Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the worst movie tie-ins were PS1 stuff, perfect storm of no one giving a poo poo, not being sure how this new 3D stuff worked and CDs making game distribution cheap enough any price of crap movie could get a tie in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rox
Sep 7, 2016

SeXReX posted:

Bebe's Kids

no bevis
no vibes

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I hope Spirit Island gets a sequel and it revolves around getting revenge on the settlers by invading them back

basically the Aztec invasion from Crusader Kings, but in boardgame format

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Rugrats PS1 game wasn't specifically a movie adaptation but it adapted the show and was timed around the movie's release.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
If we're going beyond Disney movies (well, at the time), the Super Star Wars series was really good if not frustratingly difficult. The wampas on Hoth still haunt me.

I think one of the weirdest tie ins I played was a demo for a FPS based on Disney's Atlantis. It was a multiplayer game kind of like Quake???

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

PunkBoy posted:

If we're going beyond Disney movies (well, at the time), the Super Star Wars series was really good if not frustratingly difficult. The wampas on Hoth still haunt me.

I think one of the weirdest tie ins I played was a demo for a FPS based on Disney's Atlantis. It was a multiplayer game kind of like Quake???

I had to look up the Atlantis game because I remembered a pretty standard action platformer, and there apparently was a PC exclusive game called Atlantis: Trial by Fire, which indeed was an FPS. IGN called it "incredibly short, small, and fairly uninspired" and recommended to avoid the game.

I dimly recall enjoying the Disney Hercules game on the PS1, but it probably wouldn't be very good if I were to try it now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Factor 5 also did a game based on all three Indiana Jones movies that.. Well it was about on par with their later SNES Star Wars games for whatever that's worth.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The Terminator game on Sega CD is also pretty cool

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Infinitum posted:

I sorta want to buy Gotham Knights at launch

literally every gamer instinct I have is screaming "no", but my hands are inching ever closer to the buy button

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Kerrzhe posted:

:toot:

my hands are always too shaky to keep playing after a promotion lol :dogcited:

Kuni is the best :3:

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Anyone been playing Omega Strikers? Been having a lot of fun with murder air hockey/windjammers myself.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wahahahaha

https://twitter.com/seldo/status/1580714050706554880

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Come on Zuck I developed legs years ago and I was still in the womb, catch up

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

There should be a video game version of the French Resistance holodeck program from the episode of Star Trek: Voyager where aliens board the ship and the crew has to hide inside it with the safety off, like a French Resistance action-RPG with a character creator and spy intrigue, but with different optional sci-fi or fantasy elements you can throw into the vanilla, historically accurate fiction story

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 14, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

GONNA BUY TWO COPIES OF KNIGHTS NOW

nooooooo

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm having the nudge to get back into Zelda randomizers after YT's algorithm decided sinve I watched a Wind Waker one to drown my feed on it, but man I hate my anxiety making me worry about anything I download for the tracking. I just wanna bash my head finding the sword after clearing 7 dungeons...

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

all they had to do was buy the rights to Playstation Home on the ps3 for cents on the dollar, and it would still look better than this

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
gonna start playing borderlands 3 on mute while watching king of the hill/beavis and butthead :hai:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Whizzing Wizard posted:

all they had to do was buy the rights to Playstation Home on the ps3 for cents on the dollar, and it would still look better than this

poo poo, the battle hub in street fighter 6 looks better than this

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
can't even do spinning bird kick in the metaverse

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

initial scorn impression: it's very solid for what it is, which is a walking sim with occasional puzzles and some light gunplay. the real star of the show is, of course, the environment, which is an incredible fusion of geiger's biomechanical style and beksinski's monolithic nightmare landscapes, and this is all heightened by them relying entirely on environmental storytelling without a single bit of dialogue or text logs to guide you along. this does occasionally lead to some "what the gently caress am i supposed to do" moments, but it's linear enough of an experience that you're not expected to dramatically backtrack or rely on distant elements to solve the self-contained puzzles

if you want a spooky halloween title, definitely pick this one up

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If you're gonna lie about your poo poo at least lie in a way that makes it sound cool.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Billions of dollars going into great use

