Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks. I'm at regular 1440p also with a 3600 and a 3080. I've thought about plopping in a 5800x3D. Think that would unlock enough potential from CPU and GPU to be worth it? I've had the 3600 since launch.

edit: I stream some VR to my Quest 2 sometimes as well.

Mostly depends on the game. The 5800x3D is a badass CPU though.

Regular advice of "Don't upgrade unless you have a specific reason to" still applies. In your friends case, upgrading a GPU would specifically NOT help his RDR2 use case though.

Cygni posted:

Rumor that the 4080 12GB has been cancelled.

Lol, that's one way to deal with the "We don't want to call it a 4070".

Now please drop the price of the 4080 16GB by about half, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

more specifically they "will change the SPEC to another name"

maybe it will be released as the 4070 after all

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lih posted:

the hidden catch is that RDNA3 comes out very soon meaning that even a substantial discount on a 6900XT probably won't be good value (because the 6900XT was never good value to begin with) unless AMD's prices are as stupid as Nvidia's are

6900 XT was insanely good value for me when I found it at MSRP in some tiny local shop while 6800 XTs were going for 1200+ and 3080s for ~1400 :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

[NDA 🈲] Received from Taiwan's graphics card manufacturers that NVIDIA plans to cancel the GeForce RTX 4080 12GB version, and will change the SPEC and put it on the market under another name. The original GeForce RTX 4080 16GB will be renamed GeForce RTX 4080. Turn it over #believe it or not

Public shaming works, maybe!

"unlaunch" lol. Now we're happy to announce the brand-new RTX 4070.

$899
vvvv

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Confirmed https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/12gb-4080-unlaunch/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

loving lmao. Rename it the 4070 and sell it for $700 and I will buy.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1580956525152989184?s=46&t=zyVnWIvVYDNSsnwqrCSR6g

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I can't believe complaining really does work. SHAME SHAME SHAME

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

saving it for the 4090 Ti (or even the quadro)

they already announced the AD102-based RTX6000 and it doesn't have nvlink, if the interface were there in the silicon it surely would be exposed on there

maybe gigabyte just derived their PCB from their 3090ti one and left the nvlink traces in place

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That is so loving funny lmao. *unlaunches your gpu*

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
In some defense, I give NVidia credit in eventually unfucking their naming stack. It woulda been hella confusing otherwise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Josh Lyman posted:

loving lmao. Rename it the 4070 and sell it for $700 and I will buy.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1580956525152989184?s=46&t=zyVnWIvVYDNSsnwqrCSR6g
They just figured this out now?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

FlamingLiberal posted:

They just figured this out now?

Oh no, they knew the whole time. They just found out how much people cared about it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What a bloody mess. Just call it the 4070 as it should have been all along.
Hopefully they get the pricing commensurate with their new plans for it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Direct action gets the goods

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

They’re gonna be putting stickers on boxes, aren’t they?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Looking forward to reviews where they peel off the 4070 Ti sticker on the card to reveal 4080 underneath.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

nitsuga posted:

They’re gonna be putting stickers on boxes, aren’t they?

I can't wait until some techtuber opens their 4070 and finds a 4080 leftover on the silkscreen.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Contrition? In my Nvidia??

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hopefully they get the pricing commensurate with their new plans for it.

Not a chance. :(

I have a feeling this is the new pricing tier for some time to come. Even AMD I’m betting will raise their prices for the 7000 series as well.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
is it still gonna say 4080 on the physical cards?

guess that’s one way to blow up the reselling market

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The 4090 seems like it'd have been the perfect card to relaunch the Titan brand

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

There's a 4090 Ti on the way so they still have time to call it that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My 4090 is unusable in Windows with all the blue screening. I guess I need to wait for updated drivers or something. Sucks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If the change comes with a price drop, it’ll be quite the sleight of hand. A lot of people were set on the 4090 because it presented such good value compared to the other Ada cards. Though since they’re announcing this so early, probably not a big deal.

