Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I had a friend on a 3080 who had the game running at 15 FPS at the autodetect settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Performance has been fine for me, nothing notable in terms of stutter, lag, etc. There are some aspects that I don't love, most obviously the fact that weapons have the same name but stats differ, which confuses me personally, but overall, seems like a fun time. I played the psyker, and I do wish his charged ability was more usable against non-bosses, but I'm pretty new so I'm not too worried

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I'm watching the Fatshark stream and there's someone on there called Matthew Ward.

Is that the Matthew Ward? Our Spiritual Liege?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zephro posted:

I'm watching the Fatshark stream and there's someone on there called Matthew Ward.

Is that the Matthew Ward? Our Spiritual Liege?

He was cast back into the warp, one hopes he will never reconstitute in the immaterium again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

I think the theme of you being prisoners and nobodies in an enormously cruel and violent and oppressive existence that is far bigger than you is very thematically appropriate, also your characters do talk to each other and the intercom quite a bit and they have decent personalities especially the French Psyker and Ogryns.

The characters talk and have lines, but because your characters are a bunch of mishmash create a characters with no defined names or backstories, instead of conversations based on the characters' personalities or relationships like in VT you end up with a bunch of disjointed lines that never gel into actual interactions.

It's also really, really bad when you have multiple of the same class in a party and people happened to pick the same voice set and you get each of those characters blurting out basically the same line in reaction to stage checkpoints in sequence.

It also sucks that every single character except the Ogryn looks the exact loving same because everyone starts in a prisoner jumpsuit, though I'm not holding that against them because there's going to be cosmetics.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 14, 2022

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Kanos posted:

I had a friend on a 3080 who had the game running at 15 FPS at the autodetect settings.

lmao rip

I'm playing fine on my 970m. Suck it fancy gpu-havers!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Kanos posted:

The characters talk and have lines, but because your characters are a bunch of mishmash create a characters with no defined names or backstories, instead of conversations based on the characters' personalities or relationships like in VT you end up with a bunch of disjointed lines that never gel into actual interactions.

It's also really, really bad when you have multiple of the same class in a party and people happened to pick the same voice set and you get each of those characters blurting out basically the same line in reaction to stage checkpoints in sequence.

Hmmm maybe. I’ve never played vermintide, I loved L4D, absolutely HATED Back4Blood, and so far I’m really loving this game, I guess it’s just different expectations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Hmmm maybe. I’ve never played vermintide, I loved L4D, absolutely HATED Back4Blood, and so far I’m really loving this game, I guess it’s just different expectations.

If you enjoy this game a lot, do yourself a huge, huge favor and play VT or VT2.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Corbeau posted:

lmao rip

I'm playing fine on my 970m. Suck it fancy gpu-havers!

Welcome fellow poor 970 brother, come let us laugh at all these decadent graphics card havers. :smug:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The gunplay and melee feel very good and blend together well. Environments are pretty busy but the atmosphere is top-notch. I like the character customization more than predefined characters because it looks like you'll have greater freedom for your look than having set outfits from Vermintide. You lose little touches by having those set characters but I honestly don't care. I'm not playing the game for the little character interactions in the dialogue.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Tagging seems buggy at times which is really bad when I want to tag the loving bomber

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kanos posted:

It also sucks that every single character except the Ogryn looks the exact loving same because everyone starts in a prisoner jumpsuit, though I'm not holding that against them because there's going to be cosmetics.
I think this is less of a problem if their outlines are visually distinct. In VT you had Big Hat Man, Armoured Guy, Short Bloke, Fire Woman and Hoody Elf, and they were all instantly recognisable from just their outlines alone. I dunno if that's the case in Darktide, though, I'm not in the beta - just watching a few streams.

edit, also:

Kanos posted:

If you enjoy this game a lot, do yourself a huge, huge favor and play VT or VT2.
Yeah, the voice acting in Vermintide is really good and it's good precisely because the characters are well-defined and so the banter is fun and interesting.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zephro posted:

I think this is less of a problem if their outlines are visually distinct. In VT you had Big Hat Man, Armoured Guy, Short Bloke, Fire Woman and Hoody Elf, and they were all instantly recognisable from just their outlines alone. I dunno if that's the case in Darktide, though, I'm not in the beta - just watching a few streams.

