Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Has there been any comment on why the netcode is so hosed up and people will warp around the screen if you get a little spike or join a server in another country where it never did that in overwatch 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Blizzard is bad now

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Hashy posted:

Has there been any comment on why the netcode is so hosed up and people will warp around the screen if you get a little spike or join a server in another country where it never did that in overwatch 1

I noticed this too. I get bad ping at certain points of the day and theres always been noticable issues but never anything as bad as this even at much lower pings than i managed to play games at in ow1

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Any obvious gaps for me to learn as my main lineup? I want to get decent with them all eventually but want a base to focus on my first week back in 5 years...

T: Winston, Reinhardt. Backup D.Va but she doesn't click with me yet
DPS: Sombra, Pharah
H: Kiriko, Lucio

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chazani posted:

Has anyone else had issues of rank not changing at all after getting the 7 wins repeatedly?

Winning 7 does not guarantee a rank up. If your personal performance is not better than the current rank status of other players on the same rank and champs you will stay where you are.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Rick posted:

So this is stupid but what is the “stay as team” button on PS5? I can’t remember what it was and can’t seem to find it in the UI.

you can turn the players of the match you just played into a party and queue with them into the next game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BrianBoitano posted:

Any obvious gaps for me to learn as my main lineup? I want to get decent with them all eventually but want a base to focus on my first week back in 5 years...

T: Winston, Reinhardt. Backup D.Va but she doesn't click with me yet
DPS: Sombra, Pharah
H: Kiriko, Lucio

I'd recommend

Tank: Zarya. No joke, actually an insane hero right now. Grav is good defensively (stops nanoblades) and offensively. If you have a team that's diving you can bubble them going in, making sure the dive works and getting you tons of energy in the process. If you have a more standoffy team she's pretty good at brawling.

DPS: either soldier or sojourn. Soldier in particular works really well in the backline if he plays by his healers, as killing an ana naded and being biotic field healed is really hard.

For healers i'd recommend you learn Zen and Ana. Ana is good for games where your team needs a bit of a push (and nano is an easy way to turn a maybe fight into a win. Higher up you'll usually just use it for blade or on your tank) and Zen will open up fights with picks while also forcing genji's to wait on their blades forever because you can just trans it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

dogstile posted:

Bittersteel only talked when he wanted to try and give me poo poo during those tourneys :v:

Lmao

quote:

I think D.va is absolutely incredibly powerful, but if you don't have the game sense to know when to come back, yeah your winrate will drop. Is whoever's checking the stats including the lower ranks? I imagine she's absolutely a tank that fares worse the lower rank you go.

Yeah I'm definitely winning more games at faster rate with D.Va. Currently at a ~63% win rate after maining her for 30 games. Game just feels incredibly easier with her than when I was running JQ. I feel like I don't get demeched too often, and when I do, it's not when I'm pursuing enemies I think are overextending or bullying ones off the high ground; feels like it happens more during big team fights. I posted a VOD of a match I played on New Queen Street and got demeched twice I think? Played 4 comp matches last night and won all 4 pretty convincingly; tried some Orisa and Zarya for 2 of those matches. Zarya seems pretty strong too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Chazani posted:

Has anyone else had issues of rank not changing at all after getting the 7 wins repeatedly?

I've seen videos of people deranking even after 7 wins, lmao. Your ranking is constantly being adjusted after each match, you just don't see it until either you come across 7 wins or 20 losses.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It seems dumb to rank down if you posted 7 wins and no, or few, losses. Big Algorithm doesn't actually know the details of how I'm playing, it just knows if certain metrics went up or down. If I won 7 games and lost zero to three, I shouldn't be ranked down unless, what, even more people had even better win rates?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's probably impossible to downrank if you're [actually] getting twice as many wins as losses

The "downranking" after 7 wins being talked about is losing a bunch of games in the process of those 7 wins or having dismal performance. In ow1 a few seasons after release, stats only mattered for ranking below diamond.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 14, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
zarya bodies dva probably 80% of the time. i think the only time i'd prefer dva is if dps isn't focusing snipers or pharah.

