Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Tkachuk is consistently one of the league leaders in penalty differential which is a hugely underrated skill. Any time you can put your team on the powerplay you're hugely increasing your chances of scoring while virtually eliminating the risk of being scored on. People always emphasize 5 on 5 because that's the truest indicator of a player's outright ability, but regularly putting your team on the powerplay is likely more useful than anything else. It's only not more valued because penalties evaporate in the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

That's a big yikes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I admire Lindy Ruff's magical ability to remain employed despite years now of uniformly terrible results.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Things going well for Chicago I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyFSV3IJaI

Kane can't wait for the trade deadline.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

It always pisses me off when the AI does this in the EA series and it turns out that they coded it correctly all along

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

An obviously rebuilding team gave Seth Jones $9.5M x 8. After spending a bunch of assets trading for him. He’ll be 36 at the end of that deal lmao

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

T-Bone posted:

still cannot fathom the coaching decision that led to Erik Haula playing on the first line PP over Jesper Bratt

I kept waiting for the classic win a faceoff then sprint to the bench to get Bratt on, but no

Lindy Ruff is the worst coach in the NHL

We warned you!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
oh I had no optimism, it was a poo poo hire from the beginning

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Levitate posted:

Wild are going nowhere with Fleury as their main goalie
Also based off one game they need more than one line that is consistently threatening (though that one line is terrifying)

Rangers kinda got sloppy at times and especially turned the puck over in dumb ways in their own zone more than a few times but I’ll take the result we got

The Wild were chasing all night long. I won't be too worried even with MAF in net unless they're still chasing the pace in another week. Boldy is going to be fun to watch this year. If he'd been healthy all year his name would have been closer to the Calder conversation last year. Rangers started with incredible pace this week and are a blast to watch right now.

I'm sure I'll be appropriately worried in March with MAF, but I'll save it until then.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Only had to wait three days for the first Jets game of the season. I really have no idea how this season is going to go. I think it will be better than last season, but I'm not sure by how much. They could be one point better, they could make the second round. Who knows.

I'm glad they finally changed things up, but it's still three years too late which is a bitter pill to swallow.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

oh I had no optimism, it was a poo poo hire from the beginning

To be fair, Andrew Brunette is running the powerplay

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

To be fair, Andrew Brunette is running the powerplay

if there isn't a brain in there capable of coming to the conclusion that playing your best/2nd best forward on the second unit is a bad idea then they should all be fired

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

just stay healthy and fit until we can build up enough cap space to bring you here please

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
E:^^ Kane-Zib-Panarin good lord ^^

Do you guys want to learn the horrifying truth about why we hate Bratt, or do you want to watch Holtz sock a few dingers?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Wanting Patrick Kane on your team is really gross, I'm thankful the Penguins don't have the cap space to even think about it.

Because they totally would think about it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'd feel extremely conflicted about the Rangers winning a cup because they brought Kane in at the trade deadline (because of all the horrible chicago bullshit)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kane would have absolutely known about Kyle Beach, and he's got a spotty record himself. So ask yourself how far you'd be willing to go to win a cup!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

E:^^ Kane-Zib-Panarin good lord ^^

Zib is in a confirmed relationship with Kreids, they won't break that up unless injuries. ideally, people stay healthy and we go in to thr playoffs with something like:

Kreider-Zibanejad-(Vatrano-like acquisition #2)
Panarin-Trocheck-Kane
Lafrieniere-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Carpenter-Vesey/Hunt/Reaves

I love that Kakko and Laf are so far doing great in the top 6, but ideally we're running a heavy 3 lines, Goodrow is getting PK time, and like a 6-7 minute 4th line.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If I can root for MacTavish in 94, I can root for Kane in 2022.

Maybe that makes me a bad person but I know what I'm in for in this sport, I wouldn't be shocked if players I love have done the same or worse and we just don't know about it.

Go get him Drury.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I don't hold Kane, nor any 21/22-year-old in that situation, nearly as much in contempt as I do all the management that actively did a cover-up. I hold him in contempt for initially defending Bowman and the rest, but I chalk that more up to most hockey players being narrow-minded morons rather than a diabolical thing. I'm inclined to believe him when he speaks about regretting that.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, it's the other stuff you should really hate Kane for!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wanting Patrick Kane on your team is really gross, I'm thankful the Penguins don't have the cap space to even think about it.

