Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

You should rescind any internship offer as soon as you find out the prospect posts on linkedin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

i agree with everything posted so far and will add that insofar as data modeling is a skill for that kind of application i don’t think it’s something you can study over a weekend for, it’s largely an experience thing. so if they bounce you for it don’t feel bad.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

nvrgrls posted:

You should rescind any internship offer as soon as you find out the prospect posts on linkedin.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Corla Plankun posted:

i havent heard "mvc" used non-pejoratively in probably 8 years so you can probably relax

just work a few tutorials for whatever framework they use and try to remember where you're supposed to put the different parts of the system

if they haven't told you the framework or expect you to write your own mv&c its probably going to be a shitshow that noone could pass, not even a carbon copy of the hiring manager

what would a practical implementation of MVC look like anyway? like I read lots about it and tried to implement it a few times but it always just seemed like unnecessary cruft, but there must be something to it

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Private Speech posted:

what would a practical implementation of MVC look like anyway? like I read lots about it and tried to implement it a few times but it always just seemed like unnecessary cruft, but there must be something to it

in asp.net mvc the view is the web page and the controller is the thing that puts data into the web page, which seems reasonable enough as a meta-framework. separating your data layer models from the intermediate structures used by your business logic is good too.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
your view is a spa made by another team, your controller is route definitions, and the model is your orm. then theres a unsaid service layer that all your code actually lives in. its realy great

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

barkbell posted:

your view is a spa made by another team, your controller is route definitions, and the model is your orm. then theres a unsaid service layer that all your code actually lives in. its realy great

Whoa whoa whoa, all of your actual code is in the service layer? Any good MVC setup I’ve seen also has rando business logic in the view, and you have to throw something mission critical into the controller layer.

The controller stuff shouldn’t be explicitly called anywhere either, it should just automagically get executed by the framework somehow.

tk fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 15, 2022

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

tk posted:

The controller stuff shouldn’t be explicitly called anywhere either, it should just automagically get executed by the framework somehow.

gets executed with delegates and publishers/listeners no?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

tk posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, all of your actual code is in the service layer? Any good MVC setup I’ve seen also has rando business logic in the view, and you have to throw something mission critical into the controller layer.

i thought the new poo poo was mvvm which i do not have good memories with learning because i had to also convince a few phds to not write hacks all the loving time

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I feel like just a simple separation of view and controller works okay for a lot of things? unless the model is just a DB or 3rd party backend or whatever, but if the actual logic is in the model then it gets very messy

what I mean by view/controller is that the view is a GUI which receives events and issues them through some contractual interface and the controller updates the view via events and processes input events from it. basically a standard frontend/backend design but more generalised

kindof seems like the model is just there from misled OOP dogmatism

e: also MVVM seems very .NET specific

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 17, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

barkbell posted:

this is similar to what we do at work, but it's bit of a stretch to call it MVC

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

To be fair, I work with MVVM and I don't understand why it is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Private Speech posted:

kindof seems like the model is just there from misled OOP dogmatism

smalltalk has had a shocking long term impact on software considering how few people have even heard of it these days

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Quackles posted:

it's all because of wpf's awful binding system

where else are you going to put your millions lines of glue code? in the model? in the code-behind?

actually, yeah, the code behind would be a good place. but then it becomes harder to unit test?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Quackles posted:

the original blog post from 2005 introducing it for WPF may be an interesting read if you haven’t seen it before https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/johngossman/introduction-to-modelviewviewmodel-pattern-for-building-wpf-apps

in short, in mvvm:
model: database or whatever
view: the ”design” of your page done a designer “very often using a WYSIWYG tool such as Dreamweaver, Flash or Sparkle”
view-model: the code that actually makes the view work

