Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's the moment to moment combat in this game like? It's traditional tab targeting right? Where's the difficulty in overland encounters and "friction" in gameplay, on a scale that runs EQ, Wow Classic, FF14?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's the moment to moment combat in this game like? It's traditional tab targeting right? Where's the difficulty in overland encounters and "friction" in gameplay, on a scale that runs EQ, Wow Classic, FF14?

90-95% of overland content can be soloed. Not sure what you mean by “friction” in gameplay but I found interacting with the UI and the various fiddly subsystems much, much more annoying in FF14 than in LotRO or WoW Classic.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
my elf hunter is slogging through west rohan

west rohan is without a doubt the worst content in lotro

- go to a mead hall and talk to thane
- thane tells you everything is broken but he can't do anything about it
- surprise, saruman has a traitor in thane's court
- deal with it
- get sent to next mead hall

occasionally you go to edoras and cheer up eowyn who is emo because she can't run into an orc spear and die

sometimes you'll be thrown into an instance where you have to use mounted combat or you will die
occasionally you'll be thrown into an instance where you have to keep 3 or 4 NPCs alive or you will die
every so often a mob will just kill you anyway because it has some wacky dot that SSG broke and never fixed that does 1500 damage a tick and you have 4000 hit points

and you have to do it all because each freaking zone has a class trait point at the end of the quest line and other people will laugh at you if you don't have all your trait points

gondor calls for aid and goddamit i'm so there

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 13, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ever played WoW?

The combat is basically WoW with maybe a few embellishments here and there.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lum_ posted:

my elf hunter is slogging through west rohan

west rohan is without a doubt the worst content in lotro

- go to a mead hall and talk to thane
- thane tells you everything is broken but he can't do anything about it
- surprise, saruman has a traitor in thane's court
- deal with it
- get sent to next mead hall

You forgot “earn the thane’s trust by doing 6-12 sidequests for various citizens”. :shepicide:

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I wonder how badly that Helm's Deep expansion hurt them, cause I agree it is by far the worst content in the game, it took me till Mordor came out to actually finish the questline, I would come back periodically and do a few quests and just get bored out of my mind. I was surprised with how good Gondor and Mordor turned out after how bad West Rohan turned out to be.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Eh, IMO it was still ahead of the hugely tedious slog that was East Rohan. Not by much, but still.

West Rohan at least let you visit some famous set pieces like Meduseld, the Hornburg and the Paths of the Dead. East Rohan was literally nothing but thanes and mead halls. And Wildermore I guess.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 13, 2022

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ever played WoW?

The combat is basically WoW with maybe a few embellishments here and there.

Not sure how much WoW has changed in the last decade, but LotRO definitely relies less on auto-attacks than WoW did when I played it. The combat flow is closer to FF14 in that regard, where auto attacks happen but you’re really just using abilities the whole time.

But less combat combo building for the most part and very few positionals. Also much less in the way of dodging mechanics, at least what I’ve played early on.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

HPanda posted:

But less combat combo building for the most part and very few positionals. Also much less in the way of dodging mechanics, at least what I’ve played early on.

Look at this non warden over here

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

Look at this non warden over here

Yes. Yes, I think I will keep it that way.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Glancing nervously at quest item to go into East Rohan

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Rohan 1 (I can never remember which one’s east and which is west) was very bad, definitely the worst content in the game. The setting is boring, warhorses and mounted combat seemed really cool at first, but it quickly became apparent that they were not once you actually used them. Wildermore in particular is interminable, especially because it was the final zone for a couple years if I’m recalling correctly. I’m pretty sure there was a very long gap in content between that and Rohan 2.

The next Rohan expansion was not as bad, primarily because the setting was more interesting and I think it was shorter too. I took a years long break because Rohan 1 was just that boring and a few Gondor areas had been released by the time I came back, so I at least had something to look forward to while trying to get through it.

Oh, and loving Nona and what’s his face. I think they had an elf friend too? God, they were boring. I’m glad they haven’t written in any more annoying traveling companions.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

But they're in love! A forbidden love between a civilized man and a tribeswoman!

Someday I'll finish and go to Gondor and the game will be better for it. I've bought every expansion that has come out, mostly to support Turbine->SSG but I am still on that with my cappy. I think my champ on my other server was in Gondor but honestly I bet I just skipped and moved on.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Nona, Horn, and third wheel not-Legolas

Man that sucked lmao

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Rohan was so bad I’ve straight up forgotten the plot of the main quest between the pre-Rohan zone (Stangard?) and Helms Deep. Why the hell did we go to into Rohan in the first place? Why is bargain bin Romeo and Juliet tagging along and when did Thirdwheelolas show up?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I can’t remember why the elf dude joined up. I think we picked up both Horn and him in Stangard or whatever that zone is before Rohan. Nona came with us from… Dunland in order to… avenge her brother?

