Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I looked into it, it comes with the core book but without the fluff and story, which is fine since I’m a 40k lore maniac so I can live without it, lol.

The octarius book is what’s needed since it comes with special rules and missions and tactics for the specific Kriegs and Commandos and more missions, it’s only 30 bucks so it’s fine to add.

I’ll check back with you guys once I try it with a captive friend lol.

Oh it doesn't come with the Octarius book? Weird! Good that you caught that, I wasn't aware it wasn't included!

And again, good luck in your endevour and hope you find a friend who is into the game as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Set posted:

In a weird timewarp, the Krieg are WW1 French and the Ork Kommandos are WW2 British SAS, fighting over the control of ancient Bavarian irrigation systems.

Lol aren’t they literally German trench fighters it’s literally in the name ‘Krieg’ gas mask helmet and all

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol aren’t they literally German trench fighters it’s literally in the name ‘Krieg’ gas mask helmet and all

Yeah, more generic WW1 trenchfighter in vibe, but their design and uniform is pretty French. I also think they look very much more interesting painted blue, rather than boring old grey. :v:

Btw I just remembered that GW quite recently released a free Space Marine intercessor team for Kill Team, along with some super compressed basic rules. And a squad builder tool! It's all on their community website if you wanna have a look.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Set posted:

Yeah, more generic WW1 trenchfighter in vibe, but their design and uniform is pretty French. I also think they look very much more interesting painted blue, rather than boring old grey. :v:

Btw I just remembered that GW quite recently released a free Space Marine intercessor team for Kill Team, along with some super compressed basic rules. And a squad builder tool! It's all on their community website if you wanna have a look.

Wow free models?! Where and how?!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No, just free rules.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

No, just free rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow free models?! Where and how?!

If only... but apparently the free team rules are pretty good and fun! So for anyone with any left over space marines, you basically can use them directly in Kill Team without any extra fuss. Which is kinda nice.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah they are good - more straightforward than phobos team but also easier to play

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Yeah they are good - more straightforward than phobos team but also easier to play

I recently found 6 old metal Blood Angels at my parents place. I should see if I can find any of those new Blood Angels blind bags to give me some optional weapons and stuff. I guess they are intercessors now!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok I just got back from talking to my friends/relatives and stuff about playing kill team and I gotta say I am genuinely loving shocked at how violent a rejection I got from them.

I tried to sell them on trying out the game, I told them this was a much smaller scale, faster and funner version of 40k, I told them I will handle building and painting, but the response was really full on “No” from them, no meeting halfway or anything.

What makes me so insane is that these freaks are all crazy nerds who love rules and long board games, I have to sit there and put up with their five hour long board games about Bavarian irrigation systems from the 1700’s and obsess over victory points and poo poo, but they don’t want to meet me half way to play a fun shooter squad game that’s only an hour long and looks cool and has guns and stuff.

i'd tell 'em "look, i play hours longs games about bavarian plant sewers with you fucks without complaint, and you assholes can't even play 1 game that i want to play once that will maybe eat 2 hours of your time? gently caress you" then find new friends that aren't inconsiderate.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

My Spirit Otter posted:

i'd tell 'em "look, i play hours longs games about bavarian plant sewers with you fucks without complaint, and you assholes can't even play 1 game that i want to play once that will maybe eat 2 hours of your time? gently caress you" then find new friends that aren't inconsiderate.

sometimes people dislike something on its merits. it's probably best to be normal about it and not do this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cease to Hope posted:

sometimes people dislike something on its merits. it's probably best to be normal about it and not do this

Being Normal Is For Cowards

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

Hmmmmmmmmm

Harsh but fair lol, sadly I enjoy their company they’re good people and indispensable in my life, I like them lol so im not gonna be a drama queen about it.

The difference between me and them is without exaggeration this video:-

https://youtu.be/nyYexTcyY2A

However I did score a major victory today

I met with them and the biggest nerd of the group who’s the main obstacle to my plan got a new game called ‘Agricola’:-

https://youtu.be/eTY-_WJ60a0

and wouldn’t you know it it’s a loving euro rear end farming game, they then proceeded to READ THE RULES AND LEARN THE GAME FROM ZERO for a full hour and a half as I was sitting there screaming and shrieking internally, and wouldn’t you know it they got so lost in the rulebook after all that time we gave up and moved on to an actually exciting board game about Viking killing each other and going to Valhalla and stuff called ‘Blood rage’.

https://youtu.be/hqcBTYxaAow

Blood Rage rules, I highly recommend it!

