Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I don't even know you, you could be a serial killer for all we know. I mean you always want to watch horror movies all the time!

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok I’m curious now and want to think it over

Top ten horror
The thing
Session 9
Dog soldiers
Ghostbusters
Midsommer
Frighteners
Army of Darkness
Poltergeist
Event Horizon
Mouth of Madness

Top ten
Ghostbusters (favourite overall hands down)
Jurassic Park
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Guardians of the Galaxy (going to say 1 and 2 are tied)
Tombstone
North by Northwest
Frighteners
Back to the Future
Big Lebowski
Apocalypse Now

Man, Spielberg was at the top of his game is just head and shoulders above pretty much anyone

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just a nice relaxing movie night with friends , having a few brews, telling jokes, and then settling in to watch

*checks notes*

Uh, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer and Cannibal Holocaust

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I prefer Raiders which is in my top 10 movies ever. It’s just so perfect. It’s got everything you want in a movie

Raiders is probably tighter but I really like Ford and Connery's comedic chemistry.

Also just off the bottom of the non list is The Good, The Bad And The Ugly. Can't believe I forgot that. :clint:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Just a nice relaxing movie night with friends , having a few brews, telling jokes, and then settling in to watch

*checks notes*

Uh, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer and Cannibal Holocaust

At least we're not looking to show that stuff to a classroom of kids like that one dude from years ago.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Wait, is the horror thread not watching most horror movies while mildly inebriated with a small group of friends?

I used to do movie nights regularly but then all my friends got more spread out geographically and busier with family, kids, jobs cuz they're losers. Unlike me a badass who watches movies alone almost everyday.

Basebf555 posted:

At least we're not looking to show that stuff to a classroom of kids like that one dude from years ago.

What a king

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Demons 1 and 2 weren't on my top ten lists but if I ever had friends over (lol) we'd be watching them both. Or Phantom of the Paradise paired with Forbidden Zone.

My top tens are always bullshit, I don't have a top ten, I have like a top 75 and all of the movies are tied for 1st.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, if it's just "a bunch of people are coming over to watch a movie", believe we're watching Evil Dead 2 or Deadstream.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I used to have a friend at work that would come over so I could show him an interesting movie that he hadn't heard of. We watched a few interesting ones, like Stranger than Fiction and Paranorman. If I end up with someone else who would be willing to come over I'd definitely show off Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Network, although not on the same night, as they are great.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, if it's just "a bunch of people are coming over to watch a movie", believe we're watching Evil Dead 2 or Deadstream.

Deadstream's definitely a new one for the list to show off

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

King Vidiot posted:

Demons 1 and 2 weren't on my top ten lists but if I ever had friends over (lol) we'd be watching them both. Or Phantom of the Paradise paired with Forbidden Zone.

My top tens are always bullshit, I don't have a top ten, I have like a top 75 and all of the movies are tied for 1st.

This guy fuckin' gets it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my only irl friend is the projection of Rob Zombie my mind created as a coping mechanism. We tight tho.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

that guy was an absolute loving legend

(fr tho it was creepy af to wanna show that to kids but the whole incident was just so funny)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Wait, is the horror thread not watching most horror movies while mildly inebriated with a small group of friends?

When I was young sure. Everyone has kids and multiple jobs now we don't get together often enough and when we do we'd rather just talk.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder whatever happened to that guy

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Church is definitely in my top 10 if I'm serious for a moment

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

lol

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I wouldn't pick my favorite movies based on whether or not they're good for a crowd pleasing movie night, that's an entirely separate conversation and list.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

WeaponX posted:

Pulp Fiction

Hell yes. Whole list is great, I notice Pulp gets left off of lists a little more than you'd think. On letterboxd I have Pulp Fiction on my top 4 favs, but I've hardly seen it on anybody else's. I guess since, if you're on letterboxd, you probably are into Pulp Fiction, and maybe people wanna show their deeper selections. But I gotta rep Pulp at all times.

Splint Chesthair posted:

RoboCop (1987)

It's not even right for a movie to be as good as RoboCop.

pospysyl posted:

The Castle of Cagliostro

Always good to see, that's one of my top 4 fav movies too. Plus I'm just a big Lupin nut, and Miyazaki is pretty good you might say.

I'll post what I'll call excerpts from my top 30 in no particular order. You know the Star Wars trilogy and some Batman and stuff is around there too:

Blue Velvet
Repo Man
Pulp Fiction (every Tarantino)
Castle of Cagliostro
The Killer (1989)
God of Cookery
Scarface (1983)
Goodfellas
Sergio Leone's Dollars trilogy & Once Upon a Time in The West (Dario wrote that too)
Clerks
Do The Right Thing
The Big Lebowski (just about every Coen bros)
True Romance
A History of Violence
Transformers: The Movie (1986)

Top 5 fav Godzilla movies (bit of a fan of the latter stuff, a friend of mine is more Showa. I have seen 'em all though!) :

GMK - Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
Godzilla: Final Wars
Gojira (Godzilla 1954)
Godzilla vs Destoroyah
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II (1993)

And a top 10 horror movies which is really 15, Dario Argento at large, with horror-comedy:

Suspiria
Deep Red
Tenebrae
Opera
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Lost Highway
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead II
Demons
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (6 is my other top fav)
Dawn of the Dead (I love the Argento cut too, I flip-flop)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Halloween (and 2018 is up there too)
Horror of Dracula (Curse of Frankenstein right up there)
The Shining

Honorable mention to The Toxic Avenger and Lloyd Kaufman

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Okay now the real fun begins: combine the plots of your fav horror movie and fav non-horror movie.

