Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

Does anyone have an informed opinion / is there any accepted wisdom about blending different beans? I have a big, big bag of very inoffensive of ultimately bland beans. And I have a roaster who makes beans that have very interesting flavors but are far too intense in their acidity. Is it worth just trying to go 2/3 + 1/3 with the different beans? Are there any sort of guiding principles in terms of what goes together well?

sweetmarias has rather extensive discussions about blending in their library. "i want to mellow out a too-intense bean" is a very classic goal, 2/3 1/3 is a reasonable starting place in my experience

there's no like actual rules, just think about flavors you think might be complementary and see what happens. there's a lot of classic blends (moka-java being the most famous) and also just a lot of espresso blends that amount to some variation on "mild american filler + maybe an indonesian coffee + something african for high notes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Should I spend probably too much money on these beans from Onyx?

https://onyxcoffeelab.com/products/ethiopia-worka-chelbesa?variant=39988795375714

https://onyxcoffeelab.com/products/decade?variant=40007039451234

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

anyone else have a wilfa uniform? the hopper and adjustment is now completely stuck, so I can't open it or adjust it at all, and it happened while I was trying to open it to try to sort out an issue where it sometimes won't go below 11 or 10, so it's stuck at a position where it is totally and completely useless. how do I fix this? :(

and also, what's a manual grinder that isn't complete and utter garbage that I can use for pourovers and aeropress?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I loving just got two whole bags from Wendelboe's subscription, too. I hate everything

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I have one. Were you not careful to not get grounds in the threading when opening it? You might have to force it?

The Commandante C40 used to be the benchmark, might still be.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

don't think there were any ground in the threads. it feels so firmly stuck now, that I'm afraid that if I force it I might physically damage it in some way. it's less than a year old, so I think I'll just drag it to the store I bought it in for, uh, reklamasjon (whatever that is in English)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

ulvir posted:

and also, what's a manual grinder that isn't complete and utter garbage that I can use for pourovers and aeropress?

When I asked the thread a little over a year ago, I was recommended the 1zpresso JX-Pro and I have no complaints. I also have no basis for comparison but I do watch any new grinder comparison video and it always does well.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna go wild.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I want my kaffelogic now thanks.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Google Butt posted:

I want my kaffelogic now thanks.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Hoffmann just taunting Joffmann in his latest video.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I did like the moment of weird childish glee at the ball spinning hopper.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Joffman's latest, about the Ali Express video, is amazing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i drank a lot of coffee from chelbesa last year and just ordered some new crop from sweetmaria's. obv there's a lot of variation between batches even within the same washing station and it's not necessarily true of all coffee from there, but that's one case where i'd believe their notes when they say it's big earl grey

the last batch I had (labelled 'Chelbesa Danche' by them) was by far the most bergamotty coffee I've ever had, it felt like it just outright drinking earl grey at times. i've had a lot of washed eths since then but that one easily had the most intensity of the orange note of any i've tried

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 14, 2022

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

eke out posted:

i drank a lot of coffee from chelbesa last year and just ordered some new crop from sweetmaria's. obv there's a lot of variation between batches even within the same washing station and it's not necessarily true of all coffee from there, but that's one case where i'd believe their notes when they say it's big earl grey

the last batch I had (labelled 'Chelbesa Danche' by them) was by far the most bergamotty coffee I've ever had, it felt like it just outright drinking earl grey at times. i've had a lot of washed eths since then but that one easily had the most intensity of the orange note of any i've tried

That sounds great. If you come across anything similar, or other interesting notes that are more tea like I'm curious.

I had a bag of some sort of Gesha from Brandywine last year that my wife thought tasted like oolong tea. It was only $23/12 oz bag which is substantially cheaper than any other Gesha I've seen advertised.

Found the item name, but the product page no longer exists:

quote:

Costa Rica Tarrazu La Candelilla Washed Geisha Finca Caciques Micro Lot

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MetaJew posted:

That sounds great. If you come across anything similar, or other interesting notes that are more tea like I'm curious.

I had a bag of some sort of Gesha from Brandywine last year that my wife thought tasted like oolong tea. It was only $23/12 oz bag which is substantially cheaper than any other Gesha I've seen advertised.