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
"viewmodel" is what you get when you resolve a bikeshed argument by picking the obviously terrible name that someone threw out as a joke. other than the deliberately confusing name it's a reasonable way to make a gui but the name is so awful.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
mvc is a terrible non-solution but hey let's keep loving that chicken for another 20 years and maybe it will magically start to correspond to reality if we do it hard enough

you should be using a react-like, but unfortunately the only plausible react-like is react, and that requires html and javascript. thus we end up with the electron hellscape we have today.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
mvc is an exercise in layer separation that became dogma

not hard to have your data layer handle storage, your business layer handle all of your logic, and your presentation layer handle how the data is displayed

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Blinkz0rz posted:

mvc is an exercise in layer separation that became dogma

not hard to have your data layer handle storage, your business layer handle all of your logic, and your presentation layer handle how the data is displayed

see yes that would make sense

but in MVC as usually described the logic lives in the data layer and the data layer updates presentation, while the controller handles user inputs updating the model

i.e:

instead of a stacked layer diagram of [model] <-> [controller] <-> [view], which yes, does make perfect sense, but is not technically 'MVC'

or to quote wikipedia:

wiki posted:

Model
The central component of the pattern. It is the application's dynamic data structure, independent of the user interface. It directly manages the data, logic and rules of the application.
View
Any representation of information such as a chart, diagram or table. Multiple views of the same information are possible, such as a bar chart for management and a tabular view for accountants.
Controller
Accepts input and converts it to commands for the model or view.

e:
that's why I said it's OOP dogmatism because the central distinguishing feature is that the model/data contains the logic, somehow; not the bit that you should separate presentation from logic and data storage from logic (in fact it's the opposite, that logic should be joined with the data, which is terrible for obvious reasons)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 17, 2022

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

had a final round interview last week, got an email today to schedule a call to discuss offer details

any last minute advice? I've managed not to say a number so far. I've also got a number in mind that I think is a bit above their range

this is another startup, but they're at least figgyland based. have gotten only rejections or crickets from larger companies so far

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Asleep Style posted:

had a final round interview last week, got an email today to schedule a call to discuss offer details

any last minute advice? I've managed not to say a number so far. I've also got a number in mind that I think is a bit above their range

this is another startup, but they're at least figgyland based. have gotten only rejections or crickets from larger companies so far

Sounds like you know what you want so at this point the ball is in their court. Good luck.

tk fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 18, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Asleep Style posted:

if they're based in figgieland prime, remember that they're legally required to answer the question "what is the range for this position"

sounds like you probably dont need to use that, since you have a good idea of your range, but it's worth keeping in mind regardless

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

infinite wisdom of the interviewing thread I have a burning questions needing an answer: If I currently make 1.3 million DKK doing freelance consulting per annum and a company startup is offering me 720 000 DKK per annum, how much equity do I need from them to make it even remotely worth my time?

Company is the terribly named Matter (thisismatter.com) who do some kind of fintech / ml magic beans they sell to big banks

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

champagne posting posted:

infinite wisdom of the interviewing thread I have a burning questions needing an answer: If I currently make 1.3 million DKK doing freelance consulting per annum and a company startup is offering me 720 000 DKK per annum, how much equity do I need from them to make it even remotely worth my time?

Company is the terribly named Matter (thisismatter.com) who do some kind of fintech / ml magic beans they sell to big banks

how much is privately contributed to some sort of retirement plan/pension on top of that 720k? how much do you sock away toward retirement out of your freelancing income today?

that should be factored in before trying to make up the rest to 1.3 million

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i haven't talked with them on the point of comp beyond the sales pitch from a recruiter. If they're anything like other Danish startups I've heard of / worked for it's 4% pension contribution but time will ultimately tell.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
is 1300k the amount invoiced and does 720k include payroll taxes? because those two numbers may actually be a lot closer when you look at the money-in-pocket figure

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
also 1300kdkk sounds sweet, probably should look into doing danish contracts instead of swedish.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i haven't talked with them on the point of comp beyond the sales pitch from a recruiter. If they're anything like other Danish startups I've heard of / worked for it's 4% pension contribution but time will ultimately tell.

