Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

man nurse posted:

The matrix tech demo was enough already to put my jaw on the ground. I legit thought I was just watching film footage with the real actors until an explosion or two dipped the framerate a bit and I had the come to Jesus moment of “holy poo poo this entire thing has been graphics rendered in engine from the start”.

I think it was the most truly impressed I’d been by a graphical leap since like PS1 to PS2. Kind of like a Half Life 2 moment of “woah, this tech is nuts”.
when i played bioshock the first time i waited in the water for far too long before i realized it was the actual game and not a video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"Graphics are basically real life now" - Me, reading previews of Quake 3 Arena in 1999

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

"Graphics are basically real life now" - Me, reading previews of Quake 3 Arena in 1999

Me seeing this magazine cover

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I remember having a copy of EGM or gamepro and thinking the cover was a photo of stone cold steve austin and the caption read "these are actual graphics from the upcoming PS2" and I was like whu, whut?! Games are real now.Also my friend was playing Gran Turismo 1 and I thought he was watching racing on TV lol.

It's funny how the barrier for what looks "real" changes as technology advances.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
my friend who already has a ps5 got a playstation direct invite and was able to snag me a ps5 digital i'm going to be playing returnal very soon now

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
the matrix demo was cool, but i felt like i could tell when they used 3d keanu instead, even if he wasn't moving at all, just clicking around the video while it's paused and comparing frames.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0gvPcc3jQ

but i thought it was actually the real keanu at 1:12 walking to the right, until 1:26 then the next time he walks at 1:50 it's all 3d, but the hair looks pretty good still, but yeah it does look a bit off when it bounces. idk why they wouldnt be able to make models look that good, if only the main character, on a ps5 running ue5.

but that's weird seeing that demo for the shaky cam fps game, cause i've been messing with ue5 a bit just making basic like simple archviz stuff with it, and i was trying to think if there were any games where people held their guns in a way that wasn't super weird and just like straight ahead, which is like every fps ever made. just moving the arms of a 3d model using the first person camera i thought it looked kind of good, holding the bottom of the other hand that holds the gun, and like the bottom of the gun, as well as sort of offsetting the arms to the right or left quite a bit. but i should try to edit the actual animations but i was having a rough time with the rigging in the hands, it was hard to actually imagine it without seeing it running in the game like that though.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 14, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

TBF that game looked mind blowing when it came out to the point where in 2022 it still doesn't look half bad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

TBF that game looked mind blowing when it came out to the point where in 2022 it still doesn't look half bad

the lighting in it is still great

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

https://clips.twitch.tv/TubularThoughtfulAlligatorAliens-BknBKauXt6TvsqK3

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
veni where are you this stream is loving wild

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://clips.twitch.tv/StrongHandsomeReindeerSquadGoals-bSjTQMDRU5Mi5_WA

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm playing through Horizon FW slowly, which is probably best given how much side content there is. I'm sure other people have realized this by now given the game has been out for months, but uh, the drill spikes are incredibly brokenly good?

I'm not super far in the game (have 2/3 of the AI cores from that large scale story fetch quest), but my first type attempting the arena and I promptly beat every single challenge in one sitting. My strategy was literally the same for every match that let you use your own gear-- Freeze Arrows --> Drill Spikes. I was only using a blue rarity spike thrower, but it doesn't matter. Once the enemies are frozen those things hit for 250~ on impact and then drill for 20/s, plus they cause knockdown the more they drill. I was beating challenges with an extra 30s-1m left on the clock.

I really doubt I was supposed to be able to clear the entire arena this early into the game. It reminds me of the frost --> rattler combo from the first game. Sadly they nerfed the rattler into the far shitter bolt blaster, but it looks like drill spikes achieve the same effect.

Too bad all the cool weapons I earned as arena prizes use ammo that suck up a ridiculous amount of resources. Probably not worth it for me to use anything other than the legendary hunter's bow yet.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

:prepop:

As someone who gets got good by found footage horror, this looks sick as hell.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Megasabin posted:

I'm playing through Horizon FW slowly, which is probably best given how much side content there is. I'm sure other people have realized this by now given the game has been out for months, but uh, the drill spikes are incredibly brokenly good?

The spikes are fun and crazy good. I'd occasionally use them on the mole-cat robots for fun.

And yeah, the rattler equivalent isn't nearly as good anymore.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Boltblasters are insane in HFW, way stronger than the Rattler ever was. With the Ranged Master surge and sustained fire weapon skill you can delete any elite machine in seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXCBRsTBUHM&t=17s

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ReverendClown/status/1580935716233949184?t=lQzjph_XnIdtPQwNF-v9QQ&s=19

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

exquisite tea posted:

Boltblasters are insane in HFW, way stronger than the Rattler ever was. With the Ranged Master surge and sustained fire weapon skill you can delete any elite machine in seconds.

