Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Booking.com and Priceline have both seriously hosed me over (my fault for letting this happen twice). They are worthless services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I only used booking because the other random site wanted to charge me for choosing my seat. I won't again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As someone whose Japan trip was significantly cut by a flight ticket error I offer sympathy. I loving used a travel agent, in our lord's year of 2019, because I was scared that would happen, and it still did.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Waltzing Along posted:

Maybe not. loving booking.com screwed up and never charged my card. No reservation. Same flight is now currently 2.5x as much as when I booked, which I won't do. So now is the waiting game to see if appropriate flights drop back to sane levels again.

Never had this happen before. Won't ever use booking again. Only reason I went there is the first place was nickle and diming to choose my seats.

E: sometimes finding flights is so freaking stupid. Just for reference, the flight was around $1350. SFO>TYO, KIX > TYO > SFO. Right now that same flight is around $2700. However, if I drop the KIX > TYO. It's $1350 again. And I can book the exact same KIX > TYO flight for $50.

How stupid is that?

ALGORITHMS

also, poo poo that sucks. i used the sfo > kix route like 4 times. :rip: i'm dreading the prospect of a 14.5 hour flight from jfk to hnd.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Phone posted:

ALGORITHMS

also, poo poo that sucks. i used the sfo > kix route like 4 times. :rip: i'm dreading the prospect of a 14.5 hour flight from jfk to hnd.

13.5 hours DFW-HND for us, but it’s in business class thanks to airline miles

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

My dad’s staring down Christmas flights over $5000 round trip, and we’re hoping Delta actually brings back DL68/69 as expected because otherwise that’s not going to happen.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
When it comes to flight, always book direct. When bad poo poo happens like rescheduling or refunds or bad weather, direct-airline customers get served before everyone else.

I think everyone here in this thread is just getting old and sloppier- always check for a the confirmation letter when you make for bookings and check if the details are correct.

I actually like booking.com ‘s hotel booking UI compared to hotels.com (gimmick 10 nights give you 1 free).

Funny enough, corporate travel agents really take care of you. They just book you on another flight immediately when bad poo poo happens and deal with the backlog on their own time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think what happened is I booked my flight. While I was booking, the price from ANA changed. Then booking.com tried to confirm the registration and it errored out and on my end got stuck in pending. It's still pending now even though their (awful) customer service says it has timed out and won't finish processing and "we are sorry the price has doubled."

I'll still figure it out, just might cost $150 more which sucks.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thread poll update
14 Oct 2022 10:47 AM

Did you Japan?

Hai sempai 168 37.84%
No 45 10.14%
Unknown 26 5.86%
Goku 205 46.17%
Total: 444 votes

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I think what happened is I booked my flight. While I was booking, the price from ANA changed. Then booking.com tried to confirm the registration and it errored out and on my end got stuck in pending. It's still pending now even though their (awful) customer service says it has timed out and won't finish processing and "we are sorry the price has doubled."

I'll still figure it out, just might cost $150 more which sucks.

$150 lmao if you're whinging about an extra 150 you shouldn't be traveling at all

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

peanut posted:

Thread poll update
14 Oct 2022 10:47 AM

Did you Japan?

Hai sempai 168 37.84%
No 45 10.14%
Unknown 26 5.86%
Goku 205 46.17%
Total: 444 votes

first past the post is bullshit

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Never use an OTA for booking flights, always book direct.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

peanut posted:

$150 lmao if you're whinging about an extra 150 you shouldn't be traveling at all

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Should we assume you meant $1500

Always price check in incognito/private mode before you commit

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

People like haven’t caught up to the fact that we’ve got hella inflation and wealth inequality now and still think $150 is a large amount of money when it comes to travel.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Getting together with my travel companions this weekend to plan out and hopefully book our trip for March. We had initially been thinking of a little over a week in Tokyo, and about a week in Kyoto with an overnight in Nara, but based on what people have been saying in here over the last week or so, I'm thinking maybe splitting up the Kyoto portion of the trip.

So, what I'm thinking is sticking with 8-9 days in Tokyo, but splitting the latter part of the trip between Osaka and Kyoto. It would look something like:

Fly Seattle-Tokyo
8-9 days Tokyo
Shinkansen to Osaka - Local train to Nara
One night in a ryokan in Nara (this seems like a good halfway point chill in a hot springs kind of thing to do)
Local train to Kyoto
3-4 days in Kyoto
Local train to Osaka
3-4 days in Osaka
Fly Osaka-Seattle

Does that seem like a pretty reasonable schedule that's not too harried? I don't want to feel like we're constantly rushing from one place to another, want to trip to be pretty chill. I'm into history, my companions are into infrastructure, and we're all into food & drink.

There are three of us, and peanut recommended the Art House Nippori Lungwood for Tokyo; I'd love a good recommendation for Osaka/Kyoto hotels, we're pretty utilitarian, splitting a triple room is great, we'll be spending most of our time doing poo poo rather than hanging out in the hotel. For Nara, what's the best way to find a ryokan? For that particular night, I think it'd be a good time to splurge on something fancy, so upscale would be great.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I personally think that's too many days in Tokyo+Osaka (esp. Tokyo) and you could move one or two days to Kyoto and/or add a trip somewhere else like Hiroshima or Kanazawa which are both around 1-2 nights (2 full days)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Keep in mind you can spend like $1,000/night on a ryokan and not even scrape the high end. Gets expensive quick. Putting that stay on a weekday should help though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

Keep in mind you can spend like $1,000/night on a ryokan and not even scrape the high end. Gets expensive quick. Putting that stay on a weekday should help though.