The elf can sometimes look like a rat at a glance and make you reflexively friendly fire her, but I view that as a feature

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The elf also constantly insults and berates everyone else for daring not to be a perfect, dainty unnaturally long-lived twee-60 noscope major leaf gaming pro like herself so sometimes the friendly fire is "accidental".

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
mayfly detected

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Al-Saqr posted:

Welcome fellow poor 970 brother, come let us laugh at all these decadent graphics card havers. :smug:

Tell me your secrets. How did you get the game running smoothly? I have a 970 as well, and Ryzen 3600, and even with everything set to low it's far from smooth. Basically playable (30ish fps) until there's a lot of particle effects, like an incendiary grenade.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The elf also constantly insults and berates everyone else for daring not to be a perfect, dainty unnaturally long-lived twee-60 noscope major leaf gaming pro like herself so sometimes the friendly fire is "accidental".
Lumberfoots

Based entirely on about an hour of streams, it seems noticeably less tongue-in-cheek than VT. Which I guess makes sense since 40k as an IP is much more up its own backside than WHFB, but it seems like a shame.

edit: though I think the squad I'm watching is 3/4 zealots so maybe it would be less one-note with a more diverse roster?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Badly Jester posted:

Tell me your secrets. How did you get the game running smoothly? I have a 970 as well, and Ryzen 3600, and even with everything set to low it's far from smooth. Basically playable (30ish fps) until there's a lot of particle effects, like an incendiary grenade.

Luck and grit I guess? the graphics are set to low.

I have an intel i7 from 2016, don’t know what specific number.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Badly Jester posted:

When there's a bunch of poo poo going on I get framerate drops. I'm just surprised it runs fine otherwise.

Well, until it crashes. It crashes a lot, actually. Latest one was getting stuck in an elevator with stuff clearly spawning outside (we could hear it) until the game ran out of memory and exploded.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So you can have multiple of the same characters in party?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Got in the beta because my old VT2 crew pressured me to get it but i don't really have time to play much but i'll give a proper arghy review once i do.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

yeah no I spent the whole day playing this game and I love it, havent gotten bored.

Pre-ordered the imperium edition.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got into this beta, looking forward to checking it out. Hopefully my buds get in too, but I got accepted like 40 minutes after hitting the button so it seems like it's open season :f5:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

So you can have multiple of the same characters in party?

yep!

Big Chungus squad GO.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Maybe it will get more exciting after more matches but I don't find this as compelling as VT and VT2 so far. Feels like it plays slower by comparison and there are much less interesting actions you can take.

Maybe this changes significantly later on but it feels like a slog so far.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It took me about 15 minutes to get my settings to an acceptable play. I've got a 1600s super and that card just loving hates lighting so I've had to do some unintutive stuff to get fps in a playable spot.

Full disclosure I love the game but a small critique: because the game is so brown and busy it's going to look even worse on low end cards than normal because so much of the environment is transmitted through lighting effects and particles. With ambient occlusion off for instance the furnace level is just sort of gray and with lighting jacked up you get all these spooky contrasts of light and shadow. Also everything is covered in jagged film grain in my game and while I've hosed with the settings enough to minimize it (turns out volumetric fog was the culprit, mostly) it just never smooths out completely.

That said gameplay is fun. That two of the characters are melee characters with charges is a bit of a disappointment but not a game killer. The contrast between gunplay and melee is a good addition to the VT formula I think. If you're coming from VT and dipping your toes into difficulty 3 or higher, take ranged enemies seriously. You cannot safely sprint across an open room into them. You need active abilities or flanking teammates. That adds a lot of depth to it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Oh my god the song that plays when you fight the power shield boss in one of the levels is the loving raddest poo poo of all time.

This soundtrack is doom eternal levels of awesome

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh my god the song that plays when you fight the power shield boss in one of the levels is the loving raddest poo poo of all time.