“Unlaunching” is a funny term, either way.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
This feels like the wrong move strategically?

The only thing worse than unveiling that poo poo model is now being contrite about it.

They come off as morally lovely and that they knew it was lovely. This is not a good look and serves no one's interests.

Instead of just "unlaunching" it (seriously what the gently caress) they should have just decreased the price.

This makes them come off as un-unified, malicious and stupid all at once.

So basically yes- Silicon Valley...

e:

Rinkles posted:

If the change comes with a price drop, it’ll be quite the sleight of hand. A lot of people were set on the 4090 because it presented such good value compared to the other Ada cards. Though since they’re announcing this so early, probably not a big deal.

“Unlaunching” is a funny term, either way.

No one buying the 4090 is going to give a poo poo about the 4070 though, and they missed the obvious opportunity to decrease the model's price, so now we're in a weird middle ground that serves no one...

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 14, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
They could also have said they're going to rename it the 4070 for consistency, rather than "unlaunching" and just doing that anyway.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

The 12GB was AIB only, right? So this lets them pretend to be "we listened to you" while shafting their partners at no risk to themselves. That sounds like the nVidia I know.

EVGA was right, I guess!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's hard to turn an 8 into a 7 so I guess it's gonna be a banner year for the sticker industry

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

power crystals posted:

The 12GB was AIB only, right? So this lets them pretend to be "we listened to you" while shafting their partners at no risk to themselves. That sounds like the nVidia I know.

EVGA was right, I guess!

Lol yes I think there wasn't going to be a FE of this one. Amazing.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

jokes posted:

It's hard to turn an 8 into a 7 so I guess it's gonna be a banner year for the sticker industry
the rtx 40snowman0

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

power crystals posted:

EVGA was right, I guess!

Shumagorath posted:

Contrition? In my Nvidia??
:lol: guess not

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
an eerie sound in the distance as evga spin back up their gpu lipstick factory to make bank on the 4080 coverup accessories

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'm actually on the edge of my seat waiting to see how they're gonna unfuck this unlaunch - part of me wants to see them make some absurd new branding like The 4080 Coupe or The 4075 or some poo poo, but part of me also wants to see them release a $900 4070 without blinking :allears:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

lmao they're "unlaunching" it because it got fully panned for obvious reasons

may you have at least this much shame every time you try something dumb like that, hey at least that means the only actual 4080 is a real upgrade now

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Taima posted:

This feels like the wrong move strategically?

If you're right and it's a bad look, most of the damage is temporary. The trying to sell a 4060 Ti as a 4080 would have followed them the whole drat generation. They pushed really hard to gently caress consumers and so far failed, now they're eating it.

Or more likely, AIBs who made reservations of the chips and made plans based on Nvidia's $900 baseline MSRP are now going to get blasted as consumers pressure the price way down.

EVGA CEO looking like a whole-rear end genius right now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

they're gonna name it the 4100 and everyone's brain is going to explode

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bondematt posted:

Oh no, they knew the whole time. They just found out how much people cared about it.

:laffo: I love it, EVGA was right & saw exactly what NV was going to pull. Now let's see if the other AIBs start putting pressure on them & start refusing hardware with profit margins that are slim to none. Buyers have a lot more power now to drive prices down since mining has gone bust lately.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 14, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DoombatINC posted:

I'm actually on the edge of my seat waiting to see how they're gonna unfuck this unlaunch - part of me wants to see them make some absurd new branding like The 4080 Coupe or The 4075 or some poo poo, but part of me also wants to see them release a $900 4070 without blinking :allears:

4070 Super Ti

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd rather NVidia fix it rather than keep the numbers screwed up all generation.

Subjunctive posted:

My 4090 is unusable in Windows with all the blue screening. I guess I need to wait for updated drivers or something. Sucks.

You do a complete driver clean with DDU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

4070 Super Ti
Go full 00’s PC Accelerator: 4070 +P Hyper Diamondback BigD Energy

These cards are all big enough to fit it on the fan shroud now.