If you notice, Blood rage comes with cool miniature armies of Vikings and big monster ones.

And wouldn’t you know it, a shining opportunity came, one of them, THE GUY WHO OWNS THE DEN murmurs:-

“Hey these minis seem like they would be fun to play, reminds me of that space game I tried in England years ago”

I couldn’t believe my luck, like Slaanesh seeing a nice juicy honey glazed eldar soul, I struck fast.

“Funny you should mention it, I have a cool version of that game that’s only an hour long”

I then gauged his openness to the setting by showing him the incredible ASTARTES video:-

https://youtu.be/O7hgjuFfn3A

He loving loved it.

Gentlemen, call Abbadon, we got an opening. :nurgle:

Now all I gotta do is get him in a room to try the recruit edition of kill team, I will pre-read and learn the poo poo about rules so no time is wasted and see how he likes it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Hmmmmmmmmm

Harsh but fair lol, sadly I enjoy their company they’re good people and indispensable in my life, I like them lol so im not gonna be a drama queen about it.

The difference between me and them is without exaggeration this video:-

https://youtu.be/nyYexTcyY2A

However I did score a major victory today

I met with them and the biggest nerd of the group who’s the main obstacle to my plan got a new game called ‘Agricola’:-

and wouldn’t you know it it’s a loving euro rear end farming game, they then proceeded to READ THE RULES AND LEARN THE GAME FROM ZERO for a full hour and a half as I was sitting there screaming and shrieking internally, and wouldn’t you know it they got so lost in the rulebook after all that time we gave up and moved on to an actually exciting board game about Viking killing each other and going to Valhalla and stuff called ‘Blood rage’.

https://youtu.be/hqcBTYxaAow

Blood Rage rules, I highly recommend it!

If you notice, Blood rage comes with cool miniature armies of Vikings and big monster ones.

And wouldn’t you know it, a shining opportunity came, one of them, THE GUY WHO OWNS THE DEN murmurs:-

“Hey these minis seem like they would be fun to play, reminds me of that space game I tried in England years ago”

I couldn’t believe my luck, like Slaanesh seeing a nice juicy honey glazed eldar soul, I struck fast.

“Funny you should mention it, I have a cool version of that game that’s only an hour long”

I then gauged his openness to the setting by showing him the incredible ASTARTES video:-

https://youtu.be/O7hgjuFfn3A

He loving loved it.

Gentlemen, call Abbadon, we got an opening. :nurgle:

Now all I gotta do is get him in a room to try the recruit edition of kill team, I will pre-read and learn the poo poo about rules so no time is wasted and see how he likes it.

I'm sure you understand that there's a significant financial barrier, even for kill team, that can he highly discouraging for some people. The only reason I got into kill team is that I had a bunch of store credit ($250) to spend thanks to winning stuff with my other 'set money on fire hobby' mtg. And even then, I still have had to spend another $75 for the hobby side of things, and borrow paint from a bunch of my friends who are already into the hobby.

Whereas when you buy a board game, that's it. No additional spend.

I'm not saying that this isn't a great game, because it is, or that painting miniatures isn't awesome, but some people don't want to make that commitment. Full stop.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Legit Businessman posted:

I'm sure you understand that there's a significant financial barrier, even for kill team, that can he highly discouraging for some people. The only reason I got into kill team is that I had a bunch of store credit ($250) to spend thanks to winning stuff with my other 'set money on fire hobby' mtg. And even then, I still have had to spend another $75 for the hobby side of things, and borrow paint from a bunch of my friends who are already into the hobby.

I'm not saying that this isn't a great game, because it is, or that painting miniatures isn't awesome, but some people don't want to make that commitment. Full stop.

Yeah I agree, which is why I only bought the basic 80 dollar recruit starter pack to gauge interest, I fully understand that they're normal people who don't want to make the commitment, I however am an insane person, so I'm 100% percent willing to purchase and built and paint everything myself. but I will only do that if there's more interest. So I'm not going to go all in, I purchased the cheapest simplest entry version I can, and will see how they respond, if they like it, I will get into the dark, if they dont, then it's no big loss on my part and it's like buying a board game that I can pop out every once in a while when opportunity strikes.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Boardgamers throw 100s of $ at the newest half-baked game all the time, then they sit on it for a bit before they dump it on some guy on Facebook. I know, I used to be one, but then I got better/worse and started playing miniature games.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Quick question, if I end up really liking Kill Team and stuff, can I just skip the into the dark box and jump straight to shadow vaults? I’m looking at the contents of the shadowvaults box and it looks much more enticing to me, the Kasrkin look super cool and Necrons rule, I’m not at all excited for imperial navy and Kroot, and it looks like shadowvaults will have more mechanics like robot sentries and stashes and stuff and comes with the exact same scenery and the Kasrkin+Necron rules, since I already have the main rulebooks and tokens with the recruit edition I should be able to just get shadow vaults in the future right?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Correct.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

Correct.