Found the item name, but the product page no longer exists:

washed coffees from the great lakes area have a lot of black tea-like flavors really commonly, particularly rwanda, burundi, and DRC in terms of stuff i've tried.

also i'm pretty new to Java cultivar but every one I've tried has had green tea type flavors that can be very nice. like wendelboe's caballero java last year was very green tea-y, as are these two things im gonna roast soon https://www.sweetmarias.com/honduras-comayagua-donato-java-7307.html https://www.sweetmarias.com/nicaragua-los-altiplanos-java-cultivar-7356.html

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Anyone else here have a Lido 2 grinder? I keep reading 24 notches is ideal for french press but, after zeroing out, 24 notches is just enough to have the bottom fall off altogether.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a Lido 2 and use one full revolution and a few extra notches for French Press. One revolution from zero is 16 notches so it's probably in the realm of ~21 notches. Your Lido 2 should be able to do at least two full revolutions and change before it falls off.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 15, 2022

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Not sure what's up with mine, then
I get about 1.5 revolutions before its off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does your handle swing when it's at zero? It should be stationary.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I've done it both ways, with zero at when it locks up and zero when you back it off just enough for the handle to become turnable. Reddit recommended the latter but it's maybe a half notch difference either way I think.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Gunder posted:

Lagom Mini should be in contention. Moonshine burrs particularly.

Appreciate it! I took a look and it does look goo but the capacity being 30g seems a bit small

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Ok Hoffman is absolutely just making videos specifically for Hames Joffman now (and I love it)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Hawkperson posted:

Ok Hoffman is absolutely just making videos specifically for Hames Joffman now (and I love it)

Is this the one about the coffee balls

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is this the one about the coffee balls

Yes

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

man, dialling in a hand grinder (for filter) is a bit more faff than an electric one

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Speaking of Hoffmann, I was in London recently and had the chance to go to his cafe to do the Old School vs New School espresso tasting featuring the restored Faema that he purchased.

The Faema a gorgeous espresso machine. Pictures and video hardly do it justice. It makes great coffee, too. The side-by-side comparison was a bit of a missed opportunity, IMO. The old and new machines used different coffees, so you couldn't really taste the effect of the machines in isolation.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Could you not just ask them to make the old school coffee on a new machine or some new school coffee on the old one?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

thotsky posted:

Could you not just ask them to make the old school coffee on a new machine or some new school coffee on the old one?

The coffees would have to be dialed in differently for each machine and that would be impractical for a cafe with the amount of traffic that Prufrock gets.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I mean, it might not be an ideal shot, but it's hardly going to ruin the machine right?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It would take long enough for them to set that up for you that it would be a bit of an imposition on a busy café.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

ulvir posted:

I am closing in on 3 years with my Lido E. It has been a joy and hasn’t let me down from French press to espresso. It grinds consistently, quickly, and is built like a tank. On the other hand, It’s big and heavy (probably uncomfortable for smaller hands) and the grind adjustment is a little unintuitive but you can get the hang of it and be precise.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

i own every Bionicle posted:

I am closing in on 3 years with my Lido E. It has been a joy and hasn’t let me down from French press to espresso. It grinds consistently, quickly, and is built like a tank. On the other hand, It’s big and heavy (probably uncomfortable for smaller hands) and the grind adjustment is a little unintuitive but you can get the hang of it and be precise.

I've been really happy with mine too. I have an E-T.

I love this it has twice the capacity of every other hand grinder so I don't need to grind two batches to make 750ml of coffee for me and my SO.

It's also incredible easy to take apart and clean, or zero out the burrs if needed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They have a new LIDO attachment that makes grind adjustments super easy. It's $50.

https://www.oehandgrinders.com/lido-adjustment-module--2mm-coarse-thread-set.html

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I was in a bit of a hurry, but got some advice elsewhere too, and landed on an 1zpresso JX grinder last week. it’s working pretty well and apart from under-extraction due to still figuring out the sweet-spot, the coffee tastes just as good as from the wilfa uniform so far, so I’m pretty happy with it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

ulvir posted:

I was in a bit of a hurry, but got some advice elsewhere too, and landed on an 1zpresso JX grinder last week. it’s working pretty well and apart from under-extraction due to still figuring out the sweet-spot, the coffee tastes just as good as from the wilfa uniform so far, so I’m pretty happy with it

I got a K plus or whatever from them and it was really impressive. I was using with a Wacoco handheld espresso maker and it was a challenge dialing them in because it was my first time using either and the Wacoco is super fussy but the 1zpresso was a joy to use, very well made and ground surprisingly easily and quickly and the grounds coming out looked really nice and even.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm considering lighting a bunch of money on fire and getting into home espresso making. I'm leaning towards a Flair. I like the look, the cost, what looks like a semi-portable system I can bring with me in the eventual camper van. Naturally, this means I need a new grinder. Intrigued by the Lido mentioned earlier. Seems like the OG would do everything I want? Seems like people have been really happy with the grind consistency.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was gifted a Stagg EKG kettle and it is really impressive. Much better build quality and nicer design than the standard Hario and Bonavita. The pouring action is also very nice. Easy to do a very slow and thin stream of water. The wooden handle is ultra comfortable. I really didn't know what I was missing.

My only complaint is that it's pink colored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, it’s a lovely kettle. I’ve been using the electric version for years now. Worth every penny.