This soundtrack is doom eternal levels of awesome

Its such an incredible track

And yeah ranged mobs are vicious. I keep playing like vermintide and getting wrecked cause of it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I only got through most of 1 mission so far (wiped at our first Ogre close to the end) but I am digging this. Still feels a bit janky and the performance varies but I like how the gameplay feels and like the custom characters. Not sure how I feel about the lobby with other people not in my party running around!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does Darktide have cross platform matchmaking?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

explosivo posted:

Not sure how I feel about the lobby with other people not in my party running around!

I know exactly how I feel about it, especially because of how egregiously long it takes to load. Seriously, it takes longer to load the hub than it does an actual mission!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah this is up there with the Mechanicus soundtrack. Not as overtly 40k as that or something like the old Chaos Gate but pretty much perfect for burning holes through martians.

Game's pretty good otherwise. Lasguns have a decent punch to them. Probably my main complaint is the lack of weapon variety. Even as a Veteran at level 5 I'm still just using a lasgun, would be nice to get a shotgun or some of the other weapons they've shown. Not even sure if they're in the beta.

I said come in! posted:

Does Darktide have cross platform matchmaking?

No, and they've said it isn't planned.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

So far I have yet to see a psyker or another zealot. It's a sea of Regular Shootmans with the occasional ogryn.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I’m honestly wondering what the hell is going on why are people with infinitely more powerful PC’s than me are experiencing such bad frame rates, crashes and load times while everything is smooth and fast with me this is super wierd.

Maybe it’s a server thing? That because my graphics are Low the packets going to and from the server is much faster than you guys?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lassitude posted:

:sigh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm sad that i'm not enjoying this game, and the performance is such butts on my PC. I was really excited for Darktide for quite a few years, and waited patiently through the long delays.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sienna was my main in VT2 so I jumped into Psyker and ehhhhhhh.

Pistol is fine, good damage, few shots.

Sword is fine.

Knockback power is fine.

Channelling the infinite power of the Warp is underwhelming

The charge time is slow enough on the 'Take out a single target' power that somebody just shoots/stabs your target half the time.

The area effect is also underwhelming and aiming isn't terribly clear either.

Might reroll as a Zealot.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Vargs posted:

So far I have yet to see a psyker or another zealot. It's a sea of Regular Shootmans with the occasional ogryn.

I guess using Gunhaver is an easy way to get a feel for the game? But then I'm not Big Bardin getting carried away and just throwing his whole grenade box at a heretic to bean them in the dome.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lassitude posted:

Yeah this is up there with the Mechanicus soundtrack. Not as overtly 40k as that or something like the old Chaos Gate but pretty much perfect for burning holes through martians.

Game's pretty good otherwise. Lasguns have a decent punch to them. Probably my main complaint is the lack of weapon variety. Even as a Veteran at level 5 I'm still just using a lasgun, would be nice to get a shotgun or some of the other weapons they've shown. Not even sure if they're in the beta.

There are definitely additional guns around, but they seem to be very sparsely parceled out. We've encountered one psyker with a shotgun for example, IIRC he was about level 8. There are also different skins/versions of the same weapon type around, for example I just found a sword with stylish speed holes :v:

Psyker is good fun so far, the ability to disrupt and quickly kill just about any special you come across comes in very handy, and the big AoE stun can be a real lifesaver. Not sure if I like the force sword, it can do very solid damage but is extremely situational, and the psyker kit doesn't exactly need even more single-target weaponry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Sienna was my main in VT2 so I jumped into Psyker and ehhhhhhh.

Pistol is fine, good damage, few shots.

Sword is fine.

Knockback power is fine.

Channelling the infinite power of the Warp is underwhelming

The charge time is slow enough on the 'Take out a single target' power that somebody just shoots/stabs your target half the time.

The area effect is also underwhelming and aiming isn't terribly clear either.

Might reroll as a Zealot.

Yeah its no sienna but being able to take out a single target, elite, specials feels great. Deals good damage to bosses too.

However I feel like the class is going to be super hard to play in the higher difficulties with larger swarms. But I do want to unlock more talents and see how they work out