Fantastic, thanks.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Al-Saqr posted:

A: Agricola is a very old game. It is a good game, but it is 15 years old which in board game terms means it is approximately a hundred years old.

B: People that show up to play a board game and have no understanding of the rules before they try to set it up and play it are assholes. I have been heavily involved in board games for the past many years and I will politely get up from the table and find another game if someone breaks the shrink wrap on a game they have never played and intend to play it that day.

C: Be your own advocate. Even if it isn't going to be war games, you don't have to sit down and play dry Euro worker placement games that you don't enjoy. The board game world has such a huge spectrum of offerings. Please stop letting yourself get hemmed in and playing games you don't like. I know that if a board game is going to take 3 to 4 hours I don't want to play it because by the end I will lose interest and I feel like I'm doing it disservice to the other players at the table so I avoid those. Medium weight fun zippy games and dexterity games are my thing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If you're playing KT casually/treating it as a board game, you don't have to buy GW's minis. There are plenty of people who make models for 3D printing and most gaming communities in larger population centers seem to have at least 1 person with a resin printer who may be willing to print off the models for a decent fee. Or just go even further as treating it as a board game and view each team as it's own expansion.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

10 different versions of Zombicide get funded within minutes with basic kickstarter sets costing more than a Kill Team starter would disagree with you.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

10 different versions of Zombicide get funded within minutes with basic kickstarter sets costing more than a Kill Team starter would disagree with you.

Yeah at some point you have to tell the person who's surrounded by fifty boxes of european farming simulator board games each one costing 50-100 bucks to gently caress right off.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Fucken Agricola

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

At my lgs half of those fancy kickstarter boardgames cost more than box of into the dark and most of the is cardboard. I know apples and oranges but I think I will keep on breaching in KT.

Also maybe WHU would be more the speed of boardgame crowd?

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 14, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The owner of the lgs I go to the most always laughs when he hears someone who plays X game say that they'd love to get into Y game but it's too expensive. The real truth is more like "I'd love to get into Y game but I already spend so much on X" but no one wants to admit that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Shadowvaults preview stuff. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/14/improve-unlucky-dice-and-reanimate-unlucky-operatives-in-kill-team-shadowvaults/

Looks like the Kasrkin get some extra little nudges on the dice, 10 of them at the start of the game and two more per turn your Sergeant is alive so nicely different from the Vet Guards.

Then the Necron do Necron things and their leader has 3 different gear options that give him different abilities?

Still want to see the full info personally, how soon does GW send out stuff to sites and such? I read the Goonhammer rundown on Into the Dark and that really helped sell it to me and it looks like that went up the week before it came out (so I assume a little after it came out for pre-order?) and it looks like the League of Votann run down of their codex and units was a similar sort of time so potentially they and the other places that do this kinda thing have the boxes already or will soon and are going to be allowed to put the info up soon?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 14, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Covermeinsunshine posted:

At my lgs half of those fancy kickstarter boardgames cost more than box of into the dark and most of the is cardboard so I know apples and oranges but I think I will keep on breaching

GW games always have an audience which is one reason they've survived so long. Warhammer is ubiquitous. Board games may be easier to onboard people but chances of you getting anyone to play a super complex kickstarter special without an existing group is vanishingly slim.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Z the IVth posted:

GW games always have an audience which is one reason they've survived so long. Warhammer is ubiquitous. Board games may be easier to onboard people but chances of you getting anyone to play a super complex kickstarter special without an existing group is vanishingly slim.

let's face it, GW had better Lore than anything that's coming out today, mainly because they where around when outright plagiarism was still legal, but still.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

let's face it, GW had better Lore than anything that's coming out today, mainly because they where around when outright plagiarism was still legal, but still.

