of stuff nobody played on stadia ported to an amazon thing nobody is gonna use?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sb hermit posted:

it would be wild if Google worked with Amazon to create a "Stadia to Luna" porting guide or toolkit because that would be such a big win for Amazon if that were the case but it would also save all those thousands of manhours on the original port to Stafia

Lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sounds like they got a pro voice guy for their steam demo video so it sounds kind of like a radio ad: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1787630/Jump_Challenge/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DuckConference posted:

Sounds like they got a pro voice guy for their steam demo video so it sounds kind of like a radio ad: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1787630/Jump_Challenge/

platform masters rear end game

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

quote:

Then, scrolling through the news on his train ride home, Swider saw what he called a “horror message” on his phone. Stadia was closing down. All his porting work would be for naught.

So he got paid to do a bunch of work that will never be QC'd, graded, or criticized? What's the problem

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

So he got paid to do a bunch of work that will never be QC'd, graded, or criticized? What's the problem

because he had hoped to be better compensated for his efforts

which now, in retrospect, could have been used to do something more potentially lucrative

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

lost my razer phone 2 last night. does anything new come close in aesthetic? i want a rectangular slab with hard edges, bonus points if i can run lineage on it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

nudgenudgetilt posted:

lost my razer phone 2 last night. does anything new come close in aesthetic? i want a rectangular slab with hard edges, bonus points if i can run lineage on it.

have you considered pooping in your hand and using that as a replacement?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sorry, i prefer to poop in bag

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

sorry, i prefer to poop in bag

ah, a traditionalist

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

doesn't sony still make that super tall rectangle one?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

YouTube premium family plans are increasing from $18 to $23. I think that’s it for me, it’ll all be Apple Music and ad blockers going forward. i was happy with the $15 I was paying so my family could avoid ads and use YouTube music but $300/year is just too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yeah i just got that email, that's a big loving jump