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cut them some slack, it's not like they can walk it back

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Phantasium posted:

cut them some slack, it's not like they can walk it back

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vermain posted:

initial scorn impression: it's very solid for what it is, which is a walking sim with occasional puzzles and some light gunplay. the real star of the show is, of course, the environment, which is an incredible fusion of geiger's biomechanical style and beksinski's monolithic nightmare landscapes, and this is all heightened by them relying entirely on environmental storytelling without a single bit of dialogue or text logs to guide you along. this does occasionally lead to some "what the gently caress am i supposed to do" moments, but it's linear enough of an experience that you're not expected to dramatically backtrack or rely on distant elements to solve the self-contained puzzles

if you want a spooky halloween title, definitely pick this one up

It's pretty much the perfect Gamepass game, a ~5 hour 'experience' that I would probably have balked at paying money to own but will happy play for the monthly sub.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it made a really bad first impression with that stupid egg puzzle but i haven't hit any speedbumps since

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

PunkBoy posted:

Which 90s movie tie in games were good? I remember having Toy Story, but I only recall playing Lion King and Aladdin at friends' houses.
t
Edit: Oh, I did have the Game Gear versions of Lion King and Aladdin. They weren't great!

The Addams Family game was a solid enough platformer, as was Lethal Weapon weirdly enough.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Super Mario Bros game on snes was really good, though I think that somehow came out before the movie?? It was weird

rox
Sep 7, 2016

addams family on nes was one of the first video games i ever played and i dont think the getting hurt followed by dying sound will ever leave my brain

or the unmarked door that leads to instant death

rox
Sep 7, 2016

or the insanely difficult freezer area

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

In honor of Spooktober I am currently playing my first Castlevania, Circle of the Moon on the Switch.

Despite being a GBA port, it has a strong aesthetic that looks pretty good on the TV. it has the appropriate amount of skeletons and bats and poo poo. It IS a little weird that the bgm for the area I'm currently in is just nonstop surf music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ5zCeVmEYY&list=PL6E9hVlff2TGtTrycPDs4BTQtHbnb3Wji&index=6

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 14, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Ghostbusters game on the Genesis is surprisingly good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gently caress yeah level 90 in Final Fantasy XIV.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

gently caress yeah level 90 in Final Fantasy XIV.

hell yeah grats what class

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Asterite34 posted:

In honor of Spooktober I am currently playing my first Castlevania, Circle of the Moon on the Switch.

Despite being a GBA port, it has a strong aesthetic that looks pretty good on the TV. it has the appropriate amount of skeletons and bats and poo poo. It IS a little weird that the bgm for the area I'm currently in is just nonstop surf music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ5zCeVmEYY&list=PL6E9hVlff2TGtTrycPDs4BTQtHbnb3Wji&index=6

The original version of that song from Bloodlines on the Mega Drive was a lot less surf-y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9KyV4zrdvE

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

hell yeah grats what class

Dragoon, so gotta find a new job now.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

hatty posted:

The Ghostbusters game on the Genesis is surprisingly good

So is 'the new Ghostbusters II' on nes.

The port of the really awful Ghostbusters game for the master system is actually almost a real video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Captain Planet NES game is about as good as you could expect a Captain Planet tie-in for NES to be. It makes use of negative space and outlines fading to black to make you imagine more was drawn on-screen than was really drawn on-screen. Each level has two stages, one where you control a vehicle with fire/wind/water/earth shoot-'em-up powers, then a Captain Planet platformer level. It's a shame it didn't come out during the height of tie-in media during the PS2/Xbox gen or later, because an ideal adaptation would let you switch between individual Planeteers with AI/co-op team support and elemental combo moves.