edit: also when are they going to make pharah more better. having soldier and sojourn in the mix kind of makes her craptastic.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Zarya was v good before and she's even better n cooler now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fully charged Zaryas are so scary. The beam is so loud and angry :ohdear:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Winning 7 does not guarantee a rank up. If your personal performance is not better than the current rank status of other players on the same rank and champs you will stay where you are.

are those gameable metrics still in the game? it seems pretty funny that you could win 80% of your matches and it wouldn't count because of some arbitrary bullshit metrics blizzard has devised. what are they trying to track with your rank exactly, your ability to win matches or your ability to pad out your stats?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

using stats before diamond is a good system to place players more quickly in the appropriate skill bracket so games are fairer and therefore in theory more fun and less lopsided

most players actually hate fair games and want lopsided games in their favor

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 14, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm not above admitting that I think blizzard's skill ranking actually works very well and is very good at putting you some place where you'll win or lose about half the time, and it's something I don't want all the time.

When I played TF2 I could always find a valve server and dunk on literal children and damnit, I liked it.

It's like I say about martial arts tournaments: sonofabitch, they keep making me fight other guys that know Jiu Jitsu.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's why Battle Royale games are so popular. They're literally anti-fair.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DoctorJones posted:

you can turn the players of the match you just played into a party and queue with them into the next game.

Oh I understand what it is, I'm just trying to find what to push on my controller. I realize my grammar in the OP was awful.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 14, 2022

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Jack Trades posted:

It's why Battle Royale games are so popular. They're literally anti-fair.

Is this a bit or just massive dunning-kruger? All of the battle royales have sbmm, if you dump a grandmaster in bronze in OW2 they will own just like the equivalent rank getting dropped in whatever battle royale lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Terminal autist posted:

Is this a bit or just massive dunning-kruger? All of the battle royales have sbmm, if you dump a grandmaster in bronze in OW2 they will own just like the equivalent rank getting dropped in whatever battle royale lol.

You can be extremely good at playing poker compared to everyone else but that doesn't mean that a single round of poker is fair the way chess is, for example.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm not above admitting that I think blizzard's skill ranking actually works very well and is very good at putting you some place where you'll win or lose about half the time, and it's something I don't want all the time.

When I played TF2 I could always find a valve server and dunk on literal children and damnit, I liked it.

It's like I say about martial arts tournaments: sonofabitch, they keep making me fight other guys that know Jiu Jitsu.

Total Mayhem seems to be the dunking on children mode.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I am quite aware that winning 7 doesn't guarantee a rank up, as I stated in my post.

I was just curious when it happens 3 times in row with majority of wins in a streak. Which probably should not happen

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
I'm trying to get back into this game after being away for years and I have to say I am just frustrated at some of the bone headed decisions blizz continues to make when there are other games that directly compete with it that do things better. Especially the ranked scene.

You can't add or group with friends easily, its a few menus away and takes you all the way out of a game. You can't leave little notes on profiles. Its a separate UI to send a message, and by default you appear offline to others so that just compounds finding buds to shoot folks with. Why in 2022 are these things not squared away with this company, the same company that basically designed friend lists and match making in WoW a decade ago. Its like they don't WANT you to remember and find new people to play with. You have to hope you can remember who they were in the last few games you had and thats it. I would have thought this would have been THE THING to fix since it was a huge problem in OW1.

Then we go onto the stats thing. The idea of medals was always a boneheaded thing, and the introduction of stats are also super useful. But why stop there? Why can't we see damage done to tanks, to shields, all that stuff? Even if it is right after the game, that stuff can be really helpful on figuring out what works well and what doesn't. Blizzard seems so afraid of stepping on toes (whos toes, I don't know) that they hamper the ability of gamers to actually see what is going on. We still have the same toxicity about healing numbers, damage, etc. but that still doesn't tell the whole story. Either keep it all hidden away or show it all, it'll go a lot further to end the bickering than giving half a story.

