Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

How does VR Chat deal with legs?

IK built off the unity engine IIRC, or built into the model animation packages for non-bipedal models (you can be a spider or centipede or even a talking gun, it gives no shits). It can be a little janky depending on the model, but ends up… surprise…. nobody gives a poo poo about your leg animations as long as they aren’t actively a distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Aren't leg animations like a solved problem in video games? :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Leg animations in normal games are easy.
In VR, looking down and seeing 'your' virtual legs doing something way different from what your irl legs would be doing can be offputting and weird. Especially if you're sitting down or something.
Facebook originally tried to "solve" that by having no legs and making everyone a floating torso. But enough people hated it and complained that they changed their tack. Now they're trying to do some AI bullshit to make the legs move "naturally".

And yeah VRchat just uses canned out-of-the-box walking animations. It also has the option to use leg trackers to make the virtual legs match your IRL leg movement, but you need some separate (expensive-ish) hardware for that. There are people who use full body tracking to do stuff like breakdance in VR which is pretty cool.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My favorite vid of full body VR chat tracking https://youtu.be/w3_XNVhJ23Q

With some dumber gamer meme crap mixed in too

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 14, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

quote:

staring at my vanguard 401k paycheck deduction slider, dragging it to zero with thoughts of the unlikelihood of being able to ever retire/be alive at retirement age, not sure if should hit submit button

I hit submit years ago

quote:

Your only mistake was not doing it years ago. Remember when everyone spent 2010 through 2020 puffing up the stock market? You should have never gotten in in the first place, but that is the signal to get out. They rope you in with 10 years of gains and then take all of those + more once they got the hook in you.

quote:

I maxed out my 401k from the first day I got a real job thinking I was being such a smart responsible little boy.

quote:

I hope you emptied it soon. The biggest red flag is that it is free to put money in and costs 10% of whatever you have left to take it out.

quote:

Yeah this is how I've been looking at it for awhile now. The idea that my 401k money will still be waiting for me when I hit 65, or that USD will still be a thing, or that currency will still be a thing, or that (probably the most likely one) I'll even be alive is pretty laughable.

quote:

i should stop putting money into my 401k??

quote:

We will all be dead in the climate wars of 2035, and the survivors won't give a poo poo about their savings. - None of the above happens, and even if you did put 20% of your income into your 401K and it went up 6% a year on average, inflation will far outpace the earnings, and you will still die destitute.

quote:

if your 401k was generally believed to be something that would end up giving you a pile of cash to stop working at some point, you wouldn't be allowed to have one

quote:

The only things that are actual investments worth having are easy access to water, guns, a large radicalized family, and land.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

quote:

When you retire you don't pull all your 401k down at once just a monthly amount so you can keep trying to earn a bit more. So it's not like we're going to hit 65 and pull out everything.

Imagine having lived through 2008 and 2020 and still keeping your money in the markets even a second longer than you absolutely have to lmao

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Leg animations in normal games are easy.
In VR, looking down and seeing 'your' virtual legs doing something way different from what your irl legs would be doing can be offputting and weird. Especially if you're sitting down or something.
Facebook originally tried to "solve" that by having no legs and making everyone a floating torso. But enough people hated it and complained that they changed their tack. Now they're trying to do some AI bullshit to make the legs move "naturally".

And yeah VRchat just uses canned out-of-the-box walking animations. It also has the option to use leg trackers to make the virtual legs match your IRL leg movement, but you need some separate (expensive-ish) hardware for that. There are people who use full body tracking to do stuff like breakdance in VR which is pretty cool.

Yeah honestly, canned out-of-box is more than good enough for like 95%+ of uses, and I see absolutely no reason that usual corporate use is more than a routine IK package can handle, especially if they're limiting models to routine humanoids, presumably based on a common base. They're either over-engineering this poo poo or reinventing the wheel. This is a solved problem.

Also, it occurred to me: Their legless model idea also already exists in the wild, too. Look at "Rec Room" for a game that did that already and better.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 14, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You know, that may actually be a selling point. A lot of middle managers are having trouble demonstrating much value in an all remote environment. It turns out that if you just let people manage their own time and priorities within reason, work still gets done even without the watchful eye of a bunch of people doing no actual work.

They can't get people back into the office, but VR provides a new walled garden where all that middle management chaff can pretend to be useful again. The employees don't want it, it's not going to get more work done, but if it gives management the illusion of control that may be enough to sell some of these things.

My company went through this during the pandemic when a lot of employees went remote. A good chunk of my fellow managers wanted to have the employees leave webcams on all the time, and did daily check ins where they asked the employees to describe exactly what they did each day.

I pretty much pretended my employees didn't exist unless I needed to talk about goals and initiatives. Show up online an hour late? Hey, as long as your poo poo gets done I don't care. Want to go to take your kid to school so need to take a two hour lunch? Knock yourself out, I know you'll stay late some day to make up for it.