Because they totally would think about it.

Talking heads keep saying he’ll end up in Buffalo because hometown hero or whatever but this team is built on good vibes and Kane is like 100% bad vibes and would make them actively worse. I don’t give a gently caress if he’s good at scoring goals and won a few cups.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kane had a line in an on ice interview after the 15 win where he claimed it would be his last cup. So make of that what you will!

Unfortunately the clip has been memory holed, it doesn't exist on any online versions I can find. I would guess it was from the WGN broadcast. He also said something along the lines of it being nice to help kids get their own cup win.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

xzzy posted:

Kane had a line in an on ice interview after the 15 win where he claimed it would be his last cup. So make of that what you will!

Unfortunately the clip has been memory holed, it doesn't exist on any online versions I can find. I would guess it was from the WGN broadcast. He also said something along the lines of it being nice to help kids get their own cup win.

Was this because he knew about the upcoming rape allegation in summer 2015, or did that happen after winning the cup?

Christ there are a lot of ugly incidents on his file

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Talking heads keep saying he’ll end up in Buffalo because hometown hero or whatever but this team is built on good vibes and Kane is like 100% bad vibes and would make them actively worse. I don’t give a gently caress if he’s good at scoring goals and won a few cups.
Why do you think Kane would be bad vibes?

Kane's play making on a line with Tage Thompson's shot sounds like really good vibes to me.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The Dirty Burger posted:

Was this because he knew about the upcoming rape allegation in summer 2015, or did that happen after winning the cup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bigZ1fmwD-Q

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

Didn't watch the game because gently caress this team

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage (at tanking)

you should have. they looked like they played harder than at any point last year. They're going to be bad but probably very annoying to play at times. and you get to watch Torts with the media! he probably won't be at his peak this season though since he's trying to build long-term. if/when they become competitive and the team loses a game they should win, that's when he's at his most explosive

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guys, you can just say you care more about wins than people too. It's fine to be garbage, most are.

Not me, but most.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
your team's icon bought a full page newspaper endorsement for Trump

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not 65 years old I never saw him play.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
have you seen the statue? or the retired jersey? or the ceremonial puck drops?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eric the Mauve posted:

Luckily the Penguins have never employed anyone heinous in recent memory

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

I think it was just an excited person on camera struggling to come up with something to say and stupid falling out. But I have no insight beyond that.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I feel like Chicago's whole deal as a shithole organization has lead to people forgetting that Kane has been charged with assaulting a 62 year-old cab driver, credibly accused of rape, and had multiple accounts of going to a frat party and choking a woman/assaulting others. Like, he's got one of the biggest rap sheets among active players for being a piece of poo poo, it's not just that he was a "leader" on a team that aided and abetted a serial rapist.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
yeah but he'd slot in really well on the right side

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Koopa Kid posted:

I feel like Chicago's whole deal as a shithole organization has lead to people forgetting that Kane has been charged with assaulting a 62 year-old cab driver, credibly accused of rape, and had multiple accounts of going to a frat party and choking a woman/assaulting others. Like, he's got one of the biggest rap sheets among active players for being a piece of poo poo, it's not just that he was a "leader" on a team that aided and abetted a serial rapist.

Came here to post something similar. You can look past Kane being part of all the ugly involving Chicago all you want and still find plenty of ugly in his past.

Maybe he can wear number 20 wherever he's traded.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

T-Bone posted:

have you seen the statue? or the retired jersey? or the ceremonial puck drops?

drat good point, you got me. They definitely shouldn't try to trade for Bobby Orr this season.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Luckily the Penguins have never employed anyone heinous in recent memory

Bill Guerin and Cole yeah yeah the whole sport is a dumpster fire of heinous people. The more stuff that comes out the more I dislike GM JR as well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah they've definitely made every effort to distance themselves from someone with abhorrent political views. They barely polished the statue this year.

This is obtuse even for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

assaulting a 62 year-old cab driver

this could also be said of most actual NYC cab drivers. you ever hung out at a cab stand?