They have created such a great IP here but when it comes to executing with some of these things, they are just making a toxicity machine where its better to turn off comms than use them. Other games don't really seem to have this problem to this degree but OW does and I think its because of the way Blizzard approaches transparency to players and because of the potential length of matches. Why even have an all chat? Why not force folks into a voice comm in competitive if thats something folks get toxic about? You require phone numbers but not microphones for competitive play? At least the mic can be useful and relevant to gameplay. Why isn't the voice chat/team chat HUD on the regular tab menu instead of two clicks away to social tab?

Maybe I"m just upset after a rough session, I don't know. I just feel so let down after coming back to this game to find it just as toxic and unbalanced as before. I love the IP but it kills me to get so irritated after a few games. I don't feel this way after other competitive games, it just seems to be Overwatch. Ooof i could go off on a whole thing about their balancing issues too, just such bone headed decisions.

OK logging back in thanks for reading.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My biggest issue with the game is that none of my friends play it and even if they did all my friends are deathly afraid of ranked :negative:

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Kazinsal posted:

My biggest issue with the game is that none of my friends play it and even if they did all my friends are deathly afraid of ranked :negative:

Your friends are smart.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Chazani posted:

I am quite aware that winning 7 doesn't guarantee a rank up, as I stated in my post.

I was just curious when it happens 3 times in row with majority of wins in a streak. Which probably should not happen

Maybe you're getting carried? Not trying to be rude, but just suggesting that's a possibility.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I don't understand the uproar over the phone thing. I'm trying to picture someone who has the money for a gaming PC or a console with XBL/PSN subscription on top of monthly broadband internet, but no phone? Seems like the phone ought to be the first thing on the priority list.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Dick Jones posted:

I don't understand the uproar over the phone thing. I'm trying to picture someone who has the money for a gaming PC or a console with XBL/PSN subscription on top of monthly broadband internet, but no phone? Seems like the phone ought to be the first thing on the priority list.

Lol

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Dick Jones posted:

I think the issue was how the FCC was classifying certain carriers, so popular pay as you go options like Cricket were denied. They could easily provide an alternative for people with "burner phones" like submitting ID or something.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Dick Jones posted:

It's more the obviously selling the info to X organization (usually ad companies) for money that always happens with this kind of info. I've given up but some people still try not to do stuff like that. Like at least if you sell my info give me a cut assholes.

DrBox posted:

I think the issue was how the FCC was classifying certain carriers, so popular pay as you go options like Cricket were denied. They could easily provide an alternative for people with "burner phones" like submitting ID or something.

It's odd that they didn't do this and honestly gets to one of the core issues of the non gameplay parts of OW2.

Everything from the battlepass to the shop prices to the MMR system seems like it was just placeholder stuff that got pushed out because they had to get new content out as fast as possible (shareholders?) and they keep the battlepass stuff to try and milk whales before they realize it's not selling well after like 3 months and drop all the prices,

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 14, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Terminal autist posted:

br is a game mode that rewards passive looting, camping defensive strongholds, fair fight avoidance, and third partying instead of actively shooting people

To run around actively shooting people and doing well requires a huge skill gap which is what often happens in even the SBMM giant BR lobbies.

You can see the gameplay massively slow down and reward passive boring play in higher stakes tournies when players are more evenly matched and take the outcome of the game seriously.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

can all Japanese people climb walls?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Scholtz posted:

can all Japanese people climb walls?

And do magic!

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
i had a streak of 8 complete steamroll losses today so that's cool

i will be in the bronze 5 mines forever

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's about the journey not the destination

the journey is a bunch of manbabies yelling at you that you personally caused their loss

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

75% winrate as bridgette and hit gold ranked. not bad for only starting to play her yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

And do magic!

Evidently it’s not magic but “hard light projections” and nano bots.

All three of the Japanese characters are related too. Are all Japanese people related?