be sure to get the exact formula, a lot of northern european employer pension contributions are x % up to a certain (and fairly low) annual salary, and for any amounts over that shoots up the % quite considerably

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
ugh i hate tech screens

"we'll go through the question and then we'll have some time at the end for you to ask me questions" no we won't, i'll run five minutes over time trying to answer your tech question and feel like an awkward moron before we rush through one of my prepared questions for propriety's sake at the very end

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
you're either getting some weird interviewers or trying too hard during the screen. you can just say "yes i've used <technology>" or "no i haven't used <technology> but i've used <thing> which is probably pretty similar" and move on. The later interviews are where they test your actual abilities and want good answers

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Corla Plankun posted:

you're either getting some weird interviewers or trying too hard during the screen. you can just say "yes i've used <technology>" or "no i haven't used <technology> but i've used <thing> which is probably pretty similar" and move on. The later interviews are where they test your actual abilities and want good answers

sorry, not screen, i mean the phone whiteboard question that they do before they do four more whiteboard questions

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kernel Sanders posted:

is 1300k the amount invoiced and does 720k include payroll taxes? because those two numbers may actually be a lot closer when you look at the money-in-pocket figure

it's 1300k invoiced of which I pay myself up to but not including the upper tax bracket in Denmark, 590k, on which I pay some 40-ish % tax, then the remainder is left in a company i control on which I pay 22% tax. I then get a rebate on my future personal taxes amounting to the 22% previously paid when paying out money from my company to myself.

The awful reality here is that I in the long run pay fewer taxes being a freelancer than if I had a permanent position.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

it's 1300k invoiced of which I pay myself up to but not including the upper tax bracket in Denmark, 590k, on which I pay some 40-ish % tax, then the remainder is left in a company i control on which I pay 22% tax. I then get a rebate on my future personal taxes amounting to the 22% previously paid when paying out money from my company to myself.

The awful reality here is that I in the long run pay fewer taxes being a freelancer than if I had a permanent position.

sounds identical to sweden, except it’s in dkk instead of sek :argh:

thanks for the info!

Kernel Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 19, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kernel Sanders posted:

sounds identical to sweden, except it’s in dkk instead of sek :argh:

thanks for the info!

If you want to work for danish companies for danish money remotely pm me and I'll set you up with a couple of recruiters I know who have been good to me

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

most tech screens involve leetcoding ime. it'd be nice if it was your thing.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

If you want to work for danish companies for danish money remotely pm me and I'll set you up with a couple of recruiters I know who have been good to me

thanks for the offer. i have a pretty sweet gig atm, going to ride that as far as possible

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

most tech screens involve leetcoding ime. it'd be nice if it was your thing.

i think my vocab is just bad. I only refer to the first, easiest interview as a screen (i guess in my head the rest are interviews but the first one is more primitive?) but it looks like everyone else could tell that they were talking about a technical interview which makes more sense

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

for the coding test interviews the best advice imo is what bdid is always posting about "practice being cool under pressure" instead of practicing the actual coding stuff

you probably have good enough chops if you're applying for dev jobs in the first place, i think most people (myself extremely included) just need to work on communicating clearly and effectively under the pressure of an interview (and controlling the conversation so you don't e.g. spend 29 minutes talking about how you can't remember A*, instead spend 10 seconds and then talk about other ways to solve it in the rest of the time)

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

ended up getting an offer, wasn't able to get the number I asked for but I did get them above their stated range. the final offer was the raise I was asking for from my current job drat near on the dot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

be sure to get the exact formula, a lot of northern european employer pension contributions are x % up to a certain (and fairly low) annual salary, and for any amounts over that shoots up the % quite considerably

Update: Pension is an "I'll get back to you" and about getting a chunk of the company it's an "oh boy I'll have to ask the CEO"