Guess which department was more productive.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Outcomes, not output.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The BWM is coming from inside the forums.

Honestly, these quotes dunk on <that place> more effectively than all the folks in <that other place> complaining about them ever could.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 14, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

LanceHunter posted:

The BWM is coming from inside the forums.

Honestly, these quotes dunk on CSPAM more effectively than all the folks in GBS complaining about them ever could.

Let's try not to say where they came from. I'm not trying to dunk on them as a whole, those are just in the economics thread and lol.

This also came up in the sagas thread recently:

In the neverending saga news here's another example of "don't loving give a single goon all your money" the time the Goonbucks thread had a major 'hiccup' when the goon running it decided to use the money to support a political candidate in Delaware and people lost their mind over it.

quote:

Here's the deal, there's a lot of our cspam fellow posters that sometimes can't make ends meet and they end up needing maybe $30 or $40 to get through the week/end of month to buy some food, or some paper to whipe their rear end.

Well, we had a pretty great system going until it burned down into a pile of embers, but rising from that fire is this thread...the goon fund paetron.

I know, you're all thinking who the gently caress is Plinkey, and what are they going to do with my $5 a month donation?

Well, you'll never know, that's the thing, because I'm not going to call out goons that are hard up and need an extra $50 to not get kicked out of their apartment.

I will post no tesitimonials, or PM quotes, if you want to endorse this thing or not, it's up to you.

https://www.patreon.com/goonfood

quote:

just pm or email me, that's the easiest way, it'll just sit in my venmo (prefered, because it seems that most people use venmo) or paypal

my venmo address is not the email above so please dont send money to it, email me at that address for my venmo username

quote:

quote:

I might be dense, but where is the line item for gambling returns.

plz ban urself

quote:

noice

quote:

The OP decides to get creative with the concept of charity:

quote:

So, for tonight,I'm going to help out Nicheal and if we raise enough money we can get him killed instantly in this thing:

https://www.twitch.tv/jessica_scarane

all money that comes in today goes to this, tomorrow its back goon food

quote:

quote:

also, it's the "food for goons" fund, you can't just suddenly start spending it on whatever random thing you decide

i believe you're trying to do good, but for the love of god, get loving legal here or you're gonna end up in deep poo poo you don't deserve

cool 1 donate for $25

THANKS FOR PLAYING gently caress OFF

They also bought a gaming laptop for someone "for school."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 14, 2022

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

At this point I'm just gonna post my own Wallet Inspector thread because goons can't help but hand over money to anyone who asks and I want a cut of that.

Honestly this one lasted way longer than I thought it was going to when I first saw the banner ad back then.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pham Nuwen posted:

At this point I'm just gonna post my own Wallet Inspector thread because goons can't help but hand over money to anyone who asks and I want a cut of that.

Honestly this one lasted way longer than I thought it was going to when I first saw the banner ad back then.

Good news for your quest: That one is still going despite a few "oopsies" where the money went to mysterious places and is actually up to over $3.6k a month in donations.

Not sure if anybody is going to be able to top 50's Girl Groupon who managed to get well over $35k (plus somewhere between $3k and $10k in non-GoFundMe direct payments) from goons before they got caught and then autobanned. To be fair, I think they were not scamming initially, but started after they figured out they could make a living off of the donations and started having miraculous recoveries and relapses for two years.

Edit:

:eyepop:

pentyne posted:

I'm gonna be 100% clear, I would take good faith assumptions that the whole point behind the fund was always to help people and not to demand proof of hardship or anything like that and despite some super dumb reactions plinkey is probably big on wanting to help people as much as they can. Being said

quote:

Thank you. May I request the usual monthly? And have fun with the video patreon.

quote:

like i told you before, yes, but the amount you've asked for is like over a grand

Why the gently caress is one person asking for and getting a regular $1k/mo?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 14, 2022

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not sure if anybody is going to be able to top 50's Girl Groupon who managed to get well over $35k (plus somewhere between $3k and $10k in non-GoFundMe direct payments) from goons before they got caught and then autobanned. To be fair, I think they were not scamming initially, but started after they figured out they could make a living off of the donations and started having miraculous recoveries and relapses for two years.

Do we have a story for this / link? I may need to add another one to my list of goons I BWM'd by donating to. :lol:

E: Are you thinking of someone else? She's not banned, and posted as recently as last month.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 14, 2022

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Sundae posted:

Do we have a story for this / link? I may need to add another one to my list of goons I BWM'd by donating to. :lol:

E: Are you thinking of someone else? She's not banned, and posted as recently as last month.