Oh, there's the rattler I remember. Although you didn't even have to target a weak spot in the original.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

That looked like poo poo the moment I saw it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Noob Saibot posted:

Looks good to me op

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Holy poo poo Chapter 12 of Like a Dragon was so loving good. I was excited to see Majima, having played 0/1, but when Kiryu shows up I legit felt my heart fistpump. The little nod of approval he gives Kasuga after he finally does that trademark "pull shirt off, reveal tatoo" move felt like he was approving of Kasuga's elevation into the "legendary yakuza" that you're fighting alongside at that point. And then after 35 hours of Kasuga refusing to believe Arakawa didn't care at all about him, you get that really emotional conversation by the river followed immediately by that gutpunch reveal of Arakawa's death. What a game! It's wild how successfully this game is able to balance the super serious melodrama with wild silly poo poo like the baby clan or Mr. Masochist substories.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Noob Saibot posted:

turn on your screen

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Fifteen of Many posted:

Holy poo poo Chapter 12 of Like a Dragon was so loving good. I was excited to see Majima, having played 0/1, but when Kiryu shows up I legit felt my heart fistpump. The little nod of approval he gives Kasuga after he finally does that trademark "pull shirt off, reveal tatoo" move felt like he was approving of Kasuga's elevation into the "legendary yakuza" that you're fighting alongside at that point. And then after 35 hours of Kasuga refusing to believe Arakawa didn't care at all about him, you get that really emotional conversation by the river followed immediately by that gutpunch reveal of Arakawa's death. What a game! It's wild how successfully this game is able to balance the super serious melodrama with wild silly poo poo like the baby clan or Mr. Masochist substories.

It's so good. I finished it a few days ago and I'm sad.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the lighting in it is still great

Maybe my memory is hosed, but I believe the BFG edition completely replaces the lighting system of the original Doom 3 with a system that absolutely sucks rear end in comparison (but lets you have a flashlight while holding a gun).

Doom 3 is dope as gently caress.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lmao

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Fifteen of Many posted:

Yeah, I'm finally in chapter 15 and it's been a roller coaster since 12. Between finishing YLAD and act 3 of Ghost of Tsushima, there isn't any movie that could have me more entertained than this.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I know I want to get God of War 2 for my wife's birthday at the end of October. I've never played the game or know anything about preorder perks other than that they exist. Is it worth it to drop the 60 bucks (+$14 release date delivery holy poo poo) for our PS4 version, or should I wait until after release? Neither of us are hardcore gamers or anything so it's not a huge deal if waiting will be cheaper.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

this vid is both inspiring and extremely cathartic :swoon:

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Hazo posted:

I know I want to get God of War 2 for my wife's birthday at the end of October. I've never played the game or know anything about preorder perks other than that they exist. Is it worth it to drop the 60 bucks (+$14 release date delivery holy poo poo) for our PS4 version, or should I wait until after release? Neither of us are hardcore gamers or anything so it's not a huge deal if waiting will be cheaper.

There are some minor digital bonuses for pre-ordering but nothing earth-shattering.

If you're in the US and order from direct.playstation.com, you can get free release date delivery.
https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/games/game/god-of-war-ragnarok-launch-edition-ps4.1000031639

Also I'm sure you're aware but the game comes out November 9, so if you're trying to get it on launch day for your wife's birthday then you won't be seeing any discounts until after it releases. Since it's a new game this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get any major discounts until sometime next year.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Baggot posted:

There are some minor digital bonuses for pre-ordering but nothing earth-shattering.

If you're in the US and order from direct.playstation.com, you can get free release date delivery.
https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/games/game/god-of-war-ragnarok-launch-edition-ps4.1000031639

Also I'm sure you're aware but the game comes out November 9, so if you're trying to get it on launch day for your wife's birthday then you won't be seeing any discounts until after it releases. Since it's a new game this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get any major discounts until sometime next year.

Her birthday is Oct 24th so like I said getting it on release date isn't necessary since it'll be after the birthday regardless. But if I won't see any notable price drops until next year then it sounds like I should go ahead and preorder, but direct from playstation --- thanks for that tip!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, but you can get the same effect with an explosive tipped spear without the valor surge or weirdly dysfunctional earth digger robit sitting there letting itself get frozen before hand.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Bought the E.Y.E. teams latest Warhammer 40k game on a whim, anyone tried it? Necromunda Hired Gun. Online reviews range from "aggressively mediocre" to "eh it's fine", I'm hoping at least a bit of E.Y.E.s insanity bleeds through

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tirade posted:

Bought the E.Y.E. teams latest Warhammer 40k game on a whim, anyone tried it? Necromunda Hired Gun. Online reviews range from "aggressively mediocre" to "eh it's fine", I'm hoping at least a bit of E.Y.E.s insanity bleeds through

It’s absolute crap. I love 40K and I love love love FPS games but it’s absolute poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/okami13_/status/1581084392453451776?s=46&t=Xk42_c7O_iGArYCm4k4MvA

both Failstation and Drecksbox taking a rare L… this game must be optimised like absolute poo poo.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Megasabin posted:

The very second things get out of hand, it's drill spikes. You flying? Drill spike. You fast? Drill spike. You an actual mammoth? Spike, spike, spike.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

https://twitter.com/okami13_/status/1581084392453451776?s=46&t=Xk42_c7O_iGArYCm4k4MvA

both Failstation and Drecksbox taking a rare L… this game must be optimised like absolute poo poo.

Dont worry it will run at 60 fps on PS6.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Good 4-player games are impossible to make. You either make a single player or battle royale, 4 is too complicated.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The devs suck, and we have seen it through from the concept phase until now.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

No loving way lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
1080p 30 frames? What in the actual gently caress