Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

...that’s why “extreme weather” as proof of climate change can be downplayed by some.

It can also be downplayed by said "some" because more often than not they know they don't have to put up with it for much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you're younger than 50 you have no memory of a normal winter, they have all been freakishly hot. You have to read about winter in history books to know what normal was.

Do you live in the South or something?

The Great Lakes region definitely had cold as gently caress winters throughout the 90s.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Pattern shift still looks on track for around Oct 22 or so CPC has higher probability for above normal rainfall across the west.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I always thought it was weird that the first time I saw snow growing up in Mississippi was when I was around 7 or 8, but after that it seemed like it snowed almost every year.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

hobbesmaster posted:

in general however the accumulated snow is less I. the last decade, with one major, absurd exception. the warmer extreme events are occurring more but it’s all within the range of living experience. it’s just, fluke events are happening once a year instead of once a decade. that does not bode well for the future, but that’s why “extreme weather” as proof of climate change can be downplayed by some.

Nah, it's not even that. People just normalize things and will invent memories to support their bias towards normalcy.

You see it with heat waves a lot. Somewhere will have a streak of days above 100 degrees, and people will just brush it off and say "oh, it always gets that hot here." Except, inevitably, the actual records will show that >100 days are vanishingly rare in whatever area and basically unprecedented in long streaks. But it doesn't matter, because people remember that one time it was hot, so it's normal to be really, really hot for an exceptionally long period, even if it's not normal at all.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

Nah, it's not even that. People just normalize things and will invent memories to support their bias towards normalcy.

You see it with heat waves a lot. Somewhere will have a streak of days above 100 degrees, and people will just brush it off and say "oh, it always gets that hot here." Except, inevitably, the actual records will show that >100 days are vanishingly rare in whatever area and basically unprecedented in long streaks. But it doesn't matter, because people remember that one time it was hot, so it's normal to be really, really hot for an exceptionally long period, even if it's not normal at all.

Conversely, this thread often acts like everything is the Most Extreme Ever. Extremes are happening with increased frequency, but that doesn't mean everything is unprecedented.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The last normal winter in the USA was 1976/77, what you remember in the 90s was way hotter than normal.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SirPablo posted:

Pattern shift still looks on track for around Oct 22 or so CPC has higher probability for above normal rainfall across the west.

Sickos.jpg

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do you live in the South or something?

The Great Lakes region definitely had cold as gently caress winters throughout the 90s.

They were still significantly warmer than the historical average

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Conversely, this thread often acts like everything is the Most Extreme Ever. Extremes are happening with increased frequency, but that doesn't mean everything is unprecedented.

it does kinda feel like there's a lot of poo poo going down already though

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

500excf type r posted:

They were still significantly warmer than the historical average
how much is the historical average skewed by the little ice age(s), though?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FFT posted:

how much is the historical average skewed by the little ice age(s), though?

no size shaming please

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

CODChimera posted:

hmm maybe, or perhaps I should be concerned that the daily average high this month has been hovering around 75F vice the normal ~58F

nah, I’ll just fixate instead on extremes like the forecast high for Sunday being 82F lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

CODChimera posted:

Sure, when you see tweets of extremes from all over the planet (not just one location or a small area), it seems like it is happening all the time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pryor on Fire posted:

The last normal winter in the USA was 1976/77, what you remember in the 90s was way hotter than normal.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

SirPablo posted:

Sure, when you see tweets of extremes from all over the planet (not just one location or a small area), it seems like it is happening all the time.

Lol well that sounds fine

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Guys it's fine the extremes are happening everywhere, it's not that bad

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
SirPablo is our assigned FBI agent

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

maxwellhill posted:

SirPablo is our assigned FBI agent

the fishmech of weather

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's only 1.58F over normal for 46 years in a row, this is not extreme or weird. The hysteria in the thread is the real problem.

https://twitter.com/NOAA/status/1580934771093299200

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

The hysteria in the thread is the real problem.

Nah see this is a good post with broadly applicable data or analysis. But if you think hysteria helps then ok.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

climate change can take the forecast high of 87 degrees tomorrow and cram it up it's rear end

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

climate change can take the forecast high of 87 degrees tomorrow and cram it up it's rear end

here in Minnesota there is snow on the ground so global warming is fake news

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Aw yeah that's the stuff

https://twitter.com/amtvmedia/status/1580645679159918592?s=20&t=BDNMeBY3wvXcMo9CsvZRpA

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
doomers go back to the biosphere thread tia this is the rubbernecking thread not the existential support group

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Extended forecast looking more promising for rain not this weekend but next. I guess at this point I’ll believe it when it happens but I’m ready

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lol jeuss christ

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

It's about time

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i think it’s getting hotter than average and that’s probably bad

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

you could say that was faster than expected

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's only 1.58F over normal for 46 years in a row, this is not extreme or weird. The hysteria in the thread is the real problem.

https://twitter.com/NOAA/status/1580934771093299200

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

yup, 95% of this forum's userbase has never experienced a "normal" winter

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I don't live across the entire planet

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
sir pablo so fat he don't live ACROSS the entire planet, he lives AROUND it

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
To me (genius), weather is normal

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

all weather is valid, don't climateshame :angel:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Extended forecast looking more promising for rain not this weekend but next. I guess at this point I’ll believe it when it happens but I’m ready

Last weekend the extended forecast said we'd have rain this weekend

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Dog Case posted:

Last weekend the extended forecast said we'd have rain this weekend

last weekend you said you'd call sears!

as much as I enjoy sunshine and warmth it's hella weird to go this long without rain, hopefully the extended forecast is right this time

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

last weekend you said you'd call sears!

as much as I enjoy sunshine and warmth it's hella weird to go this long without rain, hopefully the extended forecast is right this time

Last week it was teasing a 30% chance for Monday. This week it’s teasing a 50% for both Saturday and Sunday which is a little more promising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

I don't live across the entire planet