Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Koopa Kid posted:

An obviously rebuilding team gave Seth Jones $9.5M x 8. After spending a bunch of assets trading for him. He’ll be 36 at the end of that deal lmao

Adam Boqvist, Jake Bean, Cole Sillinger, and David Jiricek. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Luckily the Penguins have never employed anyone heinous in recent memory

What is billy tibbetts up to these days

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have no attachment to Orr. I don't have a jersey. I've never posed with the statue. I don't know what the process is for number retirement but I'm pretty sure it was a long time ago and I wasn't consulted. Like not 100% because my assistant screens a lot of my emails, but fairly confident.

I'm good. You can keep flailing, but I'm cool with me because I'm not fantasy booking and trying to figure out which guys on my team the double rapist would have the best chemistry with.

If you can't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you. Not in an 'I'm clueless' way, but in a 'which insult is the best choice for this situation' way.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I...don't think anyone is flailing?

If it was just Tony DeAngelo on the Flyers happening this season I very likely would have held my nose and still at least been rooting for my favorite team in my favorite sport because

Matt Zerella posted:

I know what I'm in for in this sport, I wouldn't be shocked if players I love have done the same or worse and we just don't know about it.

But with everything else happening with this organization... :negative: the faster the collapse, the better

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You have an attachment to the Boston Bruins, a team that has a statue of Bobby Orr in front of their arena and reveres him as an icon and most celebrated player in franchise history.

You're not rooting for a rapist (that we know of), you're just rooting for a team that tactility endorses fascism.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Guys, you can just say you care more about wins than people too. It's fine to be garbage, most are.

Not me, but most.

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not 65 years old I never saw him play.

Aphrodite posted:

I have no attachment to Orr. I don't have a jersey. I've never posed with the statue. I don't know what the process is for number retirement but I'm pretty sure it was a long time ago and I wasn't consulted. Like not 100% because my assistant screens a lot of my emails, but fairly confident.

I'm good. You can keep flailing, but I'm cool with me because I'm not fantasy booking and trying to figure out which guys on my team the double rapist would have the best chemistry with.

If you can't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you. Not in an 'I'm clueless' way, but in a 'which insult is the best choice for this situation' way.

you know honestly, I just applaud you for breaking new ground here. your line of reasoning here is reducing cases of sexual assault and rape and exploitation to the same level as "your team takes headshots but my team doesn't". which is hilariously offensive but a great troll

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I didn't even realize the season had started since the Blues don't play til tomorrow. Fuckin scheduling

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Wipe every original six team from the face of the earth just to be safe.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
(in the midst of a sport-wide reckoning that almost led to the dissolution of the biggest entity in hockey, the ruining of the only dynasty in 40 years, and repeated crises at all levels of youth hockey) Yeah but ouaur fackin' guys didn't do any of that poo poo kid !

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

This discussion started with "Patrick Kane is a piece of poo poo and it (should be) weird and complicated for fans to think about their team making a big deal in acquiring him," which is true no matter how many other lovely players and teams are out there in the league. Whataboutism is silly and the idea that people shouldn't talk about these things unless their organization/players are spotless is about burying these details and topics, which is a bad thing.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hey remember when Auston Matthews was charged with criminal harassment, and then tried to hide it from the team/public? That was loving stupid! Anyway, Patrick Kane is a piece of poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

you know honestly, I just applaud you for breaking new ground here. your line of reasoning here is reducing cases of sexual assault and rape and exploitation to the same level as "your team takes headshots but my team doesn't". which is hilariously offensive but a great troll

Thanks I thought so, but actually we've arrived at legitimate disgust now.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

We all enjoy watching bad people play a child's game. Maybe let's not think about it too much.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Hey remember when Auston Matthews was charged with criminal harassment, and then tried to hide it from the team/public? That was loving stupid! Anyway, Patrick Kane is a piece of poo poo.

friend, he looks like this:

everybody already can tell he criminally harasses people

Koopa Kid posted:

This discussion started with "Patrick Kane is a piece of poo poo and it (should be) weird and complicated for fans to think about their team making a big deal in acquiring him," which is true no matter how many other lovely players and teams are out there in the league. Whataboutism is silly and the idea that people shouldn't talk about these things unless their organization/players are spotless is about burying these details and topics, which is a bad thing.

while true, I take issue over people criticizing him over the cab driver incident. that guy was a 62-year-old Polish cabbie who was illegally driving because he'd been suspended for DUIs. 100% chance he deserved a sock for something racist/sexist/bigoted he said that day/week/year.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

auston matthews is napoleon dynamite

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:stare: oh god

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Koopa Kid posted:

it should be weird and complicated for anyone to watch professional hockey, you shouldn't feel good about anything; America, Canada, and professional sports are exceedingly evil and exceedingly entertaining

trying to absolve yourself from it is really funny though

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

T-Bone posted:

it should be weird and complicated for anyone to watch professional hockey, you shouldn't feel good about anything; America, Canada, and professional sports are exceedingly evil and exceedingly entertaining

(Dave Brown rattling-his-two-brain-cells-together-voice) Hey T-Bone! You got those fuckin morals cemented on yeah!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Also who wants to guess who his favourite active NHLer and offseason mentor is? I'll give you a hint: we've been talking about him on this page.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Also who wants to guess who his favourite active NHLer and offseason mentor is? I'll give you a hint: we've been talking about him on this page.

so if we get Kane and can re-sign him to float around with Bread for a couple of years...

you know what other prematurely balding Hart trophy winner brought a cup to NYC?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jesus?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

you know what other prematurely balding Hart trophy winner brought a cup to NYC?