I'd missed this as well, start from here

I wonder if this one will also end up in the memory hole

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sundae posted:

Autobanned last month: https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=166118

Autobanned user avatars don't change.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Autobanned user avatars don't change.

Ah, I forgot that. Yep, add this one to my list of BWM by giving goons money list. :lol:

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

And yeah VRchat just uses canned out-of-the-box walking animations. It also has the option to use leg trackers to make the virtual legs match your IRL leg movement, but you need some separate (expensive-ish) hardware for that

Imagine businesses spending money on leg sensors for their office staff so that people don't get distracted by their fake legs during meetings that should've just been emails.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Kenshin posted:

Aren't leg animations like a solved problem in video games? :v:

Yeah Roblox

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

I bet there's some boomers out there who had similar retirement plans, but the Russians didn't end up nuking us, dollars are still real, and people don't just fall over and die as soon as they can't work anymore, so they must be hosed. Hoping for the apocalypse and just ended up with the same mundane too poor to afford human food retirement that all the normies get.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean we will get that apocalypse, that’s not really up for debate at this point, it’s just a matter of when

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean we will get that apocalypse, that’s not really up for debate at this point, it’s just a matter of when

Feeling more hopeful now that one of the dumbest people on the entire forums posted this prediction, maybe we'll be saved after all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

an iksar marauder posted:

Feeling more hopeful now that one of the dumbest people on the entire forums posted this prediction, maybe we'll be saved after all.

The most amazing thing is that you and others don't have that shiposter on ignore already.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

So where do I post this so others can make fun of it. Because if you sincerely believe this you are dumber than any of the posters you are making fun of

Which isn’t shocking because I don’t think anyone here is nearly as smart as they clearly want to be seen as

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Those of us who are still posting in something awful in 2023 are definitely not smart, yes

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

So where do I post this so others can make fun of it. Because if you sincerely believe this you are dumber than any of the posters you are making fun of

Which isn’t shocking because I don’t think anyone here is nearly as smart as they clearly want to be seen as

so which of the quotes in Leon's post was yours?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I love the idea of "having" land in the event of apocalyptic societal collapse.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's funny that they are putting so much effort into making vr mimic real life. Isn't the whole point that it isn't exactly real life? Human legs, pff, who needs 'em

drk
Jan 16, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Those of us who are still posting in something awful in 2023 are definitely not smart, yes

I'm only still posting cuz I haven't gotten my :10bux: worth

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Which thread do CSPAM posters hate the most: BWM, Stocks, or the long term investing/retirement thread?

:ohdear:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Residency Evil posted:

Which thread do CSPAM posters hate the most: BWM, Stocks, or the long term investing/retirement thread?

The house buying thread and rental thread were both invaded by CSPAM at one point. The house buying thread barely survived and the rental thread has been closed and never re-opened.

So, probably those two.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I just went check on the rental thread and it has been closed for over 3 years, but the best thing is that one of the repeated complaints people had in there was that BFC was monstrous forum because "their most popular thread is devoted entirely to making fun of someone with some mild self-control problems" and multiple people defending Zaurg as a victim of capitalism who had no choice in his fate.

lmao.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I just went check on the rental thread and it has been closed for over 3 years, but the best thing is that one of the repeated complaints people had in there was that BFC was monstrous forum because "their most popular thread is devoted entirely to making fun of someone with some mild self-control problems" and multiple people defending Zaurg as a victim of capitalism who had no choice in his fate.

lmao.

I paid for this and I'm drat well gonna use it again: :wellpiss:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Currently anything Ukraine related. Before that the landlord thread.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Look, as a CSPAM poster, I don't go looking up all of you all's posts in AI and writing them in here, and I would ask a similar consideration.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

The landlord thread was pretty poo poo, though. If it was just about the financial aspects of it, whatever, but if I remember correctly, it involved slumlording as well as discussions of some stuff which was either straight up illegal or just almost unanimously deemed distasteful like turning off heat during cold winters or whatever.

Anyway, make friends so you're good if everything collapses, make money so you're good if it doesn't.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The landlord thread was pretty poo poo, though. If it was just about the financial aspects of it, whatever, but if I remember correctly, it involved slumlording as well as discussions of some stuff which was either straight up illegal or just almost unanimously deemed distasteful like turning off heat during cold winters or whatever.

Anyway, make friends so you're good if everything collapses, make money so you're good if it doesn't.

Yes, one person who was immediately berated for it said some things like that. You're going to paint the entire thread that way now?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Stop quoting him ffs

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Motronic posted:

Yes, one person who was immediately berated for it said some things like that. You're going to paint the entire thread that way now?

I remembered more, but maybe that was just amplification of the most controversial posts, like when 2 pages of the house buying thread were about the guy who let sewage float over his yard

an iksar marauder fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Motronic posted:

gently caress all landlords tbh.