For me the Firefly Family must go to Russia to beat Ivan Drogo. I imagine it like Rejects except with Drogo as the sheriff. But hes still his boxer character, not a cop. He's just so buff they sent him after the fireflies

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

My friends stopped asking me for movie recommendations when I told one of them to go see Lost Highway on a first date.

Kvlt! posted:

Okay now the real fun begins: combine the plots of your fav horror movie and fav non-horror movie.

For me the Firefly Family must go to Russia to beat Ivan Drogo. I imagine it like Rejects except with Drogo as the sheriff. But hes still his boxer character, not a cop. He's just so buff they sent him after the fireflies
Yeah I'd watch this a hundred times

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Oh poo poo that's a good game.

A set of vignettes, taking place on a small New England island which is home to a scout camp, about a zombie who wants a birthday cake, Leslie Nielsen burying two young lovers up to their necks on a beach, meteor poo poo inconveniencing Bob Balaban, and a crate under the stairs of a lighthouse that eats Edward Norton while officer Bill Murray asks it to please stop.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

My friends stopped asking me for movie recommendations when I told one of them to go see Lost Highway on a first date.

My college best friend took his now wife to a documentary on their first date because I had to give up my tickets, and he took them instead. They saw Dear Zachary.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 14, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kvlt! posted:

A conwoman puts her fingers in the blair witch's mouth so she can file down her teeth.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kvlt! posted:

Robin Williams, inspirational teacher to wayward youths/clown that helps sick kids get better/slightly creepy male nanny, fighting off Freddy Krueger.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

In college I had a friend who I'd go see movies with bc we were both film buffs and loved to talk about the movies after. She'd pick the movie one week, I'd pick the next week.

I can't remember what she picked but when it was my turn I looked at the movies and saw the poster for You Were Never Really Here and thought "huh why not" and I felt so bad bc that poor girl started sobbing halfway through the movie. Luckily she understood I was going in blind too lol and we just left (I went back solo and finished it a few days later, great movie but gently caress is it heavy)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Sidney Prescott and her father are miners in Harlan County Kentucky, but their unionization efforts are being impacted by a terror campaign against union members by the terrifying Ghost Lung. Sidney must team up with big city documentarian, Gale Weathers, but things are complicated when her boyfriend Billy turns out to be scab.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Harlan County Kentucky

U really gonna do my boy Boyd Crowder like that and not include him. WE DUG COAL MAN.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kvlt! posted:

Frank Booth finds himself at a spooky ballet academy. He's hiding out from the law as one well dressed janitor. hijinks fuckin' ensue!!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Kvlt! posted:

Well it starts with Sean Connery in red bondage gear sneaking into a giant circus tent that has descended from the sky...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
First movie I saw with my spouse was Hitchcock at the Bourse in Philadelphia. We went back for Lost Highway.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Am I too late to post non-horror?
In no particular order:

Conan - The Barbarian
Oldboy
Man of Steel
Darkman
Flash Gordon
Bronson
Gangs of New York
Othello (1995)
Commando
Mad Max: Fury Road

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kvlt! posted:

I have a good one. Jane Hudson, traumatised after the accident that crippled Blanche, starts getting haunted by the Smile entity. She freaks out thinking that Blanche means to do her harm due to seeing her smiling at her in a terrifying manner, resulting in her locking her in her room and neglecting her to the point of almost death. The entity moves onto the Pianist after he sees an emaciated Blanche strangling herself with her own bindings while he's blind drunk and goes into a panic.

Smile isn't my favourite horror movie, but I liked this synthesis. (Whatever Happened to Baby Jane meets Smile, obv.)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

Our horror bracketology threads have determined the best horror franchise ever is the Night of the Living Dead series and the best horror director is actually a bunch of people that only made one horror movie (Charles Laughton, James Bond III, Bill Gunn, Kathryn Bigelow, Na Hong-jin, and Leslie Manning),

I thought evil dead won the franchise one. Did you do a second one?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
A smooth talking conman and owner of a famous barbecue joint decides to rob a bank to pay for the sex change operation of his 6 foot 2, 280 lb chainsaw-wielding wife.

The Texas Dog Day Massacre

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

AMERICAN WEREWOLF OF WALL STREET! I think I've won the game.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

these are even better than i thought theyd be keep em comin everyone

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

top 10 horror

Evil Dead II
Hellraiser
A Nightmare on Elm Street Part III: Dream Warriors
Ravenous
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Dawn of the Dead
Near Dark
Suspiria
The Curse of Frankenstein
Phantasm

top 10 non-horror

Taxi Driver
Goodfellas
Andrei Rublev
Miller's Crossing
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
The Road Warrior
Hana-Bi
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Raising Arizona
Days of Heaven

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
An undercover Hong Kong cop investigates a toy factory. Meanwhile Chucky infiltrates the police force and becomes a rising star.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Home invasion movie. Purge, slasher dude or otherwise. But it's the Maitland's house, and they just said a certain name three times.

Also, horror list:

Beetlejuice
Evil Dead 2
Predator
Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer
Bram Stocker's Dracula
Blob '88
Elvira - Mistress of the Dark
Audition
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
Event Horizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I thought evil dead won the franchise one. Did you do a second one?

I forgot how the finals worked it was several categories:

Best franchise (2 pts) - night of the Living dead
Best gore (1 pt) - evil dead
Beat sequel (1 pt) - evil dead
Best remake (1 pt) - evil dead

Making Evil Dead the overall winner and beat franchise.