Okay, so maybe not the super-high end, but I think we could definitely do like $600.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Honestly I always just go to Google Maps and search "hotel near _____ station" and scroll through photos.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

peanut posted:

Honestly I always just go to Google Maps and search "hotel near _____ station" and scroll through photos.

is there some kind of catch with the $38 and $45 hotels here

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

This is what I did when I booked the trip initially, just not a lot of confidence in it. I've stayed in some really awful places in the U.S. before on the basis of "looks good enough," so I'd really rather have a Goon recommendation so there's at least one person who tried it and found it to be okay.

Also, this seems pretty easy for a hotel, but I'm a lot less confident in my ability to find a ryokan this way. For a ryokan in Nara, is it basically going to be a direct thing of "more expensive = better," or are there specific things to be looking for?

I'm probably overthinking all of this, but it's my first trip to Japan, and my first real vacation in like... six years by the time it happens, so I want it to be great.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

harperdc posted:

Any specific “high end” names? I was looking for some and the highest I found were in the 1k/night range (USD).

Edit: or do you mean ones that don’t take foreigners lol

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Didn’t I post a nice ryokan in Kyoto without being toooooo bad.

Ryokan Yuzuya

And you have a Japanese speaking friend right? Hopefully your friend can try to find something in the Japanese speaking travel forums and get something even more *authentic*

All in all. I highly recommend Dormy Inn

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've never stayed at a bad cheap hotel in Japan, even for stuff under 100 a night. The level of cleanliness is always above any other country I've stayed in, just don't expect space for anything except sleeping, shittin' and showering.

If you want to spoil yourself, royal park Yokohama was the nicest/most reasonable upmarket place I've ever stayed in, view from the 68th floor was *chefs kiss*

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Virtue posted:

Any specific “high end” names? I was looking for some and the highest I found were in the 1k/night range (USD).

Edit: or do you mean ones that don’t take foreigners lol

Lots of nice places here: https://akogare.jp/
In my experience anywhere that costs more than like 30,000 yen a night will be perfectly fine with foreigners (though they might or might or might not need at least one person to speak Japanese).
Especially given the thinning population of affluent Japanese people.

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I stayed in 8 different hotels/hostels on my last visit, 5-11K yen per night, and the worst "problem" I encountered was a thin mattress in one hostel. I just found them through booking.com and looked at the reviews. Japan is easy mode when it comes to accommodation and food.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

By default it will search for "today" so those prices could be off peak, day use, tiny single, or large group rates.

https://www.hmi-ryokan.jp/heiannomori/en/smart/
My friends stayed here in Kyoto. Family size rooms, big shared bath, Westernized service that was easy to understand.

http://guest-house-rakuza.hotels-in-kyoto.com/ja/
I stayed here for a retro guesthouse in Gion.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/daiya-ryokan.en-gb.html
We stayed here on our first trip to Japan ever. Small, old, too authentic? Great location.

Kyoto also has loads of hostels with private room options.

peanut fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 15, 2022

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

My wife and I stayed at the Hiiragiya ryokan in Kyoto a few years ago. They had a private onsen but it was men’s/women’s. It was really nice but I can’t say I really liked the ryokan experience, the service was just too much. Someone is assigned to your room and they come in and serve dinner in the room, roll out the futons for you, lay out the yukata for you, etc. and are kind of omnipresent. I wasn’t prepared for that level of attention.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
The goon who is planning on going to Yufuin needs to go to Shimon-yu and check if it's still cool
下ん湯

Yufuincho Kawakami, Yufu, Oita 879-5102, Hapani
+81 977-84-3111

https://g.co/kgs/J6i7aF

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

They're haunted, by a long haired pale girl, which I guess Japanese people think is scary, for some reason

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ill buy a "haunted" akiya someday because im clever enough to not believe in ghosts and get a good deal

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

fresh off the boat reddit guy hanging his Bleach poster in his 80 year old house with no insulation or pest control in the middle of nowhere:

"this is gonna be the best summer ever :clint:"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If he's from New Zealand, trust me, it'd be nothing he ain't used to already.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
is concert ticket scalping still a thing? i saw the news about it being made illegal (or at least some form of it) in june 2019.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Shibawanko posted:

ill buy a "haunted" akiya someday because im clever enough to not believe in ghosts and get a good deal

We can be business partners.

I’ll talk to the ghosts for you.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Did this guy really just try to equate Japanese summer with New Zealand summer

I demand your long form birth certificate and your entry and exit stamps on your passport, I don’t think you have ever been to Japan in the summer

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Shibawanko posted:

I bought a cheap house in the countryside 3 years ago and it is the best decision I have ever made. Life here is wonderful!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

AHH F/UGH posted:

Did this guy really just try to equate Japanese summer with New Zealand summer

I demand your long form birth certificate and your entry and exit stamps on your passport, I don’t think you have ever been to Japan in the summer

Oh, I was more biting at the 'No insulation, no pest control, mold everywhere, house is a piece of poo poo' aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ned posted:

I bought a cheap house in the countryside 3 years ago and it is the best decision I have ever made. Life here is wonderful!

Can we visit you in NRT, it’s been years