Who did games workshop plagiarize, I thought it was blizzard who plagiarized GW

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

Dune, for one.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

Dune, Dredd, the thatcher administration, starship troopers, basically any sci-fi from the 70s

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I totally get it, but there's something about buying the game, then buying other stuff, then buying other stuff on top of that (which aren't game pieces per se - like paint) that is somehow different than "everything you need comes in this box! Pay us $400"

I don't know. I don't get it either.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dune, Dredd, the thatcher administration, starship troopers, basically any sci-fi from the 70s

LOTR, D&D, Micheal Morecock, Dracula, basically any fantasy from the 70's

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

To stir up the hornets nest - GW games from a rules perspective kinda suck. They get away with their failings with evocative settings, great models, and pushing “narrative gameplay”. If you enjoy that, great! But it’s not a shock that people who play Eurogames aren’t interested in putting together models or trying to intuit what a specific rule from the 2nd year compendium update means, or houserule the latest faction that’s wildly overpowered.
Even if your board game friends like Zombicide, that’s a 90-minute simple rule set that only requires 1 person to purchase. It’s tangential to GW stuff but still not the same thing.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 14, 2022

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Al-Saqr posted:

if any of you know of any 40k clubs in Saudi Arabia let me know, thanks.

Where in Saudi are you? I would imagine that anywhere with a sizeable American/Western compound like Riyadh or KAUST would have people playing, at least.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Crackbone posted:

To stir up the hornets nest - GW games from a rules perspective kinda suck. They get away with their failings with evocative settings, great models, and pushing “narrative gameplay”. If you enjoy that, great! But it’s not a shock that people who play Eurogames aren’t interested in putting together models or trying to intuit what a specific rule from the 2nd year compendium update means, or houserule the latest faction that’s wildly overpowered.
Even if your board game friends like Zombicide, that’s a 90-minute simple rule set that only requires 1 person to purchase. It’s tangential to GW stuff but still not the same thing.

Yeah, if I want to play something with clear rules that are easy to teach that's going to be engaging and fun for everyone at the table even if they're inexperienced and/or losing terribly I'm going to reach for a modern board game every time. There are just so many amazing games for almost any interest, time frame and player count.

If I want to play with my dolls, I'm reaching for a miniature wargame.

I completely understand why people prefer the former to the latter.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Crackbone posted:

To stir up the hornets nest - GW games from a rules perspective kinda suck.

Being really new to GW and having played only a handful of Kill Team games and read a shitload of 40k rulebooks, what I've come to realize is that GW has pretty decent rules but they explain them and lay them out in just the worst possible ways. Like, Engage and Conceal orders are super important in KT and they mention them pretty early on but don't ever actually explain the rules implications of them, those are divvied up in other sections, which is not unreasonable but also makes it much more complicated to grasp and explain to new players.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

Still want to see the full info personally, how soon does GW send out stuff to sites and such?
You should start seeing stuff today or tomorrow. They usually have an embargo until the pre-order.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can you plagiarize a political administration? :thunk:

Yes, GW did lift a lot of stuff from other sources, but that's pretty common in fantasy and sci-fi. I mean, Star Wars took a lot from samurai and swashbuckling movies. Almost any cyberpunk game out there is going to be a direct copy and paste from blade runner and a handful of Gibson stories. And almost any fantasy game is going to be essentially a rip from D&D and, of course, LOTR.

And, at this point, they have done a pretty good job of making things their own. Yeah, you can still see a clear line to the original source material, but it's been pretty heavily modified to get to where it is now (for the most part.)

Honestly, I think the biggest point of contention are the legal challenges they frequently throw up, especially on things that were clearly not their idea in the first place (Space Marines, for instance.) Unfortunately though, that's also a flaw with the way copyright and trademark law works, so it's not 100% on GW...

rantmo posted:

what I've come to realize is that GW has pretty decent rules but they explain them and lay them out in just the worst possible ways.
Yes, GW definitely has a problem with layout and editing (Necromunda, anyone?), but, like crackbone says, their rules really often aren't that good. Part of the problem is that their games are written to sell models and not written to be balanced. They also have a tendency to throw out expansions that break core rules and cause issues that aren't fixed until, Surprise of surprises, you're forced to buy another edition to fix those problems that were introduced in the previous edition. It almost seems like it's planned or something...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yes, GW definitely has a problem with layout and editing (Necromunda, anyone?), but, like crackbone says, their rules really often aren't that good. Part of the problem is that their games are written to sell models and not written to be balanced. They also have a tendency to throw out expansions that break core rules and cause issues that aren't fixed until, Surprise of surprises, you're forced to buy another edition to fix those problems that were introduced in the previous edition. It almost seems like it's planned or something...

You are attributing way too much to malice when it's simple incompetence