Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Orga has Mika shoot Treize in the kneecaps, securing victory by default.

(Also, we might have never seen Orga pilot, but he's a fantastic shot)

treize literally does this in gundam wing when he's telling duke dermail off for trying to rely on mobile dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The real question is Wufei vs Iok for biggest fuckhead

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Iok no question.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Chara Soon vs Fuala Griffon in a go within 1000 feet of a school challenge

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You thinking of Lupe

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

The real question is Wufei vs Iok for biggest fuckhead

It's a closer match if we don't count endless waltz

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tae posted:

It's a closer match if we don't count endless waltz

Is it? He actually manages something at the end of the TV show, even if it's only defeating Treize because Treize seems to kind of lose the will to live. After which Treize wants him to inherit his will/goals. Wufei takes that and just becomes an obstacle in Endless Waltz, barring Heero's way for no reason beyond that he can't accept soldiers not having a war to fight. He took the completely wrong lesson from Treize.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Could treize beat rustal at chess

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Iok at least has soldiers who like him

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Yes because he managed to navigate the convoluted events of wing and accomplish his plan

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Treize enjoys a good bubble bath. He's clearly the superior man

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I forget what game this is from but I love it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It looks like the bad Dynasty Warriors Gundam.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Probably not, but only because he'd be playing to lose while Rustal would be playing to win.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I forget what game this is from but I love it.
in super robot wars d treize throws himself at the final boss in a heroic sacrifice and they say they built a statue of him in the epilogue.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Probably not, but only because he'd be playing to lose while Rustal would be playing to win.

I think Rustal would win, but Treize would achieve some esoteric moral victory in the process that Rustal would notice and compliment in an amused way, while Treize would make a surface level polite but cutting comment on Rustal's strategy that would make Rustal laugh and Julieta glare.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I've decided to watch Mobile Suit Gundam, man the dub owns.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MSG is great, Mobile Suit Gundam is as well

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Buschmaki posted:

I've decided to watch Mobile Suit Gundam, man the dub owns.

Michael Kopsa is the best English voice for Char hands down, teetahns included.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

MSG is great, Mobile Suit Gundam is as well

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Didn't the Zeta dub use a slightly different cast?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't the Zeta dub use a slightly different cast?

Blue Water is the Ocean group's non union equivalent and they did the Zeta dub. They're cheaper and not as good but the dub is still serviceable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it was fine. Then ZZ had a dub in Southeast Asia that's literally lost media.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The dub cast for MSG is amazing, I know them from many other things I do like, but the dub itself always fell flat for me. The direction or something was off. It's not terrible but I think they could have done better with all the talent they had.

Zeta's dub isn't amazing but there are individual performances I love like Kamille's and Four's. I remember, at least as of when I first watched Zeta back in 2014, Four's dub VA was the only one they kept getting back for video games. I think after like Gundam vs Zeta Gundam on the PS2, they replaced everyone else.

But hey, Four's VA was really good and video games are where Four can live so that's something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Brad Swaile IS Amuro Ray for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even though I'd prefer if Brad Swaile came back, I appreciate that NYAV Post kept their same Amuro actor from The Origin for Amuro's brief voiceover in Hathaway. It's kind of important to know who is talking to Hathaway in that moment and having a familiar voice helps.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They've kept their UC cast consistent and I like that. Really wanna see them dub the compilation movies.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I liked the Zeta dub, Kamille's actor was pretty great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Azubah posted:

I liked the Zeta dub, Kamille's actor was pretty great.

This is absolutely true. I love Kamille and his VA is a big part of that. He captures how Kamille is both ridiculously over-the-top while simultaneously being very believable and relatable. Potentially my favorite Gundam MC forever.

I should rewatch Zeta sometime soon. Maybe after G, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think we forgot about the fun little Pulitzer manga

https://mangadex.org/chapter/527218e6-94cb-4c18-aeb3-8e6eeaad3c70/1

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drat there's only been 1 new chapter? i was hoping more would've piled up

i'm quite enjoying the little sprinkles of pulitzer we get though.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
"Amuro, I'm so disappointed in you I don't even want to see your face."

drat Bright is a dickhead lmao

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ball variants are always fun and it's a shame that it disappeared so completely after the OYW

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Almost everything that wasn't a full on mobile suit disappeared after the One Year War really. About the only other platform that popped up with any regularity was sub-flight platforms like the Dodai, and even they disappeared after Zeta/ZZ because Char's Counterattack and F91 don't have any fights on Earth, and almost everything can fly natively by Victory. Mobile suits became a bit more rigidly defined too, and while a lot of units in Zeta were quite odd in appearance, there was never anything as odd as the Guntank after that point either, beyond a few Guntank descendants like the Loto. Which did have legs too; just with tracks on the undercarriage to transform between modes. There weren't even a large amount of mobile armors after the One Year War, and a lot of the ones that did come up were transformable mobile suits that had mobile armor modes.

It's understandable, since the suits are what sells. Still kind of disappointing though, and makes for more boring choreography in general since there's so little variety of platforms in any given fight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be a pedantic nerd who likes the "lore" so much it also makes the OYW setting so fascinating because it was a huge mishmash of different ideas in how a war would be fought when the typical method of "ships, tanks and planes" gets upended. Mobile Suits emerged from the conflict as the dominant new weapons platform, so a bunch of the weirder mobile armors, armed civilian transports and wacky attempts by Zeon failing to understand how machines built for use in gravity wells got left behind.

It's just another way that the OYW feels like a truly universal conflict as opposed to the more limited wars that follow.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd wonder if, despite things like the Ball, Dodai, Guntank etc. not selling nearly as well as the RX-78-2, Zaku II, Gelgoog etc. if they don't indirectly affect sales too, because the One Year War era is, by far and away, the most beloved part of the franchise and also the part that has not only the most entries but also the most models. I imagine there's some correlation between the sheer variety of stuff going on, which probably includes things besides mobile suits that can and do affect battles, and people's love for that era and willingness to spend money on mobile suits from it. They don't have to create plastic models of units like Balls, but having them there to flesh out the setting appears to draw people into and love things in a way that does result in greater sales of mobile suits regardless.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 15, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah I'm enjoying (currently unsure how unironically though) how pointlessly elaborate the flight system stuff is in g-reco. there's like seven different "plane an MS can ride on" machines, each side has like three different ones with distinct names for no reason, and there's one that's the kleenex of MS flight systems because its name is used both as a generic term for all such vehicles and as the specific name for one type. that name of course being the elegant and intuitive "f-rug".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Ball variants are always fun and it's a shame that it disappeared so completely after the OYW

Late UC has no balls, it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Valentin posted:

yeah I'm enjoying (currently unsure how unironically though) how pointlessly elaborate the flight system stuff is in g-reco. there's like seven different "plane an MS can ride on" machines, each side has like three different ones with distinct names for no reason, and there's one that's the kleenex of MS flight systems because its name is used both as a generic term for all such vehicles and as the specific name for one type. that name of course being the elegant and intuitive "f-rug".

Of course, that's very much used as a piece of visual storytelling, with the level of interest in and technological advancement in atmospheric flight varying greatly between factions according to their resources and military doctrine.