Bryan Trottier?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man I need those gloves, when I try to flip off my bros on the bench I can't get enough extension to properly reflect my reaction to their trash talking me. The padding on the back of the fingers is just too dang thick.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1580970470492737536?s=20&t=B-ySDPVAHP9LxSKA4GnTbA

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1580970959741550593?s=20&t=B-ySDPVAHP9LxSKA4GnTbA

*sigh*

This team has had a losing mentality for such a long time. Ruff should've been fired 2 years ago

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

If you can't get up and be ready and motivated and accountable ONE GAME into the season then wtf is the coaching staff doing. I used to be able to get through the Devils being bad because "they dominated the league from 95-03 and were good for 20 years" but it's sad to see the contrast of the winning culture of the Lamoriello era and whatever amateur hour this poo poo is now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1580770619917942785

https://twitter.com/ARHockeyStats/status/1580737633810255872

what a loving idiot

e: lol he apparently he left the press conference after the reporter pressed him again on this, amazing

It's not a well coached team. Ruff's ceiling is like 26th best coach in the league if everything is perfect and they only hired him because he took loss money than their other targets. He's probably only still the coach because they won't pay a buyout. NO ONE thinks he's a good coach and he's won jack poo poo here.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 14, 2022

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think they wanted a guy who's been in the business for a while who commands respect from a group of young kids learning to grow into their roles, or at least that's the answer they gave, and to be fair, they had tried two new young grow-with-the-team coaches before and they didn't work out either. But how about a veteran coach who commands respect who is also a GOOD COACH jfc

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk in June posted:

laughton is going to be the next captain

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1580970342415470593

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cocaine Bear posted:

We all enjoy watching bad people play a child's game. Maybe let's not think about it too much.

there's no ethical sports watching under capitalism

I will say the maxim "never meet your heroes" has changed to "never meet your heroes or read about them or learn how they treat people or what they do on their own time or believe" in my lifetime. Maybe that's just getting older.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

I think it's pretty lovely of you to stereotype and make assumptions like this based upon a persons 'look'.

Edit: your cabbie take of 'he deserved it' for arbitrary reasons is impressive as well. Had it coming did he?

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 14, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

xzzy posted:

Man I need those gloves, when I try to flip off my bros on the bench I can't get enough extension to properly reflect my reaction to their trash talking me. The padding on the back of the fingers is just too dang thick.
You wouldn't like those gloves so much when they go all Crosby on your hands though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

I think they wanted a guy who's been in the business for a while who commands respect from a group of young kids learning to grow into their roles, or at least that's the answer they gave, and to be fair, they had tried two new young grow-with-the-team coaches before and they didn't work out either. But how about a veteran coach who commands respect who is also a GOOD COACH jfc

Literally the reason is that they are cheap.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

Literally the reason is that they are cheap.

Are they? I would think Ruff makes decent money compared to the average coach because of his long tenure, and the Devils haven't been unwilling to spend / offer huge contracts to players.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Are they? I would think Ruff makes decent money compared to the average coach because of his long tenure, and the Devils haven't been unwilling to spend / offer huge contracts to players.

They were about to hire Laviolette and he wouldn't take what they were offering so they hired Ruff who would.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/wpgjetspr/status/1581030863168733184?s=21

An auspicious start

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

They were about to hire Laviolette and he wouldn't take what they were offering so they hired Ruff who would.

I dunno if that means they're cheap in general, esp since we don't know what Ruff makes. I'm pretty sure Ruff is likely making a lot, and maybe Laviolette was asking for WAY too much and they went with their second choice who is still being paid a lot. They haven't shown themselves to be cheap in any other area. They backed up a dumptruck for Gaudreau.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i have no idea whats happening in the last two pages but heres a thing

i have irrationally high hopes for this kid

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I dunno if that means they're cheap in general, esp since we don't know what Ruff makes. I'm pretty sure Ruff is likely making a lot, and maybe Laviolette was asking for WAY too much and they went with their second choice who is still being paid a lot. They haven't shown themselves to be cheap in any other area. They backed up a dumptruck for Gaudreau.

I can't think of another reason why Ruff is still here other than that he's under contract and they don't want to pay him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

while true, I take issue over people criticizing him over the cab driver incident. that guy was a 62-year-old Polish cabbie who was illegally driving because he'd been suspended for DUIs. 100% chance he deserved a sock for something racist/sexist/bigoted he said that day/week/year.

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

I can't think of another reason why Ruff is still here other than that he's under contract and they don't want to pay him.

I think he has to have a very short leash. If the Devils start out badly in the first 8-9 games and they still don't fire him then yeah