I do remember that they wrote the elf off in an extremely unceremonious way. He goes off to scout a war party, several quests later someone comments that he hasn’t come back, the end. I kept wondering if he was going to show up again or get a proper ending, but no. I guess he died?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My only fond memory of that questline is ranting about it on the official forums to the lead writer. Very cathartic.

The "Epic" questlines start out mostly good but turned to complete dogshit after Mirkwood. So of course they made it mandatory. Could have skipped everything between Great River and Paths of the Dead and not lost anything of value.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

Could have skipped everything between Great River and Paths of the Dead and not lost anything of value.

:hmmyes:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Since there was a lot of lag on my old server I started fresh on Arkenstone which I think is closer. I limited myself to just three characters with mutually supporting crafting skills and things are moving quickly. Still get a little lag now and then, but not too bad.

EDIT: I used all of my game time yesterday to go through the festival to collect enough tokens for the cool cosmetics.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 14, 2022

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Figure I may as well ask, which warsteed size is best for a Hunter? I'm admittedly getting the impression from some light googling that it doesn't really matter because a hunter will kill anything that doesn't actually require the warsteed quicker on foot.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I gave up at Rohan 2: Mead Hallder but picked up the expansions when they went free. I remember running out of quests somewhere before the second quest hub and never picking it up again. With winter coming I’ll try figuring out
Wherever they did with LIs this time.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

I can’t remember why the elf dude joined up. I think we picked up both Horn and him in Stangard or whatever that zone is before Rohan. Nona came with us from… Dunland in order to… avenge her brother?

I do remember that they wrote the elf off in an extremely unceremonious way. He goes off to scout a war party, several quests later someone comments that he hasn’t come back, the end. I kept wondering if he was going to show up again or get a proper ending, but no. I guess he died?

He ran off before the battle of Helm's Deep and was never seen again. I assume he ended up in an Uruk's stew pot given that later that evening the valley he was scouting suddenly had 20,000 orcs.

His sister, Sigileth, had much better writing, because it's easier to write about an elf assassin with twin daggers I suppose.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

Figure I may as well ask, which warsteed size is best for a Hunter? I'm admittedly getting the impression from some light googling that it doesn't really matter because a hunter will kill anything that doesn't actually require the warsteed quicker on foot.

Light warsteed will maneuver less like a boat, which is really all that matters. As a hunter you are almost always better off just sniping at things on foot unless the quest literally hardcodes requiring you to be on horseback.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Since there was a lot of lag on my old server I started fresh on Arkenstone which I think is closer. I limited myself to just three characters with mutually supporting crafting skills and things are moving quickly. Still get a little lag now and then, but not too bad.

EDIT: I used all of my game time yesterday to go through the festival to collect enough tokens for the cool cosmetics.

The lag isn't from distance or ping time, it's from the servers being completely overloaded with trying to query 15 years of content every time it has to look up stats on an item or quest. Happens more often on populated servers in popular zones.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also, just to make it 4 posts in a row, finished Rohan on my hunter tonight and the thing they did a few updates ago with making replacement quest instances for Epic Battles really makes the whole thing suck significantly less. God, those Helms Deep epic battles were tedious.

Although it still is extremely lol-inducing that you suicide charge alongside Theoden into the mass of orcs outside, the instance immediately ends and all of a sudden you're back in the keep with the quest turn-in saying "Yay! We won!". If you hadn't seen the movies or read the books it would be extremely confusing!

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's light warstead, as mentioned, but actually this is the correct answer for literally every class because they have the highest max speed and 99.5% of the time you're on a warsteed it will be for travel rather than combat.

East Rohan caused me to quit the game for a couple of years so I can't really dispute people's opinions but I will say that the music is great and the first ~2 zones are fairly interesting. Also the fact that you'll see all these people again for the Ride of the Rohirrim and Pelennor retroactively makes things a bit more interesting.

Re the epic: I actually really like how Corudan represents continuity from volume 2 of the Epic and Nona follows you from Dunland. The Horn/Nona dynamic is tropey but I think works decently as an exploration of Dunlending vs Rohirrim culture. It's just a very slow exploration, which doesn't pay off until Horn's ultimate fate, which is itself a really neat interaction between the LotR books and the game.

As for Corudan, we have still not seen the last of him. There's a reference to him in the 115 quests, for one thing. The epic quest likes to play the very long game.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I never used my warsteed for actual combat on my Hunter as you can kite pretty much anything up to raid-sized warbands with zero difficulty.

Also unfortunately newer characters don't get to choose their warsteed weight/spec anymore: everyone gets a medium warsteed in Rohan now. You can get a light bridle from the regional rep vendors but you'll have to buy the spec from the store if you want it.

