Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Kharnifex posted:

RIP Hong Kong, I visited you before you died, I better hurry the gently caress up and get to Taiwan before it dies too.

I just wish the process is quick and painless but it won't be the case with pikachu steering it......

in that case I wish it goes down like titanic does, at least make it spectacular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Zakrello posted:

I wish it goes down like titanic does, at least make it spectacular

This is not something to wish for, given the context at hand.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
just watch out for soy food and majestic 12

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Booty Pageant posted:

just watch out for soy food and majestic 12

Not advisable for tourists to visit the canals at night.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don't spill the drinks of any Russian blokes while you're there.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
speaking of russians, saw a tweeter in the war thread and it looks like chairman putin is great leap forwarding themselves by sending teachers to the meat grinder

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Farmers too; after seeing T-90s get tractor pulled he thinks they’re the new meta.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steakandchips posted:

Don't spill the drinks of any Russian blokes while you're there.

I SPILL MY DRINK.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
came across this pro read today

https://www.propublica.org/article/china-cartels-xizhi-li-money-laundering

quote:

How a Chinese American Gangster Transformed Money Laundering for Drug Cartels
Xizhi Li pioneered a new method that enriched Latin American drug lords and China’s elite.
A DEA investigation found the Chinese government may have been involved.

i've only read half way but drat, from trump to xi's cousin. where's this guys netflix show???

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Indeed!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Booty Pageant posted:

came across this pro read today

https://www.propublica.org/article/china-cartels-xizhi-li-money-laundering

i've only read half way but drat, from trump to xi's cousin. where's this guys netflix show???

Better See Li

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ezMECY5rd8

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Allegedly happened today in Beijing, near a university. Not confirmed, but my wife who is better updated on what's going on in China seems to think it's legit.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Uh oh high Covid risk in Beijing this morning everyone back inside

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/LiYuan6/status/1580479752715976704

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Could this be a possible false flag?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Forceholy posted:

That doesn't look like a flag at all

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Forceholy posted:

What would that even mean in this situation? A honeypot to draw out real dissidents?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
if those slogans end up on animal crossing then you know it's for real

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

banners are a well known cia method

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The return of the Jade Emperor's bannermen.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'll be concerned when I see people putting on red turbans.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
White Lotus Society, take... four?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i mean, thats a big-character poster right there. despite saying they don't want cultural revolution, that was the signature thing of the cultural revolution (besides the killing of anyone who looked too confucian lol)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

fish and chips and dip posted:

Allegedly happened today in Beijing, near a university. Not confirmed, but my wife who is better updated on what's going on in China seems to think it's legit.

There are lots of pics. This kind of protest isn't that unusual, but doing it in Beijing right now takes some serious balls.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Goons, I have a confession. I wrote that banner. You see, I am the bannerlord. All I need a good mount and a blade, and with my banner I will c

Two more days until the National People's Congress kicks off by gifting us another decade or two of Xi. Thanks for the subs, Xi.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Booty Pageant posted:

if those slogans end up on animal crossing then you know it's for real

booty pageant is correct

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
eh I liked it better when the students read up on communist theory and start doing workers rights poo poo.

The best way to beat xi is to out xi xi, and be even purer than xi than xi.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chaos Biden rules.

https://twitter.com/jordanschnyc/status/1580889341265469440?s=46&t=l-dVUZm8cxGqPflhhUaqww

https://twitter.com/jordanschnyc/status/1580889343417233409?s=46&t=l-dVUZm8cxGqPflhhUaqww

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Darth Brandon executes order 44.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Was there any reason stated behind this? Sounds overdramatic in thread tbh

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LjFbq1uYwY

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Disregarding that twitter man breaks out the biggest scary words he knows and loving weird take of "oh nooo, everyone will be lost without big brained american engineer! You die without irreplaceable superior naturalised american employee",
the basis of making it nonviable for non-US entities like ASML Nikon and Zeiss to keep buisiness on the mainland is a very, very real thing. It's not my area and legaleese even less so, but the ambition isn't lost on me. The US has their strangulation gloves on and murder on their mind

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Disregarding that twitter man breaks out the biggest scary words he knows and loving weird take of "oh nooo, everyone will be lost without big brained american engineer! You die without irreplaceable superior naturalised american employee",
the basis of making it nonviable for non-US entities like ASML Nikon and Zeiss to keep buisiness on the mainland is a very, very real thing. It's not my area and legaleese even less so, but the ambition isn't lost on me. The US has their strangulation gloves on and murder on their mind

*Insert the Terminator Dark Brandon video I often post*

But yeah I view the later as the bigger deal and I love it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/jimmillward/status/1580857132744077315?s=46&t=9FvRreD12p03Ftzy2zBHIg

Dandywalken posted:

I’m curious too. Not that the CCP doesn’t deserve sanctions, what with the ongoing genocide and all.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Dandywalken posted:

Likely a lack of movement on forced technology transfer under the guise of "licensing deals" in exchange for Chinese market access. For years, particularly in tech industries, China has basically conditioned domestic market access on partnering with a Chinese firm in a JV, or licensing your tech to a Chinese firm. Many of the involved Chinese firms then start using the IP or production techniques or whatever beyond what's agreed, and the western company has no recourse outside the Chinese court system which is ineffective here.

This has been an issue at both the WTO level and bilaterally for a number of years - the four lists of Chinese gods subject to increased import duties was Trump's attempt to get at this, but USTR has never found an effective enough lever to get China to stop. And now there's this, coupled with the Biden administration's drive to onshore various technologies, including chip manufacturing.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm curious what he means by "lose their American citizenship". Legally, that's not a thing. Not that law has ever stopped any of our previous presidents.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dogpiling women by saying they're cool and like to have a good time is a wumao tradition:

Shumagorath posted:

This same app translates "please leave immediately" as "please get on the horse and leave" so I think it might be better than the real deal.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

JohnCompany posted:

forced technology transfer.

I find this term particularly difficult.

I will not disagree with the problematic Chinese implementation/practice/consequences.

But, there is no 'force', and the long established international agreements (specifically designed to avoid slavery and abuse) have legitimate value.

Not one company operates without having agreed to the rules. It isn't forced by any definition of force, unless you object to the international agreed upon literal anti-slavery laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'm curious what he means by "lose their American citizenship". Legally, that's not a thing. Not that law has ever stopped any of our previous presidents.

It's about corporate citizenship apparently, not individual people. It isn't I'm a big dumbass.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 15, 2022