I ended up buying the light spec on sale cos gotta go fast but it's hard to tell the difference compared to the medium spec. It does turn extremely well though.

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 15, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I mostly liked west Rohan when it came out because there was some bug that cut my captain’s mounted skill cooldowns to zero for everything except their massive aoe, which had a 5-6 second cool down. As a result, my captain did probably 5-10x mOre DPS than intended and I just absolutely shredded everything that wasn’t a war and of mounted archers.

I only did the 12 person epic battle once and holy sweet gently caress that was such a mess. I think we failed near the end too because even with a bunch of people using maxed out traits for their specific jobs there was just so, so much poo poo going on.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

piano chimp posted:

I never used my warsteed for actual combat on my Hunter as you can kite pretty much anything up to raid-sized warbands with zero difficulty.

Also unfortunately newer characters don't get to choose their warsteed weight/spec anymore: everyone gets a medium warsteed in Rohan now. You can get a light bridle from the regional rep vendors but you'll have to buy the spec from the store if you want it.

I ended up buying the light spec on sale cos gotta go fast but it's hard to tell the difference compared to the medium spec. It does turn extremely well though.

The first "learn your warsteed" quest in Rohan gives you a choice of bridle types as a reward now.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If you rolled on Arkenstone for less lag, you’re probably gonna deal with the opposite. Pretty sure it’s the largest server and often has lag issues

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What’s the story with LI’s these days? I last played heavily right when they made the big LI change last year. I’m staring at these stacks of blue LI exp rune things. Did they ever give us something to do with them or are they vendor trash?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dick Trauma posted:

Since there was a lot of lag on my old server I started fresh on Arkenstone which I think is closer.

I'm not sure how true it is but the general line is that all of the servers are located in the same datacenter in the US anyway, even the ones for different regions.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

What’s the story with LI’s these days? I last played heavily right when they made the big LI change last year. I’m staring at these stacks of blue LI exp rune things. Did they ever give us something to do with them or are they vendor trash?

They boost your rewards track which gives you currency and traceries.

https://www.lotro.com/news/lotro-article-legendary-reward-track-en

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh sweet. I've got a poo poo ton of those things and want my inventory space back.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
First Bullroarer patch notes for the new mini expansion are up and there's some pretty good unadvertised QOL changes coming down the pike next month.

quote:

- Class Trait Points have been moved off of quests and deeds, and are now granted directly by leveling up. You will start earning trait points at level 2. You will still have 98 total points at level 140, and will no longer be able to have more points than are usable.

(wish I knew this was coming before I drug my rear end through Rohan for the quest trait points) (also this is why there's a forced respec coming)

quote:

- Sentient monsters from levels 1-49 now will have a chance to drop Brawler Battle-gauntlets when killed.
- The quest tracker and quest guide now accommodate up to 10 quests (increased from 5).
- Many Sessionplay quests throughout the Epic Story have been made optional. When you arrive at one of these quest steps, you can choose to complete the Sessionplay as normal, or you can interact with a 'Shortened Account' book located nearby. This will advance the quest beyond the Sessionplay, and you can resume the Epic Story. The following formerly-mandatory quests have been given this treatment:
- Volume IV, Book 8, Chapter 1, 'No Other Way'
- Volume IV, Book 9, Chapter 4, 'The Precious, At Last'

quite a few burglar changes, don't play burglar so don't know if they're good or bad

https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?696727-Bullroarer-Update-34-Beta-1-OPEN

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
They should make you still do the session play where you see the fellowship through Boromir’s eyes. One of the more memorable laughs I’ve had in an mmo.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

quote:

-The quest, 'A Little Extra Never Hurts -- Part 2' now grants the Riding Skill and A Little Extra Mount instead of a Battered Horn of Disruption. While 'A Little Extra Never Hurts -- Part 1' can only be completed once per world, A Little Extra Never Hurts -- Part 2 can now be completed on every new character in the Archet, Ered Luin, or Mossward starting character areas.
-A Little Extra Mount can also be acquired from Mithril Traders in Archet, Celondim, Little Delving, and Thorin's Gates.

Oh hey everyone gets Riding Skill and a mount at the end of their prologues instead of at level 20 or paying for one!

Except for High Elf, Beorning, and Stout-axe Dwarf for some reason?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Screw all of that, this is the most important change in the patch notes:

quote:

Changed Falling Injury effects to be less punishing. Changed Run Speed Debuff from 40% to 30%. Changed duration of effect from range of 6-60 seconds to 5-15 seconds.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Max 15s? Amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Dang, a lot of really good changes

I wonder if the trait change is their first stab at fixing the lag. In one of their past dev streams they mentioned deed and quest database queries were largely to blame. I have to imagine that trait-based deeds were some of the most grinded out and tracked deeds out there